HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

109th overall selection - Alexander Avtsin

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-27-2009, 11:25 PM
  #101
montreal
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Sark
Posts: 23,670
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post
This Timmins guy is speaking nonesense. Avtsin played in Pervaya Liga....2 levels behind KHL.
A mistake on his part. I don't know how much scouting he does in Russia (I know he was over there at least once this year) but I am sure he knows that Dynamo-2 is in the junior league.

Wow did he rip it up though, damn 110 pts. I remember when the Habs drafted Perezhogin who put up 47 goals in his draft year in the junior league. The Habs have not had good luck with their Russian picks to date, but their scout in Russia, Nikolai Vakourov appears to have a very good eye for players. Grabovski, Korneev, Perezhogin, A.Kostitsyn, Emelin, Valentenko, Trunev. I know he pushed hard for Valentenko and Emelin has had back to back tough years, but that's not a bad list of picks, it's jusd too bad the Habs haven't gotten more out of it. Of course if Trunev and Avtsin come over and do well I think many Hab fans will no longer complain about Perezhogin/Valentenko/Emelin.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 11:37 PM
  #102
Freaky Habs Fan
Registered User
 
Freaky Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: New-Brunswick
Posts: 9,505
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
A question for those who know the CBA better than i do.

Can a European prospect play in the AHL before he reaches 20 years old? If so i'd like him to start playing in our system as soon as possible and not waste time in Russia.
Yes they can...no problem at all...

Nikita Filatov and Vyacheslav Voynov both were 18 last year and both were drafted in the CHL import draft, but never report because they went straight away in the AHL.

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 11:49 PM
  #103
Freaky Habs Fan
Registered User
 
Freaky Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: New-Brunswick
Posts: 9,505
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
A mistake on his part. I don't know how much scouting he does in Russia (I know he was over there at least once this year) but I am sure he knows that Dynamo-2 is in the junior league.

Wow did he rip it up though, damn 110 pts. I remember when the Habs drafted Perezhogin who put up 47 goals in his draft year in the junior league. The Habs have not had good luck with their Russian picks to date, but their scout in Russia, Nikolai Vakourov appears to have a very good eye for players. Grabovski, Korneev, Perezhogin, A.Kostitsyn, Emelin, Valentenko, Trunev. I know he pushed hard for Valentenko and Emelin has had back to back tough years, but that's not a bad list of picks, it's jusd too bad the Habs haven't gotten more out of it. Of course if Trunev and Avtsin come over and do well I think many Hab fans will no longer complain about Perezhogin/Valentenko/Emelin.
Russians are now investments...you'll win some and you'll lose some. The thing is when you'll win, you'll hit hard...that's why it might be worth taking the risk.

With the Russians invasion of next year (it's going to be like Sweden this year), we can expect to draft at least one more a year from now...sometime, we'll make a home run.

I also believe that it's good to have Ovechkin and Malkin in the league. They can be model and young Russians might want to come over to at least give it a shot and follow the footsteps of those two superstars...

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 12:03 AM
  #104
znk
Registered User
 
znk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,119
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
Russians are now investments...you'll win some and you'll lose some. The thing is when you'll win, you'll hit hard...that's why it might be worth taking the risk.

With the Russians invasion of next year (it's going to be like Sweden this year), we can expect to draft at least one more a year from now...sometime, we'll make a home run.

I also believe that it's good to have Ovechkin and Malkin in the league. They can be model and young Russians might want to come over to at least give it a shot and follow the footsteps of those two superstars...
That's why we'll trade for Kovalchuck.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 12:05 AM
  #105
keepcalmandbeninja
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,094
vCash: 500
Alessandro thanks for the full bio...I can not afford the 9.99...love the site though...as soon as I am working full time I will sign up...

Quote:
I remember when he said that grabovsky would make the same immediate impact than Datsyuk when he would come in the league.
Yes, Timmins raves about his draft picks a la Pierre McGuire and his MONSTERS...and Carey Price...love fests...

However Grabovski had/has some sick@SS potential... question marks..or rather flaws on his professionalism and sportsmanship has reduced his over all potential..

keepcalmandbeninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 12:08 AM
  #106
montreal
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Sark
Posts: 23,670
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
Russians are now investments...you'll win some and you'll lose some. The thing is when you'll win, you'll hit hard...that's why it might be worth taking the risk.

With the Russians invasion of next year (it's going to be like Sweden this year), we can expect to draft at least one more a year from now...sometime, we'll make a home run.

I also believe that it's good to have Ovechkin and Malkin in the league. They can be model and young Russians might want to come over to at least give it a shot and follow the footsteps of those two superstars...
I would say I follow the Russians more then most, I love the skill level they have in general so I'm all for drafting Russians as a fan, cause they can be very exciting to watch. But at the same time, we have not had good luck with our Russian picks so far, so it's a big risk to take them. Then again we have a large number of interesting prospects in our system, so I am all for taking some big chances with mid round picks on what could be steals if we ever got them over here and were able to keep them here.

We have the depth in our prospect pool to take a chance on a guy like Avtsin or Trunev, so in that regard I don't have a problem with it. If it pays off great, if not, oh well but at the same time, you hate to throw away any picks. Next year we have only 5 picks, so they will need to chose wisely. Other teams seem to have better success at getting their Russians to come over so I don't know what they are doing that's working for them that Gainey and Timmins aren't doing.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 12:25 AM
  #107
Mathletic
Registered User
 
Mathletic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: St-Augustin, Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,230
vCash: 500
I love that pick, I was in the Avtsin bandwagon a while ago

Mathletic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 12:26 AM
  #108
#57
Registered User
 
#57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,882
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessandro Seren Rosso View Post
Different players. And I'm not a fan of comparisons, players are uniques for me. But Avtsin is truly an awesome skater with excellent hands. He's a typical Russian player, but with size. He has to improve in using it, though.
Well that sounds like A.Kostitsyn...

#57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 12:29 AM
  #109
Freaky Habs Fan
Registered User
 
Freaky Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: New-Brunswick
Posts: 9,505
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I would say I follow the Russians more then most, I love the skill level they have in general so I'm all for drafting Russians as a fan, cause they can be very exciting to watch. But at the same time, we have not had good luck with our Russian picks so far, so it's a big risk to take them. Then again we have a large number of interesting prospects in our system, so I am all for taking some big chances with mid round picks on what could be steals if we ever got them over here and were able to keep them here.

We have the depth in our prospect pool to take a chance on a guy like Avtsin or Trunev, so in that regard I don't have a problem with it. If it pays off great, if not, oh well but at the same time, you hate to throw away any picks. Next year we have only 5 picks, so they will need to chose wisely. Other teams seem to have better success at getting their Russians to come over so I don't know what they are doing that's working for them that Gainey and Timmins aren't doing.
I don't think it's that bad...I mean, Perezhogin and Valentenko came for a while, Alex was home sick (most likely because he had trouble integrating himself to the NA culture) and Pavel went back for family reasons.

Korneev was probably never meant to come over. He was a long shot to come here since day one. In the 9th round, it was a good gamble....really nothing to lose.

Emelin is the only one who once said he wanted to come over but never made it happen.

We'll have to wait for Trunev and Avtsin, but they both seems to be on their way over here in a year from now. It would be great to have both of them in Hamilton at the same time. Life would be better for them...

All in all, we with both Kostitsyns here and Grabovski still in the NHL, I don't think our record with Russians is that bad when you take a deep look at the situation...

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 12:59 AM
  #110
montreal
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Sark
Posts: 23,670
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
I don't think it's that bad...I mean, Perezhogin and Valentenko came for a while, Alex was home sick (most likely because he had trouble integrating himself to the NA culture) and Pavel went back for family reasons.

Korneev was probably never meant to come over. He was a long shot to come here since day one. In the 9th round, it was a good gamble....really nothing to lose.

Emelin is the only one who once said he wanted to come over but never made it happen.

We'll have to wait for Trunev and Avtsin, but they both seems to be on their way over here in a year from now. It would be great to have both of them in Hamilton at the same time. Life would be better for them...

All in all, we with both Kostitsyns here and Grabovski still in the NHL, I don't think our record with Russians is that bad when you take a deep look at the situation...
Perezhogin was a 1st rounder, so that hurts, I thought he could have been a very solid 2nd liner for us in time, so losing him for nothing sucks imo. Valentenko left for the money, he got a big offer back home, it's too bad cause he impressed me in his rookie year with the dogs, plus he was a LD but now I doubt we will ever see him again. Then you add Emelin who got fans attention at the wjc's, I really thought we would see him over here next year, would have been interesting to see. I really liked Grabovski a lot too, didn't know he was such a jackass but was a fun player to watch.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 01:00 AM
  #111
NWT Habs Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,046
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
Russians are now investments...you'll win some and you'll lose some. The thing is when you'll win, you'll hit hard...that's why it might be worth taking the risk.

With the Russians invasion of next year (it's going to be like Sweden this year), we can expect to draft at least one more a year from now...sometime, we'll make a home run.

I also believe that it's good to have Ovechkin and Malkin in the league. They can be model and young Russians might want to come over to at least give it a shot and follow the footsteps of those two superstars...
Next year's draft will be very interesting. That is one talented pool of Russian forwards. Teams will have to do their homework in finding out what kids are even thinking of coming over and there likely will be some really talented guys dropping far lower than they should because so many teams will still be very nervous or will just simply stay away and draft safer picks.

NWT Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 01:01 AM
  #112
znk
Registered User
 
znk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,119
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #57 View Post
Well that sounds like A.Kostitsyn...
where do you see a 56 goal 110 points season?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrei_Kostitsyn

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 01:05 AM
  #113
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh
 
Burlington Bomb 26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Green Mountain State
Country: United States
Posts: 16,615
vCash: 500
You guys should trade him to the Rangers for the 4th rounder we drafted.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 01:07 AM
  #114
JHabs
HFB Partner
 
JHabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,358
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to JHabs
The difference between AK and Avtsin is that Avtsin has delivered the goods in Russia already, and has shown he has what it takes. And he has hair. AK is lacking all of this. Especially hair. He had 1 good year, and he has to follow it up with another one.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 01:07 AM
  #115
Slick Nick
Registered User
 
Slick Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montréal
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 4,712
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
I don't think it's that bad...I mean, Perezhogin and Valentenko came for a while, Alex was home sick (most likely because he had trouble integrating himself to the NA culture) and Pavel went back for family reasons.

Korneev was probably never meant to come over. He was a long shot to come here since day one. In the 9th round, it was a good gamble....really nothing to lose.

Emelin is the only one who once said he wanted to come over but never made it happen.

We'll have to wait for Trunev and Avtsin, but they both seems to be on their way over here in a year from now. It would be great to have both of them in Hamilton at the same time. Life would be better for them...

All in all, we with both Kostitsyns here and Grabovski still in the NHL, I don't think our record with Russians is that bad when you take a deep look at the situation...

I'm pretty sure Perezhogin left because he felt he was dropping in the depth chart and would never have the chance to crack the top 6. At that time, Lats, Higgins and Andrei (not mentionning the veterans) were ahead of him if judge by icetime and opportunities... he had a choice to make between 3rd or 4th line, or 1st line in the RSL/KHL. In all of the interviews he gave when he left he never closed the door to coming back and the decision seemed made on hockey criterias first. He also said recently he liked playing here and would listen if offers were on the table.

I would go the same way with Valentenko.... he had a great season in Hamilton and really was motivated to play in NA. But he got something like 2 pre-season games while O'byrne had 4 or 5... Subban and Weber had more games too... made him think he's 9th or 10th on the chart. It must be very depressing for a young kid, specially when you know you can get similar hockey level back home with a huge salary increase..

Andrei K threatened to go back in Russia the year he was called up too...

The Habs should be more carefull with their russian draftees in the future. I'm not saying the should give them Latendresse like privileges (joke), but at least give them something.. get them on the NHL dope... Pre-season games, for god's sake.... call them up and give them 3 minutes of ice time, PP time if the team is winning. Get them addicted to the NHL instead of killing their hopes.

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 01:14 AM
  #116
#57
Registered User
 
#57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,882
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
where do you see a 56 goal 110 points season?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrei_Kostitsyn
Can't really compare them on stats...

#57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 02:11 AM
  #117
shamrun
Registered User
 
shamrun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessandro Seren Rosso View Post
Dynamo has a STACKED lineup. As far as now I'd say no.

i dont know if this was answered, but im wondering if this prospect could crack the line of the national team. (U20). Id like to see him and trunev together...

shamrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 02:47 AM
  #118
Artyukhin*
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,831
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
You guys should trade him to the Rangers for the 4th rounder we drafted.
you guys would have to give us John Tavares

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 03:11 AM
  #119
Alessandro Seren Rosso
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Alessandro Seren Rosso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Europe
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 4,491
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Alessandro Seren Rosso Send a message via MSN to Alessandro Seren Rosso
Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
where do you see a 56 goal 110 points season?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrei_Kostitsyn
I don't want to play down Avtsin, but these numbers means jack. I mean, 110 points are good of course, and he holds the record for Dynamo-2, but the level is too low to make it worth of serious consideration for a NHL career.

__________________
Алексей Черепанов навсегда в наших сердцах
Alessandro Seren Rosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 03:14 AM
  #120
Alessandro Seren Rosso
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Alessandro Seren Rosso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Europe
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 4,491
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Alessandro Seren Rosso Send a message via MSN to Alessandro Seren Rosso
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrun View Post
i dont know if this was answered, but im wondering if this prospect could crack the line of the national team. (U20). Id like to see him and trunev together...
I'm not sure about this. But not because he's got no talent or he's not good enough, but because Plyuschev (now he's the coach of the WJC team) tends to go with "his" players and he wasn't among them. Trunev might get a chance if he keeps on playing regularly in the KHL, but Avtsin could too. A lot can change from now to December.

Alessandro Seren Rosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 03:18 AM
  #121
Alessandro Seren Rosso
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Alessandro Seren Rosso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Europe
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 4,491
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Alessandro Seren Rosso Send a message via MSN to Alessandro Seren Rosso
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACCIDENT View Post
I didn't even notice the penalty minutes, it sounds by the points and the PIM he plays a NA style of game, obviously I haven't seen him play, you seem to be very good though with the russian prospects maybe you could tell me. Does he play a good two way game, or strictly offensive? and does he maybe play a bit like a NA player might, just going by the penalty minutes or does he just have a bad temper? Are the Alexander Ovechkin comparisons fair, (obviously not an ovechkin in the fourth round, but even a poor-mans ovechkin.)?
No. Usually in such leagues the players who play more gets more PIMs, more hooking, more grabbing, etc. They play a lot and thus it's tiring and being tired leads to more PIMs. He's not a dirty player and doesn't have a bad temper at all.
Regarding his two-way game: he had not to show it yet. I think he might have some potential in this aspect of the game, but I won't expect a Lehtinen-type of player.

Alessandro Seren Rosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 08:18 AM
  #122
Alessandro Seren Rosso
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Alessandro Seren Rosso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Europe
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 4,491
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Alessandro Seren Rosso Send a message via MSN to Alessandro Seren Rosso
from www.russianprospects.com

Quote:
"I try to play with power methods, rapidly and rigidly. I don't hold myself. I really want to be like Ovechkin. So far my biggest problem is the puck control, I have to work on that. I was picked by a strong team with a rich tradition. It's a good thing that on Montreal there are other Russians. This will accelerate my adaptation process once I'll move to North America. I plan doing that in one year."

Alessandro Seren Rosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 08:32 AM
  #123
kent_carlson
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 763
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessandro Seren Rosso View Post
Different players. And I'm not a fan of comparisons, players are uniques for me. But Avtsin is truly an awesome skater with excellent hands. He's a typical Russian player, but with size. He has to improve in using it, though.
Well, that's enough to justify the gamble ... I would like to see a short video of the guy however ...

kent_carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 08:41 AM
  #124
GaineysRightHandMan
Registered User
 
GaineysRightHandMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 585
vCash: 500
TSN ranked 61. picked 109. I like it.

GaineysRightHandMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 09:11 AM
  #125
Sam I Am
Registered User
 
Sam I Am's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,395
vCash: 500
Want better "luck" with our Russians? How about having them learn English before they cross the pond?

Do they not teach English as a second language in Russia? A Berlitz course?

It seems to me that our Russian prospects too often show up in Montreal without a work of English. All communication must be made through a veteran player who takes the recruit under his wing. Imagine how much this adds to the sense of alienation and loneliness a young player must feel.

Avtsin has a full year to hit the books. Let's not make the same mistake again and again and again.

Sam I Am is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:03 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.