HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

With the 9th overall pick, Ottawa picks Jared Cowen - ALL DISCUSSION HERE

Old
06-26-2009, 08:07 PM
OgieO

vCash: 500
If Cowan can help us get the puck from the other team in our own zone, and then out of our own zone efficiently he will be a very welcome addition to the Sens.

Karlsson - Cowan
Lee - Phillips
Weircoch - Volchenkov

That's a great group (although I doubt we keep them all long term).

OgieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 08:07 PM
MatthewT

pretty good pick by Murray. Our Goaltending situation should be set with Leclaire and Elliott. Our future D looks awesome, anytime you can get a 6'5 shutdown dman you have to take him.

MatthewT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 08:08 PM
Ron Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobofish View Post
MPS a power-forward. You surely are kidding.
MPS or MSP or whatever is Vermette 2.0 Tons of speed, potential that lacks finish.

Ron Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 08:12 PM
L'Aveuglette
Restin' my groin.

IMO we couldn't go wrong with either Cowen or MPS. Stop complaining people.

L'Aveuglette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 08:13 PM
bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSeven View Post
Thats what you are upset about missing out on?
Your right a Jason Smith without the mean streak type is a much better pick then Cole in his prime style player. Hilarious.

bert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 08:15 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

We just got a lot bigger & tougher with Cowan so I'm happy with the pick. However, he is likely going to be a shut down defencemen who quite possibly could be the replacement for A-Train or Phillips. With A-Train's contract up next season it's within reason to think Volchenkov could be dealt at the trade deadline to accomodate Cowan the following year. Although I would prefer dealing Phillips, it just seems like this organization wants Phillips to be a career Senator. That is of course, if the Sens think Cowan is NHL ready, he is size wise & physically. They may even send him to Bingo next season to see if he is ready for the NHL, unless that would interfere with him playing for Team Canada, would it?

There is still an opportunity to trade Heatley, there are still a few teams yet to draft who have been rumoured to want Heatley (Rangers, Minny, St Louis).

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 08:16 PM
ben3001

Early predictions can be made that this will be a steal for Ottawa. I am tremendously pleased with Cowen and really think he will be the #1 D-man we are deeply lacking since Chara.

Cowen at the moment is that he not only showed that he is a tremendously smart player who sees the ice well, but that he is an absolute character player. He was a cornerstone of Spokanes Memorial Cup run and shows great signs of being a true leader.

However, the best thing for me about Cowen at the moment is that he is far from having shown exactly all that he is capable of. Right when he got injured he was starting to show very good offensive awareness and skills that were a new part to his game. At this moment, with what was quickly seen, he will not just be an exemplary shut-down defenseman, but also someone who can contribute on the offense with maybe 15g. This will ultimately be what will show if he was a steal or not. If he continues to develop these skills that he flashed before being injured he will be a tremendous player.

I will be a player that teams will regret having passed on I think.

p.s. how sexy is our future d-corps if they all pan out now

Cowen
Karlsson
Wierchioch
Lee

ben3001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 08:19 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert View Post
Your right a Jason Smith without the mean streak type is a much better pick then Cole in his prime style player. Hilarious.
Well that is just a silly comparison. Lets compare the worst possible outcome with the best possible outcome, that is really fair.

Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 08:20 PM
heatley_fan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobofish View Post
Well that is just a silly comparison. Lets compare the worst possible outcome with the best possible outcome, that is really fair.
MPS best possible outcome is Forsberg lite not Cole

heatley_fan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 08:23 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spanky View Post
...and Cowen`s is Pronger. Not that bad either.

Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 08:23 PM
nanuuq
HFBoards Sponsor

I am very happy with this draft.
Now to replace heatley.
Murray is waiting his time, making Heatly and other teams sweat.
I LOV IT

06-26-2009, 08:24 PM
L'Aveuglette
Restin' my groin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spanky View Post
Has that ever been mentioned as a possible outcome? I highly doubt MPS develops into a premiere top-5 player in the NHL.

L'Aveuglette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 08:26 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

vCash: 256
Sort of disappointed that Murray went with Cowen.
From my understanding Cowen is indeed awesome and he has been working like a madman through rehab, but this team really, really needs some forwards inject in the prospect pool.
MSP really fit the bill for what the team needs ATM.

Still, can't say I'm mad about it. If the recovery goes well he'll most likely become a dominant blue liner, and that's never a bad thing to have!

Do Make Say Think is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 08:26 PM
Buckleys

I'm very upset with this pick. Like unbelieveably. He, Kadri and Glennie are all people I didn't want.

I REALLY wanted MPS

Buckleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 08:29 PM
Nestea

Very happy with this pick. BPA.

You build from the blueline out:

Cowen
Karlsson
Lee
Wiercioch
Campoli
Picard

All young, good potential in there. As long as we get some good forwards for Heatley, we're set.

Nestea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 08:30 PM
4thliner*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay54 View Post
Cowen the last time we got a guy that fell cause of an ACL was Hossa, good omen i think.
Hossa blew out his knee AFTER getting drafted 12th overall by the Sens in the memorial cup final with the Portland Winterhawks against the Storm.

Cowan's situation is totaly different. It says something about this guys huge potential that he blew out both his ACL and MCL missed half the year and STILL a lot of pple though he fell in the draft at #9.

Cowan will be a freaking stud as I was saying few months ago here. I though for sure if the Cayotes didnt take him, then Dallas would have for sure. Sens got lucky.

In this draft he would have been on par with Hedman/Tavares if he was playing this year and dominating in the mem cup like he was at 16. Never though Ottawa has a chance.

4thliner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 08:36 PM
4thliner*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckleys View Post
I REALLY wanted MPS
First i would rather have Cowan that MPS.

Two, if the Sens want MPS I am sure they can get him in the next minute as part of the Heatley trade.

4thliner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 08:36 PM
ARS

Some of you guys really need to get over MPS. There's a reason why the guy fell to 10th without an injury to blame like Cowen did. He has incredible speed, but he has stone hands to go with his speed. He reminds me of Afinogenov with even less offensive abilities and last I checked, we don't really have a need for players like that. Evander Kane and Brayden Schenn he is not.

ARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 08:47 PM
Manny*

Enough talking about "what could've been" or "who I wanted". The fact of the matter is, we were just lucky enough to select a player projected to go anywhere from fourth to eighth, not to mention pre-injury where he was considered a top two pick. He was, without a doubt, the best player available. In terms of offense, let's consider our two second round picks, as well as the free agents that could be available. Players like O'Reilly, Panik, Werek, Tatar and Rajala all have huge potential, as well as free agents such as Kotalik, Antropov, Hossa and Cammalleri. We're building from the net out, as it has been mentioned before, and I think Murray deserves a lot more credit for acquiring Cowan with the ninth pick.

Manny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 08:50 PM
TheHMan

I would have preferred MPS, but I don't mind Cowen either... both are very good players. The big thing for Cowen was his knee, and at the same time I really wasn't too hot on MPS's finishing concerns.

Cowen's knee is supposedly coming along just fine and it basically puts to rest any concerns about our Defense in the future. Now the focus is put on improving the forward prospect pool and I still think that something could be worked out with LA with Heatley.

TheHMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 08:52 PM
Jackie Treehorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thliner View Post
Hossa blew out his knee AFTER getting drafted 12th overall by the Sens in the memorial cup final with the Portland Winterhawks against the Storm.

Cowan's situation is totaly different. It says something about this guys huge potential that he blew out both his ACL and MCL missed half the year and STILL a lot of pple though he fell in the draft at #9.

Cowan will be a freaking stud as I was saying few months ago here. I though for sure if the Cayotes didnt take him, then Dallas would have for sure. Sens got lucky.

In this draft he would have been on par with Hedman/Tavares if he was playing this year and dominating in the mem cup like he was at 16. Never though Ottawa has a chance.
yeah someone already pointed this out, but it sounded like a good argument at the time.

Jackie Treehorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 09:02 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

I honestly dont get some of you people. Youre actually *pissed* we got Cowen. I wanted Cowen, and if we didn't pick him, and picked MPS, I wouldn't be pissed, Id just be disappointed we didn't get the guy we wanted, and I would trust the Sens scouting staff in their pick. Seems like you guys can't trust the Sens scouting staff took what they thought was the best player.

PeterSidorkiewicz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 09:06 PM
Juice*

i think the sens were shocked he was available

Juice* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 09:20 PM
pt_mck

Cowen is a great draft pick at #9.

pt_mck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 09:25 PM
Anasazi

I was kind of steamed that Murray passed up on MPS at first, but now in retrospect after i've considered it a bit, this is a great pick, our future D corps is going to be one of it not THE best in the league assuming everything pans out o.k. MPS would've been nice, but he is a gamble, I just hope we're not looking back on this like the Lee thing (taking him over Kopitar), but this just looks so much better.

BTW, that thing between Murray and Burke just further backs up my hate for Burke.

Anasazi is offline   Reply With Quote