HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

TSN: Bouwmeester's rights to CGY for Leopold and 3rd Rnd Pick

Old
06-27-2009, 10:05 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilou View Post
Right on cue Canuck fans... Don't be jealous hahaha.

Good for Calgary this just adds to ther already strong defense.
I'm not jealous at all.... more curious than anything else.

First of all, JBo hasn't signed yet... so let's wait until he does before calling this some huge success for Calgary...

secondly, if he does sign, lets wait and see what Sutter does with the rest of the lineup.... it's no secret that the Flames don't have much cap flexibility, and they do need to replace some out going forwards as well... so I'm curious to see how Sutter builds the team moving forward.

but as of right now, he's not signed... and he still hit FA on July 1st.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 10:12 AM
Ronald Pagan

Flames have the cap room if Bouwmeester signs for 6.5 million or less. It'll be tight, but they have the room.

A defence of:

Phaneuf-Bouwmeester
Regehr-Sarich
Pardy-Giordano

Is in the top two in the league. There's 3 defencemen on that team that play over 24 minutes a night every game. Sarich plays 21 minutes a night. Incredible.

Ronald Pagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 10:12 AM
JBIZ14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Oil View Post
Luc, you should be more concerned about how the Canucks are going to come up with $13 million per for the twin-kies and how they are going to find $8 million plus for Luongo. Those are the issues that should be spinning around inside your head and giving you heartburn. I think its funny to see you, a fan of the team that was certain to be grabbing Boumeester's rights, are now trying to wallow in the failure of another team when they achieved what yours did not. Your bitterness is pretty transparent. I'm jealous as hell from an Oilers perspective but its okay to feel good for a rival when they do something right. Sutter just continues to make the moves and get the players he wants at a ridiculously good value. Good on him.
Gillis said on Vancouver radio 2 days ago that he would not trade picks for rights...why would any Canucks fan believe that the Canucks were a lock to get the rights to Jaybo?

JBIZ14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 10:13 AM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilou View Post
Right on cue Canuck fans... Don't be jealous hahaha.

Good for Calgary this just adds to their already strong defense.
First of all were curious, second of all you have not Signed him yet, getting "rights" to players sure helped Montreal and Minnesota last year

After you guys Sign the guy, then you can start using those comments if u wish.

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 10:13 AM
Lola
Future Panthers

This panther fan is disappointed.

Last edited by Lola: 06-27-2009 at 10:24 AM.
Lola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 10:14 AM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

Quote:
Luc, you should be more concerned about how the Canucks are going to come up with $13 million per for the twin-kies and how they are going to find $8 million plus for Luongo. Those are the issues that should be spinning around inside your head and giving you heartburn. I think its funny to see you, a fan of the team that was certain to be grabbing Boumeester's rights, are now trying to wallow in the failure of another team when they achieved what yours did not. Your bitterness is pretty transparent. I'm jealous as hell from an Oilers perspective but its okay to feel good for a rival when they do something right. Sutter just continues to make the moves and get the players he wants at a ridiculously good value. Good on him.
LMAO what?, Gillis stated he never went after him at all, and would never in his life trade for "rights" for a player.

Team1040 Interview on Thursday, go podcast it

Old
06-27-2009, 10:24 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Great deal by the flames. The worse they lose is a 3rd round pick. And if by chance they can sign him........what a steal.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 10:25 AM
nik-

As a Flames fan I'm going to wait to see if we sign him to get excited.

In terms of what we gave up, it was nothing. Rights to a player we weren't signing anyways and a pick we didn't even have at the start of yesterday.

If he signs, awesome. If not, I had zero expectations of him being here anyways.

nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 10:26 AM
madmike77

Isn't Leopold a UFA too? Seems odd. Haven't read through the whole thread though.

So basically Calgary got the rights for a 3rd round pick.

EDIT: I'm not sure how much it really means. Flames didn't really give up much. And signing him would bump them against the cap again. No doubt Bouwmeester's a good Dman, but the Flames would have around 20 mill going to 4 Dmen if they sign him.

madmike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 10:32 AM
DollarsAndSens

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike77 View Post
Isn't Leopold a UFA too? Seems odd. Haven't read through the whole thread though.

So basically Calgary got the rights for a 3rd round pick.

EDIT: I'm not sure how much it really means. Flames didn't really give up much. And signing him would bump them against the cap again. No doubt Bouwmeester's a good Dman, but the Flames would have around 20 mill going to 4 Dmen if they sign him.
Leopold is indeed a UFA. It's true that this would put the Flames very tight up against the cap, but I always believe it's better to tie up more money on the back end than any other position. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

DollarsAndSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 10:33 AM
officeglen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
Great deal by the flames. The worse they lose is a 3rd round pick. And if by chance they can sign him........what a steal.
is it confirmed that they don't have to give up anything else to the Cats if they actually sign him?

officeglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 10:33 AM
Philadelphia Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustafsson View Post
Bouwmeester
Phaneuf
Regehr

AND

Pronger
Timonen
Coburn

Flames and Flyers now boast some of the best defense in the league.
Good day to be a fan of both.

Philadelphia Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 10:34 AM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

If they get him signed it would be a good deal, I just can't see it in there cap system.

Old
06-27-2009, 10:36 AM
DBU
Gotta Go Fast

Go Sutter Go! This is awesome!

DBU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 10:37 AM
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by officeglen View Post
is it confirmed that they don't have to give up anything else to the Cats if they actually sign him?
If there were conditions attached to the deal they would have been announced with the deal at the draft.

CGYPUKSUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 10:37 AM
blankall

Capwise this can work.

As for our forwards you have to remember that although at the end of the season we had Cammy and Jokinen, that wasn't how the Flames were built for most of the season. That end of the season part didn't exactly work out so well for us either.

Jokinen was meant to be a replacement up front for Cammy. We had the bonus of both after the deadline, but like I mentioned earlier that was a flop. Futhermore, with Sutters back in control, it's going to be a more defence orientated team again.

The only thing the Flames are missing up front is Todd Bertuzzi. We can either resign Todd for cheap (2mil max) or find a replacement within the organization. We have a pool of Boyd, Glencross, Moss, or Borque to fill top 6 roles. Backlund might also be ready to play a portion of the year in the top six.

Like others have mentioned, if the Flames get desperate they can waive Primeau and replace him on the fourth line with a young guy from the farm. We have several young guys who are borderline NHL ready and could fit that position. We could also sit Vandermeer in the AHL too, or maybe even find a taker for him. Vandermeer has two years left on his contract. He is overpaid by about 400k, but I'm sure there is a young d-core who could use his grit.

Long story short, the Flames can afford to fit Bouwmeester under the cap.

blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 10:40 AM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

Quote:
According to multiple sources, even if another NHL club acquires Jay Bouwmeester’s rights, his agent is waiting until free agency to talk contract.

Sources say the Florida Panthers have been told by Bryon Baltimore, Bouwmeester’s agent, that there will be no early rights signing, as his client wants to test free agency waters on July 1.
Interesting

Old
06-27-2009, 10:41 AM
Lindros_for_rizzle_

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS wohoooooo!!!, Phaneuf, JayBo, Regehr, best defence in NHL history!!?

Lindros_for_rizzle_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 10:44 AM
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
If they get him signed it would be a good deal, I just can't see it in there cap system.
Luc, I said the same thing for years. When Iginla, Regehr, Kiprusoff and Phaneuf were all up the Flames would be screwed and not be able to resign them. Then Langkow was gone. Then there was no way for them to add Jokinen. Some how Sutter manages to make these things work. I would say that if Sutter trades for someone's rights he honestly believes he will sign him, so I wouldn't bet against that at this time.

Here's a really scary thought for some. Say the Flames do sign Bouwmeester and supposedly handicap themselves because of cap space and holes at forward. If they trade away Phaneuf they will get back all the players they need to fill those holes and be cap friendly. If Sutter we able to rally Phaneuf into a top six forward and a top four defenseman then the Flames are actually in better straights and with no cap problems.

CGYPUKSUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 10:48 AM
mattihp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindros_for_rizzle_ View Post
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS wohoooooo!!!, Phaneuf, JayBo, Regehr, best defence in NHL history!!?
Ever heard of the Boston Bruins pre-sucking era for them?

They have had Defence corps better than that quite a few seasons

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 10:51 AM
ugotmybeef*

How can they afford this.

ugotmybeef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 10:53 AM
eklunds source
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flukeshot View Post
I'm not a huge fan of the trades for future UFA's. Does Sutter really feel that Bouwmeester wouldn't go to CGY if they were the highest bidder. I guess a 3rd isn't too much for a week of exclusive negotiations. What are the odds Leopold re-signs with FLA.
Just over half a week; makes a difference. Don't forget trading for rights doesn't mean the player will sign there - anyone remember Rolston's rights going to the Lightning?

Quote:
Luc, you should be more concerned about how the Canucks are going to come up with $13 million per for the twin-kies and how they are going to find $8 million plus for Luongo.
The Canucks have 23 million in cap space. Sign the Sedins for 5.5 each takes that down to 12 million. Luongo is already making just under 7, so another 1.25 million takes him to 8 million and we still have over 10 mil in cap space. I'm not concerned, and I don't think any Canucks fan or management is.

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 11:02 AM
Buttonwood
feaster in the groin

As a Flames fan, this doesn't put Bouwmeester in a Flames jersey yet. While I feel he is a great player and somebody to build around, the contract he could potentially sign does make me uncomfortable after what happened last year, but there are different ways to make a Phaneuf-like contract work.

Hopefully, this is a first step in something great for Calgary, but we shall see. I know the trade price was certainly worth the chance, so I have no problems trading the freshly acquired 3rd.

Buttonwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 11:23 AM
Cyclops II*

I hihghly doubt he has any interest in playing for Calgary unless they outbid other teams by a fair margin. Maybe 7.5+ a season would get his attention.

Cyclops II* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 11:24 AM
Grove

Makes me very happy.

Grove is offline   Reply With Quote