HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

What bike for training?

Old
06-28-2009, 06:40 AM
pnewsom

vCash: 500
What bike for training?

I need to work on my cardio, and people I have talked to are recommending a bike instead of running.

What sort of bike is a good choice? I live out in the country and will probably stick to the back roads.

Thanks

pnewsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 07:58 AM
Semper Sens

Running can be bad for your knees so I can see you wouldn't want to go down that road.

With a bike though, it's difficult to get the intensity up.

If you're going for endurance and marathon-like rides, then more power to you. But if you want to do HIIT, I don't see how that would work. Every time you go full-out, you'd end up going too fast and have to slow down. Better to do burpees, or maybe swim?

If you really want to do bike cardio, it would be best to use a stationary bike so you can do "sprints" and not worry about how fast you're going.

Semper Sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 08:30 AM
pnewsom

I'm looking for some extra stamina towards the end of pickup hockey. They have stationary bikes at the gym where I train, but a real bike might be nice too. There are lots of hills around here so getting my heart rate up shouldn't be a problem.

pnewsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 08:44 AM
Gino 14

If you're looking for stamina and cardio with a bike you have to focus on your pedal rate more so than your bike speed. You need to keep your pedal speed up at a consistent rate in the 60's to 70's when you're riding, uphill or on the flats. If you ride the back roads, a crossover might be the bike for you unless your roads are in pretty good shape.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 09:18 AM
noobman

If you want to truly train for hockey then I'd recommend using a stationary bike.

If you want a bike to ride around for fun while working your leg muscles and spending time outdoors, I'd recommend a hybrid. On one hand there's no point getting a full on mountain bike if you're never going to go off-road, but on the other hand there's no point in getting one of those dinky (but surprisingly expensive) street bikes unless you're in an urban environment.

I have a hybrid and I usually stick to the main/side roads, but I occasionally feel the temptation to cut across a hydo field!

Also, +1 to the guy that recommended burpees.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 09:35 AM
rinkrat22

try a hybrid bike or cross bike. they usually are set up like a mountain bike with skinnier tires and the ride a little smoother than a road bike. bicycles are excellent for training for hockey, chelios is an avid mountain biker. as far as your pedal rpm (called cadence) wear a heart rate monitor thats what you need to pay attention to. you guys that are saying ride the stationary they dont count pedal strokes its all about the heart rate. all the spinner classes and the like are designed to mimick real rides. be forewarned your butt is gonna hurt for a week or 2.

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 09:57 AM
Skraut

Sort of on the topic, but has anybody used a Trikke? http://www.trikke.com/Home

Looks like it has sort of a skating stride to propel it, and would use roughly the same muscles as skating.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 01:12 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
Sort of on the topic, but has anybody used a Trikke? http://www.trikke.com/Home

Looks like it has sort of a skating stride to propel it, and would use roughly the same muscles as skating.
Well that is interesting for sure ... that would work the legs more like skiing maybe?

Weird .... I suppose it would be good to keep some of the hockey leg muscles in order.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote