HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Kovalchuk

Old
06-26-2009, 05:26 PM
fatschoonerrat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kshahdoo View Post
Kovalchuk to NYI for 1st overall + Okposo?
I'd take that in a heartbeat. Then we re-sign Kovalchuk next year and spend while all the other teams are reeling from the lower cap.

fatschoonerrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 05:33 PM
Alex28*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retail1LO View Post
That right there is a good proposal. However...that's pretty much the entire stable of Canuck prospects outside of Schneider.
That's what a forward of Kovalchuk's caliber would legitimately cost. Him and Ovechkin are miles ahead of all other snipers in the NHL right now.

Possibly if Hodgson is replaced with Kesler it would still be workable. But Edler would absolutely have to be involved.

Alex28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 05:35 PM
TasteofFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
Hemsky is a PPG player playing with non-1st line talent, is still only 25 YO, and locked up for (I think) 3 more years at a very reasonable rate. Your assumption that every 4th round pick automatically turns out to be a signficantly better player than Ales Hemsky tells me all I need to no about your level of hockey knowledge.
Was the rumor to be the 4th overall for Hemskey and the Oilers pick? I'd love to get Hemskey, him and Kovlachuk would be dynamite, but I don't really like the idea of not having a pick in the first round this year. Gotta keep the cupboards stocked. The thing is, Hemskey is pretty much ideal, but I think we could trade the 4th for a solid defensive d-man and a 1st rounder, which would be a better deal for ATL. So w/o the oiler's pick, ATL can throw something in, I don't think it would happen.

TasteofFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 11:47 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

one thing is abundantly clear to me at this point

no one knows what the hell they're talking about when they talk about atlanta

Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 01:00 AM
Dixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Rogers View Post
This may shock you, but he actually wants to come back. He wants to see what Don does this summer and hopefully Don gets a good player or two and then Kovy would re-sign. He's not going to be traded.
That is what the Florida fans were saying about JayBo. The fact is this is pure speculation and no random fan has any insights into what Kovolchuk wants to do. I think people underestimate the desire to play in a city where hockey is a big part of the culture. Let's face it, Atlanta is a pretty bad sports town and hockey is 4 of 4 there. I sure he would like to play in front of consistent sell out crowds, in a city with some tradition.

Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 01:20 AM
Mister Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzHockey View Post
That is what the Florida fans were saying about JayBo. The fact is this is pure speculation and no random fan has any insights into what Kovolchuk wants to do. I think people underestimate the desire to play in a city where hockey is a big part of the culture. Let's face it, Atlanta is a pretty bad sports town and hockey is 4 of 4 there. I sure he would like to play in front of consistent sell out crowds, in a city with some tradition.
Well, he has stated he wants to stay. This may shock you as well, some people ACTUALLY want to play in Atlanta. Shocking isnt it.

Kovy - http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/pr...tlid=inform_sr
Reasoner - http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/pr...tlid=inform_sr

Mister Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 01:46 AM
Sciamachy
Shadow Coyote

Quote:
kind of contradictory there don't you think?

Sciamachy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 11:22 AM
Dixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sceva Sct View Post
kind of contradictory there don't you think?
A little but my assumption was much more reasonable.

Old
06-27-2009, 11:23 AM
Dixon

Quote:
Well, he has stated he wants to stay. This may shock you as well, some people ACTUALLY want to play in Atlanta. Shocking isnt it.

Kovy - http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/pr...tlid=inform_sr
Reasoner - http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/pr...tlid=inform_sr
I'm sure he's going to say he doesn't want to be there when he still has to play out the year there.

Old
06-27-2009, 11:30 AM
Mister Rogers

Quote:
I'm sure he's going to say he doesn't want to be there when he still has to play out the year there.
I legitimately think he wants to stay. Hes always saying things about it being his team and wanting to stay because they drafted him.

Old
06-27-2009, 11:36 AM
Sanderson

Quote:
He definately wouldn't talk about heading in the right direction and figuring out a way to sign a new deal if he wasn't interested in staying.

If he wasn't interested in staying, he simply wouldn't say anything at all. You are really grasping at straws here.

Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 11:42 AM
Mister Rogers

Don just came on and said they have had good talks and are moving closer to a long term extension

Old
06-27-2009, 03:50 PM
Alex28*

Quote:
Give up already. You're more clueless than Garth Snow after the 1st round.

Alex28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 03:56 PM
Go Habs Go

Quote:
This may shock you, but he actually wants to come back. He wants to see what Don does this summer and hopefully Don gets a good player or two and then Kovy would re-sign. He's not going to be traded.
Regardless of him wanting to stay or not, shouldn't the Thrashers want to trade him? The team has tons of holes and weaknesses. Trading Kovalchuk can fix all of that. its not meant to bash the Thrashers or anything, it just seems to make sense to me. He's not going to help you win a cup anytime soon, why not just trade him to get missing pieces of the puzzle to have a more complete team, a solid core.

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 04:09 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Habs Go View Post
Regardless of him wanting to stay or not, shouldn't the Thrashers want to trade him? The team has tons of holes and weaknesses. Trading Kovalchuk can fix all of that. its not meant to bash the Thrashers or anything, it just seems to make sense to me. He's not going to help you win a cup anytime soon, why not just trade him to get missing pieces of the puzzle to have a more complete team, a solid core.
I would go over all the reasons why the Thrashers are closer than you think, but I don't think you really care. You just want the Thrashers to trade him to a team "closer to winning a cup" like your Canadiens perhaps?

If teams like Pitt, Philly, Carolina among others can have quick turnarounds from losers to winners...why can't the Thrashers.

Building a Stanley Cup winner around Ilya is a much more likely proposition than building one without him, which is why I think we see so many threads about people trying acquire him in a trade.

If he doesn't want to re-sign this summer, I would move him in a heartbeat. But if he wants to stay in Atlanta, you keep him and build around him.

btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 05:25 PM
AintLifeGrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Habs Go View Post

Atlanta will probably have less holes than your Habs next year dawg

AintLifeGrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 06:10 PM
Sabreality

vCash: 50
i feel the need to defend the Thrashers here and sometimes wonder if people actually watch the games or are more enamored with blogs, message boards and what the media tells them. ATL finished the year 18-12-1, pretty respectable and much better than a lot of teams around the league. It takes time with a rookie coach and it seemed like the players bought into and learned the system as the year progressed, along with shedding some dead weight along the way and making some shrewd pickups. There is a nice little core, along with players that fit into their roles and intriguing prospects not too far away (not to mention the very nice draft they had this weekend). They arent as far away as people think and with 2 or 3 solid FA pickups could contend for a playoff spot as soon as this year. no joke.

And as far as ATL being a bad sports town, i dont think its fair to lump the Thrashers in with the Braves, Hawks and Falcons. Atlanta is a city full of transplants, many of whom came from Detroit, Chicago, WNY, NYC, Bos, Philly, etc, i.e. hockeyfans. Many of us moved here when the Thrashers were getting started, so there was no built in rivalry with our 'hometown' teams, so we embraced our new team in our new home. Whereas many of us already loathed the Braves, Hawks, Falcons, we didnt have that feeling with the Thrashers. While the Sabres are my #1 team, the Thrashers are a close 1B. There are enough fans here to make it work...now Waddell and the Owners are a whole other topic...Just some thoughts.

Sabreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 06:22 PM
IslesDude

Atlanta definitely isn't as bad as people like to say. They are probably getting better for the first time in their history. In years past they only had Kovalchuk/Hossa and a bunch of old crappy players.

Now they have

Kovalchuk, Little, Bogosian, Enstrom, Kane. That is definitely progress. There is also some long term potential in guys like Esposito and Leveille. Some other great young supporting players in Armstrong and Valabik. Of course Pavelec and Machachek in Chicago solid prospects as well. They are better than they have ever been in regards to growing young talent.

Their draft also went very well. I was pretty sad with the Isles didn't get Klingberg. That guy will be a good second line player sooner than you think.

IslesDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 07:22 PM
BreakTheWallsDown
HFBoards Prospect

Send a message via AIM to BreakTheWallsDown Send a message via MSN to BreakTheWallsDown
I'm still confused as to how some people think atlanta is a bad sports town. The Falcons are now a great team are are gonna be in the playoffs for years to come, the hawks have a solid young team who have made the playoffs recently and are only going to get better, the braves are sort of mediocre at the moment but theyre coming off of a huge streak of being one of the best teams in baseball for over a decade and all they lack to be a contender again is consistency, and the thrashers are finally developing a solid young core of players to build around and are going to be in the playoffs again soon.

Every time I go to any sports game here in Atlanta, the crowds are absolutely electric.

So how does that make for a bad sports town?

BreakTheWallsDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 08:20 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by illusion856 View Post

when every time we play a team from buffalo, pittsburgh, boston, or detroit it looks like an away game

that's how

Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 10:02 PM
Telfo
THRASHERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by illusion856 View Post
I'm still confused as to how some people think atlanta is a bad sports town. The Falcons are now a great team are are gonna be in the playoffs for years to come, the hawks have a solid young team who have made the playoffs recently and are only going to get better, the braves are sort of mediocre at the moment but theyre coming off of a huge streak of being one of the best teams in baseball for over a decade and all they lack to be a contender again is consistency, and the thrashers are finally developing a solid young core of players to build around and are going to be in the playoffs again soon.

Every time I go to any sports game here in Atlanta, the crowds are absolutely electric.

we are a town of fairweather fans and transplants.

Telfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 11:25 PM
AintLifeGrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes 10 View Post
when every time we play a team from buffalo, pittsburgh, boston, or detroit it looks like an away game

that's how

its the same with the Bravos too...just indicitive of Atlanta being infiltrated by Carpetbaggers

Last edited by AintLifeGrand: 06-27-2009 at 11:50 PM.
AintLifeGrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 11:36 PM
NWAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundsHansen32 View Post
Wow, way to drag Thrashers fans and their club through the sewer...Atlanta's underdeveloped as a whole in terms of hockey right now, but they have passionate hockey fans who care down there...I've read Kovalchuk does want to stay, he just wants to see Wadell's doing all he can to help make the cast & crew around Ilya a more formidable team...I don't see them trading him now for anything but the best of the barn from someone.
Seriously, I think they are going to be a bit better with Kane up front. Bogo should be helping a lot also.

NWAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 01:28 PM
canadianeh

I just wanted to comment in this one.

Atlanta has some good quality young players. Bogosian is a blue chipper for sure. I like Kane even though he's gonna need a while and my gut tells me he will be an above average but not quite great player

But do I think they will make the playoffs next year? No.

Still too young and not talented enough. Also not a team that has the ability to attract big name and quality FA's.

So just like i'd reason on Tampa. It might make MORE sense to use your 1 true commodity to revamp things.

Kovalchuk SEEMS unhappy to me. And i admit i could be wrong. BUt his body language for a while has been terrible. I'm guessing you're headed for a JBo type "everyone knows he wants out" divorce after this year.

So if i'm Waddell. I'm LOOKING to see what i could get now. If I can add a young roster player or 2, plus picks and a couple prospects. I'm def thinking it over.

Yes, you might be sacrificing this year. But that can also mean you've stockpiled a lot of young talent and can really give them the NHL coaching and ice time that will have them flying in 2-3 years.

Pittsburgh won a cup by SUCKING for 4-5 years and drafting well and high. Chicago did the same. Atlanta already has had the same going on for 2 years.

It's basically boiling it down to coming to terms that you LET your superstar go, rather than just lost him (this takes guts, a GM will not get nearly as much heat for a guy who leaves as a FA, and he can lay the blame on them, rather than dealing the guy and have the fans put the blame on him).

But the truth is, if you trade the guy (who is very possibly leaving anyway) and get 4-5 good young assets, you could be a damn good team in a couple years.

Unfortunately most teams don't have that foresight.

The biggest reason the Habs (my team) and been mediocre for so long, is that the media/fans DEMAND they do everything to win and never let them flat out stink long enough to really get some top flight draft picks. Even when they miss the playoffs they end up picking 10th or so. If they had had a couple top 3 picks, they'd be much better now.

canadianeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2009, 08:39 PM
PerfectStorm*

Atlanta signed Antropov and traded for Kubina. It looks pretty unlikely that they're going to get anyone else but at least they got some decent players. The southeast division isn't particularly daunting either, with Tampa and Florida figuring to do poorly. Waddell is going to pull out all the stops to get players this year because if the team starts sucking again this year he could and should be fired and so someone else can handle the rebuild job as Kovalchuk will certainly be gone. In truth he will probably leave even if Atlanta can squeeze into the 8th spot as they are clearlly have brutal ownership and are unwilling to spend.

PerfectStorm* is offline   Reply With Quote