HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

First Round Pick: The Canucks Draft Jordan Schroeder

Closed Thread

Old
06-29-2009, 12:12 AM
ahmon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Physically he's ready to play this coming season, and as pitseleh posted earlier someone's prediction of 10 goals and 35 points this coming season would be something I could see very realistic for him in this role.

That being said, I think it would be more beneficial for him to go back to the U of M for one more season. With Stoa gone from the team, Schroeder becomes THE guy to lead that team. I would like to see how he responds in this role and hope the results are good. If he proves he can handle being the main guy to lead/carry the team, then he'll be ready to jump into a 3rd line or 2nd line role come 2010-11 when his ELC would be very valuable to us.

Yes, a JVR-Hodgson-Schroeder line would be dynamite.
I'm even more confident in his ability. I think he can play in the ahl.
I read somewhere that college players can play in the ahl under 20?

I've seen very little of JVR, a few times in the wjhc and some college highlites. But I don't get a very good vibe from watching him play. He gives me that dark aura like patrick marleau in sj.

Old
06-29-2009, 12:21 AM
AgentNaslund*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Does anyone know how tall Jordan Schroeder's parents are? If Schroeder grows a couple inches we'll have a star on our hands.

When you're extremely smart, skilled, an excellent skater, not afraid of playing in traffic and a very competetive guy, you're not going to fail very often.
---------------------

If Schroeder and Hodgson reach their full potential couldn't we compete with the top teams with a top 6 consisting of-

D. Sedin-H. Sedin-Burrows
Schroeder-Hodgson-Kesler

In a couple years that could be a pretty strong group of two-way, top 6 forwards. There's also still Raymond, Bernier, Wellwood, Hansen, Grabner, Shirokov and possibly Rodin that will be fighting for minutes in the top 9.

It's now the defense that will have to be Gillis' main focus. Our depth up front is as good as it's been in recent memory.
When he was drafted, he was "Hugging" his family, he hugged one older guy, out of that group who is most likely his father because no one else was that old, (probably his brothers the other guys), that guy, was exactly his height. If thats the case, his father is Schroeders height.

That being said, last year when Hodgson was hugging his family after draft, he hugged a guy, again most likely his father due to the resemblance, that guy was at least 6'1. Hodgsons papa is alot taller then him.

Old
06-29-2009, 12:22 AM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Does anyone know how tall Jordan Schroeder's parents are? If Schroeder grows a couple inches we'll have a star on our hands.

When you're extremely smart, skilled, an excellent skater, not afraid of playing in traffic and a very competetive guy, you're not going to fail very often.
---------------------

If Schroeder and Hodgson reach their full potential couldn't we compete with the top teams with a top 6 consisting of-

D. Sedin-H. Sedin-Burrows
Schroeder-Hodgson-Kesler

In a couple years that could be a pretty strong group of two-way, top 6 forwards. There's also still Raymond, Bernier, Wellwood, Hansen, Grabner, Shirokov and possibly Rodin that will be fighting for minutes in the top 9.

It's now the defense that will have to be Gillis' main focus. Our depth up front is as good as it's been in recent memory.
At this point it probably wont matter too much, once people tend to physically mature they stop growing in height. Schroeder is very physically mature already.

Old
06-29-2009, 12:31 AM
The Pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentNaslund View Post
When he was drafted, he was "Hugging" his family, he hugged one older guy, out of that group who is most likely his father because no one else was that old, (probably his brothers the other guys), that guy, was exactly his height. If thats the case, his father is Schroeders height.

That being said, last year when Hodgson was hugging his family after draft, he hugged a guy, again most likely his father due to the resemblance, that guy was at least 6'1. Hodgsons papa is alot taller then him.
Based on Schroeders build, I doubt you will see much more growth out of him, he has already started filling out his frame quite well.

Old
06-29-2009, 12:59 AM
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
Yeah, I agree, Grabner is far from a bad pick given how things have unfolded since. Here are Bob McKenzie's rankings from that year:

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=3784

Only Claude Giroux and Simeon Varlamov (did we really need another goalie?) are clear cut higher quality prospects than Grabner.
Still rather meh from my perspective.

He's probably got another year in the AHL. Then I'd expect about another couple of years of adjustment in the NHL. So what do the Canucks end up with? A couple of productive years out of him before he hits free agency?

I recognize that it was a weak draft that year, but Grabner's value has never been a 14th overall pick since the day he was drafted.

You have to wonder whether Gradin was pushing for Berglund... if they were willing to go so far down the chart for Grabner, the least they could have done is looked at a couple of names on the way down. Or at least traded down in the draft and picked him around 30th overall, and probably picked up a high 2nd round pick to go with him. The bottom line is that drafting him 14th wasn't necessary and was poor draft management, even if the next handful of picks didn't amount to much either.

Old
06-29-2009, 01:00 AM
Bean in Charge

it's now a few days after the first round of the draft and i'm still absolutely ecstatic that we drafted schroeder.

i remember watching him light it up against in the WJs (despite what reports will say, I thought he was fantastic except for their last game) and thinking how the canucks won't get a chance at him (i thought he'd go top 10 at that point).

ahhh... i can't wait to see him in action.

Old
06-29-2009, 01:06 AM
AgentNaslund*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean in Charge View Post
it's now a few days after the first round of the draft and i'm still absolutely ecstatic that we drafted schroeder.

i remember watching him light it up against in the WJs (despite what reports will say, I thought he was fantastic except for their last game) and thinking how the canucks won't get a chance at him (i thought he'd go top 10 at that point).

ahhh... i can't wait to see him in action.
Yea, its kinda unbelievable, shouldnt compare this, but its kinda one of those unbelieavable feelings. A few days after we drafted Luongo, it was still kinda unbelieavble. Honestly, I was thinking offensive DMAN, but when John Moore and Schroeder was still available, my heart wanted Schroeder.

Old
06-29-2009, 02:13 AM
sk8er

I have to say that I don't know much about the guy, but he sounds like somebody, that despite his size, can be a star for us in a couple years....sure hope so

Old
06-29-2009, 02:28 AM
FruityPants3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolChamp View Post
zach parise seems to be the popular comparison, well atleast in the link that Pitseleh posted.
I wonder if Zach Parise is only the popular comparison because his stock is so high right now. Perhaps Gionta is more accurate, but not as sexy.

Old
06-29-2009, 02:32 AM
Bean in Charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by FruityPants3 View Post
I wonder if Zach Parise is only the popular comparison because his stock is so high right now. Perhaps Gionta is more accurate, but not as sexy.
I'd say he has better vision and passing skills than Gionta.

To me, he's a smaller, faster version of Marc Savard. I'm not saying he'll hit the same point totals, but he has the same soft hands and quick wrist shot... and that ability to wait that extra second before making the play

Old
06-29-2009, 02:40 AM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pucks View Post
Based on Schroeders build, I doubt you will see much more growth out of him, he has already started filling out his frame quite well.
He can bulk up another 10 pounds or so and still keep his quickness.

Old
06-29-2009, 10:00 AM
The Pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by FruityPants3 View Post

In terms of skill set and size Parise is a much better comparison. Gionta is a couple of inches shorter and is a gunner. Schroeder is a pass 1st kinda guy with a great wrist shot.

I must be older than allot of guys here, I see Yvan Cournoyer in him, although he was more of a gunner, but a shifty small guy with alot of speed.

I guess Parise is a better comparions, especially with both being know for solid defensive play as well.

Old
06-29-2009, 10:01 AM
The Pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
He can bulk up another 10 pounds or so and still keep his quickness.

I have heard talk that he is already playing at around 5'9, 190 lbs.

With todays advanced training methods and nutrition I think he can bulk up a bit more yet.

Old
06-29-2009, 10:50 AM
eklunds source
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
Still rather meh from my perspective.

He's probably got another year in the AHL. Then I'd expect about another couple of years of adjustment in the NHL. So what do the Canucks end up with? A couple of productive years out of him before he hits free agency?

I recognize that it was a weak draft that year, but Grabner's value has never been a 14th overall pick since the day he was drafted.

You have to wonder whether Gradin was pushing for Berglund... if they were willing to go so far down the chart for Grabner, the least they could have done is looked at a couple of names on the way down. Or at least traded down in the draft and picked him around 30th overall, and probably picked up a high 2nd round pick to go with him. The bottom line is that drafting him 14th wasn't necessary and was poor draft management, even if the next handful of picks didn't amount to much either.
1) So he hits free agency and we're not allowed to resign him? A ****ton of players don't make a real impact on the team until they're 24/25/26. How's Kesler working out for us now?

2) Grabner is a goal scorer. How do you know he would have been available at 30th? What if he isn't? We traded down and got two middling prospects instead of the guy we wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentNaslund View Post
Yea, its kinda unbelievable, shouldnt compare this, but its kinda one of those unbelieavable feelings. A few days after we drafted Luongo, it was still kinda unbelieavble. Honestly, I was thinking offensive DMAN, but when John Moore and Schroeder was still available, my heart wanted Schroeder.
wut?

Old
06-29-2009, 11:01 AM
crazycanuck

Quote:
I have heard talk that he is already playing at around 5'9, 190 lbs.

With todays advanced training methods and nutrition I think he can bulk up a bit more yet.
If thats where he's at, thats great, and probably right where we want him, maybe 5 lbs lighter, any more than 190 lbs I would expect to see a loss in agility and speed.

Old
06-29-2009, 11:14 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmon View Post
I'm even more confident in his ability. I think he can play in the ahl.
I read somewhere that college players can play in the ahl under 20?

I've seen very little of JVR, a few times in the wjhc and some college highlites. But I don't get a very good vibe from watching him play. He gives me that dark aura like patrick marleau in sj.
That would be correct. NCAA players can play in the AHL anytime after being drafted. This is why Ryan Kesler was eligible to play in the AHL after we drafted him.

Quote:
In terms of skill set and size Parise is a much better comparison. Gionta is a couple of inches shorter and is a gunner. Schroeder is a pass 1st kinda guy with a great wrist shot.

I must be older than allot of guys here, I see Yvan Cournoyer in him, although he was more of a gunner, but a shifty small guy with alot of speed.

I guess Parise is a better comparions, especially with both being know for solid defensive play as well.
I could see the comparison, although I think people would generally shy away from comparing Jordan Schroeder to a Montreal hockey legend and NHL hall of famer But if he turns out anything like the roadrunner we've just hit the mega $50M 649 jackpot!

Old
06-29-2009, 11:51 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Good article on Schroeder:

http://www.uscho.com/news/college-ho...Schroeder.html

Quote:
I still have to get a lot better and there’s much more to come to get to the next level so I definitely have a lot of work to do.”

Old
06-29-2009, 12:01 PM
Placebo Effect

Big 10 network is showing a replay (I'm assuming) of Wisconsin vs Minnesota. I'm guessing it's a replay of this game http://www.gophersports.com/ViewArti...ATCLID=3664464

Old
06-29-2009, 12:06 PM
digger18

I noticed that big 10 channel the other day....Wondering why we dont get the pac 10 channel instead, considering we are out west? I am beginning to get kinda frustrated, with the lineup of HD that Shaw is offering right now. For the amount I pay for cable, there should be at least 50 HD channels to watch.

Old
06-29-2009, 12:15 PM
evgeni71

So where do you think he's gonna play next year? I don't think he'll make the team come training camp, so his options are another year at Minnesota or with the Moose.

Old
06-29-2009, 12:16 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
So where do you think he's gonna play next year? I don't think he'll make the team come training camp, so his options are another year at Minnesota or with the Moose.
He won't even be at camp unless he signs a contract, and if he signs a contract his NCAA eligibility is gone.

He'll be back at the University of Minnisota.

Old
06-29-2009, 12:18 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
That would be correct. NCAA players can play in the AHL anytime after being drafted. This is why Ryan Kesler was eligible to play in the AHL after we drafted him.
There are AHL age limits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratsgirl View Post
Since this question seems to come up over and over again:

There is a private agreement in place between the NHL and the CHL that governs when a player coming from the CHL can play in the AHL. A player from the CHL has to either turn 20 by December 31st of the season (ie a player born in 1987 can start playing in the 2007-08 season, a player born in 1988 can start playing in the 2008-09 season etc.) OR have completed 4 seasons of junior eligibility. This agreement also covers European players if they are drafted out of the CHL (Examples would be players like Petr Vrana and Ivan Vishnevskiy). Also - CHL players are eligible to play in the AHL once their junior season is over (either by virtue of their junior team not making the playoffs or being eliminated from the playoffs) even if they don't yet meet the age or eligibility criteria listed above.

College players and European players (provided they are drafted out of Europe--even if they later play in the CHL) are not covered by this agreement. They only have to abide by the AHL's age requirement, which is that a player has to turn 18 by September 15 of any given season to be eligible to play. While you won't see many 18-year olds in the AHL, some European players have played at that age (e.g. Niklas Bergfors)

Old
06-29-2009, 12:19 PM
crazycanuck

Quote:
He won't even be at camp unless he signs a contract, and if he signs a contract his NCAA eligibility is gone.

He'll be back at the University of Minnisota.
He'll play on more year in the NCAA and then join the Moose in the spring.

Old
06-29-2009, 12:21 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
There are AHL age limits.
True, although you have to be 18 by September 15 of the year you are drafted in order to be eligible for the NHL draft. Ergo, if you're not eligible to be in the AHL after playing in the NCAA then you wouldn't have been eligible to be drafted.

Old
06-29-2009, 12:24 PM
digger18

This Connolly Wisconsin goalie looks very sharp.

Closed Thread