HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Rivet may be ready by camp

Old
07-30-2010, 02:21 PM
joshjull

vCash: 500
Rivet may be ready by camp

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sa...ticle85329.ece

Quote:
Regier added that Rivet, the Sabres' 35-year-old defenseman coming off shoulder surgery, almost certainly will be ready for the season opener Oct. 8 in Ottawa.

Rivet had surgery in late May to repair a double labrum tear that has dogged him since 2008. Regier said at the time he was hopeful Rivet could be ready come October, although there were fears recovery could be six months.

Asked for a progress report Thursday, Regier said Rivet's rehabilitation is going better than expected.

"Craig is actually moving along very good," Regier said in HSBC Arena. "I talked to [head trainer Tim Macre] today and he's on or ahead of schedule. So it looks good for him.

"I expect him to be ready to participate in training camp and then I think the question will be how physically active he can become off the start of camp. But certainly we expect him to be ready for the start of the season."

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 02:35 PM
The Real

The guy has been a huge disappointment since he got here. I'm hoping it was based upon injury and that he has a turn around year.

The Real is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 02:47 PM
liquid swords
bring the ruckus

i don't think he has been a disappointment. he has offered leadership on the backend (what is the average age of our blueline outside of rivet? 24? will be even more important this season), and he cares more about winning than drinking. the sabres need more players like him. he'd put himself through the wall to win.

liquid swords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 03:49 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid swords View Post
i don't think he has been a disappointment. he has offered leadership on the backend (what is the average age of our blueline outside of rivet? 24? will be even more important this season), and he cares more about winning than drinking. the sabres need more players like him. he'd put himself through the wall to win.
If one goes strictly by his locker room quotes to the media, yes - but what he's shown on the ice has been the opposite.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 03:51 PM
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
If one goes strictly by his locker room quotes to the media, yes - but what he's shown on the ice has been the opposite.
The guy has played through a hell of an injury. For two years. Surely that counts for something.

Tim Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 04:27 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregor7777 View Post
The guy has played through a hell of an injury. For two years. Surely that counts for something.
The injury excuse can defend the lack of strength and skating mobility but we've seen many instances in the past where older defensemen whose physical abilities have deteriorated compensate with their experience and sense of anticipation on positioning. Numminen extended his career to age 40 by doing exactly that. Plain and simple, Rivet's focus and concentration on the ice was erratic IMO - he was far too often the victim of being caught out of position, either because he'd chase players behind the net or double-team an opponent against the boards with his partner, leaving the other side unguarded.

I can accept that, at age 35, Rivet isn't the player he used to be physically, healthy or not - but I certainly expect him to use his 14 years of experience and show better smarts on the ice.

Old
07-30-2010, 04:35 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
The injury excuse can defend the lack of strength and skating mobility but we've seen many instances in the past where older defensemen whose physical abilities have deteriorated compensate with their experience and sense of anticipation on positioning. Numminen extended his career to age 40 by doing exactly that. Plain and simple, Rivet's focus and concentration on the ice was erratic IMO - he was far too often the victim of being caught out of position, either because he'd chase players behind the net or double-team an opponent against the boards with his partner, leaving the other side unguarded.

I can accept that, at age 35, Rivet isn't the player he used to be physically, healthy or not - but I certainly expect him to use his 14 years of experience and show better smarts on the ice.
Spot on. It was infuriating the amount of times that he would be caught out of position leaving his partner out to dry or leaving the opposite side of the ice wide open for the opposition. Hopefully he can get his head in gear and can improve his play because we'll almost certainly need it with our current defense

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 04:42 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

I wonder where the folks who were convinced he would miss half the season are now...

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 05:00 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
I wonder where the folks who were convinced he would miss half the season are now...
Let's remember that more than once Rivet has returned to action from past injuries earlier than he admitted, in hindsight, that he should have - so Regier's optimism about a quicker recovery should be taken with some caution. It's a given that it takes longer to heal the older one gets.

I'd rather see the Sabres take a "Connolly" approach and test Rivet repeatedly to make sure there's no doubt whatsoever that he's 100% when he finally does step on the ice. As the team captain, I would think Rivet also would want to eliminate any possible excuses for further poor play and come back when he truly can help the team most.

Old
07-30-2010, 08:52 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
We'll have to see how effective he is if he's on the ice ahead of schedule. I'd rather they make sure he's completely sound before allowing him on-ice action. But that seems to be his mentality -- play through some pain, regardless.

07-31-2010, 01:02 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
We'll have to see how effective he is if he's on the ice ahead of schedule. I'd rather they make sure he's completely sound before allowing him on-ice action. But that seems to be his mentality -- play through some pain, regardless.
If so, he has the wrong idea of what a true captain is. He may think there's nobility in portraying the tough warrior, wounds and all, that goes to battle to help his team but the basic reality is that his skills have eroded to the point where, if he's not 100% healthy, he's hurting his team more than helping it. That certainly was true last season, if not the one before it too.

Old
07-31-2010, 09:24 PM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
I was hoping he'd miss half the season. G-d. I can't believe we are paying $3.5 million for an over-the-hill slowpoke who takes dumb leadership.
Leadership? You lead by example on the ice. He's a 5 or 6 d-man at best. I can'r believe he'll probably get PP time again this year.

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 09:53 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogtownSabresfan View Post
I was hoping he'd miss half the season. G-d. I can't believe we are paying $3.5 million for an over-the-hill slowpoke who takes dumb leadership.
Leadership? You lead by example on the ice. He's a 5 or 6 d-man at best. I can'r believe he'll probably get PP time again this year.
They were nearly paying $7 million a season for a slowing, ineffective third line/30-point center. They can count their blessings on that one...

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2010, 10:53 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
They were nearly paying $7 million a season for a slowing, ineffective third line/30-point center. They can count their blessings on that one...
I actually had to think of this for about 10 seconds

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 01:15 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Of course, no one can ever know for sure but I seriously doubt that Drury would have been "ineffective" in preventing the Sabres from missing the playoffs twice and mailing in a subpar first-round effort in the 3 years since his departure.

Is he a $7M player or # 1 center? No - but let's cut him some slack for last season's aberrational 32-point showing. He's been in the 20-goal, 50-to-60-point neighborhood in 9 of his 11 NHL seasons. And I believe that, although the NHL rules after the lockout benefited him more than the rules do in today's league, Drury fit better into the Sabres' system than any other team he's been on.

Old
08-01-2010, 08:45 AM
punkr0x

Rivet was great his first year, he came in, won the captaincy and played a tough physical game that none of our other defensemen had. He was terrible this past year but you can't say he's been ineffective his entire time here.

punkr0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 10:37 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogtownSabresfan View Post
Like playing with one arm and still taking on the likes of Carcillo and Lucic.

He certainly had a tough year but lets not act as if there wasn't a reason for it. I'm not suggesting he will be "awesome" this year but I can't believe he wont be better with two healthy shoulders.

Last edited by joshjull: 08-01-2010 at 10:44 AM.
joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 10:58 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkr0x View Post
Rivet was great his first year, he came in, won the captaincy and played a tough physical game that none of our other defensemen had. He was terrible this past year but you can't say he's been ineffective his entire time here.
It seems like Rivet climbed to the mountaintop in just his first training camp as a Sabre, when he not only brought a breath of fresh air to the lockerroom but moreso caught everyone's attention with a big-time scrap in defense of a teammate during the first preseason game against the Leafs. He got voted as captain shortly thereafter and everything about him seems to have gone downhill from there, for whatever reason....

Frankly, along with being 100% healthy and recapturing his mental focus that I described above, I'd like to see the Sabres be bold enough to swap the "C" over to Grier - it'd take a lot of pressure off Rivet that he doesn't seem really suited to handling anymore and make the team's hardest worker (Grier) the real role model to follow.

Old
08-01-2010, 05:44 PM
Dreakon

Quote:
I'd like to see the Sabres be bold enough to swap the "C" over to Grier - it'd take a lot of pressure off Rivet that he doesn't seem really suited to handling anymore and make the team's hardest worker (Grier) the real role model to follow.
Give it to Kaleta.

I'm convinced this surgery will help Rivet. The people who say they wish he's never play another game don't realize how much this particular injury was holding him back, it was like playing with one arm. With that in the back of your head, I think your more inclined to hold yourself back and yeah, even make bad decisions from time to time. If he comes out full bore and truly feels 100%, we'll see the grizzled veteran we expected back. That's my impression anyways.

I was on board with saying he should've just stayed off the ice and gave Weber his due shot if he was injured earlier in the offseason. But the more I thought about it, the guy still brought it pretty well (sitting a chirping Ference on his ass in the playoffs, fighting Lucic (a freakin beast) and Carcillo) and considering his injury, you have to realize the guy would run head first through a brick wall for the team.

That's a guy I want somewhere on my team. Assuming he's really 100%, I expect this season will be a monster compared to the last two.

Last edited by Dreakon: 08-01-2010 at 05:54 PM.
Dreakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 06:03 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakon View Post
Give it to Kaleta.

I'm convinced this surgery will help Rivet. The people who say they wish he's never play another game don't realize how much this particular injury was holding him back, it was like playing with one arm. With that in the back of your head, I think your more inclined to hold yourself back and yeah, even make bad decisions from time to time. If he comes out full bore and truly feels 100%, we'll see the grizzled veteran we expected back. That's my impression anyways.

I was on board with saying he should've just stayed off the ice and gave Weber his due shot if he was injured earlier in the offseason. But the more I thought about it, the guy still brought it pretty well (sitting a chirping Ference on his ass in the playoffs, fighting Lucic (a freakin beast) and Carcillo) and considering his injury, you have to realize the guy would run head first through a brick wall for the team.

That's a guy I want somewhere on my team. Assuming he's really 100%, I expect this season will be a monster compared to the last two.
Him being 100% though might not be really true. Recovery means he essentially has lost this offseason in terms of conditioning and so forth. What that ends up as we don't know--perhaps he gets hurt later in the season or just wears down, but I don't think we'll quite see him at 100%.

Having said that, even a banged up Rivet is a better option than, say, an AHLer like Gragnani.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 10:31 PM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkr0x View Post
Great? For about a month! I liked the deal when it happened but he is long past his best before date. If he was making $1-million per year and was playing 60 games as a 6,7 man. Okay. But top 4 time, PP time and our captain?
Rivet is a joke at this point. Moderately fast forwards turn the corner on him all the time because he's so slow. When he's going for the puck, I feel like I'm watching in slow motion.
He can fight? Who cares. His toughness is highly overrated. His dumb penalties kills us often.
Without Myers, Sabres D would have been ugly last year.
Tallinder/Lydman being replaced by one UFA does not bode well.

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 11:07 PM
funkymag77

So is Rivet the new whipping boy?

I'm not really getting the hate, sure he was pretty awful last season (so were a lot of defensemen at times). He's still probably our toughest guy on the ice, and he's a good leader for the locker room. Looking forward to hopefully a injury free season him,so we can see the player we all enjoyed parts of his first season here.

funkymag77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2010, 09:11 AM
Dreakon

Quote:
Him being 100% though might not be really true. Recovery means he essentially has lost this offseason in terms of conditioning and so forth. What that ends up as we don't know--perhaps he gets hurt later in the season or just wears down, but I don't think we'll quite see him at 100%.

Having said that, even a banged up Rivet is a better option than, say, an AHLer like Gragnani.
Well, when I say 100% I mean mentally as well as physically. With two fully functioning arms and nothing to do but pick up some pieces of the last two seasons, I'm confident we'll see noticable improvement in his game and a bit of his tenacity back. Even if it takes a month or two for his body to get back into "playing" condition.

Old
08-02-2010, 09:46 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Give it to Kaleta.
In terms of heart and soul and a role model for work ethic, I'd happily let him take over once Grier retires - but the dilemma is that he doesn't get enough minutes on the ice, something a captain usually does. Maybe Ruff will elevate his role with time...who knows?

Quote:
I'm convinced this surgery will help Rivet. The people who say they wish he's never play another game don't realize how much this particular injury was holding him back, it was like playing with one arm.
You're pinning all of Rivet's poor performance solely on a physical injury, which is only half the story IMO - a lot of Rivet's on-ice problems came from poor positioning and mental decisions. Even if he comes back 100% healthy with all his strength back, he still has to eliminate the frequent mental mistakes he made a habit of. As the oldest skater on the roster, having a smarter Rivet show up this fall is even more critical than having a healthy one.

Old
08-02-2010, 03:47 PM
Dreakon

Quote:
You're pinning all of Rivet's poor performance solely on a physical injury, which is only half the story IMO - a lot of Rivet's on-ice problems came from poor positioning and mental decisions. Even if he comes back 100% healthy with all his strength back, he still has to eliminate the frequent mental mistakes he made a habit of. As the oldest skater on the roster, having a smarter Rivet show up this fall is even more critical than having a healthy one.
Guess we have to agree to disagree then.

I don't think it's all pinned on the physical injury, but honestly I think it was a huge part of it. I have to think injuries... especially ones that could severely limit his mobility (skating is more than your legs) and his ability to dive right into situations... could effect his decision-making, absolutely.

Not to say injury free that he's the greatest defenseman of all time, incapable of making mistakes. Very few in this league get that title... but this season is the time for him to show up. He'll be truly healthy for the first time in a while, he'll have 2 years of subpar play to make up for and a C stitched on his jersey (unless they move it). Whether he does have his body and mind into the game this season is impossible to tell now, but I'm optimistic. That's all.