Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Panthers Trade Bouwmeester's Rights To Flames

Old
06-28-2009, 01:09 PM
Grannys

vCash: 500
I really dont see us signing Cammy, and thats ok. I believe the team can dish out a solid offensive punch while they enjoy a strong defensive backing. We wont be able to sign a super star forward but we can still add a few pieces, and this could really be Backlunds year (fingers crossed). And hello people, we have Iggy and Olli on the team!!!! Those guys are more than capable of putting the puck in the net, some teams dont even have than amount of offence.

Grannys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 01:11 PM
OMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckz View Post
Haha take it for what it's worth, Eklund is reporting he's signed at a $6.3m cap hit, but remember the source. Length undetermined at this time, but at 6.3, if true, it's gotta be 6 or 7 years I would think... Any shorter and I think you'd see that number go up.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...is-63M/1/21818
I know you're just reporting what Eklund is claiming... but I'm thinking its far more likely that he looked at what Aucoin and Vandermeer make (6.3 million) and put two and two together.

I seriously doubt he's signed already.

OMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 01:15 PM
Puckz

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMA View Post
I know you're just reporting what Eklund is claiming... but I'm thinking its far more likely that he looked at what Aucoin and Vandermeer make (6.3 million) and put two and two together.

I seriously doubt he's signed already.
Ehhh I dunno, you're making the assumption that Eklund can add and I think that's far less likely than him actually hearing one of his famous "rumours"!

Puckz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 01:55 PM
Lunatik*

wasn't Eklund the first to report we were looking at Bouwmeester?... and didn't Eklund say were had been interested in Jokinen for a long time?... well newsflash we traded for Bouwmeesters rights and Sutter confirmed he had been trying to get Jokinen for along time... seems to me like he may be a little more reliable when it comes to Flames/Panthers talk than people give him credit for

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 02:00 PM
chriss_co

signing bouwmeester is a good thing for this team.. in terms of offensive production, the flames are going back to the hardnosed gritty team that forechecks and scores dirty goals rather than the pretty ones we were getting accustomed to from tanguay, huselius and bertuzzi

however, i think this will work out well because our defense will have 2 solid offensive defenseman who will be contributing to the offense for the lost skill upfront

with brent sutter as coach, the team is going to employ a high octane pressure style offense... you'll get gritty boardwork and hardnosed forechecking to create turnovers and keep the pressure in deep... the focus will be getting the puck to the net and getting rebounds or tips.. having phaneuf and bouwmeester blasting pucks on net or just wristing them for tips will be key... you dont need $5 million star players to tip pucks into the net or bang a rebound in as long as you can effectively get the puck on net from the point

i think you can expect the flames to no longer lead the NHL in scoring but i think if brent gets this group playing to his philosophy, we'll be scoring at an above average pace and hopefully our defense comes through and we'll be near the bottom of the league in goals against.. that will mean a winning formula and possibly make us cup contenders

chriss_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 02:14 PM
kruezer

Does anybody here see Nystrom moving up the roster a bit? He was outstanding in the playoffs, maybe a little more offensive responsibility wouldn't be the worst thing?

kruezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 02:30 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruezer View Post
Does anybody here see Nystrom moving up the roster a bit? He was outstanding in the playoffs, maybe a little more offensive responsibility wouldn't be the worst thing?
it has crossed my mind especially if the Flames don't sign someone to fill that top 6 whole... i see things like this...

Jokinen replaces Cammalleri... we lose maybe 10 goals tops (but probably get some back from Iginla)

Moss replaces Bertuzzi in top 6... he won't be as effective as a playmaker but he will score more goals than Bertuzzi

that leaves someone to replace Conroy (and to a lesser extent Lombardi) in the top 6... this IMO can be done by either Boyd or Glencross... my first thought is Boyd but I think Glencross is stronger on his feet and would fair better against better defensemen... but then again Boyd has the edge when it comes to pure skill... but I could see either of those guys putting up 15 goals and 40 points in a 2nd line role... maybe more for Glencross since he put up 40 points in a 3rd line role... so I would try him out...

Conroy obviously moves down to the 3rd line spot he and Lombardi shared... it also seems logical to me that one of Boyd or Glencross stays on the 3rd as well... i'll say Boyd since I picked Glencross for the 2nd line ... so why not try Nystrom on the 3rd line? he saw spot duty on our top line in the playoffs... we could easily see a lineup like this IMO...

Bourque - Jokinen - Iginla <--- like it or not folks I'm pretty sure you will see Jokinen with Iginla
Glencross - Langkow - Moss <--- Glencross and Moss played well together on the 3rd line last season
Nystrom - Conroy - Boyd <--- Nystrom and Boyd looked really good at times last season
Prust - Primeau - Sutter/Van der Gulik <--- if this happens we need to keep Primeau or sign a veteran UFA...

but I think if Bertuzzi is not re-signed that Lundmark will... I see him getting a shot with Langkow and Moss... however I wouldn't be shocked to see Nystrom with spot duty in the top 6 in tight games

Old
06-28-2009, 02:45 PM
Puckz

From my number crunching, this is assuming we get Boyd re-signed at $1.2 million and Bouwmeester is at $6.3 million, fair numbers I believe (yes I know Bouwmeester isn't confirmed)...

We would have $2.345 million left with a full roster (12 forwards, 6 defencemen and the two tenders).

We obviously could use that money to get a 13th forward and/or 7th defenceman, but I was wondering... it may not be popular with some, but if we can move Primeau's salary at $1.4 that would leave us with $3.745 in cap space... Say we can re-sign Bertuzzi for $2 million roughly, and then still have the $1.7 left over, it's not a horrible place to be in and I would feel at least a little more comfortable with our forwards. If we keep Primeau and everyone else, I would assume we won't be doing anything in Free Agency and our roster is more or less set for now.

We could also go after someone in the 3 million dollar range but that's going to make things tight. It's also been mentioned that at some point you need to give your younger players an opportunity, resigning Bertuzzi or another vet may not allow for it, but just some ideas.

Puckz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 05:27 PM
forzanerazzurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
wasn't Eklund the first to report we were looking at Bouwmeester?... and didn't Eklund say were had been interested in Jokinen for a long time?... well newsflash we traded for Bouwmeesters rights and Sutter confirmed he had been trying to get Jokinen for along time... seems to me like he may be a little more reliable when it comes to Flames/Panthers talk than people give him credit for
LOL yeah and on draft day, Eklund had Jbo going and signed with Vancouver 90% done. Eklund is a fraud and is no more accurate (actually usually less accurate) than the everday loser on this board.

forzanerazzurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 05:59 PM
Jared Ramsden
Hockey's Future Staff

Send a message via AIM to Jared Ramsden Send a message via MSN to Jared Ramsden Send a message via Yahoo to Jared Ramsden
With Cammy and Bertuzzi out the door, I really, really hope Boyd finally gets a chance to play in the Top 6. He's got more skill than the likes of Moss or Glencross and would be a better fit than one of those two guys on the second line, where as Moss or Glencross would be better off on the third line, or both of them there with Conroy, which was pretty effective last season. I think the Flames will sign a FA winger, maybe a guy that can flip flop between the 2nd and 3rd line.

2011-12: The start of a new making the playoffs streak!

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/CalDevil3219
Jared Ramsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 06:26 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Ramsden View Post
With Cammy and Bertuzzi out the door, I really, really hope Boyd finally gets a chance to play in the Top 6. He's got more skill than the likes of Moss or Glencross and would be a better fit than one of those two guys on the second line, where as Moss or Glencross would be better off on the third line, or both of them there with Conroy, which was pretty effective last season. I think the Flames will sign a FA winger, maybe a guy that can flip flop between the 2nd and 3rd line.
it also needs to be someone with a low pricetag... maybe even someone that was with the team in the past? Sutter seems to like guys he knows..

perhaps they give Dean McAmmond a call again for round 3 as a Flame??... I would classify him a 3rd liner at this point in his career but he can still skate and has had previous chemistry with Conroy...

or maybe just bring back Lundmark??... he scored 8 goals and 16 points in just 27 games for the Flames last season... as well as putting up his best minor league season ever too...

and for the 4th line if we move Primeau... how about Scott Nichol??... he has proven himself to be a 10 goal scorer and a pretty good faceoff man

Old
06-28-2009, 06:43 PM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
Quote:
It is time for a guy like Boyd to step up and I think he does that this season. He did really well with Brent (albeit a very small sample size) at the WJ's and is a guy that has the skill to put the puck in the net. I really think he can do well if given a good chance in the top 6.

flamesfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 07:04 PM
Qubax

Jay's gonna want 7...and we can afford it if we give Primeau the Eriksson/Warrener treatment....

2009-2010 Calgary Flames
FORWARDS
Jarome Iginla $7,000,000
Olli Jokinen $5,250,000
Daymond Langkow $4,500,000
Rene Bourque $1,350,000
David Moss $1,300,000
Mikael Backlund $1,270,833
Curtis Glencross $1,200,000
* Dustin Boyd $1,100,000
Craig Conroy $1,050,000
* Kris Chucko $1,000,050
Eric Nystrom $687,500
Brandon Prust $500,000
David Van Der Gulik $487,500
DEFENSEMEN
* Jay Bouwmeester $7,000,000
Dion Phaneuf $6,500,000
Robyn Regehr $4,020,000
Cory Sarich $3,600,000
Mark Giordano $891,666
Matt Pelech $850,000
* Adam Pardy $750,000
GOALTENDERS
Miikka Kiprusoff $5,833,333
Curtis McElhinney $535,000

ROSTER SIZE 22
SALARY CAP $56,800,000
PAYROLL $56,675,882
BONUS MONEY (ESTIMATED) (0.7% of cap) $425,000
CAP ROOM $124,118
CAP ROOM PER OPEN SPOT $124,118

Estimated Lines of

Bourque Langkow Iginla
Backlund Jokinen Moss
Glencross Conroy Boyd
Nystrom VanDergulik Prust
Chuck

Bouwmeester Regehr
Phaneuf Sarich
Giordano Pardy
Pelech

Qubax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 07:36 PM
bam09

Hey Lunatik, do you have Backlund out of the Flames lineup next year for cap reasons, because he's not ready, or because there is no spot for him to play centre in the top 6?

bam09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 08:12 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bam09 View Post
Hey Lunatik, do you have Backlund out of the Flames lineup next year for cap reasons, because he's not ready, or because there is no spot for him to play centre in the top 6?
mostly the 2nd and 3rd options there... I think he is ready to play in the NHL... I just do not think he is ready to play a top 6 role in the NHL... if Langkow or Conroy were to move to the wing and both play on the 2nd line... I would strongly consider Backlund for the #3 center spot

Old
06-28-2009, 09:16 PM
scoringmachine

Quote:
it's not just tough it's damn near impossible
You are right we cannot sign both but one could dream

scoringmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 09:42 PM
Pacem

Quote:
it has crossed my mind especially if the Flames don't sign someone to fill that top 6 whole... i see things like this...

Jokinen replaces Cammalleri... we lose maybe 10 goals tops (but probably get some back from Iginla)

Moss replaces Bertuzzi in top 6... he won't be as effective as a playmaker but he will score more goals than Bertuzzi

that leaves someone to replace Conroy (and to a lesser extent Lombardi) in the top 6... this IMO can be done by either Boyd or Glencross... my first thought is Boyd but I think Glencross is stronger on his feet and would fair better against better defensemen... but then again Boyd has the edge when it comes to pure skill... but I could see either of those guys putting up 15 goals and 40 points in a 2nd line role... maybe more for Glencross since he put up 40 points in a 3rd line role... so I would try him out...

Conroy obviously moves down to the 3rd line spot he and Lombardi shared... it also seems logical to me that one of Boyd or Glencross stays on the 3rd as well... i'll say Boyd since I picked Glencross for the 2nd line ... so why not try Nystrom on the 3rd line? he saw spot duty on our top line in the playoffs... we could easily see a lineup like this IMO...

Bourque - Jokinen - Iginla <--- like it or not folks I'm pretty sure you will see Jokinen with Iginla
Glencross - Langkow - Moss <--- Glencross and Moss played well together on the 3rd line last season
Nystrom - Conroy - Boyd <--- Nystrom and Boyd looked really good at times last season
Prust - Primeau - Sutter/Van der Gulik <--- if this happens we need to keep Primeau or sign a veteran UFA...

but I think if Bertuzzi is not re-signed that Lundmark will... I see him getting a shot with Langkow and Moss... however I wouldn't be shocked to see Nystrom with spot duty in the top 6 in tight games
This.

I think it will be Moss, Glencross, Boyd, and Nystrom battling for the final 2 top 6 spots. Lundmark as a long shot, I think he could be resigned. I wasn't a big fan of our top 6 going into last season, but it worked out well. I thought Conroy was too old as a #2, thought that Lombardi wouldn't work out again. I love Lombo but it was frustrating watching him. Never broke out here and I hope he continues to do well in Phoenix. Wasn't sold on Bourque last year either. Having a back end that should move the puck well out of the D-zone should make it easier on the forwards to score.

Hopefully we will have more youth on the bottom 6 with Sutter/Van der Gulik or any others that manage to crack the line up. If we have younger guys in the top 6 I think Primeau should be kept. He could be a cap casualty if Bouwmeester's hit is too high. Having Primeau and Conroy centering the last 2 lines is a big bonus.

Pacem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 09:51 PM
Grannys

Right now I dont remember but has there been any cases in the last few season of a team acquiring the rights to negotiation with a player but then that player signed somewhere else? How common is that?

Grannys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 10:28 PM
Feel The Heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by outerone View Post
Right now I dont remember but has there been any cases in the last few season of a team acquiring the rights to negotiation with a player but then that player signed somewhere else? How common is that?
I was thinking the same thing.

Feel The Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 10:44 PM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
Quote:
Originally Posted by outerone View Post
Did Montreal trade a pick for Sundin last year? Can't recall if they did or not. Definetly remember the rumour I just can't remember if it actually happened.

Before the lockout it happened quite a bit. Example was Cujo to Calgary the year he left the Leafs and signed on with Detroit. Can't think of any recent examples.

flamesfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 10:48 PM
Phaneufed
Thrashers Fly 4ever

I know Malone and Roberts rights went to Tampa and they both signed, same with Reinprecht just a few days ago in Florida.

I think Rolston's rights went to Tampa but he decided to sign with NJ, but that's the only recent example I can think of. More often than not, the players sign with the team that acquires their rights.

edit: Nothing to do with this post but according to the Herald, Sutter and JBo are going to meet each other tommorow in Edmonton.

Last edited by Phaneufed: 06-29-2009 at 01:46 AM.
Phaneufed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 03:45 AM
Snoil11

Send a message via ICQ to Snoil11 Send a message via Yahoo to Snoil11
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan12 View Post
Did Montreal trade a pick for Sundin last year? Can't recall if they did or not. Definetly remember the rumour I just can't remember if it actually happened.
The Leafs granted the Canadiens exclusive permission to talk to Sundin, but I can't find anything about compensation.

An TSN article from last year:
Quote:
"We have given Montreal the exclusive rights to talk to him up until 12 noon on July 1 when he becomes a free agent," said Leafs GM Cliff Fletcher. "I have nothing to say about it at all. That's the only thing I'll say. It's not in my best interest to say anything else, it's not in Montreal's best interest and not in Mats' best interest."

The Leafs would have to trade Sundin's negotiating rights to the Canadiens to facilitate an early signing. Montreal general manager Bob Gainey spoke with Sundin on Thursday and it's expected Gainey will continue discussions with Barry on Saturday.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=2412...s=topStory_nhl

Snoil11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 09:53 AM
bam09

I think Montreal had to give a third or something if Sundin signed with them. But I can't remember it too well.

bam09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 10:55 AM
madmike77

Quote:
Originally Posted by bam09 View Post
I think Montreal had to give a third or something if Sundin signed with them. But I can't remember it too well.
Yes the pick was conditional on Sundin signing. Since he didn't sign, Montreal didn't have to give up the pick.

madmike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 05:41 PM
indigosurf

Quote:
Petr Sykora maybe? he only played a few games in the playoffs, but still had a 25 goal season.

Personally I would love if our Top 6 looked something like this:

Bourque - Jokinen - Iginla
Sykora/Glencross - Langkow - Moss/Boyd

Plus, with Sykora's scoring ability, he could log some occasional 1st line minutes, too.

indigosurf is offline   Reply With Quote