HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Contract Negotiations During the Regular Season.

View Poll Results: Should GM's Engage in contract negotiations with players during the reg season?
Yes - Sometimes mid-season talks will yield the best deals. 30 76.92%
No - It takes away from a players much needed focus on the game. 9 23.08%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-26-2009, 03:23 PM
HockeyF3ind

vCash: 500
Contract Negotiations During the Regular Season.

Should GM's in general and Bob Gainey in particular engage in contract negotiations with players during the regular season?

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 03:26 PM

I think it should remain as is, optional.

I for one am glad that he didn't sign any of his UFA's...

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 03:30 PM
HockeyF3ind

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
I think it should remain as is, optional.

I for one am glad that he didn't sign any of his UFA's...
Gainey has an overt policy of NOT negotiating with players/agents during the regular season, which disabled him from locking up Streit at 2-2.5 million per year (which he reportedly was asking for mid-season).

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 03:31 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Case-by-case basis, that's all you can really do. GMs should never limit their own options.

In the current Habs situation, there are handful of FAs I'd wish we had negotiated deals with during the season. And another handful who I'm thankful we didn't. But for us fans, we really have zero idea how much the players/their agents have an interest in listening to negotiations anyway.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyF3ind View Post
Gainey has an overt policy of NOT negotiating with players/agents during the regular season, which disabled him from locking up Streit at 2-2.5 million per year (which he reportedly was asking for mid-season).
I don't think it's a firm policy...I have been criticial of Gainey for not being more proactive in Streit's case, but I think several other contracts on the team handcuffed the team as well

Also, Markov re-signed with the Habs before he hit free agency...so every case is different

Old
06-26-2009, 03:33 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
I don't think it's a firm policy...I have been criticial of Gainey for not being more proactive in Streit's case, but I think several other contracts on the team handcuffed the team as well
And contracts which he only hoped the team would have. (e.g. Sundin and the annual dream of signing a big-name UFA on July 1st).
Quote:
Also, Markov re-signed with the Habs before he hit free agency...so every case is different
It's obviously not a firm policy, since he signed Koivu mid-season last time around.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 03:34 PM

Furthermore, I think its as much a 'policy' for players as it is GM's to not negotiate during the season

Old
06-26-2009, 03:37 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Nothing should be set in stone. I like Gainey's approach about it.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 03:42 PM

The same people knocking Gainey for not signing his UFA's are the same people who would knock him if those same UFA's were signed and didn't perform to their expectations...so in other words, Gainey can't win.

I'm an admitted Gainey fan, but like many, I do wish he was a little more proactive...but in this particular instance (11 UFA's to be) I tell myself that there's a reason he planned it this way, so until I see whether or not that plan pans out, I endorse it

Old
06-26-2009, 03:43 PM
Kikizaz

I sense a Bob BashfesT.

Much like any other situation, there are positives and negative aspects to each side.

Kikizaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 03:45 PM
Iwishihadacup

thread with agenda got agenda

Iwishihadacup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 03:49 PM
momotan

Duh. Of course you should leave yourself the option of offering, say, Mike Komisarek a contract for 5-6 years in October when the team is winning, he's not injured, etc....rather than waiting until 3 days before July 1st. At least if the guy wants out (like Heatley in Ottawa) you can get something. But nooooo, Bob needs to have his winter hibernation. Then he scrambles at the last second and everyone has him by the testicles. It's even worse this year. His new policy is no discussion until after the draft. Leaves him 4 measly days to get it done. A good GM leaves his options open all year round.

momotan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momotan View Post
Duh. Of course you should leave yourself the option of offering, say, Mike Komisarek a contract for 5-6 years in October when the team is winning, he's not injured, etc....rather than waiting until 3 days before July 1st. At least if the guy wants out (like Heatley in Ottawa) you can get something. But nooooo, Bob needs to have his winter hibernation. Then he scrambles at the last second and everyone has him by the testicles. It's even worse this year. His new policy is no discussion until after the draft. Leaves him 4 measly days to get it done. A good GM leaves his options open all year round.
Maybe he wanted to get a better idea of Komisarek's worth??

Money will not be the problem with the Habs, they've got tons of available cap space, but after the year he just had, Gainey's got a better idea of Komi's worth...

But I do agree, Komi's a situation I would of rather the Habs wrap up even last year

Old
06-26-2009, 04:05 PM
FinnHab

Anti-Bob thread..see them coming tonight

FinnHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 04:24 PM
MrNasty

The reason players contracts are not negotiated during the season has very little to do with distraction from playing. Options become limited...players that have terrible second half's or get injured work against the team. It is better to evaluate a player after an entire season. It is also known that players play better when they are working for a contract. This question is pretty bias.

MrNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 04:32 PM
momotan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNasty View Post
The reason players contracts are not negotiated during the season has very little to do with distraction from playing. Options become limited...players that have terrible second half's or get injured work against the team. It is better to evaluate a player after an entire season. It is also known that players play better when they are working for a contract. This question is pretty bias.
Who played better this year in there contract year?

Komi - No
Kovi - No
Koivu - No
Tangauy - No
Bouillon - No
Brisebois - No
Dandenault - No
Kostopolous - Yes
Lang - Yes
Shneider - Yes

So there's your result.

Old
06-26-2009, 04:34 PM
habfan1968

vCash: 50
Quote:
I am pretty sure no one has Bob Gainey by the testicles. Bob does not do scramble and as a GM iwould be the one holding the cards with this specific team. There are no superstars ont his team as of yet, there are a few guys that have the potential to get there but none yet. Show the team you are a superstar and you'll be paid like one, simple. It is actually in the best interest of the player(who gives 100%) to do it after the season anyway so all his stats are counted and comparable contracts can be used as leverage. Of the UFA and RFA players on this team, who could we not get by without? Exactly, if any of them leave we can still be a good team and add someone from the free agent pool.

habfan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 04:39 PM
habfan1968

vCash: 50
Quote:
Who played better this year in there contract year?

Komi - No
Kovi - No
Koivu - No
Tangauy - No
Bouillon - No
Brisebois - No
Dandenault - No
Kostopolous - Yes
Lang - Yes
Shneider - Yes

So there's your result.
So really you just proved to everyone that it makes no sense to do contracts during the season, the guys who could have made the most money from it actually played poorly for the most part and saved the team some cash. How bad would it have looked if they gave Komisarek a five year deal at say 5-6 million and then he comes up with that effort?

habfan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 04:49 PM
momotan

I guess Pierre McGuire also doesn't know what he's talking about. He was screaming all year that these guys should have been signed and sealed prior to the trade deadline, because it showed no faith in the player from the organisation and he was right. Look at the pathetic performance.