HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

5th round, 128th overall: Leafs select Eric Knodel

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-27-2009, 11:34 AM
  #101
Stephen
Registered User
 
Stephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 31,052
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabs View Post
1st round talent who went in the 5th and passed over by more teams than just the Leafs. So what do you know about him that 30 teams scouting teams don't?
So when Stefanovich fell to the 5th round he wasn't a first round talent anymore?

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 11:34 AM
  #102
BillyWilliams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 180
vCash: 500
HERE COMES OUR 6TH ROUNDER!!!!

prediction: 6'10 250

BillyWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 11:35 AM
  #103
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,905
vCash: 500
I've worked with 3 Triple A Midget teams in my career. It's quite possible the kid has never been coached, and just allowed to do what he wants, and because of his size he gets away with it.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 11:35 AM
  #104
Madic
Registered User
 
Madic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,539
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopProspect91 View Post
So what he's in AAA? YOU'VE never seen him play. You've probably never seen ANY of these kids! I'm not saying I have, but you just keep whining and complaining about everything like you know each and every prospect in this draft.

Reality check bud: You don't. Now sit back, relax, and go search up our picks on Youtube to make you feel like you know something. K?
Reality check: you like to trust blindly, others don't. There is a ying to your yang; criticizing picks based on size alone is fine. If you don't like it, how about you go do your own relaxing?

I think it's hilarious that you don't find it amusing that he plays AAA hockey and was drafted. If players in highschool hockey are questioned because of their competition level, what do you think being in AAA hockey means?

Madic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 11:35 AM
  #105
All_blueandwhite
Registered User
 
All_blueandwhite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,837
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bankerguy View Post
You said "they" like 3 times. "They"...meaning the media, know crap too.In all seriousness, how old are you?


oh **** my grammer was off

All_blueandwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 11:35 AM
  #106
timlap
Registered User
 
timlap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario
Posts: 7,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madic View Post
Yes, because everyone must agree with taking players in the lowest level of hockey POSSIBLE, who evidently (according to, you know, scouting reports?) doesn't use his 6'6 size to any effect.

Point being, there are players available who produce in decent leagues. Decent numbers, at that. Players who are known for a reason...call a 6'6 lumbering player "high reward" all you want, doesn't make it so. People simply like to call a player with height "high reward", as if there's loads of super tall players in the NHL who came about the same way.
The point is, Madic, whoever you draft in the 5th round is going to have serious flaws in his game. No matter who the Leafs pick it would be possible to say, this is pick is stupid because (insert flaws here). That's the nature of the NHL draft. Late round "gems" are guys who have serious flaws that they somehow overcome in the years after they are drafted.

timlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 11:36 AM
  #107
Stephen
Registered User
 
Stephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 31,052
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlMo View Post
He's low risk? I don't think so
Safest pick since John Doherty.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 11:36 AM
  #108
The Messenger
Registered User
 
The Messenger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,972
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
So when Stefanovich fell to the 5th round he wasn't a first round talent anymore?
Quite obviously NO.

The Messenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 11:36 AM
  #109
grabo84
Registered User
 
grabo84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Atlantic Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,448
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyWilliams View Post
HERE COMES OUR 6TH ROUNDER!!!!

prediction: 6'10 250
God, I hope so.

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 11:36 AM
  #110
Stephen
Registered User
 
Stephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 31,052
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post
Quite obviously NO.
Funny how's he's a top Leaf prospect now...

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 11:38 AM
  #111
TheLeastOfTheBunch
Registered User
 
TheLeastOfTheBunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 31,435
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
So when Stefanovich fell to the 5th round he wasn't a first round talent anymore?
Stefanovich was considered to be a top 15 type talent , but due to his "character" issues (IE he is lazy , inconsistent) he fell all the way to the 4th/5th round .

Rajala is considered to be a top 20 talent , but has the buildup of a 12 year old girl .

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 11:38 AM
  #112
TasteLikeBurning
The Tank Cometh
 
TasteLikeBurning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,243
vCash: 500
5'11 lol. If he was only an inch taller would have been taken much earlier.

TasteLikeBurning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 11:38 AM
  #113
NoamHemsky
Registered User
 
NoamHemsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,895
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by think-blue- View Post
think he's going to get a spike in traffic?

NoamHemsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 11:39 AM
  #114
All_blueandwhite
Registered User
 
All_blueandwhite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,837
vCash: 500
did burke just take someone who actually has skill?

All_blueandwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 11:39 AM
  #115
Oprah*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Windy City
Posts: 68
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by All_blueandwhite View Post


oh **** my grammer was off
I'm not critizing your grammar.

I'm trying to point out that by saying "they" you mean the media. Think for yourself, don't rely on the media as they don't know crap either. You just assume well I haven't heard of the player-so he must suck.

Oh one other thing-BURKE takes the scouts opinions as to who should be taken.
If you don't like the picks ***** about the Scouts. Burke has some input, but likely hasn't seen the majority of the guys after say Round 3.

Seriously though, How old are you? I bet you are under 20.

Oprah* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 11:39 AM
  #116
Courage*
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 6,390
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Funny how's he's a top Leaf prospect now...
Funny how he seems to be improving on the flaws that kept him out of the first round. That's the difference between first rounders and lesser lights - the number and/or severity of perceived flaws.

Courage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 11:39 AM
  #117
The Messenger
Registered User
 
The Messenger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,972
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Funny how's he's a top Leaf prospect now...
Don't understand your point, Knobel may very well be our top prosect in two years, who knows?

The Messenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 11:39 AM
  #118
TheLeastOfTheBunch
Registered User
 
TheLeastOfTheBunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 31,435
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by timlap View Post
The point is, Madic, whoever you draft in the 5th round is going to have serious flaws in his game. No matter who the Leafs pick it would be possible to say, this is pick is stupid because (insert flaws here). That's the nature of the NHL draft. Late round "gems" are guys who have serious flaws that they somehow overcome in the years after they are drafted.
Nicely said !

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 11:40 AM
  #119
Madic
Registered User
 
Madic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,539
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by timlap View Post
The point is, Madic, whoever you draft in the 5th round is going to have serious flaws in his game. No matter who the Leafs pick it would be possible to say, this is pick is stupid because (insert flaws here). That's the nature of the NHL draft. Late round "gems" are guys who have serious flaws that they somehow overcome in the years after they are drafted.
Who's asking for a gem? I'm not bashing the pick because it's "high risk"; I don't think there's a risk at all. He plays a pathetically low level of hockey for his age and doesn't impress overly there either, according to reports.

Bubnick, for example, produces at a high level of competition. So though he has flaws, he still plays a large part on his team at a high level.

Madic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 11:41 AM
  #120
NoamHemsky
Registered User
 
NoamHemsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,895
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quik View Post
Unless Gustavsson is a sure thing, this pick makes absolutely zero sense, and even if he is, it still doesn't make sense. Oliver Roy is a 1st round talent, no way he should still be on the board.

And of course, as I type this, Edmonton goes and takes him. Lowe's probably pissing his pants laughing at Burke right now.
The two have nothing to do with each other.

NoamHemsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 11:41 AM
  #121
Oprah*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Windy City
Posts: 68
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynrehab View Post
I've worked with 3 Triple A Midget teams in my career. It's quite possible the kid has never been coached, and just allowed to do what he wants, and because of his size he gets away with it.
Stop being positive and suggesting other possibilities. This is the thread where we complain about EVERYTHING.

Oprah* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 11:42 AM
  #122
timlap
Registered User
 
timlap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario
Posts: 7,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesium View Post
Is it really griefing and abuse if the best part of a player's scouting report is "can make a pass now and then"? Sounds like the complaints about this selection are 100% justified given that scouting report.
Show me one late rounder who doesn't have huge flaws. There's a reason why all these guys are on the board. Professional scouts and GMs often say that in the late rounds you are looking for a guy who has just one quality that could translate to the NHL level and you hope the rest comes around as he matures. They're all longshots.

I don't mind people disagreeing with pick in principle, but many people are disagreeing with picks when they haven't even heard of the player. At that point I think they should clue in to the fact that their knowledge base is not sufficient to make a judgment. Just my opinion..

timlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 11:45 AM
  #123
NoamHemsky
Registered User
 
NoamHemsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,895
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipeshow View Post
I agree.

Tampa is having a great draft too, Hedman, Ashton, Panik.
Colorado has had a strong day as well, IMO.

NoamHemsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 11:47 AM
  #124
Schenn Him
Registered User
 
Schenn Him's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,500
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoamHemsky View Post
think he's going to get a spike in traffic?
His profile views went up 30 in about 10 minutes.

Schenn Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 11:48 AM
  #125
NoamHemsky
Registered User
 
NoamHemsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,895
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by embracedbias View Post
They have been one of the worst drafting teams over the past ten or so years. People here think that they are genius' for going for the highest ranked players.

Is it like this every year on draft day? My god...
unfortunately, yes.

"The Leafs didn't acquire the players that I compiled form my hockey draft mags!. Fire Burke!"

Boo, ****ing hoo...

NoamHemsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:04 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.