HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Dreger: Kings to pursue Sedin twins?

Old
06-29-2009, 09:55 AM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

vCash: 500
Dreger: Kings to pursue Sedin twins?

http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/darren_dreger/?id=283179

I didn't realize both had 80+ points this past season. Now that would be a nice 1-2 punch to have. They're gonna get a boatload of cash from someone, and we could afford it.

Thoughts?

Beauty, eh? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 10:02 AM
jimmy1100
HFBoards Sponsor

Just say, "NO" to aliens...

In all seriousness, they would be good additions, but I'd prefer other options. I don't want to sign both and I don't think they'd be as good without each other.

jimmy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 10:09 AM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
No Thanks

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 10:18 AM
Face Wash

Dreger's bored and apparently we fans know more about the Kings' intentions than he does (and he's supposed to be some kinda "insider"). Anyone who's spent anytime listening to DL knows without asking that, that's exactly who he doesn't want!

They're not identical twins, they're Siamese; and because of that, (and to loosely quote the great Ice-T) they're Cap Killers!

Unless DL has already decided to trade Frolov,because he certainly won't be able to extend him if he does this. The fact still remains, thst while the Kings future looks GREAT... they're are VERY LIGHT at Left wing and need Frolov and another LW (preferably as young as possible or signed long term already) before anyone should consider this team a Conference contender.

You can't play guys out of position as consistently as they did last season before it comes back to haunt them, which it did (read: Dustin Brown)

Last edited by Face Wash: 06-29-2009 at 10:42 AM.
Face Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 10:39 AM
Omni Owl

I would think they'd be looking for a long term deal. I could see them going to Toronto or staying in Vancourver.

Omni Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 10:56 AM
DeeMeck

vCash: 50
We have the cap space obviously...I predict we sign the Sedin's, Hossa, Gaborik, Knuble, Buowmeester, and Komisarek...with just enough roon to trade for Heatley and VL...

Do it Dean.

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 11:01 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Pure speculation, he is just throwing the Kings into the mix because they happen to have cap space. I would say DL doesn't even think to call their agent come free agency...

"I think part of his game is hes over aggressive at times, which I like. Well tame that. Id rather tame a lion than paint stripes on the kitty cat." - Dean Lombardi discussing Brayden McNabb
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 11:25 AM
johnjm22

Quote:
The Canucks did not table a counter proposal to the Sedin's recent 12-year, $63 million dollar pitch, and sources say Gillis gave no indication a counter offer is coming.
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=283055

No one is going to sign multiple players to 12 year deals. Certainly not DL.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 11:37 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=283055

No one is going to sign multiple players to 12 year deals. Certainly not DL.
Precisely, I don't know what these guys are smoking. I can't envision a scenario where they get the deal they want... Some team would have to be desperate and give away a bunch of players. It could happen, but if I were the Sedins I wouldn't hold my breath... If they want to continue to play together they will knock those deals down to $5 million a piece and aim for like 5-6 and lower deals... Otherwise, they need to split up if they want those contracts.

Old
06-29-2009, 11:39 AM
DaAnimal

i just threw up in my mouth

DaAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 11:58 AM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

The 12 year deal is of course, ridiculous but aside from that they are very good players and they are in their prime. What's not to like?

Beauty, eh? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 12:03 PM
Winger23

at this point I won't mind any top line players that would provide an upgrade. As of right now, if DL gets shut out in free agency this team still isn't going anywhere.

Hossa would be a perfect fit, and if that falls through the twins would not be a bad choice at all if DL can get the number of years down to a resonable amount.

Winger23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 12:07 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty, eh? View Post
The 12 year deal is of course, ridiculous but aside from that they are very good players and they are in their prime. What's not to like?
$14 million instantly tied up in two players at a time that are unmovable. Once you make the deal, it is done until the contracts end... Moving the Sedins would be an impossible challenge. So whichever team signs them is handcuffed for the entire duration of their contracts and has $14 million taken out of their cap also for the duration... Signing one of them for $7 million @ like 5 years or something is one thing... But signing both of them for $14 million + for 10+ years is suicide. Not even Vancouver wants them for that much, and that is probably the only team willing to mortgage everything to keep them.

I mean seriously... Even LA, who currently has the biggest capspace available could barely pull the deal off... Scraping every possible cent we can only manage $16,985,000 in cap space including our bonus cushion. The Sedins have to get a clue... Granted, after July 1st that changes... But still, I don't see many teams inflicting those deals on their franchise. I would be surprised if they went without reducing those sentences...

Old
06-29-2009, 12:11 PM
theone17

Send a message via AIM to theone17
yes please you could put in Armstrong and he'll have a 20 goal year playing with them two lmaooooo

Sedin Sedin Frolov
Brown Kopitar Williams
Simmions Zues Purcell
4th line who cares

theone17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 12:13 PM
OldGreatWestern

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone17 View Post
yes please you could put in Armstrong and he'll have a 20 goal year playing with them two lmaooooo

Sedin Sedin Frolov
Brown Kopitar Williams
Simmions Zues Purcell
4th line who cares
Frolov - Kopitar - Williams
Sedin - Sedin - Brown
Zues - Stoll - Simmonds

OldGreatWestern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 12:13 PM
theone17

I think they will sign for 6 mil/yr just to stay together. There not gonna sign for 7mil. And expect to be on a contending team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
$14 million instantly tied up in two players at a time that are unmovable. Once you make the deal, it is done until the contracts end... Moving the Sedins would be an impossible challenge. So whichever team signs them is handcuffed for the entire duration of their contracts and has $14 million taken out of their cap also for the duration... Signing one of them for $7 million @ like 5 years or something is one thing... But signing both of them for $14 million + for 10+ years is suicide. Not even Vancouver wants them for that much, and that is probably the only team willing to mortgage everything to keep them.

I mean seriously... Even LA, who currently has the biggest capspace available could barely pull the deal off... Scraping every possible cent we can only manage $16,985,000 in cap space including our bonus cushion. The Sedins have to get a clue... Granted, after July 1st that changes... But still, I don't see many teams inflicting those deals on their franchise. I would be surprised if they went without reducing those sentences...

Old
06-29-2009, 12:14 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

If we were crazy enough to sign them, it would be to a 1 year deal max playoffs or bust holiday special... If AEG showed that kind of leap-of-faith commitment I would be floored...

Old
06-29-2009, 12:15 PM
theone17

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGreatWestern View Post
Frolov - Kopitar - Williams
Sedin - Sedin - Brown
Zues - Stoll - Simmonds
honestly TM can mix and match up anyway he wants and still have a great team on the ice

Old
06-29-2009, 12:15 PM
Kingler

Who the heck are we not after? Hossa, Gaborik, Sedins, Ohlund...

Gaborik-Kopitar-Frolov
Sedin-Sedin-Hossa
Brown-Stoll-Williams
Simmonds-Handzus-Moller/Purcell

Ohlund-Doughty
Greene-Johnson
O'Donnell-Quincey

Quick/Ersberg

Then our cap exploded. At this rate, it would be really disappointing at this point if we sign no one comes July 2nd...

Kingler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 12:21 PM
tantrum4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post

Well they aren't asking for $7 million each. They want $5.25 each for 12 years. Oviously the term is too long, put the price is definatley right....

tantrum4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 12:30 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantrum4 View Post
Well they aren't asking for $7 million each. They want $5.25 each for 12 years. Oviously the term is too long, put the price is definatley right....
Didn't know that, everything I have read suggests $7 million, but if that were true it would be a bit more tolerable, but as you said the term is ridiculous. If they knocked it down to 6 years they would have a lot of offers.

Old
06-29-2009, 10:39 PM
theone17

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone17 View Post

Sedin Sedin Frolov
Brown Kopitar Williams
Simmions Zues Purcell
4th line who cares
i forgot Stoll LOL

Old
06-30-2009, 12:00 AM
MollerManor

Suddenly everyone gets picky. I don't care who we get, just get someone who fills our needs and allows me to see a friggin' playoff game for a change.

Last edited by MollerManor: 06-30-2009 at 02:36 AM.
MollerManor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 01:27 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingler View Post
Who the heck are we not after? Hossa, Gaborik, Sedins, Ohlund...

Gaborik-Kopitar-Frolov
Sedin-Sedin-Hossa
Brown-Stoll-Williams
Simmonds-Handzus-Moller/Purcell

Ohlund-Doughty
Greene-Johnson
O'Donnell-Quincey

Quick/Ersberg

Then our cap exploded. At this rate, it would be really disappointing at this point if we sign no one comes July 2nd...
You forgot Havlat and Bouwmeester.. OH and Komisarek!

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 09:09 AM
not tellin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollerManor View Post
Suddenly everyone gets picky. I don't care who we get, just get someone who fills our needs and allows me to see a friggin' playoff game for a change.
i can't wait for free agency to be over so we can hear the complaints about why we did or didn't get this player or that one.

not tellin* is offline   Reply With Quote