HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Official 2009 Draft Thread (continued)

Closed Thread

Old
06-20-2009, 12:29 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

vCash: 500
Official 2009 Draft Thread (continued)

Thread continued from: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=628564&page=40

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

That Gordie Clark interview didn't give any answers. Essentially, he said he liked every player Gross brought up, and said that every possibility was open to the Rangers. Frankly, just sounds like they don't seem interested in letting anyone know what they're planning to do. I can't see them picking a defenseman. I could see a trade up or a trade down, though.

Whatever they do, they better not pick Kadri. He's going to be garbage in this league. If they can't trade up for Kassian, then I'm hoping for Morin, Holland, or Kreider. Palmieiri...eh, I'm not a huge fan. Would not mind trading down and taking a Budish or a Werek, if it meant getting some more picks in the 2nd.

Last edited by Melrose_Jr.: 06-21-2009 at 09:07 AM.
Old
06-20-2009, 12:33 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=32384

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=32370

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=32371

None of these NHL.com mocks have Morin going in the first round. I dunno how I feel about that. I could easily see the Penguins or Devils taking him if he's available. If he does happen to fall into the 2nd, what would our prospects be of picking up an early second? Maybe the Lightning would be willing to part with theirs in exchange for a 2nd and a 5th? The Avalanche?

Old
06-20-2009, 12:35 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
If we trade up, Glennie is our guy.

Do it. It would be worth it.

#19, Rozsival

For

#9 (Ottawa) = Glennie

Or the same deal for #10 (Dallas)

Both teams may want a defenseman like Rozsival.

Then how about:

#47, #80, Korpikoski?

for something in the mid-late 20's (Islanders at #26?) and take one of Kreider, Palmieri, and Morin.
Both teams might like Rozsival but might not want what's left of his contract--3 years for $15 for what is essentially a #3 d-man.

A 2nd, 3rd and Korpikoski for the #26 is way too much.

Old
06-20-2009, 12:46 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvage21 View Post
I see a lot of support for Kyle Palmieri on here now.. Is it that it seems almost inevitable that the Rangers will choose him or that a lot of you guys actually like him at 19? Because to be honest, I'm not so sure I like the pick or see the potential.
The combine tests were reason enough to give him a second look. Palmieri is not very big but is very powerful for his size. He won or placed in the top 5 of half the categories. His style is also a Parise get your nose dirty type style. To me there are strong similarities between the two. As for who I'd rather have Carter or Parise--it's Parise.

Old
06-20-2009, 12:49 PM
TrojanRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvage21 View Post
I see a lot of support for Kyle Palmieri on here now.. Is it that it seems almost inevitable that the Rangers will choose him or that a lot of you guys actually like him at 19? Because to be honest, I'm not so sure I like the pick or see the potential.
He's a good skater, plays bigger than he is, goes into the corners and wins battles but the biggest thing that draws me to Palmieri is that he is willing to pay the price in front of the net.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I actually like what I've heard about Palmieri more than a guy like Schoreder who is being touted as a possible top 10 pick.

Old
06-20-2009, 01:28 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
I've heard from NHL people who believe Brandon forward Brayden Schenn will be chosen anywhere from 3rd overall by Colorado to a couple spots later to one of any number of teams including Toronto who might move up. The L.A. Kings might be happy to trade back with the Leafs because according to one source, they apparently like Nazem Kadri but not enough to take him in the #5 spot. The Phoenix Coyotes have been playing host to Russian defenceman Dmitry Kulikov fueling speculation that the Drummondville import might go higher than so far predicted. Swede Oliver Ekman-Larsson is loved by many in mock drafts and can be found well inside the top 10 on many of them but outside by just as many others. One insider predicted that if the Leafs fail to move up to grab either Tavares or Schenn that they may go off the board a bit and choose Peterborough power forward Zack Kassian - much earlier than anyone is thinking right now.
Quote:
If you're one of the teams picking 9th-12th, the next handful of players to be considered the 'Best Player Available' may include London Knights forward Nazem Kadri and a trio of defencemen consisting of Swedes Oliver Ekman-Larsson and David Rundblad as well as John Moore of the USHL's Chicago Steel.
Quote:
A wild card to keep in mind could be Brandon forward Scott Glennie who, despite a lackluster combine interview, possesses a few things the Oilers traditionally hold dear; speed, size and hands. Some have suggested that he benefited greatly from playing with Brayden Schenn and Matt Calvert all year but while both were tied up with Hockey Canada, Glennie showed he was able to do it himself.
http://thepipelineshow.blogspot.com/...-thoughts.html

Old
06-20-2009, 01:32 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Old
06-20-2009, 01:53 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Mac Bennett

Old
06-20-2009, 02:10 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
If we trade up, Glennie is our guy.

Do it. It would be worth it.

#19, Rozsival

For

#9 (Ottawa) = Glennie

Or the same deal for #10 (Dallas)

Both teams may want a defenseman like Rozsival.

Then how about:

#47, #80, Korpikoski?

for something in the mid-late 20's (Islanders at #26?) and take one of Kreider, Palmieri, and Morin.
i think moving up to ottawa's spot is reasonable considering their GM is in a win now mode because he will likely get canned otherwise. i dont like the 2nd deal though. think its a huge over payment. korpedo is a former 19th overall or somewhere around there and has a good skill set and is young. he still has potential to be a solid 2nd line player. giving up the 47th and 80th also takes away the chance of picking another good player.

Old
06-20-2009, 02:23 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
Im PRAYING Kassian will still be around at 19, but if we were to move up and Schroeder is still available, I would take him in a heartbeat over Kassian. IMO Schroeder has a higher upside then Kassian even though Kassian brings much more of a physical presence (but don't get me wrong, of course i'd be THRILLED with either).
The only reason I had them flip-flopped is because I think Kassian will be around after Schroeder making it easier to move up to grab him. I think Schroeder wont make it out of the top 10 whereas I think Kssian may fall to around 14-15.

Old
06-20-2009, 02:49 PM
lundqvistfan33

I wouldn't mind seeing the Rangers trading away their 1st and something else to get Kovalchuck.

Old
06-20-2009, 03:07 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lundqvistfan33 View Post
I wouldn't mind seeing the Rangers trading away their 1st and something else to get Kovalchuck.
well...im fairly sure nobody here woudl mind that happening.

Old
06-20-2009, 03:17 PM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
well...im fairly sure nobody here woudl mind that happening.
haha yeah. No doubt.

To touch on the B.P.A style of drafting. I think it would be a huge mistake taking another defense men. We need a forward who in a 2years time be playing a 3rd line, Maybe 2nd line role making under 1.2M a year.

Our Salary problem forces us to have good drafts to stay competitive. I think grabbing another defense man would just give us a jam log at the defensive position and end up trading away one for a less talented forward.

Old
06-20-2009, 03:27 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Mac Bennett
Brian Dumoulin as well. Another New England Junior player. About 6'3" 200--very good skating and puck moving skills. A huge wingspan as well--when you skate well that is a huge plus. If either Bennett, Dumoulin or Orlov (the third guy he mentioned) are around at 47--I wouldn't mind seeing us take a d-man.

Old
06-20-2009, 03:38 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
haha yeah. No doubt.

To touch on the B.P.A style of drafting. I think it would be a huge mistake taking another defense men. We need a forward who in a 2years time be playing a 3rd line, Maybe 2nd line role making under 1.2M a year.
Stepan?

Old
06-20-2009, 03:42 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I think that Josefson has Backstrom-esque upside. Maybe to a slightly lesser extent, but he's a guaranteed 65 point player with upside to be in the 80s. Truly believe that.
I see that in him too. Maybe not as offensively dynamic, but he's definitely much better defensively and has that stocky build. He's hard to knock off the puck and can stickhandle in tight spots with his head up.

Unfortunately, I see Ottawa snagging him at 9. Kreider, Palmieri, Shore are boys compared to him. I really don't think there's any possibility he lasts to 19.

Old
06-20-2009, 04:14 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
I don't think Ottawa grabs him. Ottawa will be looking for scoring, IMO. And most see Josefson as too safe, which is just retarded.

It's a shame for him that his U20 was plagued by a nasty flu, but it's great for us because he fell a lot because of it.

Old
06-20-2009, 04:14 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by lundqvistfan33 View Post
Think that "something else" would be plural.

Old
06-20-2009, 04:18 PM
Shake and Bake

Quote:
wow that guy is boring...had to turn it off after a few minutes

Old
06-20-2009, 05:12 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The Rangers might take another defenseman at #19.
Eh, hope you are wrong there as we need forwards. Don't know guys but I think there is a solid chance Kassian is still there at 19. Would like to see us move up and snatch Glennie or Schroeder (preferably Schroeder).

Realistically though, I think we land Jacob Josefson. No complaints here.

Old
06-20-2009, 05:23 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

My first mock draft. Obviously, purely BPA judging by the NYR pick.

(1) NYI - Hedman
(2) TB - Tavares
(3) COL - Duchene
(4) ATL - Kane
(5) LA - Schenn
(6) PHO - MPS
(7) TOR - Schroeder
(8) DAL - Cowen
(9) OTT - Josefson
(10) EDM - Kulikov
(11) NAS - Kadri
(12) MIN - Kassian
(13) BUF - Glennie
(14) FLA - Despres
(15) ANA - Moore
(16) CLB - Ellis
(17) STL - Ekman-Larsson
(18) MON - Kreider
(19) NYR - Rundblad
(20) CAL - Holland
(21) PHI - Palmieri
(22) VAN - Leddy
(23) NJ - Leblanc
(24) WAS - Ashton
(25) BOS - De Haan
(26) NYI - Morin
(27) CAR - Ferraro
(28) CHI - Erixon
(29) DET - Klingberg
(30) PIT - Werek

Old
06-20-2009, 05:30 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

5th overall for Lauri Korpikoski, 19th overall, 47th overall? Too much, too little, not interested?

Old
06-20-2009, 05:42 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
5th overall for Lauri Korpikoski, 19th overall, 47th overall? Too much, too little, not interested?
if Magnus is on the board, id do it with no hesitation.

Old
06-20-2009, 05:51 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Jeff Costello

Quote:
Jeff Costello is one of the best prospects to come out of the Wisconsin high school ranks in a number of years. He showed tremendous talent and potential at Waukesha's Catholic Memorial High School, playing three years for their varsity program. As a junior, he also starred on Team Wisconsin's top line with Seth Soley and Colorado draft pick Nate Condon. He was one of the top goal scorers in Wisconsin and earned a scholarship offer to play for the University of Notre Dame.

But what really improved Costello's draft stock was his decision to play in the USHL as a senior. It's not unheard of for Wisconsin HS players to be drafted in the NHL draft, but it's usually fairly late in the draft due to the high risk of selecting a player that plays weaker competition(Nate Condon-7th round 2008, Brent Gwidt-6th round 2006). But Costello showed he can excel against even the best competition in the USHL with a very successful year. He finished the year tied for 17th in goal scoring in the league with 24 goals--that may not sound impressive, but the only players younger than Costello with more goals were potential first round pick Louis Leblanc, and Stanislav Galiev, who could be a first round pick next year. Costello also developed a reputation as a fan favorite with his very physical style of play.

Costello has Type 1 Diabetes, which forces him to keep constant watch over his health, but he does a great job at managing it, and it has never been an issue for his hockey career.

Strengths: Goal-scoring ability, physical play

Needs to Improve: Picking up assists, skating, defensive play
Quote:
Final Projection:

Costello is flying under the radar of a lot of people, but has all the makings of a fantastic pick. He's a bit of a tweener in that he likes to play a power forward style of game, but at his size, it may be tough to play that style at the NHL level. Then again, he's roughly the same size, and plays a somewhat similar style to the St. Louis Blues' T.J. Oshie, albeit a poor man's Oshie. He'll play another year in the USHL and then head to Notre Dame where head coach Jeff Jackson will help him develop that physical edge that he loves to play with. Costello told a local Iowa newspaper that he's head he'll be selected anywhere between the 3rd and 5th round, which sounds about accurate.
http://www.westerncollegehockeyblog....-jeff-costello

T.J. Oshie.

Old
06-20-2009, 05:55 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
Eh, hope you are wrong there as we need forwards. Don't know guys but I think there is a solid chance Kassian is still there at 19. Would like to see us move up and snatch Glennie or Schroeder (preferably Schroeder).

Realistically though, I think we land Jacob Josefson. No complaints here.
Clark said the Rangers are taking BPA.

Closed Thread