HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

First Round Pick Zack Kassian RW

Old
06-26-2009, 08:12 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
First Round Pick Zack Kassian RW

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/zack_kassian
Quote:
Talent Analysis

The 6'3, 205-pound right winger is a power forward prospect. He has imposing size and has shown a willingness to use it. While he may not have as much offensive upside as other forwards at the top of the draft order, Kassian's total package of size, checking, and energetic play make him an appealing addition to a club looking for a top-six forward who can open up the ice for other teammates. An ability to put the puck in the net adds to his value as he has proven he won't be an offensive liability with more skilled teammates.
I can't remember the last time the Sabres took the player I wanted in the 1st round. They finally did it.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 08:13 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

vCash: 500

I wanna see him lining up opposite Vanek in a few years.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 08:17 PM
Stone87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed View Post
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/zack_kassian

I can't remember the last time the Sabres took the player I wanted in the 1st round. They finally did it.
I was fine with the Vanek and Myers picks.

Stone87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 08:18 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

When will he be AHL ready?

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 08:27 PM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Yes!!!!

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 08:30 PM
yohan1212

"You want to talk nasty? You want to talk Milan Lucic? That's Zach Kassian. He's been drafted by a team with lots of undersized players. He was an organizational need for the Sabres." - Pierre McGuire

It will be interesting if he pans out how many times the 2 will fight over the years being in the same division and all.

yohan1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 08:30 PM
Better Call Saul

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
When will he be AHL ready?
Kassian doesn't turn 20 until January 2011, so he won't be AHL-eligible for a while. Hopefully, he can make the Sabres before then.

Better Call Saul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 08:32 PM
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!

Send a message via Yahoo to BUCKSHOT
http://insidehockey.com/blog/ottawa_..._draft_preview

Quote:
Zach Kassian: Another right winger, Kassian does not have the wheels that Glennie has. He will though, go through you and loves to play physically. Having talked to a few people who watched him in Peterborough, Kassian might be ready for the NHL this season and could be the power forward the Sens have long coveted
DOB - January 24, 1991

BUCKSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 08:33 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStone87 View Post
I was fine with the Vanek and Myers picks.
Myers especially looks like an extremely good pick with how well he's developed.

jflory81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 08:36 PM
Kruschiki

Epic battle here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjvdwXBle1Q

Kruschiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 08:37 PM
Moskau

vCash: 100
I'll try and keep it as constructive as possible but... I'm not even sure Kassian is guaranteed to have better offensive potential at the next level than another Peterborough Pete we have on our team. Patrick Kaleta.

A little extreme but I do not agree with drafting a player like this for an organizational need. You get players like this via free agency (Overpay Chris Neil at $2Million if you have to and dump Hecht somehow.) I find it hard to believe that Buffalo viewed Kassian as BPA at #13 and his style of play didn't influence the decision at all. Even if you have a really great player that could fill an organizational need you don't draft that player if there's a better player on the board.

It's just my opinion on Kassian and I expected us to draft him but it's really a shame this organization will never have the balls to draft a player like Kulikov when he's gift wrapped for us.

Moskau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 08:40 PM
Kruschiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCKSHOT View Post
DOB - January 24, 1991
No surprise there. Like 60% of Canadian players are born in January, February and March.

Kruschiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 08:40 PM
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!

Send a message via Yahoo to BUCKSHOT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
I'll try and keep it as constructive as possible but... I'm not even sure Kassian is guaranteed to have better offensive potential at the next level than another Peterborough Pete we have on our team. Patrick Kaleta.

A little extreme but I do not agree with drafting a player like this for an organizational need. You get players like this via free agency (Overpay Chris Neil at $2Million if you have to and dump Hecht somehow.) I find it hard to believe that Buffalo viewed Kassian as BPA at #13 and his style of play didn't influence the decision at all. Even if you have a really great player that could fill an organizational need you don't draft that player if there's a better player on the board.

It's just my opinion on Kassian and I expected us to draft him but it's really a shame this organization will never have the balls to draft a player like Kulikov when he's gift wrapped for us.
and who is to say that Kulikov isn't the next Marek Zagrapan ....

BUCKSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 08:42 PM
wyldthing89

Wow, is it an error ??? Finally a big forward who can score !!!

Very happy with this selection, there is something we had to improve and i hope to see him very soon.

wyldthing89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 08:43 PM
yohan1212

Quote:

could it be the lucic effect?? buffalo trying to grab one?? sure there was more talent available but the kid might have the intangibles that are necessary in todays nhl.. i actually hoped boston would trade up to get him.. u just cant overlook guys who have so many tools. The same was said about lucic when he was drafted.. Slow feet, tough as nails, needs to work on his skating significantly to get a shot... then he made the team at his 2nd camp.. now wouldnt trade him for the world.. sometimes intangibles are much more reliable than potential talent..

yohan1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 08:46 PM
Better Call Saul

Quote:

The Sabres have had great luck with Russian-born players over the years.

Old
06-26-2009, 08:50 PM
aceface33

How good a fighter is this kid? With Peters not likely returning I think there's an outside chance he's on the team this year.

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 08:50 PM
lecherous

Send a message via AIM to lecherous
I really wanted them to grab Schroeder, but I guess Kassian seems like a safe pick. I can't see him with much upside, and he strikes me as a guy who probably won't score more than 20 goals in a season. I'm not upset, but I really do think that Schroeder is going to be a much better NHL player.

lecherous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 08:53 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Quote:

Comparing Kaleta to Kassian is absolutely nuts.

jflory81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 08:55 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
How good a fighter is this kid? With Peters not likely returning I think there's an outside chance he's on the team this year.
He's not an enforcer, but if he can play 2nd line and throw down like Milan Lucic...that's pretty damn nice to have in the top 6.

Rhett4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 08:56 PM
Moskau

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
Comparing Kaleta to Kassian is absolutely nuts.
Offensively? Not so much.

Kassian is much much slower.

Moskau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Better Call Saul

Quote:
Originally Posted by lecherous View Post
I really wanted them to grab Schroeder, but I guess Kassian seems like a safe pick. I can't see him with much upside, and he strikes me as a guy who probably won't score more than 20 goals in a season. I'm not upset, but I really do think that Schroeder is going to be a much better NHL player.
I like Schroeder and I'm usually proponent of the BPA approach in the NHL draft, but how many tiny wingers does one pipeline need? Kassian is unlike anyone in the Sabres' system, so I'm pretty happy with the selection. It was either Kassian, Palmieri or Josefsen for me.

Old
Clock

Kassian... nice. Totally on board with the sentiment that I'll give up some points for a guy who's big, plays big, and can throw down, all while putting up some nice offensive skills.

Well done, Darcy. The trend away from pure talent midgets is welcome.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 09:00 PM
Selanne00008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooey View Post
No surprise there. Like 60% of Canadian players are born in January, February and March.
random stat. Why is this? Or why do you think this?

So that mean teh secks in April/May/June?

Selanne00008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 09:01 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Quote:
Offensively? Not so much.

Kassian is much much slower.
and his offensive ability (well, potential) is much, much better