HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

First Round Pick: The Canucks Draft Jordan Schroeder

Closed Thread

Old
06-29-2009, 01:23 PM
LostMyGlasses*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmon View Post
toughness wise that is quite true, but a big part of spezza's game is puck control/passing and his reach really helps him out.
Spezza is also very effective at using his big body to shield the puck.

Old
06-29-2009, 02:05 PM
Jokes

Someone earlier had asked if anyone had a video of his college highlights. I could only find 2008-2009 team highlights from Fox Sports North on youtube. Jordan has several highlights in the video (#19) and if you look closely you may spot your old friend patty white (#7).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufTH3Qj6upM

Old
06-29-2009, 02:19 PM
MN_Gopher

Put this on the main board but thought you guys might like to see what company Schroeder is in.

Here is a stat about Schroeder that should at least speak for his NCAA abilities.

Points per game in conference only. I use conference as all teams play simular schedules. Across the board. Some years WCHA teams will schedule little sisters of the blind faith and run the score up and pad stats. Overall stats are never good in comparing college players.

All as freshmen

Heatley 1.33 ppg
Schroeder 1.25
Parise 1.23
Vanek 1.18
Kessel 1.18

Old
06-29-2009, 02:27 PM
KDizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokes View Post
Someone earlier had asked if anyone had a video of his college highlights. I could only find 2008-2009 team highlights from Fox Sports North on youtube. Jordan has several highlights in the video (#19) and if you look closely you may spot your old friend patty white (#7).

Thanks for that.

Old
06-29-2009, 03:10 PM
Danrik
It is what it is.

vCash: 508
Lots of sick passes by Schroeder in there.

Old
06-29-2009, 03:14 PM
evgeni71

Nice, a couple Patty White goals...maybe a Gopher tandem in the future if White picks up his game?

Old
06-29-2009, 03:23 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
Nice, a couple Patty White goals...maybe a Gopher tandem in the future if White picks up his game?
That's sort of what I've been secretly hoping what will happen - that Schroeder is able to kick-start White's development by having them play on the same line - at least for a short period of time. Unfortunately the Gophers coach has different priorities.

Old
06-29-2009, 03:27 PM
MN_Gopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
That's sort of what I've been secretly hoping what will happen - that Schroeder is able to kick-start White's development by having them play on the same line - at least for a short period of time. Unfortunately the Gophers coach has different priorities.
Big problem with that is that both are centers. They did play on the PP together last year. And i see no reason why both will not be on the #1 PP this year. We have a few other centers, but White has been at or over 50% on face offs. So i doubt either White or Schroeder get moved to wing.

Old
06-29-2009, 04:56 PM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

I heard he is friends with Ryan Stoa. Perhaps he will sign with the Avs at a discount once he's a UFA.

Old
06-29-2009, 05:01 PM
PuckMunchkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post
Spezza is also very effective at using his big body to shield the puck.
He seems to get ran over big time every game or two tho..

Last edited by PuckMunchkin: 06-29-2009 at 05:08 PM.
Old
06-29-2009, 05:24 PM
timw33

Quote:

Thanks!

White scores at around 1:30 and 3:15

Schroeder has a ton of really nice plays in that package too.

Old
06-29-2009, 06:47 PM
Tripwyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
From my understanding (and obviously someone like MN_Gopher knows better, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong), but White struggled when paired with more...offensively gifted players. This is not to say he's not offensively skilled, but that he's not exactly fleet of foot, and plays a Sedin-style down-low cycle game in the offensive zone. This isn't really compatible with the north-south speed game of players like Schroeder, who look to create off the rush. I believe White's season improved when he was paired with players more in tune with his style.

e: I think just the fact that they've both been drafted by Vancouver could motivate White to elevate his game to try and go pro together -- they don't necessarily need to play on the same line for it to give him a kick in the pants.

Old
06-29-2009, 07:23 PM
edler von real gud

vCash: 380
Send a message via MSN to edler von real gud
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTENOUGHBREWER View Post
I heard he is friends with Ryan Stoa. Perhaps he will sign with the Avs at a discount once he's a UFA.
Sounds good, perhaps the canucks will just sign that guy who happens to be friends with Hodgson

Old
06-29-2009, 09:11 PM
MN_Gopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripwyre View Post
From my understanding (and obviously someone like MN_Gopher knows better, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong), but White struggled when paired with more...offensively gifted players. This is not to say he's not offensively skilled, but that he's not exactly fleet of foot, and plays a Sedin-style down-low cycle game in the offensive zone. This isn't really compatible with the north-south speed game of players like Schroeder, who look to create off the rush. I believe White's season improved when he was paired with players more in tune with his style.

e: I think just the fact that they've both been drafted by Vancouver could motivate White to elevate his game to try and go pro together -- they don't necessarily need to play on the same line for it to give him a kick in the pants.
That is true. All around.

White lacks creativity. He goes to the net and cycles, gets the puck to the point. Schroeder can drop a dime from any where. On the PP the compliment each other. With more space and time. White can set up shop and look to blast one. Schroeder can feed him from any where on the ice, or get it on net and let White crash and gobble up a rebound.

Old
06-29-2009, 10:20 PM
ChemicalHansen

Send a message via Skype™ to ChemicalHansen
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Gopher View Post
White lacks creativity. He goes to the net and cycles, gets the puck to the point. Schroeder can drop a dime from any where. On the PP the compliment each other. With more space and time. White can set up shop and look to blast one. Schroeder can feed him from any where on the ice, or get it on net and let White crash and gobble up a rebound.
So...

These two procreated:

(Photo evidence of said procreation?)

And made this:

Awesome?

Gagner may have the answer to that question as early late next March (end of NCAA season).

Old
06-29-2009, 10:57 PM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

Quote:
Put this on the main board but thought you guys might like to see what company Schroeder is in.

Here is a stat about Schroeder that should at least speak for his NCAA abilities.

Points per game in conference only. I use conference as all teams play simular schedules. Across the board. Some years WCHA teams will schedule little sisters of the blind faith and run the score up and pad stats. Overall stats are never good in comparing college players.

All as freshmen

Heatley 1.33 ppg
Schroeder 1.25
Parise 1.23
Vanek 1.18
Kessel 1.18
That's pretty impressive.

Old
06-30-2009, 12:36 AM
Wellwood You

Quote:

So Nonis was intending White to be the 3rd Sedin all along.

That makes MUCH more sense.

Old
06-30-2009, 12:38 AM
YogiCanucks

vCash: 50
I'd find it VERY funny if Gillis traded White to Toronto.

Old
06-30-2009, 12:41 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Quote:

Our third Sedin!

(to bad we aren't re-signing the Twins.).

edit: dang, incognism beat me to the punch-line.

Seriously though, thanks for the info.

Old
06-30-2009, 02:00 AM
knivez

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherlockHouse View Post
So...

These two procreated:

(Photo evidence of said procreation?)

And made this:

Awesome?

Gagner may have the answer to that question as early late next March (end of NCAA season).
Good sir, you win .

Old
06-30-2009, 03:47 AM
AgentNaslund*

Quote:

thanks. What do you think of Schroeder? Is he exciting to watch? Do you think hes an oustanding player? Do you think he could have finished with a little bit more goals? Tough? weak? Dirty player? tough player? Stands his ground type of player?

Old
06-30-2009, 06:39 AM
Tripwyre

An interesting note from the Kellan Tochkin training camp invite:

Quote:
"At first I didn't believe it was really him (Gillis)," Tochkin said with a chuckle during an interview with The News on Sunday. "I thought maybe one of my buddies was playing a joke, because it was a 604 number. But they had my GM with the Everett Silvertips (Doug Soetaert) up their suite, and they told me they really wanted me to come to their camp."
http://www.bclocalnews.com/fraser_va.../49441312.html

There's a word missing somewhere in there so I can't tell exactly what's going on, but it sounds like Gillis took a meeting with Everett's GM shortly after the draft. The Silvertips own Schroeder's CHL rights. Coincidence? Don't know why they'd want him to leave the NCAA without going pro, but it was the first thing that sprung to mind.

Old
06-30-2009, 08:15 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
An interesting note from the Kellan Tochkin training camp invite:

http://www.bclocalnews.com/fraser_va.../49441312.html

There's a word missing somewhere in there so I can't tell exactly what's going on, but it sounds like Gillis took a meeting with Everett's GM shortly after the draft. The Silvertips own Schroeder's CHL rights. Coincidence? Don't know why they'd want him to leave the NCAA without going pro, but it was the first thing that sprung to mind.

Wouldn't a move to the CHL be a step down in competition for Shroeder? It is my impression that the NCAA would be better for him in that regard... Maybe Gillis was making sure Everett was on the same page with that (explaining to them that he is going to remain in the NCAA).

Old
06-30-2009, 09:49 AM
prai

they did

Old
06-30-2009, 10:05 AM
s7ark
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats on this pick. No way I thought he'd fall that far. Great player, bit of a chip on his shoulder, but if he can back it up on ice, then so what. Devastatingly skilled player,

It pisses me off no end that you guys grabbed him. If our draft didn't go so well for us also, I'd be screaming bloody murder over yours.

Best of luck this FA season(but not with Jay of course, he's ours)

Closed Thread