HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Did Burke get Played? - All Burke draft talk here

Closed Thread

Old
06-27-2009, 07:03 AM
Qvist

vCash: 500
The reason why he has detractors is that he is nothing like Savard or Henrik Sedin at all. Those are playmakers, defined by high hockey sense and an ability to utilise their teammates, the exact qualities that are being questioned in Kadri's case. His downside isn't Henrik Sedin, his downside is a marginal medium-sized offensive player with unexceptional skating who has to rely on stickhandling his way through NHL defences.

cheers

Last edited by Qvist: 06-27-2009 at 07:20 AM.
Old
06-27-2009, 07:04 AM
eraserhead

Murray isn't a Jedi and event suggesting that an NHL GM would draft a player out of spite doesn't make sense.

Old
06-27-2009, 07:10 AM
Dark Knight
Lawson Crouse

I dont know but the conversation between Burke and Murray sounded pretty legit.

If Burke indeed didnt want Kadri and wanted to play Murray, he could have acquired what Murray was about to offer - something about flipping picks in the 2nd round.

He doesnt have that big of an ego that he'll purposefully pick a player, who's not the best available in their scouting ranks, only to piss a certain GM off. Whoever thinks that was the case is smoking some really nice ganja.

Also, good on him to put Montreal fans into their place. No one had a season full of turmoil than our beloved Canadiens, and it was classless to be boo-ing for this long especially when the guy is on the podium to select.

See you in Toronto.

Old
06-27-2009, 07:10 AM
oilphan

I don't think Burke got played. The feed only showed part of the conversation. However, I do think the rest of the league is starting to get tired of his antics and his big mouth. Nobody wants to deal with a guy who is going to talk about trades publicly before they happen. It was funny that the only guy who seemed to have his ear was his little sidekick Nonis. It was like watching the schoolyard bully who nobody likes with the one kid who thinks he is cool by his side. Even Gainey gave him the eye roll and walked away when Burke was asking him if he was going to close the Vinny deal early in the coverage.

Old
06-27-2009, 07:17 AM
Macman

Yup. Burke rushed out and had a Leafs jersey made up with Kadri's name on the back as soon as he found out the Sens wanted him. Geez.

Old
06-27-2009, 07:24 AM
TheHMan

Maybe Murray felt motivated to move up to grab one of Cowen or MPS at 7 rather than settling at the fair Kadri at 9th.

Most people assumed that the Senators would get Kadri at 9th but it's entirely possible that they liked two other players who were on the board more than Kadri. It seems like if that's the case, then Murray comes to Burke looking to grab one of the two.

Burke blurts out Kadri's name, Murray realises that Dallas can only take one of MSP or Cowen and goes along with it so he won't have to trade up. Fortunately for the Oilers, Dallas picked up Glennie, but if they picked Cowen Ottawa may have picked MPS.

It was a wierd situation, and even the guys at the Leafs table asked who they were going to pick so it doesn't seem like the consensus was there.

Old
06-27-2009, 07:27 AM
DutchLeafsfan

Send a message via ICQ to DutchLeafsfan Send a message via MSN to DutchLeafsfan
The way I read it is that Ottawa wanted Kadri but suspected Dallas might want him too. For this reason at an earlier time (I can't remember the exact time, but couple of picks before the Leafs pick), they contacted Burke about the option of flipping picks, something Burke seemed to want to wait for until he knew what the other teams in the meantime picked. With Kadri being the guy the Leafs wanted when the pick was up and others off the board, Burke asked Murray if Kadri was their guy as well, and seeing as it was saw little point of trading picks.

My guess anyways from perception in the middle of the European night here anyways, I hold little stock in all these conspiracy theories. Just a matter of 2 GMs discussing and being honest when there's little point not to.

Old
06-27-2009, 07:36 AM
Lilou
t-.-t

Do people even bother watching the video?

He said "we are taking Kadri" before Murray could answer his question. Seriously, go and watch the video again before you make Murry out to be some sneaky genius.

Old
06-27-2009, 07:44 AM
Penner getrdonebryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackey View Post
Can't they put a timer on the ... once the player gets picked...
the player hugs the dad, kisses the mom, the aunts, the uncles, brothers and sisters,
the neighbors and kisses the 50 other damn relatives and friends in the 3 rows around them
Sure it is a big event getting drafted... but keep it down to a few minutes

They should set a time limit on how long it takes the kid to come to the stage...

That's why the draft takes so long
They work hard for this moment , let them have it and celebrate it with their relatives . Nothing wrong with that

Old
06-27-2009, 07:48 AM
BLONG7

Burkie is the GOD of the NHL, just ask him, and he will tell you...no one plays Burkie

Old
06-27-2009, 07:50 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsabil View Post
I dont know but the conversation between Burke and Murray sounded pretty legit.

If Burke indeed didnt want Kadri and wanted to play Murray, he could have acquired what Murray was about to offer - something about flipping picks in the 2nd round.

He doesnt have that big of an ego that he'll purposefully pick a player, who's not the best available in their scouting ranks, only to piss a certain GM off. Whoever thinks that was the case is smoking some really nice ganja.

Also, good on him to put Montreal fans into their place. No one had a season full of turmoil than our beloved Canadiens, and it was classless to be boo-ing for this long especially when the guy is on the podium to select.

See you in Toronto.
Leaf fans love to boo their boys off the ice most nights...the stench of booing is as bad in TO as it is in Montreal...

Old
06-27-2009, 08:13 AM
kihei

vCash: 5008
I think Burke just played the hand that he got dealt. And maybe Kadri will be a decent player. But given Burke's endless love with a microphone, expectations were raised that he was going to do something other than just sit there and make a simple pick of the sort of player that few Leaf fans wanted. Almost every one expected more wheeling and dealing; more cunning; more brilliance. In the end, he talked a good game, but that was about it. He only has himself (and that giant ego: how could the Kings have the temerity to draft Schenn?) to blame for raising expectations.

Old
06-27-2009, 08:20 AM
dubey
Registered Genius

5 page thread on Burke since 1AM last night..

No wonder they call it the hockey mecca

Old
06-27-2009, 08:26 AM
Levitate

Burke drafted the next guy on their board. He didn't draft Kadri solely because of another team

Old
06-27-2009, 08:37 AM
Bad Will Hunting
It's my fault

vCash: 69

No Schenn for you!

Old
06-27-2009, 08:52 AM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackey View Post
Can't they put a timer on the ... once the player gets picked...
the player hugs the dad, kisses the mom, the aunts, the uncles, brothers and sisters,
the neighbors and kisses the 50 other damn relatives and friends in the 3 rows around them
Sure it is a big event getting drafted... but keep it down to a few minutes

They should set a time limit on how long it takes the kid to come to the stage...

That's why the draft takes so long
That time is not wasted at all. Once the announcement is made, deals are offered, negotiated, finalized etc. The hugging is not the bottleneck. If it was, the next announcement would be made after each player finished at the podium.

Old
06-27-2009, 09:04 AM
SenatorArmy

vCash: 1568
Send a message via MSN to SenatorArmy Send a message via Yahoo to SenatorArmy
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatfarmxxx View Post
I hate the Leafs, but in this case, maybe Burke was backstabbed by the Sabres if we look at his reaction after Buffalo claimed Shenn. We all know that Burke has not many friends around the NHL because of his pretty shy comments...
I thought it was the Kings who took Schenn...

Old
06-27-2009, 09:12 AM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

I was praying that the LEafs trade up to pick Brayden Schenn but it didn't happen .......

But to say Murray "played" Brian Burke is hilarious . Murray previously said he talked with Dallas about them picking Kadri , and Dallas said wern't interested and he came to Toronto to try and trade up in order to land NAzem . The trade talk was off at the moment when Burke said the Leafs were going to pick NAzem .

Old
06-27-2009, 09:13 AM
Modo
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post

No Schenn for you!
I remember that shot, that was priceless.

You had to know TSN was just waiting for another team to get Schenn, to get Burke's reaction.

06-27-2009, 09:16 AM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakovsky View Post
I think Burke was just continuing his long, long history of bad draft picks.

Has Burke and Nonis together ever come up with a good draft pick? We should put together a summary. I bet it would be terrible.
Brian Burke is not making the picks for the Leafs , the Leafs scouts are the people that are making the picks (although Brian Burke is announcing them)

And you want to look at the LEafs 1st round draft track since the current century started ?

Brad Boyes
Carlo Colaiacovo
Alexander Steen
Tuukka Rask
Jiri Tlusty
Luke Schenn

Old
06-27-2009, 09:16 AM
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrbez View Post
Off the top of my head:

Pronger, Sedin(s), Kesler, Umberger, Ryan, Schneider, Edler, Bourdon, Raymond...

Was Jeff O'Neill a Burke pick in Hartford, or was he gone by that point?

Had he NOT taken Pronger, the Sedins or Ryan with the draft position that he had, he wouldn't be known as a bad GM, he'd be known as a mentally challenged clown. Schneider hasn't done anything yet, Bourdon never had the chance to prove himself. Umberger is average and Kesler/Raymond/Edler are not stars by any means which is still good but what GM doesn't get a player like these at some point?

I mean even Houle got Markov in the 6th round and he's one of the biggest morons to ever manage a hockey team.

Old
06-27-2009, 09:17 AM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post

No Schenn for you!
No luck now but target him when he is a UFA !

Old
06-27-2009, 09:17 AM
The Legend
Stamkos in 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex28 View Post
How many of those were can't miss top 5 picks that any casual hockey fan would have been able to make?
I don't recall Alex28 making those picks, but hey, I could be wrong....

Old
06-27-2009, 09:21 AM
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Legend View Post
I don't recall Alex28 making those picks, but hey, I could be wrong....
I know, if I had the second overall pick, and I was the GM, I probably would've taken someone else other then Hedman

Old
06-27-2009, 09:21 AM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Habs Go View Post
Had he NOT taken Pronger, the Sedins or Ryan with the draft position that he had, he wouldn't be known as a bad GM, he'd be known as a mentally challenged clown. Schneider is hasn't done anything yet, Bourdon never had the chance to prove himself. Umberger is average and Kesler/Raymond/Edler are not stars by any means which is still good but what GM doesn't get a player like these at some point?

I mean even Houle got Markov in the 6th round and he's one of the biggest morons to ever manage a hockey team.
What in gods name are you talking about ?

Team scouts are the people that make picks for you team . GMs don't have the luxury to spend time scouting Andrei Markov or Alexander Edler etc in Europe .

Burke knew the type of players the Sedins , Pronger , etc, were and traded up for them (this shows that he actually spent time watching these guys play) . Umberger , RAymond , Kesler , Edler , Schnieder , Ryan , etc , were scouted by his scouts and were drafted based on these scouts' scouting reports !

Closed Thread