HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Round 5, #127 overall - Rangers select Roman Horak

Old
06-28-2009, 02:15 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The CHL Import Draft is on Tuesday. Is Horak going to come over to play in the CHL?
I sure hope so. We've had good luck getting kids over for it.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 02:29 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I sure hope so. We've had good luck getting kids over for it.
Horak wants to play in the CHL

Quote:
Following Bourque’s selection, the Rangers did not pick again until the fifth round where they chose another forward, center Roman Horak from the Czech Republic with the 127th overall selection. Profiled as a swift skater with a nice scoring touch, the six-foot Horak notched 16 goals and 33 points this past season.

One of the appealing things about Horak is that he has made it known that he is coming to North America next season and is opting into the major-junior Canadian Hockey League’s Import Draft draft next week. Clark noted that Horak’s willingness to leave home to learn the North American game and become better acquainted with North America itself was a big plus in the Czech-native’s favor when the Rangers decided to draft him.
http://rangers.nhl.com/team/app/?ser...ticleid=432046

Cool

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 03:45 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Horak wants to play in the CHL

http://rangers.nhl.com/team/app/?ser...ticleid=432046

Cool
Very good to hear. Especially since his flaws appear to be maturity and willingness to get dirty. Making the desicion to come over indicates that he may be progressing in both areas. My only hope is that he doesn't go to the Q.

This is exactly the type of risk I like taking in later rounds.

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 03:46 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Sort of off-topic... but someone mentioned a David Kveton comparison before. Speaking of Kveton, I didn't even know he had numbers like he did this past season for Trinec Ocelari. I knew he left the Q to go back home, and apparently, it's working out well. 22 goals and 44 points in 46 games in the Extraliga is pretty damn good. Hopefully Kveton will come over soon, and Horak turns out to be something like him.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 03:51 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Very good to hear. Especially since his flaws appear to be maturity and willingness to get dirty. Making the desicion to come over indicates that he may be progressing in both areas. My only hope is that he doesn't go to the Q.

This is exactly the type of risk I like taking in later rounds.
Yup...if they develop, you've got additional depth, and more trade assets.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 04:05 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldshot View Post
Sort of off-topic... but someone mentioned a David Kveton comparison before. Speaking of Kveton, I didn't even know he had numbers like he did this past season for Trinec Ocelari. I knew he left the Q to go back home, and apparently, it's working out well. 22 goals and 44 points in 46 games in the Extraliga is pretty damn good. Hopefully Kveton will come over soon, and Horak turns out to be something like him.
outside of an amazing training camp and 10 goal preseason, I can't see this kid making the team. He doesn't seem willing to do his time in Hartford to make the NHL. I hope he comes over this season otherwise, hopefully he stays relevant enough to become a trade asset.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 10:46 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

CHL Import Draft is on Tuesday at 9am

http://chl.ca/importDraft.php

Windsor is in the market for another import to go along with Richard Panik because the Kings informed them Andrei Loktionov was not returning to Windsor and was going to the AHL

http://www.windsorstar.com/Sports/Sp...074/story.html

CHL teams are allowed two imports

Brampton has Grachev and Anders Eriksson who is out of junior eligibility. If Brampton takes two players who commit to playing in the CHL, it means the Rangers have informed Brampton Grachev won't be returning to their team.

Last edited by RangerBoy: 06-29-2009 at 10:59 PM.
Old
06-29-2009, 11:13 PM
NYR Viper

To me it all depends on if Duchene is planning on going back to juniors. If he is I wouldnt mind seeing Grachev go back, if he isnt, there is no way I am sending him back. No need to send him down to play with lesser talent and waste a year, however, if he and Duchene return they would be a force and most likely lead their team deep into the playoffs.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 08:49 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
To me it all depends on if Duchene is planning on going back to juniors. If he is I wouldnt mind seeing Grachev go back, if he isnt, there is no way I am sending him back. No need to send him down to play with lesser talent and waste a year, however, if he and Duchene return they would be a force and most likely lead their team deep into the playoffs.
I'd bet on Duchene going back to Brampton for another year. I don't think he's going to be a huge boost for the Avs just yet, so I can't imagine they're in a rush to get him to the NHL.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 09:27 AM
deke and score

Horak was just drafted 8th overall by the Chilliwack Bruins (WHL).

deke and score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 09:36 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
outside of an amazing training camp and 10 goal preseason, I can't see this kid making the team. He doesn't seem willing to do his time in Hartford to make the NHL. I hope he comes over this season otherwise, hopefully he stays relevant enough to become a trade asset.
Thats actually not correct, Kveton left the QMJHL to play in the Extraleague in the Czech Rep -- HFD have never been a option for him.

And after gooing home to the Czech league he developed a ton too after standing still in the Q for a year.

I would much rather see Horak staying in the Czech Rep then gooing to NA. I mean its extremly hard to argue that Czech/Slovak kids benefit from gooing over and playing in the CHL. Czech and Slovak hockey is in a disasturos shape due to all their kids gooing to the CHL where their development stalls...

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 09:43 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deke and score View Post

Horak was just drafted 8th overall by the Chilliwack Bruins (WHL).
I certainly didn't expect him to go that high. Though isn't Chilliwack the team that Sather is involved with?

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 09:44 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

I'm fairly certain that Chilliwack is the club Sather owns.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 09:45 AM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I certainly didn't expect him to go that high. Though isn't Chilliwack the team that Sather is involved with?
It is.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 10:05 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

NICE! I was hoping Sathers team would take him, for none other than being in the WHL. This kid has a chance to be a player, its all up to him now.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 10:07 AM
NYR Viper

Does anyone have any info on the Bruins? Good team? Bad team? Good coach? Will he get good ice time? etc.

Old
06-30-2009, 10:16 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Chilliwack hired Marc habschied to run that team. He is a really good junior coach and a former oiler. See it pays to have the GM who is part owner of a chl team. Except for kreider and the Russian kid taken in the 7th all of the rangers selection will be chl players.

Old
06-30-2009, 10:22 AM
NYR Viper

I like the idea of him playing in the WHL, and it definitely is nice to have the GM be involved in a CHL team.

Old
06-30-2009, 10:41 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Does anyone have any info on the Bruins? Good team? Bad team? Good coach? Will he get good ice time? etc.
He should get plenty of icetime, that team is offensively challenged, sound familiar?

Their best forward is Ryan Howse who Calgary took in the 3rd round last weekend. Good player, we might have drafted him in the 3rd round if Calgary didn't take him a few picks before ours.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 11:09 AM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Quote:
Don't hear too many good things about the owner!

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 03:21 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
With their first selection (8th overall) in the 2009 Canadian Hockey League Import Draft the Chilliwack Bruins have selected 18 year old center Roman Horak from the Czech Republic.

Horak, who was selected in the fifth round (127th overall) of Saturday’s NHL Entry Draft by the New York Rangers recorded 17 goals and 16 assists with HC Ceské Budejovice in the Czech Republic Under 20 League last season. He was also a member of the Czech National Team at the World Under 18 Championships in Fargo North Dakota in April where he registered two goals and one assist in six games.
http://communities.canada.com/thepro...b/default.aspx

Old
06-30-2009, 03:30 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Horak was a member of the Czech national team at the U-18 World Championship tournament, which was held in Fargo, North Dakota, in April.

At that tourney, he registered two goals and one assist in six games.

“We’re happy with what we did today,” said general manager Marc Habscheid. “He’s been a good player in the Czech Republic and he comes highly recommended from all the people we’ve talked to.”

With Glen Sather part of the Bruins ownership group, Habscheid and company were able to tap into the New York Rangers scouting network for a thorough report.

The book on Horak seems to be dynamic offensive talent and skating combined with some defensive deficiencies. As a 1991-born player with that sort of skill-set, he fits well with the team’s current and future plans.

“When you bring in a guy like him, you’re not doing it for his defensive prowess,” Habsheid said, discussing the major hole in Horak’s game. “We’re bringing him over for his offence, and we don’t want to take that away. At the same time, he has to make a committment to the other end of the ice, and we’ll work at rounding out his game.”
http://www.bclocalnews.com/sports/49514977.html

Who brought in Habscheid? Sather made him Head Coach/GM.

Old
06-30-2009, 08:26 PM
Draft Guru

That's great news. Not only is he going to the WHL (IMO the best of the 3) but he'll be coached by one of the best coaches in the entire CHL.

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 08:13 PM
Bills09

was Horak at the prospect camp?
any details?

Bills09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 08:15 PM
NYR Viper

I didnt hear anything about him so I dont think so.