HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Eberle(22) and MPS(10) vs. Hodgson(10) and Schroeder(22)

Closed Thread

Old
06-27-2009, 05:11 AM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
He doesn't drop 8-10 spots because he said Sean Avery instead of Barack Obama.

Teams weren't drafting BPA like they should have been. Schroeder got passed up because he was 5'8 and that made them nervous.

Same reason Ellis wasn't a top-5 pick. Outscoring Matt Duchene from the blue-line would have been a lot more harder to pass up if he was 6'2 and not 5'9 1/2.
So you know for a fact that why teams weren't impressed with him during the interviews. That is just one example. Like i said before, Lou doesn't pass on players due to size and he certainly doesn't draft based on needs so either Josefson was higher on the Devils BPA list or Schroeder droped due to reasons other then size.

Old
06-27-2009, 05:12 AM
Grub
First Line Troll

vCash: 883
Quote:
Schremp has no place on the roster. Brule has no impact on the top-six, which is the only place we're too small. If and when Eberle is ready, you move someone out and make room. It's building from BPA and trading from a place of redundancy.

Smaller, weaker version of Gagner? They are the same size. Eberle is more of a scorer, Gagner is more of a playmaker. Only similarity is that they are both really smart hockey players.
I guess this response makes sense.

I seriously still think that the Oilers need to draft bigger though.

Old
06-27-2009, 05:14 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
So you know for a fact that why teams weren't impressed with him during the interviews. That is just one example. Like i said before, Lou doesn't pass on players due to size and he certainly doesn't draft based on needs so either Josefson was higher on the Devils BPA list or Schroeder droped due to reasons other then size.
Until I hear from somebody that he fell BECAUSE of what he said in his interview and not the very first comment in every, single scouting report ever made on him - I'll believe it.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Lou have Josefsson higher than Schroeder, either. Some people had him in 10-15 range, too.

Old
06-27-2009, 05:15 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grub View Post
I guess this response makes sense.

I seriously still think that the Oilers need to draft bigger though.
Trade for need, Draft by BPA.

They'll have to address these concerns by trading for NHL players.

Neither of Svensson or Eberle will be playing this year, barring minor miracle.

Old
06-27-2009, 05:38 AM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
Yes, his size. I really don't think Eberle has proven anything more than Schroeder at this point. They're pretty equal (small skilled guys with great skating ability who put up comparable statistics in different leagues) and I think a year from now MSP will be equal to Hodgson at this point (though Hodgson will be the more complete player).
wouldn't Schroeders 1.3 ppg as an 18 year old freshman be considered better than Eberle's 1.21 in his 3rd WHL season (also at 18)?

Old
06-27-2009, 06:24 AM
surshot*

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge2k View Post
wouldn't Schroeders 1.3 ppg as an 18 year old freshman be considered better than Eberle's 1.21 in his 3rd WHL season (also at 18)?
Its worth mentioning Eberle had little help in Regina. While Schroeder plays on a stacked team if i am not mistaken. This is all pretty stupid since they our all great prospects including Schroeder. I would love to know why he fell so far is he a bad interview or is it just a size issue?. To me its a good pick for the nucks as they could use a smaller prospect i just hope his game is effective in the NHL.

I am willing to make this bet. MPS and Mr.clutch well score more goals in the NHL while Hodgson and Schroeder well get more assists. Although i do have questions about Schroeder but feel he became victim to the teams wanting atleast some size. I swore that Minny was going to take him but maybe the scouts know something i don't. Yesterday if somebody told me Leddy would go before Schroeder i would have laughed in there face. It just goes to show, the only rankings that matter our the ones the thirty teams bring on draft day. The other rankings we see are just a educated guesses.

Old
06-27-2009, 07:09 AM
Grub
First Line Troll

Can we all be friends?

We all should be happy with the picks...

Old
06-27-2009, 07:10 AM
Grub
First Line Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by surshot View Post
Its worth mentioning Eberle had little help in Regina. While Schroeder plays on a stacked team if i am not mistaken. This is all pretty stupid since they our all great prospects including Schroeder. I would love to know why he fell so far is he a bad interview or is it just a size issue?. To me its a good pick for the nucks as they could use a smaller prospect i just hope his game is effective in the NHL.

I am willing to make this bet. MPS and Mr.clutch well score more goals in the NHL while Hodgson and Schroeder well get more assists. Although i do have questions about Schroeder but feel he became victim to the teams wanting atleast some size. I swore that Minny was going to take him but maybe the scouts know something i don't. Yesterday if somebody told me Leddy would go before Schroeder i would have laughed in there face. It just goes to show, the only rankings that matter our the ones the thirty teams bring on draft day. The other rankings we see are just a educated guesses.
Schroeder on a stacked team? Mod: deleted. He's a freshmen racking up 45 points in his first NCAA season......

BTW stop calling Schroeder a smurf he weights 175-180 pounds... Eberle basictly weigh the same...Schroeder also led team USA in scoring...

The NCAA is filled with 22+ years olds... so he's been playing amongst men....

Last edited by Fugu: 06-27-2009 at 02:07 PM. Reason: flame
Old
06-27-2009, 07:26 AM
alphahelix

You Canucks fans must realize that there is a very real bust potential in drafting Schroeder, right? Having said that, Were I picking in the late teens/early 20's I certainly would have considered him because the reward is very high. The guy is very skilled. But who is to say if he can ever make it in the NHL? When was the last time a guy under 5'9 was drafted in the first round? When was the last time a guy who was 5'8 successfuly broke into the NHL? Its been a while. He has to be really stellar to make this happen. Theo Fleury and Brian Gionta are the only players smaller than him in the modern era to have any significant success. Samsonov is probably a strong comparable, but you have to admit the number of guys at this size who make it big is a really short list. Having said that, at 22 I give major kudos on the pick. However, there is no way in hell I would even consider for a milisecond trading Eberle for Schroeder.

Old
06-27-2009, 07:41 AM
Chfan
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahelix View Post
You Canucks fans must realize that there is a very real bust potential in drafting Schroeder, right? Having said that, Were I picking in the late teens/early 20's I certainly would have considered him because the reward is very high. The guy is very skilled. But who is to say if he can ever make it in the NHL? When was the last time a guy under 5'9 was drafted in the first round? When was the last time a guy who was 5'8 successfuly broke into the NHL? Its been a while. He has to be really stellar to make this happen. Theo Fleury and Brian Gionta are the only players smaller than him in the modern era to have any significant success. Samsonov is probably a strong comparable, but you have to admit the number of guys at this size who make it big is a really short list. Having said that, at 22 I give major kudos on the pick. However, there is no way in hell I would even consider for a milisecond trading Eberle for Schroeder.
Hum, not to compare the two but, Patrick Kane is 5''9.

Old
06-27-2009, 08:01 AM
Andy Dufresne

These so and so vs. so and so threads are pretty dumb and usually bring out the worst in fans but I will say this about MPS- the common thinking that he has no finish should come with the caveat that almost everytime ANYONE has seen him he's been playing against much older players.

Lacked finish Swedish J-20.....as a 16 yr old
lacked finish in the SEL as a 16 & 17 yr old
lacked finish in the WJC as a 16 & 17 yr old
Scored 6 goals in 6 games in the U-18 WJC as a 17 yr old.

Makes me wonder what kind of numbers he would have put up playing for Andover? That's not a rip on Chris Kreider or US high school hockey either it's just that Kreider is probably the best comparable for Svensson in this draft.

I think he was a steal at 10 and I'm a Canucks fan.

Old
06-27-2009, 08:05 AM
OilerOlli*

MPS and Eberle, no doubt.
But the canucks duo isn't bad too.

Old
06-27-2009, 08:06 AM
Grub
First Line Troll

^

Ofcourse he was a steal no doubt. I thought TO was going to pick him..I bet at that time when the Yotes picked Cowen, the Oiler fans had that same ember of excitement as when the Isles picked Bailey...

I know how it feels... feels good.... feels really good

Old
06-27-2009, 09:09 AM
JBIZ14

Both teams should be very excited about the players they have gotten without either having a top 5 pick...I see a lot of laser beam wristers in the Canucks future...

Old
06-27-2009, 10:28 AM
dubey
~manlets~

Hodgson and Schroeder.....not even close.

Old
06-27-2009, 11:54 AM
GDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowMaster View Post
It would make more sense to match up the players drafted at the same spot.

Hodgson > MSP
Schroeder > Eberle

Canucks win.
Hodgson = MSP

Eberle > Schroeder (not even close IMO)...

Old
06-27-2009, 12:01 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

Both teams did well.
But Vancouver gets the nod here

Old
06-27-2009, 12:03 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDU View Post
Hodgson = MSP

Eberle > Schroeder (not even close IMO)...
Care to explain how it's not even close?

Old
06-27-2009, 12:03 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
Yes, his size. I really don't think Eberle has proven anything more than Schroeder at this point. They're pretty equal (small skilled guys with great skating ability who put up comparable statistics in different leagues) and I think a year from now MSP will be equal to Hodgson at this point (though Hodgson will be the more complete player).
I heard the biggest reason he dropped was he was very unimpressive in interviews. Dinner with Avery anyone?

Old
06-27-2009, 12:08 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Lets be realistic here guys, We like to crap on each other, but I don't think the Oilers or the Canucks, or Colorado this year could have asked for better picks.

Lets get the Northwest back where it belongs, the best, and toughest division in the NHL.

Old
06-27-2009, 12:15 PM
Cody Hodgson

This kid Schroeder is about Patrick Kane's size but a lot more filled out with a thicker body.

He probably doesn't have quite the skill level as a Patrick Kane but it isn't far off which makes me believe he'll have a good shot at becoming a solid top 6 NHL player.

He's got the speed, skill and hockey iq/sense to thrive at the NHL so thats why I'm confident he won't be a bust. His combine results were scary for someone his size.

Well Hodgson's accomplishments this year speak for itself so if I were choose which were the better duo

Hodgson>MPS

Schroeder=Eberle

Last edited by Cody Hodgson: 06-27-2009 at 12:22 PM.
Old
06-27-2009, 12:18 PM
Moore Money

I think Hodgson and Schroeder are more NHL ready but the potential is about even.

Old
06-27-2009, 12:31 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Anyone (on either side) who's uttering the phrase "not even close" really needs to grow the hell up here.

The only reason you would ever say that is to piss off the other side.

Old
06-27-2009, 12:31 PM
Skelator 786*

Hodgson >> Eberle

Schroeder = MPS (I can answer this in a year)

Old
06-27-2009, 12:32 PM
SaucyNavel
GinoGinoGino

Quote:
Anyone (on either side) who's uttering the phrase "not even close" really needs to grow the hell up here.

The only reason you would ever say that is to piss off the other side.
yup and it's lame...

like i previously said in here....

will be fun to see them play each other for years to come.

Closed Thread