HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

TSN: Bouwmeester's rights to CGY for Leopold and 3rd Rnd Pick

Old
06-29-2009, 05:03 PM
The Puck

vCash: 500
Eklund!!!!

The Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 05:04 PM
PensFanSince1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
yesterdays news... and the last thread was closed cause they want it all in the Bouwmeester being traded thread
That late eh?

Sorry, I'll take no offense to this being locked. I looked in the stickied thread, but didn't see it mentioned, but I thought this was recent so I didn't look to far back.

PensFanSince1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 05:05 PM
PensFanSince1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
For future consideration please put "Eklund" in the title so I know to avoid the thread in question.
lol, I planned on it, but I forgot to before I hit submit. I tried editing right after, but it doesn't allow you to edit titles.

PensFanSince1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 05:06 PM
Schenn
Dirt Road Scholar

this will never happen now because eklund reported it!

Schenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 05:11 PM
Alberta Yote
Nice run

Quote:
Originally Posted by schenn29 View Post
this will never happen now because eklund reported it!
good one!

Alberta Yote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 05:24 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
a lot.

you see agents do this all the time at this time of year. Why would he want any information released that has him having ties to Calgary - or to any one team for that matter - when you want to try and get the best offers on the market?

A lot of offers that agents get - and this is really true for most businesses out there that negotiate in a competitive market - are just "leverage" offers... if a team thinks that you're negotiating with them just to get more money on the table from that team, so you can take it to another team, you aren't going to do well getting such offers to improve your client's overall leverage.... simply put, if Vancouver or Edmonton knows that JBo wants to sign in Calgary and won't take their offers seriously (he already has a house there, is settling into the city, etc), than maybe you don't get those extra $$ or longer term from those other teams you can take back to Calgary for a better offer.

Maybe you don't get a good offer from a team you really want to go to, because they don't think you're serious enough about wanting to play there and will just take their offer to that other team.

There are other issues involved here as well... we've seen this with the Gaborik situation in Vancouver, were even today we are getting conflicting reports whether he has bought a house in Vancouver or not. The important part of this story is Gaborik's own camp actually bringing up how serious tampering is in the NHL and they need to be careful - this is just another issue why agents won't confirm such things.

They want the public to know as little as possible about their clients who are negotiating multi-million-dollar contracts in a competitive market.... and teams don't want such things getting out either, as the league has already warned teams in the past about tampering.
And if it was his agent saying that, I'd take it with a grain of salt. But Bouw's dad has to know that even a "no comment" or a deflection to ask Jay/agent is better then a flat out lie to the city he has to live in. It isn't like the Bouwmeesters aren't fairly well known around town.

But I'm done debating hypotheticals and rumours. Jay will sign where he signs. We'll all have an answer soon.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 07:16 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 50
is there any updates on the "talks" that don't have eklund anywhere spoken.

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 07:44 PM
Dogbert*

Send a message via MSN to Dogbert*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
yesterdays news... and the last thread was closed cause they want it all in the Bouwmeester being traded thread
Given the source, I'm reluctant to call it "news."

Worst-case scenario is that Jay-Bo signs elsewhere. In that case, we'll still have a little bit of cap room to work with, and we won't have given up anything major for the rights.

Dogbert* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 10:34 PM
Wyrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
Yes, Ryan Smyth to Edmonton e5!

Wyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 10:52 PM
The Jester

Is it just me or has the ridiculous "player X has/has not bought/built a house!" rumours more prominent this year? I mean the activity and response that Bouwmeester and Gaborik's potential living arrangements are getting is downright crazy. I know this is to be expected in the offseason on a hockey mad message board, but I don't ever remember living arrangements getting so much press!

The Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 10:54 PM
Saren
Multi Pass!

Please Jay... hold out for just a teensy while longer. Pretty please.

Saren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 12:57 AM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbert View Post
Given the source, I'm reluctant to call it "news."

Worst-case scenario is that Jay-Bo signs elsewhere. In that case, we'll still have a little bit of cap room to work with, and we won't have given up anything major for the rights.

Even if the flames lose out on the Jay-Bo gamble, all is not lost...they did free up some cap space over the last few days at very little expense.

I would not be shocked at all if Jay-Bo and his agent politely listen to the Flames and then stay pat until July 1st regardless of the pitch. I think he's been waiting a long time for the opportunity to test the waters now that he's out of florida, and it would take a hell of a lot to convince him otherwise...particularly if he won't make more than Phaneuf.

CanadianCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 02:25 AM
karnige
Real Life FTL

He's going to wait till july 1st to see what he can get obviously

karnige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 08:03 AM
CeskyHokej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
This is about it:

Both captain Jarome Iginla and alternate Robyn Regehr made calls to the Edmonton product before Sutter travelled north up the QEII yesterday for a face-to-face meeting with Bouwmeester and agent Bryon Baltimore.

Baltimore said another meeting will take place today in Edmonton.

"We had some discussions about the overall situation," Baltimore said last night. "I think we have a reasonable understanding of each other.

"We'll see what transpires.""

http://www.edmontonsun.com/sports/ho...77086-sun.html

CeskyHokej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 09:39 AM
madmike77

Seems odd that they are talking after Bouwmeester's agent said they wouldn't. And it sounds like they are meeting again.

Even if they don't get a deal done today it sounds like Calgary will definitely be high on Bouwmeester's final destination chart.

madmike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 09:54 AM
X8oD

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike77 View Post
Seems odd that they are talking after Bouwmeester's agent said they wouldn't. And it sounds like they are meeting again.

Even if they don't get a deal done today it sounds like Calgary will definitely be high on Bouwmeester's final destination chart.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=283298

No numbers discussed, just getting a feel of the situation.

They will submit and offer later today, however.

X8oD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 09:54 AM
OMA

Formal contract offer will be made today. I guess it's good that he hasn't dismissed Calgary outright yet... but I still think he'll go to July 1st and beyond and go from there.

OMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 10:05 AM
madmike77

I think he'll go to July 1 too, but I think the only way he goes anywhere other than Calgary is if he gets a higher offer. I don't think Calgary will give him more than $6.5 a year. Even that seems on the high side with the cap expected to go down.

If someone offered him $7 mill+ a year I think he'd jump at it. I'm just not sure anyone will be willing to do that much on a long-term deal right now given the economics.

Old
06-30-2009, 10:16 AM
OMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike77 View Post
I think he'll go to July 1 too, but I think the only way he goes anywhere other than Calgary is if he gets a higher offer. I don't think Calgary will give him more than $6.5 a year. Even that seems on the high side with the cap expected to go down.

If someone offered him $7 mill+ a year I think he'd jump at it. I'm just not sure anyone will be willing to do that much on a long-term deal right now given the economics.
I'm not sure how much of this is about the $$$ though. Everything we've heard from numerous sources has indicated that he wants to be closer to home and wants to play for a competitive team. How many teams that fit that criteria would be able to fit 7+ into their cap? The only one that I can think of is Vancouver... but that's only if they don't retain the twins. Quite frankly, I really don't think the Canucks need to be blowing 7 million on their defence when they have a far more pressing need in their top 6 forwards (just my thoughts though).

If he gets to July 1st, I'm sure he'll get offers in the neighborhood of 7.5 a year (I'm guessing that Calgary will come in just under 6.5)... but I don't think those teams that offer the higher $$ will have the intangibles that Calgary will have to offer.

On that note, were there any contract talks between him and Florida at any point? I thought I heard that the Panthers offered him a long-term, big $$ contract but he refused... i could be mistaken though.

OMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 10:35 AM
madmike77

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMA View Post
I'm not sure how much of this is about the $$$ though. Everything we've heard from numerous sources has indicated that he wants to be closer to home and wants to play for a competitive team. How many teams that fit that criteria would be able to fit 7+ into their cap? The only one that I can think of is Vancouver... but that's only if they don't retain the twins. Quite frankly, I really don't think the Canucks need to be blowing 7 million on their defence when they have a far more pressing need in their top 6 forwards (just my thoughts though).

If he gets to July 1st, I'm sure he'll get offers in the neighborhood of 7.5 a year (I'm guessing that Calgary will come in just under 6.5)... but I don't think those teams that offer the higher $$ will have the intangibles that Calgary will have to offer.

On that note, were there any contract talks between him and Florida at any point? I thought I heard that the Panthers offered him a long-term, big $$ contract but he refused... i could be mistaken though.
Sorry yeah you're right. I meant in the context of Western teams. I think he made it pretty clear he wants to play in the West.

Old
06-30-2009, 10:38 AM
Ticonderoga

Quote:
I agree I think Vancouver first priority should be signing the twins or finding suitable replacements to fill that offense. Defense should be their secondary priority, but that being said you never know Gillis might make an offer to Jbo's camp.

Quote:

Decrease Text SizeIncrease Text Size
Text Size

Jay Bouwmeester's camp met with Flames general manager Darryl Sutter on Monday. It was pretty basic and, according to source, no numbers were discussed.

The Flames, however, are expected to make their formal offer of a multi-year deal today.
The Flames expect to make an offer today.

Ticonderoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 02:01 PM
FlaPanthers7

Quote:
Yes but you'll have to go back to last summer when the Panthers offered Jay several different contract lengths. I remember for a fact there was a 3 year deal and I believe they wanted to do a 6-year deal. Bouwmeester wouldn't sign anything until he saw the direction of the club, so they agreed on a 1-year deal. Interesting now the fact comes out that he and Baltimore gave the Panthers a list of teams he'd like to be traded to 18 months ago. LOL

FlaPanthers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 03:43 PM
PecaFan

If Bouwmeester doesn't want scrutiny, he'd better not sign *anywhere* in Canada.

And half the US cities, for that matter.

I think he takes the biggest $, no matter where it is.

PecaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 03:55 PM
madmike77

Quote:
Originally Posted by PecaFan View Post
If Bouwmeester doesn't want scrutiny, he'd better not sign *anywhere* in Canada.

And half the US cities, for that matter.

I think he takes the biggest $, no matter where it is.
I don't know. He did say he wanted to play closer to home, so unless he gets lousy offers from Western teams I'd expect him to be out West.

Calgary and Vancouver would likely top the list. Edmonton I think has some cap issues unless they can move some players. San Jose and Anaheim might be in there as well but they aren't all that close to Alberta. I'd say Colorado, but I don't think he wants to go to a rebuilding team, which would also take Minnesota out of the running.

I think he winds up in either Calgary or Vancouver.