HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Eberle(22) and MPS(10) vs. Hodgson(10) and Schroeder(22)

Closed Thread

Old
06-27-2009, 02:46 PM
NHLHammerbound*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Ya ( Hodgson ) def seems like a third or second line center
What are u trying to imply here ? That Hodgson will be a first line centre??...NOT A CHANCE...His skating's NOT up to snuff...

His ceiling is Good 2-WAY second liner, NO MORE...

Old
06-27-2009, 02:53 PM
NHLHammerbound*

Quote:
Eberles speed is pretty average, he isnt that fast.
He's certainly fast compared to Hodgson...prolly on a par with Schroeder, at a bare minimum

BTW Anyone else recall JT's empty net goal vs. Yanks, with Schroeder chasing him, & failing to gain ground ???

Eberle's a GOOD SKATER...Which doesnt make him better than Schroeder by any means, since I already admitted to liking Schroeder more...just saying, Eberle's upside is more comparable to Schroeders IMO...than MSP's >> Hodgson's

Old
06-27-2009, 02:53 PM
Moore Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLHammerbound View Post
What are u trying to imply here ? That Hodgson will be a first line centre??...NOT A CHANCE...His skating's NOT up to snuff...

His ceiling is Good 2-WAY second liner, NO MORE...
8.5 B = " Good 2-WAY second liner, NO MORE..." ?

whatever you gotta tell yourself.

Old
06-27-2009, 02:56 PM
Luongo2008*

facepalm...

Hodgson and Schroeder duo EASILY....

Old
06-27-2009, 02:59 PM
oilsands
shut 'em down.

Has anyone paused to think:

Hodgson is a year older than MSP, and accrued his well deserved accolades during this year advantage? MSP has not had the chance to prove himself.

As far as Schroeder vs Eberle... it works the same, Eberle has had a year to elevate his stock with great play and Schroeder's stock has only just been set (drafted yesterday!).

Old
06-27-2009, 03:01 PM
STAALing

This thread is basically Hodgson vs MSP. I'll take the swede because of potential.

Old
06-27-2009, 03:13 PM
CrosbyCrosby*

Quote:
Magnus Svensson Paajarvi 8.5 B
Cody Hodgson 8.5 C

Jordan Eberle 7.5B
Jordan Schroeder 7.5B
Nah dawg Hodgson was 8.0 C and he was bumped up to 8.5 B after the review. Suck it up.

Old
06-27-2009, 03:17 PM
rigger

In my opinion, and its only an opinion so don't jump all over me here.

Eberle will be lucky to have a Lupul type of career (hopefully not as much of a suit case) although he plays a better full game then Lupul does.

Hodgson looks like he could be a Comrie type of player. It takes something special to be his size and be a first line centre. I think Hodgson is best suited for a very good second line centre.

Schroeder doesn't seem to me like he will be anything more then a Kyle Wellwood type of player. Might have a few good seasons but for the most part he's not an impact player. I think Eberle is a far better player then Schroeder.

Magnus Paajarvi Svensson, not only the best name of the foursome but alway the player who I think had the highest ceiling. He's big, strong, agile, fast, very fast. I think he has the only legitimate chance at being a top line NHLer out of the 4 players. He has been compared to the good Naslund, the Naslund you guys remember from the early 2000's but he goes to the net a little more while Naslund use his wrist shot better.

I think Hodgson will have a better career then Eberle but both max out as second liners. I don't think Schroeder will amount to too much more then a Wellwood type. Sorry, only my opinion. I also think Magnus will put up numbers somewhere in around Daniel Sedin type of numbers but do it with a little more flair.

Old
06-27-2009, 03:20 PM
OILNATION*

I am probably biased, but I would almost rather MPS over Hodgsen for some reason. I like the way MPS plays and I think he will be a more exciting player. But I am not going to rip on Hodgsen because I think he will be an awesome player for the cancucks, I think his top potential is a first line center and I do think he will get there, whether or not he's a great first liner or just average will be the question... But who really knows anyway? I refuse to say which pairing will be better because no one really knows, but I will state my preference would be to keep Eberle and MPS over Hodgsen and Schroeder just because of the mere fact that I like the way Eberle and MPS play, it's a tiny inclination but in the end no one really has a solid basis to say one pair is better than the other. I think Schroeder has more upside than Eberle, but I also feel like he has a little more bust potential for some reason? That's just an uneducated inclination though, as is most every other opinion in this thread. In the end I say we will have to wait and see how both pairs pan out to make a final judgment... and all I can say is both teams are extremely lucky to have such solid prospects!

Old
06-27-2009, 03:24 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

Lets just end this debate with.

Edmonton and Vancouver both FINALLY have very good and high end prospects in there system. (Well finally for Vancouver anyways)

Old
06-27-2009, 03:27 PM
HFPM

Send a message via MSN to HFPM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
Lets just end this debate with.

Edmonton and Vancouver both FINALLY have very good and high end prospects in there system. (Well finally for Vancouver anyways)
So where are the greater than signs in your post?

You can't be fan if you don't piss all over other fanbases.

Old
06-27-2009, 03:29 PM
Chayos

I think people are really underestimating Hodgson here. He will be the first line center in VCR for years to come and as an oiler fan I am not looking forward to it. I would also like to point out to the Eberle fans that Hodgson was a big reason that Eberle got as many points as he did at the WJC.

Old
06-27-2009, 03:29 PM
StrictlyCommercial

I'd pick MPS and Hodgson!

Wait I can't do that?

Damn.

Old
06-27-2009, 03:31 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerfan91 View Post
Hogdson > MPS

Eberle > Schoeder

Both teams got great players that will be stars in the nhl but i give a slight edge to the canucks.

I don;t care about which pair is better, but it finally looks like the Oilers got some nice pieces to build for the future.

MPS-Gagner-Eberle

will be a killer line in 2-3 years.

Old
06-27-2009, 03:36 PM
imanania

Hodgson and Schroeder and it's not even close.

There's a reason JS was dropped, but then this draft was really messed in terms of people being drafted earlier and later than expected. Yeah JS is small(5''8 I believe), but he's very stocky and if we've learnt anything from history, small players usually have more to prove, and 5''8 guys are usually good talent(St.Louis, Gionta etc.). Hell, Ryan Ellis is almost 5''9, anyone here dare to say he's gonna turn out to be a big of a flop as there saying JS is gonna turn out to be? Ellis and Schroeder will be 2 of the best 09/10 entry draft players. I see Ellis as a 60pt offensive defenceman and Schroeder as a 70-85pt guy in the future.

Hodgson is a great player, and many people WANT to ignore the fact that he has GREAT potential. He great vision, and if not for his skating he's be picked top 3 for sure since he's in Stamkos' level in terms of skill. Skating can ALWAYS be improved on. I see a 80-90pt future for him, more if the Canucks can get him a perfect winger.

Eberle is a good player too, almost as small as Schroeder. He's definately lighhter than Schroeder. He's going to be relied upon to score goals, not set up plays. Very good pick for the Oilers. I'd put him in the 60-70pt range, maybe hitting 40 goals. If I had to choose between Schroeder or Eberle, I can't, but I like Schroeder better because he's proven he can play hockey againsr bigger guys, and so has Eberle, but I like him better because I know he knows he has somethign to prove and I like that edge.

MSP. I think this guy is going to be one of the biggest flops of this draft. He relies too much on his pace. He's intense yes, but he drives to the outside way too much, doesn't drive hard to the net, and he doesn't put up big points. He reminds me too much of Lombardi of the Coyotes. There's also apparently a problem with his natural finishing. I'd definately pick Cowan, Kazik, Schenn over him. Maybe not Glennie. Only time will tell for this guy, I just don't like him tendancy to cut outside and try to beat a defender by cutting him. He's gonna be crushed along the boards countless of times if he tries this too much in the NHL. Hope he's a injury free type guy. Was never too high on this guy. Didn't impress me at the WJ, but I like his intensity and willingness to win. If he doesn't turn out to be a top line winger, he can always be a checker like Lombardi. No shame in that, Lombardi brings plenty of speed and SH goals.

Old
06-27-2009, 03:38 PM
Diamonddog01

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahelix View Post
You Canucks fans must realize that there is a very real bust potential in drafting Schroeder, right? Having said that, Were I picking in the late teens/early 20's I certainly would have considered him because the reward is very high. The guy is very skilled. But who is to say if he can ever make it in the NHL? When was the last time a guy under 5'9 was drafted in the first round? When was the last time a guy who was 5'8 successfuly broke into the NHL? Its been a while. He has to be really stellar to make this happen. Theo Fleury and Brian Gionta are the only players smaller than him in the modern era to have any significant success. Samsonov is probably a strong comparable, but you have to admit the number of guys at this size who make it big is a really short list. Having said that, at 22 I give major kudos on the pick. However, there is no way in hell I would even consider for a milisecond trading Eberle for Schroeder.
I'm a Canucks fan and I wasn't particularly thrilled with the pick. Still disappointed Columbus traded up to pick Moore, who will be the real steal of this draft imo and would've been absolutely perfect for Vancouver.

I guess I'd take Vancouver as I think Hodgson will be the best player out of the four, with Schroeder being the worst.

Old
06-27-2009, 03:49 PM
thefifthsedin*

i would say it's not even close to be not even close to somewhere near closeness ...

and mps?, please ... it sounds like a radio navigation control board for food production how hard is it really to write paajarvi [pääjärvi] or svensson?

only time tells the answer

Old
06-27-2009, 04:07 PM
rigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifthsedin View Post
i would say it's not even close to be not even close to somewhere near closeness ...

and mps?, please ... it sounds like a radio navigation control board for food production how hard is it really to write paajarvi [pääjärvi] or svensson?

only time tells the answer
I prefer Magnus.

Old
06-27-2009, 04:13 PM
JonQuixote

I take Hodgson and Schroeder, sure. Although I try to trade Schroeder for Eberle.

I think we've got a pretty good line on what Hodgson is going to be in the NHL, and that's a pretty good player. I don't think we have that line on any of the other three. MSP, there are questions about his ability to convert his speed and tenacity into goals. Eberle, there are questions about his ability to keep his shortcomings from holding them back at the NHL level. Similar questions dog Schroeder, and we add character concerns to those. There may be questions about Hodgson's ceiling, but worst case scenario, he's likely still a 2nd line center with two-way abilities.

A bird in the hand...Hodgon's the safest pick, and he's got as much potential as anybody as well.

It's an easy choice. Maybe a couple years from now, it turns out to be the wrong one. I hope so. But it's an easy choice right now.

Old
06-27-2009, 04:17 PM
EuroTide

its gonna be interesting to look at this in some time

Old
06-27-2009, 04:18 PM
n00b1AnPr1nc355

I havent seen any number of how MSP/MPS is projected. How does he score at his peak in the NHL? I see hodgson turning into a bigger better jared stoll. Reliable but p end is 70 points

I have no idea about mps

Old
06-27-2009, 04:33 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

I would say the edmonton guys have better potential, but also a much higher bust factor. I would be very surprised if hodgson doesnt stick in the NHL, and i expect schroeder will have no problems either due to his defensive acumen.

With the edmonton guys, i dont really think either could stick as 3rd/4th liners, so if they dont reach their full potential, they may be out of the NHL 5 years from now.

Old
06-27-2009, 04:43 PM
GDU

two good years of 1st round picks for both teams to be sure anyways... will have to revisit this thread 3 years from now

Old
06-27-2009, 04:44 PM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLHammerbound View Post
He's certainly fast compared to Hodgson...prolly on a par with Schroeder, at a bare minimum
Schroeder is a great skater.

BTW anyone recall hodgson leading the U20's in points?

Old
06-27-2009, 04:54 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
I had Schroeder as a top 10 pick...definitely the Hodgson/Schroeder combo.

Closed Thread