HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Atmosphere inside NVMC..

Old
06-26-2009, 11:41 PM
IslesBeBack*

vCash: 500
Atmosphere inside NVMC..

Figured you guys would enjoy this. Notice the complete silence as Garth Snow goes to make the pick. Almost as if things could have gone completely wrong, only to launch an extreme sigh of relief from the faithful. Was pretty intense for a freaking Draft Party.

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2009, 11:52 PM
xECK29x

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
Figured you guys would enjoy this. Notice the complete silence as Garth Snow goes to make the pick. Almost as if things could have gone completely wrong, only to launch an extreme sigh of relief from the faithful. Was pretty intense for a freaking Draft Party.

Awesome vid, but it does nothing to justify how crazy it was there when Garth made the pick, loudest I've ever heard the NVMC, including playoffs, there was a reported 11k there, hockey is strong on the Island, that's for sure, with a fanbase like we have and the team were building I don't see this team going anywhere.

Great party, great night...awesome draft thus far although it'll be hard for Garth to outdo himself last year.

Can't wait till tomorrow:
Ferraro, Roy/Hackett on my shortlist!

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 12:02 AM
Isles4ever11

Send a message via AIM to Isles4ever11
I was there. I've never, in my life, ever heard the Coliseum that loud before. It was just an amazing atmosphere. I can't even describe it.

Personally, I was happy with any of the 3, but preferred Tavares. But when his name was announced, it was just euphoric. What a night.

Isles4ever11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 12:09 AM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
Honestly, I'm thinking Hedman wins a Cup before Tavares. He's got the hulk body and the hockey scientist mind. Our big thing for years was Lidstrom's brain in Pronger's body and this kid looks like he's the closest we've come.

Too bad he's in Tampa though. What Hedman needs is a great coach to utilize him properly and eventually build the defense out from him. Half of Chara's rise to the Norris can be handed to Julien's expertise in using him.

But I'm sure what the Isles need is excitement, and Tavares is more likely to do that.

Jill Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 12:21 AM
Stajan Fan

That's so awesome to see, I hope the Islanders return to being a top franchise in the league, and get that new building they need.

Stajan Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 12:25 AM
IslesBeBack*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Therrien View Post
Honestly, I'm thinking Hedman wins a Cup before Tavares. He's got the hulk body and the hockey scientist mind. Our big thing for years was Lidstrom's brain in Pronger's body and this kid looks like he's the closest we've come.

Too bad he's in Tampa though. What Hedman needs is a great coach to utilize him properly and eventually build the defense out from him. Half of Chara's rise to the Norris can be handed to Julien's expertise in using him.

But I'm sure what the Isles need is excitement, and Tavares is more likely to do that.
It doesn't matter. Look at this video: Do you see how amazing L.I can be in this hockey market? Look at what drafting John Tavares just did. There is no doubt, the Islanders are going to sell upwards of 4,000 season tickets from this. Not only that, the merchandise, the hype, the excitement.. the SKILL that he adds.

This is just an amazing night for Islander fans. For what we have been through, this night was just a night for the hockey gods to let ONE thing go right for this franchise. Hedman and Duchene will be great players, but Tavares is an Islander. And to that, I can testify, NEEDED to happen.

Welcome to Long Island John. Opening night is going to be just insane.

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 12:31 AM
Lankyleo

another angle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xO_jmRevVv4#t=1m02s

Lankyleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 12:40 AM
edog37

Quote:

talent wise, the Bolts are ahead of the Isles, but then again, TB is a mess ownership wise & I don't think Tocchet is a Cup winning coach....

edog37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 12:44 AM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
Quote:
Originally Posted by edog37 View Post
talent wise, the Bolts are ahead of the Isles, but then again, TB is a mess ownership wise & I don't think Tocchet is a Cup winning coach....
Agreed, I just really like Hedman. In the fantasy scenario that I had to build from scratch between any of the guys in this draft, I start with Hedman. That's my prototypical defenseman.

Jill Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 12:52 AM
parabola
BOlieve dat

I have to wonder what the reaction would have been if someone else got picked.

parabola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 01:08 AM
edog37

Quote:
Agreed, I just really like Hedman. In the fantasy scenario that I had to build from scratch between any of the guys in this draft, I start with Hedman. That's my prototypical defenseman.
I don't disagree with you at all. Hedman is a franchise d-man & TB will certainly benefit.....the Islanders simply needed a franchise player like Tavares to get things moving in the right direction.....

edog37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 01:19 AM
VHC

Send a message via AIM to VHC
I am so bummed I couldn't be there, I got stuck working. The videos really make me smile though. Go Islanders for life.

VHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 01:39 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

That video gave me chills. The place got deathly silent and then wen't genuinely ballistic. I'm glad the fans are happy, I think it was the right pick.

Loved the confetti, too. I wonder if that goes off no matter who gets taken?

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 01:53 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy

Awesome stuff. Happy for the Islanders. They finally have a face for the franchise.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 02:29 AM

I hope John works out on that shoulder press a lot this summer. Thats going to be a pretty heavy load!!

Congrats NYI

91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 02:37 AM
Team_Spirit
#FireTherrien

vCash: 1211
Nice vid, Tavares is gonna be good.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 02:43 AM
Gil Gunderson

vCash: 1967
They made it pretty obvious by bringing cameras to the party, but still pretty cool.

Could be the rebirth of the franchise.

Gil Gunderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 02:56 AM
seawolves
IT'S BOSS TIME!!!

I was there, it was pretty crazy.

10,000 people attending when there is a Mets/Yankees game at Citi Field being played, and a severe thunderstorm overhead. Driving in it to get to the Coliseum on time was a story unto itself!

Got drenched but it was worth attending. Unlike many there though I wouldn't have been disappointed in Hedman or Duchene.

seawolves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 02:59 AM
BJo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stajan Fan View Post
That's so awesome to see, I hope the Islanders return to being a top franchise in the league, and get that new building they need.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2010 View Post
Awesome stuff. Happy for the Islanders. They finally have a face for the franchise.
Thank you both for the kindness. Much appreciated.

BJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 10:29 AM
NYIsles84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lankyleo View Post
haha nice this was my video. Tried to put it up ASAP as it seems they didn't show much of the reaction on the telecast of it. what a good night.

NYIsles84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 10:39 AM
Modo
MVP

vCash: 50
Imagine what JT feels when watching this video.....I wouldn't even want to know what a feeling that would be, knowing you caused that reaction!

Huge props to the Isles for not throwing a curve, and making a great (yet obvious) addition to their roster.

06-27-2009, 10:44 AM
Modo
MVP

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by STHLM View Post
Tavares= hyped Canadian! Is he Jesus or something? Reactions seems so!

Congrats to TB! You really WON in this draft!
Let me guess......Hedman fan?

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 11:29 AM
Chartrand

Am I the only one who thought that was kind of silly?

Not the gathering of fans, but celebrating like an OT Game Seven winner was just scored? Blowing the goal horn? Really? Really?

I mean it is good to see Isles fans excited and this is a big moment for the franchise, but it is a lot of cheering for something that wasn't particularly suspenseful or surprising.

Chartrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 11:34 AM
KH1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chartrand View Post

Not the gathering of fans, but celebrating like an OT Game Seven winner was just scored? Blowing the goal horn? Really? Really?

I mean it is good to see Isles fans excited and this is a big moment for the franchise, but it is a lot of cheering for something that wasn't particularly suspenseful or surprising.
Even though I would've been a little upset as an Isles fan, I would've paid good money to see the Isles select Duchene, and for the crowd to stay silent while the goal horn and confetti go off.

KH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 11:39 AM
Paulinho
No Man's Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chartrand View Post

Don't be a party pooper.

Paulinho is offline   Reply With Quote