HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Kovalchuk

Old
06-26-2009, 02:21 PM
Retail1LO
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Retail1LO Send a message via AIM to Retail1LO Send a message via MSN to Retail1LO
Kovalchuk

He has one year left on his deal right? I'm going to go out on a limb and assume he doesn't want to return to Atlanta after this year. (Does anyone want to go to Atlanta?). I'm also guessing the Thrashers would rather not lose him for nothing. Wouldn't he be an asset worth dangling for a chance to make some noise in the draft?

Retail1LO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 02:23 PM
Mister Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retail1LO View Post
He has one year left on his deal right? I'm going to go out on a limb and assume he doesn't want to return to Atlanta after this year. (Does anyone want to go to Atlanta?). I'm also guessing the Thrashers would rather not lose him for nothing. Wouldn't he be an asset worth dangling for a chance to make some noise in the draft?
This may shock you, but he actually wants to come back. He wants to see what Don does this summer and hopefully Don gets a good player or two and then Kovy would re-sign. He's not going to be traded.

Mister Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 02:24 PM
radaich

yeah if their smart they'll trade him now or end up like the wild loosing gabby for nothing

radaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Fatturdmanshark
Kiss my Fins

Wow, way to drag Thrashers fans and their club through the sewer...Atlanta's underdeveloped as a whole in terms of hockey right now, but they have passionate hockey fans who care down there...I've read Kovalchuk does want to stay, he just wants to see Wadell's doing all he can to help make the cast & crew around Ilya a more formidable team...I don't see them trading him now for anything but the best of the barn from someone.

Fatturdmanshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Kovalchuk would be worth a ridiculous amount.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
AK

They'll probably hang onto him at least until the deadline.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 02:26 PM
fatschoonerrat

Quote:
I'm going to go out on a limb and assume he doesn't want to return to Atlanta after this year. (Does anyone want to go to Atlanta?).
Ugh.

fatschoonerrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 02:28 PM
Heaters not lazt*

If he is traded this season I bet he gets more than any rental player has ever gotten. I think he signs in ATL, though.

Heaters not lazt* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 02:32 PM
Retail1LO
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to Retail1LO Send a message via AIM to Retail1LO Send a message via MSN to Retail1LO
Hey look...I apologize. Relax. I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers. I don't know. That's why I asked. If he's thrilled with the way the Thrashers are running the organization, great. I mean, the loss of Heatley and the man they got for him in return...in addition to Savard's departure just makes it seem like Atlanta isn't a popular destination for players to go. How many years has Kovalchuk been in the league now? How much longer do you folks feel it will be before they're a bona fide contender?

I've never seen one player make a champion out of a team all by his lonesome...and think that the kind of return they could get for him would be an incredible launch platform for this franchise.

Old
06-26-2009, 02:34 PM
Enstrom39

Quote:
I've some things in the last 7-10 days that indicate he will re-sign in Atlanta.

Enstrom39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 02:39 PM
Flyers Fan Forever

He's making a dumb move if he resigns with Atlanta

I'm not trying to troll; Atlanta isn't going to be good for awhile and he's just entering his prime. It would make so much sense to sign with Detroit or Pittsburgh or someone like that (cap room aside) and bring in Cup after Cup

Flyers Fan Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 02:39 PM
kyle evs48
Devilish Boy Grin

Untouchable. Removing Kovalchuk from Atlanta kills the market.

kyle evs48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 02:41 PM
Fatturdmanshark
Kiss my Fins

Quote:
...and think that the kind of return they could get for him would be an incredible launch platform for this franchise.
I agree. There isn't a team out there that would give ATL what they'll be asking is the problem, especially in this economy..UFA's and developing players through the draft is vital right now...Wadell has no want to trade Kovalchuk unless he pull's a Heatley and flips a full thanksgiving dinner table onto grandma & grandpa...Kovalchuk doesn't have the same motivations as Hossa...That's very obvious at this point...He wants very much to deliver great success to ATL....Not jump the bandwagon of the front runner...

Fatturdmanshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 02:43 PM
Elyoric

Quote:
I'm going to go out on a limb and assume he doesn't want to return to Atlanta after this year.
You know what happens when you assume right?

Elyoric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 02:43 PM
Heaters not lazt*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elyoric View Post
You make an ass out of you and me?

Old
06-26-2009, 02:44 PM
Retail1LO
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle evs48 View Post
Untouchable? Yeah...maybe for the next year...and then anyone can touch him that wants to. He'll be an RFA. The point is...there's a risk the guy leaves for nothing. Now the market which you speak of, loses Kovalchuk AND gets nothing in return.

Unless it's a slam dunk this guy resigns...I just don't know how you can brush it off as something that doesn't need to be entertained.

If you're Kovalchuk, you're watching kids like Crosby, Malkin, and Ovechkin start their careers later than you...on teams that are already competing deep into the playoffs, with great supporting casts.

You have to wonder how long it'll be, if ever, before you're in a similar situation.

Old
06-26-2009, 02:45 PM
AK

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle evs48 View Post
You know what would restore the market? Winning, and you don't win without a good young base of players. Kovy is a pending UFA and should absolutely be traded if the Thrashers can't get an extension done with him.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 02:46 PM
Retail1LO
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elyoric View Post
Yeah...sometimes you make the correct assumption and save yourself the emberasment of having assumed otherwise.

Old
06-26-2009, 02:49 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Fan Forever View Post
He's making a dumb move if he resigns with Atlanta

I'm not trying to troll; Atlanta isn't going to be good for awhile and he's just entering his prime. It would make so much sense to sign with Detroit or Pittsburgh or someone like that (cap room aside) and bring in Cup after Cup
If you one of the best players in the league, and IK is IMO, you want to be the foundation that makes a team better. You want to be the man, not be 3rd fiddle to Datsyuk & Zetterberg or Crosby & Malkin. I think it's incumbent on the Thrashers to add some talent, which is why the rumor of Hemsky to ATL for the 4th overall made sense to me.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 02:50 PM
Flyers Fan Forever

Yeah, well he can be the "man" all he wants.

We'll just mention him in threads about the greatest players never to win the Cup and that will be that.

Flyers Fan Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 02:50 PM
Heaters not lazt*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letang58 View Post
You know what would restore the market? Winning, and you don't win without a good young base of players. Kovy is a pending UFA and should absolutely be traded if the Thrashers can't get an extension done with him.
And you don't get a good base of players without KOvalchuk.

He wont be traded.

Old
06-26-2009, 02:53 PM
Retail1LO
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letang58 View Post
Thank you. You're not going to kill your fan base or your market by trading Kovalchuk. You're going to do it by continuously not winning. And between the poor drafting and trading that Atlanta's participated in previously...you have to start in the right direction sooner or later.

Look at the Islanders. Their draft and trade history was one of the biggest jokes for years. I'm not even an Isles fan, and it's been painful for me to watch that poor fan base have to suffer through the things they've witnessed. But sooner or later you have to right the ship. St. Louis, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Washington, and whomever else...are all building strong cores through the draft. At some point you have to right the ship...and building from scratch is often the best remedy. Shed the salary, gather up the picks, suffer through the tough seasons and cultivate your own high draft choices.

You could trade Kovalchuk, and have a couple of top 10 picks this year, plus some more picks and/or primo prospects.

Old
06-26-2009, 02:55 PM
Retail1LO
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
If you one of the best players in the league, and IK is IMO, you want to be the foundation that makes a team better. You want to be the man, not be 3rd fiddle to Datsyuk & Zetterberg or Crosby & Malkin. I think it's incumbent on the Thrashers to add some talent, which is why the rumor of Hemsky to ATL for the 4th overall made sense to me.

What has Alex Hemsky ever done that makes him worth dumping the 4th overall pick? Christ...if they can't get better than him for the 4th overall pick...then you guys are in an irreparable amount of trouble.

Old
06-26-2009, 02:57 PM
Retail1LO
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaters not lazt View Post
And you don't get a good base of players without KOvalchuk.

He wont be traded.

Really? Like having Kovalchuk alone in Atlanta is going to be a huge draw for other players? Who's he pulled into the mix on his own?

Old
06-26-2009, 02:58 PM
Retail1LO
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Fan Forever View Post
Yeah, well he can be the "man" all he wants.

We'll just mention him in threads about the greatest players never to win the Cup and that will be that.

Amen to that.