HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Eberle(22) and MPS(10) vs. Hodgson(10) and Schroeder(22)

Closed Thread

Old
06-27-2009, 03:25 AM
Westcoastsniper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiezyg View Post
How is a guy that is 5'8 a "safe pick"
Because "Some have been critical of Schroeder because of his size, but he would be a useful asset to any team in terms of his skill alone. Schroeder is a wizard with the puck, consistently findings ways to penetrate defenses with his deft stickhandling or speed. Schroeder does need to bulk up some to play professionally, but his skill level is already near-NHL caliber. Don't be surprised to see Schroeder as a first or second-line center in the near future."

Old
06-27-2009, 03:27 AM
Lounge Act*

So essentially Eberle/MPS vs. a smurf and the most overrated prospect in HF history.

I'd rather have the Oilers duo by a country mile thank you very much.

Old
06-27-2009, 03:30 AM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Thou View Post
So essentially Eberle/MSP vs. Schroeder/the most overrated prospect in HF history.

I'd rather have the Oilers duo by a country mile.
how is hodgson overrated when people constantly try to find reasons why he really isn't that good despite a fantastic season (lead WJC in scoring, 92 point in 53 games, CHL player of the year, etc...)

Old
06-27-2009, 03:31 AM
robbiezyg

vCash: 1234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoastsniper View Post
Because "Some have been critical of Schroeder because of his size, but he would be a useful asset to any team in terms of his skill alone. Schroeder is a wizard with the puck, consistently findings ways to penetrate defenses with his deft stickhandling or speed. Schroeder does need to bulk up some to play professionally, but his skill level is already near-NHL caliber. Don't be surprised to see Schroeder as a first or second-line center in the near future."
A safe pick is exactly what it sounds like... Its a player that if he doesn't make it as a scorer, he can still make it as a bottom 6 guy... I can't think of many bottom 6 guys that are 5'8. The thing with Jordan Schroeder is that I don't think he can put much more weight on... the guy is 180 (listed in hockeydb). Visnovsky for instance is 5'10 and 183.. and the guy is built like a truck.. (in TC they were saying he benched the most on the team). I like the pick and I like the player, He doesn't scream safe pick to me.

Old
06-27-2009, 03:36 AM
timorousme
luongod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
Ah, a Nucks fan showing their insecurities by immediately starting a thread over an issue that won't be decided for five years.

Here's a good side question... Which is better, a forum poll meant to generate biased results, or five Stanley Cups?
which is better living in the present or being stuck in the 80s

Old
06-27-2009, 03:37 AM
Blane Youngblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex28 View Post
Depends

Safe pick - Vancouver and it's not close
Assuming full potential reached - Edmonton and it's not close
If anything wouldn't MSP be considered the safest pick of the bunch? He doesn't have huge upside (because he doesn't have the greatest hands IMO) but he's a gritty player that can skate like the wind so he's going to make the show in some capacity.

While Eberle and Schroeder have size issues to overcome, both have done really well at the WJC (with Eberle getting more of a chance to be a difference maker due to the fact that he played for Canada).

Hodgson could be special IMO because his hockey sense seems to be much higher then the other players mentioned and he has solid hands.

I'd take the Canucks pair however I am a Canucks fan so I may be biased.

Personally I'd say:

Hodgson >>> MSP (but I've not been an MSP fan since prior to the draft), and
Schroeder = Eberle.

Old
06-27-2009, 03:37 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowMaster View Post
It would make more sense to match up the players drafted at the same spot.
No it wouldn't.

Hodgson and Eberle are a full year older than Svensson and Schroeder. Of course they will be further along.

Ask yourself this: MPS right now vs Hodgson at this time last year and Schroeder right now vs Eberle this time last year?

Sound stupid to you?

That's why this thread is stupid.

Old
06-27-2009, 04:14 AM
OneSharpMarble

I am overjoyed to see Edmonton get MPS, that puts them over the top.

Old
06-27-2009, 04:15 AM
SumOil

MPS>Hodgson (offensive potential)
Schroeder>Eberle

Old
06-27-2009, 04:18 AM
clayton magnet
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by timorousme View Post
which is better living in the present or being stuck in the 80s
at the present time the Oilers still have 5 more cups than the Canucks.

If I had to pick, I take the Canucks duo, they have franchise player coming up in Hodgson.

Old
06-27-2009, 04:24 AM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by madhockeyfan View Post
MPS>Hodgson (offensive potential)
Schroeder>Eberle
How does MSP have been offensive potential? The guy has average hockey sense at best and no hands.

Old
06-27-2009, 04:32 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
How does MSP have been offensive potential? The guy has average hockey sense at best and no hands.
Explains why he was a consensus top-5 pick in the deepest forward draft in 5 years.

Old
06-27-2009, 04:33 AM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
No hands? Jesus watch some hockey and then talk.

Old
06-27-2009, 04:40 AM
oil slick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
Explains why he was a consensus top-5 pick in the deepest forward draft in 5 years.
Obviously Jason MacIsaac made a crazy statement, but I've got to think Hodgson would be a top 5 pick, if not top 3 pick after the year he had. He's really stepped up his offensive game, so I don't really agree that MPS has more offensive potential...

Old
06-27-2009, 04:41 AM
The Gaud Father

vCash: 50
Although, I think by this time next year, MPS will be the steal at 10 that Hodgson was in 2008.

Old
06-27-2009, 04:44 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil slick View Post
Obviously Jason MacIsaac made a crazy statement, but I've got to think Hodgson would be a top 5 pick, if not top 3 pick after the year he had. He's really stepped up his offensive game, so I don't really agree that MPS has more offensive potential...
AFTER the year he had?

If you're going to do that, you need to do it for everybody. Stamkos had 40 points in the NHL, Doughty and Schenn played 20 minutes a game in the top-4 of their NHL teams, Bogosian had an impressive run in the NHL, Filatov had an excellent teenage season in the AHL.

How do you justify Hodgson over any of these players based on the season he had in the OHL?

Old
06-27-2009, 04:50 AM
oilsands
NHL Supertar

There is a reason Schroeder dropped to 22.

Eberle has already proven he was a steal at the draft.

In one year we can gage MSP vs Hodgeson.

Old
06-27-2009, 04:51 AM
oil slick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
AFTER the year he had?

If you're going to do that, you need to do it for everybody. Stamkos had 40 points in the NHL, Doughty and Schenn played 20 minutes a game in the top-4 of their NHL teams, Bogosian had an impressive run in the NHL, Filatov had an excellent teenage season in the AHL.

How do you justify Hodgson over any of these players based on the season he had in the OHL?
So yes - I'd take Stamkos, Doughty and probably Schenn. But I'd choose Hodgson over Bogosian and Filatov for the same reason I thought Toews would be a better player than Staal and Kessel, even when Toews was still in College. You see the players, and form an opinion about how good they will be.

Old
06-27-2009, 04:53 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskyoil View Post

Eberle has already proven he was a steal at the draft.

In one year we can gage MSP vs Hodgeson.
In on year, we can't gauge MPS vs Hodgson. Hodgson will likely have a year of NHL hockey under his belt, MPS won't have played a game.

Eberle hasn't proven he's a steal at all. He's done miraculous things at the World level but stagnated in Regina.

Schroeder fell because of an issue he will definitely have to overcome. He's 5'8. That's really small. I still think it was a beauty pick and the GM's that passed on him in the 12-21 range are cowards.

Old
06-27-2009, 04:54 AM
Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskyoil View Post
Yes, his size. I really don't think Eberle has proven anything more than Schroeder at this point. They're pretty equal (small skilled guys with great skating ability who put up comparable statistics in different leagues) and I think a year from now MSP will be equal to Hodgson at this point (though Hodgson will be the more complete player).

Old
06-27-2009, 04:58 AM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
In on year, we can't gauge MPS vs Hodgson. Hodgson will likely have a year of NHL hockey under his belt, MPS won't have played a game.

Eberle hasn't proven he's a steal at all. He's done miraculous things at the World level but stagnated in Regina.

Schroeder fell because of an issue he will definitely have to overcome. He's 5'8. That's really small. I still think it was a beauty pick and the GM's that passed on him in the 12-21 range are cowards.
Does it ever occur to you he dropped due to something other then size. Lou Lamoriello doesn't pass over players because of size...he has proved this year after year. He apparently did poorly with his interviews.

Old
06-27-2009, 05:03 AM
Grub
First Line Troll

vCash: 883
First of all, I wouldn't be that excited of Eberle since the oilers have too much small forwards (Gagner, Cogliano, Schremp, Brule) on their current lineup.

Edmonton needs bigger players and in my opinion Eberle is a weaker version of Sam Gagner.

MPS is the unknown here and I think he will turn out to be a great player.

I just think Hodgson and Schroeder is the better option.

Old
06-27-2009, 05:05 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Does it ever occur to you he dropped due to something other then size. Lou Lamoriello doesn't pass over players because of size...he has proved this year after year. He apparently did poorly with his interviews.
He doesn't drop 8-10 spots because he said Sean Avery instead of Barack Obama.

Teams weren't drafting BPA like they should have been. Schroeder got passed up because he was 5'8 and that made them nervous.

Same reason Ellis wasn't a top-5 pick. Outscoring Matt Duchene from the blue-line would have been a lot more harder to pass up if he was 6'2 and not 5'9 1/2.

Old
06-27-2009, 05:08 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grub View Post
First of all, I wouldn't be that excited of Eberle since the oilers have too much small forwards (Gagner, Cogliano, Schremp, Brule) on their current lineup.
Schremp has no place on the roster. Brule has no impact on the top-six, which is the only place we're too small. If and when Eberle is ready, you move someone out and make room. It's building from BPA and trading from a place of redundancy.

Smaller, weaker version of Gagner? They are the same size. Eberle is more of a scorer, Gagner is more of a playmaker. Only similarity is that they are both really smart hockey players.

Old
06-27-2009, 05:10 AM
Nalyd Psycho

I dunno what's funnier, that both teams swapped draft position, or that they both made two excellent picks.

As a Canucks fan, I'm just too happy to pick fights with other fan bases.