HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pronger for Lupul & Sbisa and two 1st round picks. Your opinion..

View Poll Results: So do you?
Yes 201 58.60%
No 142 41.40%
Voters: 343. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-27-2009, 12:52 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Play him lower minutes this year, so he's cheaper to keep next year
Even strength: Timo-Coburn, Pronger-Carle, Parent-Montador/Alberts
PP Timonen-Pronger, Coburn-Carle
PK Pronger-Parent, Timonen-Coburn/Alberts/Montador

either way Carle will be gone once Coburn needs more money.
I wont lie... I hope we dont keep Alberts. Then we only have one 3rd round pick lol. We need to draft some kids this year...

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 12:56 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
This is a big season for Parent. I'm not sure I want him wasting away with Jones or some joe-blow on the third pairing for 12-15 minutes a night.
yeah i know, but if Carle is still here do we dare put Carle with Jones? even for 12 minutes a night. Perfect reason to trade Carle even for below market value(dont think we get much for him anyway with our situation) and bring in a 3rd line pairing guy who can fit in

Timonen-Coburn
Pronger-Parent
Jones--UFA

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 12:59 AM
Mr Oysterhead

If there was a "Love" option, I would have selected that.

Mr Oysterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 01:00 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStevensDotCom View Post
yeah i know, but if Carle is still here do we dare put Carle with Jones? even for 12 minutes a night. Perfect reason to trade Carle even for below market value(dont think we get much for him anyway with our situation) and bring in a 3rd line pairing guy who can fit in

Timonen-Coburn
Pronger-Parent
Jones--UFA
I think we could get something for Carle. So far everytime he was traded, there was a decent trade coming back. He didnt do terrible on the Flyers, so I think we could get a good deal.

And even though Id rather do your pairings, I think a pairing of

Timonen-Pronger
Coburn-Parent
Jones-UFA

wouldn't be too bad.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 01:11 AM
CNote
Get 'er done

Quote:
The 34-year-old defenceman is thrilled by the move and fully expects his new team to challenge for the Stanley Cup next season.

"Absolutely," Pronger said. "If we get the goaltending from (Ray) Emery that he gave Ottawa when we played them in the final, then I think we are sitting pretty.

"Some people might say the Flyers gave up a lot to get me because of the draft picks, but when you want to win (the Cup) you have to take chances. First round picks don’t always work out. Sometimes it’s better to go with the guy you know than the guy you think might be good. There are people who hate me and people who like me. It doesn’t matter to me. All I have to do is go out every night and play the best I can play."
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2009/...lyers_pronger/

I like it! Welcome to Philly Chris!

CNote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 01:11 AM
Go_Krog*

Ducks fan here, i like the trade from Anaheim's perspective, but if i were a flyers fan, id like the trade a lot too. philly is close, very close. so strike while the irons hot and add the best player you possibly could in the most needed position for you without putting the team in cap hell for years to come. great move for the flyers. hope he does well with them and now that im living in pittsburgh, hopefully i can watch him drop some bombs on penguins.

Go_Krog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 01:12 AM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
Man some people are really *****ing about this. But I am so pumped to see him elbow some mother****ers

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 01:17 AM
NWAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergIsOdin View Post
Man some people are really *****ing about this. But I am so pumped to see him elbow some mother****ers
Post of the year.

NWAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 01:18 AM
Ghost of Downie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergIsOdin View Post
Between Emery punching people in the head and Pronger throwing bows, people in front of the net better watch the **** out.

Ghost of Downie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 01:28 AM
Dado

vCash:
From a Canuck who really wanted Pronger (or S.Nieds) in Vancouver - congrats. Yes, the price is high, but you are getting a lion of a player who will eat up ice time like you've never had a D do for you. He is a *horrible* guy to play against! He has a nasty nasty edge and grace under fire that, from what I saw in the playoffs, your team was often missing.

Assuming your GM doesn't screw this up while adjusting the salary situation, you are *much* better off now than you were a year ago.

Good luck with Pronger - Flyers have the tools, now they just need to get out there and get to the damn finals!

Old
06-27-2009, 01:32 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I think we could get something for Carle. So far everytime he was traded, there was a decent trade coming back. He didnt do terrible on the Flyers, so I think we could get a good deal.

And even though Id rather do your pairings, I think a pairing of

Timonen-Pronger
Coburn-Parent
Jones-UFA

wouldn't be too bad.
this is where the flyers have to tread lightly. follow me for a second. trading to get pronger tells us all this: the flyers want to win now. it is highly unlikely, though possible, that the 3rd pairing will be jones/carle (i'm assuming a top 4 of kimmo, coburn, parent, pronger). the question is then this: are we better with carle or jones on our third pairing with a UFA? the majority of us would probably say carle. so let's keep carle, right?

fastforward to february. the flyers are doing well, but maybe they're looking for something to get them over the top, or they're dealing with injuries and trying to fit people on the team. sound familiar? the difference in carle and jones' salaries may play a significant part in that. there were a few of us who ridiculed homer, citing jones' contract as an unnecessary allocation of funds and complete overpayment, which certainly cost us. he should have gotten no more than 1.5. he got 2.75. byebye upshall. could that happen next year where carle's 3.4 is the killer contract? it's possible. i'd like to think that we won't be pressing right up against the cap, that we'll have a little bit of wiggle room.

if we have to get rid of one of these two, carle will bring us back more than jones, for sure. next summer, when we've got more cap issues, we might have to suck up a bad deal (think carle plus a pick a la upshall deal) just to get rid of him and get relief.

it's obvious that the flyers like jones, but they also liked sbisa. jones is certainly not untouchable. homer and co just need to be careful because every dollar counts. you've got the money aspect on one side, then you have the "go for broke" mentality on the other. it'll be interesting to see where this goes.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 01:49 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

I think that it's not only poor asset management, but he's also not the complete missing piece. Even when Anaheim traded for him, one could argue that they were Stanley Cup favorites when they traded for him. Pronger just gives us a better chance at beating the Penguins. It's a 'the missing piece' kind of trade made by a team with other missing pieces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Downie View Post
Between Emery punching people in the head and Pronger throwing bows, people in front of the net better watch the **** out.
Oooh. People are scared of the big bad Flyers now. Were they scared when we had a different guy suspended every week in the fall of 2007? No, we looked like a bunch of idiots just trying to instill the Flyers jaded image around the league.

Newsflash: teams who have what it takes to win, don't really give a damn.

This is the kind of attitude where people wonder why they think the Flyers are victimized by the NHL and refs when they're looking for guys to get knocked out by Pronger's flying elbows.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 01:50 AM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
I wanna see him hit Crosby. The more I think about this, the more I'm okay with it. We were missing this type of Defense player last year, with Hatch being out all year. So here's to having Pronger. That is really weird to think about.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 01:56 AM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
From an outsider, I love the trade. Sbisa is a good player, and those two first round picks were a bit sharp. Lupul being gone though, is a big positive. Getting rid of that ridiculous salary is going to help you guys out a lot. The Blackhawk's are in a similar cap situation, and I wish we could unload dead weight contracts like that. Giroux should have no problem filling his top 6 role. Oh, did I mention Chris Pronger? He'll fit in Philly perfectly. I'm looking forward to you guys crushing the Penguins next year. Go Flyers.

brtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 01:58 AM
teegale
Hartnell Down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
Once again I am baffled by the attitude on HFBoards.

Picks > Prospects > NHL Players apparently.

Discounting goaltender, this move solves our biggest hole in every conceivable way. The only defenseman I could think of that would be better for us than Pronger is Chara and he obviously isn't available.

We get a number 1 d-man who is a perfect complement to our already #1 d-man Timonen and will take loads of pressure and ice time from him, we get a nasty defender who can clear bodies out of the crease, and we get a veteran leader who steps up during the playoffs.

Yeah we had to give up a lot to get him, that's the way it works. It's unbelievable how some people are whining about how we are giving away picks that might turn out to be nothing. Sure, it's fun to get excited about what young players might accomplish in the NHL and to see hockey's future rate your club as having one of the deepest prospect pools and to claim that "this kid is going to be something special".

But you know what? Pronger IS special. We don't have to get excited for what he'll do in the NHL because he's doing it right now, he's been doing it for a long time, and now...he's doing it for US.

And to those who say this team isn't a contender, I'm not sure what teams your looking at that are completely bulletproof or have as few weaknesses as the Flyers do. What do you think we should do? Rebuild? Keep stashing away prospects and picks until Timonen and Briere are gone? Are we waiting for that top end goalie to finally become magically available?

If you truly, sincerely hate this move then it is because you are either delusional or scared. Delusional if you don't think Pronger is exactly what this team. Scared if you think that it won't work and you'll wish that you had those picks because picks and prospects are safe and you don't have to worry about judging them for several years.

Grow some ****ing balls. I'd rather take my shot today then wait and see what whatever young guys we would have drafted have in store for us in 5 years.
This is probably the best post in this entire thread.

/thread

teegale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 01:59 AM
supa scoop

We gave up a lot. However, when I first heard from Dregger that we got Pronger, my immediate thought was that one of Gagne, JVR, or Giroux would be included. Needless to say I was very relieved to see Lupul and Sbisa's names. The way I see it, everyone wanted Lupul gone for next to nothing (6-7 days of talking to a defenseman who clearly wants to test UFA). Sbisa is the part that hurts the most I think, if only cause we saw glimpses of what he could turn out to be. The two 1sts suck to lose, but that's trading away players that, if they even pan out, aren't playing for at least 1-2 years.

Pronger changes the whole dynamic of this team. Just thinking about how Kimmo did just the same, makes me very excited to see this team with Pronger. The guy can log 25+ minutes, be an absolute physical monster, and quarterback a powerplay. He is exactly what we needed on defense.

supa scoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 01:59 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
people loved the Carcillo trade where we gave up a second + a player, yet hate this trade? We got a Hart/Norris/Stanly cup winner. I love Sbisa as much as anyone else but considering people were calling Lupul's deal "unmoveable" this is a great trade.
Loved the Carcillo trade?!!!!!!!!! You have to be kidding. That trade sucked big time. And unless we sign Chris to a long term contract and or win the cup next year, we got hosed on this deal to. Terrible terrible.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 02:02 AM
RonFournier

Seriously Philly fans take example on your own team and be a little more bad*ss.

You guys just got the most physical player in the whole league, a beast defensively who will get you +/- 50 points. And most importantly, HE WILL KICK CROSBY'S ASS ON A REGULAR BASIS.

Congratulations, you're now one of the front runners for the Cup!

RonFournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 02:02 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
Loved the Carcillo trade?!!!!!!!!! You have to be kidding. That trade sucked big time. And unless we sign Chris to a long term contract and or win the cup next year, we got hosed on this deal to. Terrible terrible.

We got the best player in the deal by far...how did we get hosed?

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 02:05 AM
Toonces
The beer kitty

I like this trade.

The Flyers add one of the best defencemen in the league, for one expendable roster player. Yeah, losing Sbisa kinda sucks, I really liked him, but this trade not only brings this team closer to the Cup, but perhaps gives the Flyers the best top six defence in the entire league.

As for the first rounders, teams that win Cups take risks, this is one, but one I'd be willing to take.

Toonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 02:11 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
[/B]

We got the best player in the deal by far...how did we get hosed?
Read my post. If we only have him for one year do you think it was worth it? I do not think so.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 02:12 AM
chaosof99*

I think it is a slight overpayment which might be offset by winning a cup and I really hate to have sent away Sbisa, but sending Lupul away for Pronger... I could not have asked for more.

Now I just hope Pronger physics doesn't get him suspended.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 02:12 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
I wanna see him hit Crosby. The more I think about this, the more I'm okay with it. We were missing this type of Defense player last year, with Hatch being out all year. So here's to having Pronger. That is really weird to think about.
pronger's just ****ing scary because he's got every ounce (if not more) of hatcher's physical play/nastiness/ugliness and just as much (if not more) offensive talent as timonen. here's to him signing an extension and staying in shape.

pronger may be just past his prime, but so are neidermayer and lidstrom, and all three of them now are still better than everyone else in the league with the exception of chara and maybe one other dman.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 02:13 AM
flyerfan1248

Here's what I would have done, and would be doing to the Flyers over the Summer offseason... I don't know if you guys would like it or not, but this is all IMO.

Still get Pronger, but trade Parent instead of Sbisa, and maybe not the third round pick. Then, maybe get rid of Briere (by somehow telling him to waive his NMC), replace him with a promising upcoming Phantom, have Munroe as the backup next to Emery, waive Jones, replace him with Bouwmeester, and possibly replace Syvret for Carle by waiving Carle. So, i don't know the cap hit on this, but this is the lines IMO for the 09-10 season:

Forwards

Gagne-Richards-Giroux (Yes, I think Giroux can handle a top spot)
Hartnell-Carter-Knuble
Carcillo-Ross-JVR
Maroon-Powe-Nodl

The fourth line all played together in the AHL. They would do well together I think.

Defenseman

Pronger-Bouwmeester
Alberts-Coburn (Not too sure about that combination... good physically though)
Timonen-Sbisa/Syvret (A veteran will need to help out Sbisa or Syvret, whichever one)

Goalies

Emery
Munroe

I'm not too sure this will all fare out if something like this would happen. *Scratches head*

flyerfan1248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 02:14 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonFournier View Post
Seriously Philly fans take example on your own team and be a little more bad*ss.

You guys just got the most physical player in the whole league, a beast defensively who will get you +/- 50 points. And most importantly, HE WILL KICK CROSBY'S ASS ON A REGULAR BASIS.

Congratulations, you're now one of the front runners for the Cup!
Why does everyone think Sidney Crosby is afraid of Chris Pronger?

Sidney Crosby wasn't afraid of Derian Hatcher, who oh yeah, was also a big nasty defenseman, who won a Stanley Cup, and may be in the Hall of Fame.

Pronger is better than Hatcher, but if you think Crosby is going to piss himself when he sees Chris Pronger across from him in orange and black, get real.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote