HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sabres Draft Day

Old
06-26-2009, 07:05 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

vCash: 500
Awards:
Sabres Draft Day

Thoughts on their overall selections here now that the draft thread has gotten up to the 1000 post limit.

I enjoyed what they did with this draft. When they focus on something... they focus on something. It will be interesting to see if the skill level they took is enough -- these kids still have room for growth, certainly -- but they are definitely a tough bunch.

McNabb in the third surprised me a bit, given the lack of scoring talent in the amateur ranks. Granted, with their predisposition toward defensemen over the last few years, old habits die hard.

Evaluations the day after aren't worth a damn, but the impression of this draft as a philosophical shift in the front office is pleasing to long-suffering Sabre fans. It'll be interesting to see if it plays out at the pro level with further moves for both the Sabres and Pirates.

Last edited by Chainshot: 06-28-2009 at 08:39 AM.
Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 08:57 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
I had intended this to be used for the selections and selection talk -- guess I wasn't clear.

Old
06-27-2009, 07:11 PM
Rammstein816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
I had intended this to be used for the selections and selection talk -- guess I wasn't clear.
Maybe you can switch it to a poll grading the Sabres draft overall or pick-by-pick?

Rammstein816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 07:28 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

*stretches*....

It's so roomy in here.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 08:24 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Here are my takes:

Kassian - Love the pick. Only time will tell about the offensive upside. But, I love the Sabres getting a guy that is described as the toughest guy in the draft.

McNabb - I like this pick as outside of Weber, they don't have a lot of blueliners that will drop the mitts.

Foligno - I got a smile seeing Buffalo M. Foligno on the draft board. Another guy with size and grit to his game. Add in the deep ties to the Sabres and it brought a smile to my face when I found out.

Adams - Seems to be a bit of a wildcard pick. Let's see what he does next year in Chicago.

Knapp - The Sabres like to take a goalie a year and Knapp was a nice pick here. Although, it's too bad that Janus went a couple picks higher.....

Legault - He's a 7th rounder, so we'll just have to wait and see......

All in all, I like the fact that they went all North American and the smallest guy was a HS kid that is already 6'1" 187. And if you weigh Legault after a big dinner, all the forwards are 6'2"+ and 200+.

The lack of help up the middle is a concern. But, I do like the emphasis on size, toughness, and hard work.

It was a hard hat draft and there is nothing wrong with that given what the Sabres already have in spades.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 08:52 AM
Tra La La

Meh

They are looking at big holes at center, about the time these picks should mature. I tend to think grit is easier to get, then talent.

Tra La La is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 09:32 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
Meh

They are looking at big holes at center, about the time these picks should mature. I tend to think grit is easier to get, then talent.
Honestly, they're looking at holes at center now, let alone in 2-3 years.

Old
06-28-2009, 09:40 AM
Ruckus007
Said too much

I don't have a problem with any of the players they went with, though Kassian wouldn't be the guy I took at 13th (I have no problem with Kassian as they player). From the 2nd round last year through now, the draft picks have tilted towards the direction of the '06-ish Flyers. I hope it's just a correction for the direction they went in 2005-2007 and that the future drafts have a better balance of size, skill and grit.

Ruckus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 10:24 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
Meh

Kassian is that rare mix of grit and talent that is hard to come by.

He was the only real "tough guy" forward with 1st round talent this year and I'm glad they snapped him up.

I think the center needs can be filled via trades as I think they'll have an abundance of defensemen. And D are easier to move than small, skilled forwards.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 11:21 AM
Fan-of-#9

I'm most happy with the Kassian and Foligno picks. Both players are guys I wanted heading into the draft.

Fan-of-#9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 12:30 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

I was torn about Foligno when I read about it, but knowing that he'll be moving to pivot makes me like the pick a whole lot more.

Old
06-28-2009, 02:08 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

The thing is, you listen to these kids talk - specifically BZK, Foligno, and McNabb - and it's tough not to get excited.

All of them are self-proclaimed physical players, who all proclaim they always skate hard, stick up for teammates, hit, and forecheck hard in the case of Foligno and BZK.

I am very happy. I really am.

jBuds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 03:28 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

And which of our players should be expecting WJC invites? I saw Knapp will be trying out for the US squad...

Old
06-28-2009, 04:16 PM
Jeremy2020

I like the draft. I really have to disagree with it being a "Philosopical Shift" though. The Sabres picked up small, speedy, talented when that was the way the league was going. Now that thing are getting more physical, they're going that route.

I think the Sabres Philosophy has remained the same. No big superstars, not overpaying, developing from within, etc, etc

It's just that it takes different players to win at different times so now they're getting those players.

Jeremy2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 06:20 PM
Old Navy Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
And which of our players should be expecting WJC invites? I saw Knapp will be trying out for the US squad...
Kassian has already been invited to the camp, whether he makes the squad is questionable.

Old Navy Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 06:26 PM
aceface33

I like this draft and let's face it, this is a huge shift in philosophy for Regier who never drafted size or toughness for years and years. Together with the guys in the system we should have a good mix in 2-3 years, assuming that they acquire some centers through trading away, say, defensive depth.

The problem is that while we're going to have a good mix of guys in 2-3 years, right now the team is small and soft. I bet management will be excited enough about the guys in the system that they will not do much and just wait for the young guys to mature. That means it's going to be a loooong 2-3 years. I mean I'm excited about the guys in the pipeline too but this is going to end up being an incredibly sucky 4 years if they don't do something about the team as it stands.

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 07:21 PM
Moon Man*

This years draft was great, though too light at centre.

It's almost as if Regier & Co. look at their pressing needs, decide upon their most vital need, then go all in on shoring up one facet of the franchise while letting the rest wait for another day.

I'm just glad to see some size and dirt put in the mix after a few years of watching the team stock up on diminutive and feisty firecrackers.

Moon Man* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 10:41 AM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post

Evaluations the day after aren't worth a damn, but the impression of this draft as a philosophical shift in the front office is pleasing to long-suffering Sabre fans. It'll be interesting to see if it plays out at the pro level with further moves for both the Sabres and Pirates.
This shift in philosophy has Larry Quinn's fingerprints all over it. I think he demanded it when the decision was made to retain Regier and Ruff. To refresh your memories:

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/...ff-regier.html
Quote:
He (Quinn) wanted to know if Ruff and Regier could admit to their share of mistakes on a team that has gone from the Presidentsí Trophy to two long offseasons.

It appears Quinn found the answers he sought. Ruff and Regier will return to their roles next season, as Sabres ownership announced today it has faith in professional sportsí longest-tenured coach and GM combination.

"We know them real well," Quinn said in a phone call with The News. "The issues that we had were not about their abilities. We wanted to see if they had the energy, the vision, if they could still keep it fresh, if they could honestly look at what went wrong, if we get people to look at it and go along for the ride."

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 12:48 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Larry Quinn = THIS

Old
06-30-2009, 09:11 AM
zero39

I'm not sure why everyone feels so good about this draft. It looks to me like they drafted a clone of Brad May first and then a lot of marginal players. This has the potential to be a draft that doesn't produce any NHL players. It was purely reactive - the organization has been criticized for all of the small, soft players, so they decided to shut up the critics by drafting some tough guys. So what exactly is the organization's philosophy when it comes to putting together a Stanley Cup contender? I don't think that they have one. It looks to me like the same organization, trying to grab the last playoff spot every year.

zero39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 09:38 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero39 View Post
I'm not sure why everyone feels so good about this draft. It looks to me like they drafted a clone of Brad May first and then a lot of marginal players. This has the potential to be a draft that doesn't produce any NHL players. It was purely reactive - the organization has been criticized for all of the small, soft players, so they decided to shut up the critics by drafting some tough guys. So what exactly is the organization's philosophy when it comes to putting together a Stanley Cup contender? I don't think that they have one. It looks to me like the same organization, trying to grab the last playoff spot every year.
A) You need grit in the system

B) Kassian had a first round grade and was considered top-20 across the board. The fact that he fills a need for us is a bonus. It was a smart pick, and Brad May has played in the NHL for a long ****ing time.

Frankly, I'm getting sick of people looking to *****, whine, and complain about any and everything pertaining to the team. We may finally be doing some of the right things, yet there are still some complainers.

Overall, the majority of the fan base is ecstatic with this draft.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
06-30-2009, 03:16 PM
Ruff for President

Great job Darcy. It was the best you can do with what you got. Love the fact we draft out of the CHL and US college. Can't go wrong with Canadian kids. Darcy learned his lesson after drafting Persson in 06. I'm alittle disappointed we didn't draft a #1 centreman, its definately #1 priority next year. No need to worry about drafting goalie when you got Miller, Enroth, Eidsness!

Ruff for President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 03:29 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1664
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeGiftingMan View Post
Larry Quinn = THIS
Yeah, I hate the way the Sabres have become so much like a political organization. It's like avoiding blame or getting credit is more important than just doing the right thing. Even Kevin Devine is in CYA mode:

Quote:
http://www.buffalonews.com/489/story/716865.html
"Zack is a big, tough guy, and we've been looking for a guy like him for the last three, four years," said Kevin Devine, the Sabres' director of amateur scouting. "There always seemed to be baggage with some of these other kids that we liked, but Zack, all roads led to him in the first round."
I'm sure any one of us could go through past drafts and find big, tough, aggressive players without baggage that the Sabres passed on.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 03:59 PM
Old Navy Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero39 View Post
Maybe you never saw Brad May play before he destroyed his shoulder...before the injury he was developing in a very effective power forward that refused to back down from anyone. He was an important cog for Mogilny and LaFontaine in that he provided space and freedom for them to do their thing while having enough skill to produce effectively. I'm sure that 99% of the kids that were drafted would be ecstatic if they could play in over 1000 NHL games.

Old Navy Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 04:05 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

There's another interesting trend in this draft.

In the last two drafts, Regier has picked exactly zero European players.

New Sabres Captain is online now   Reply With Quote