HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Brian Boyle (LAK) traded to NYR for 3rd 2010

Old
06-27-2009, 12:28 PM
Ed Giacomin

vCash: 500
The Rangers are like the NY Mets, always picking up somebody elses project hoping we can make it better. The guy was drafted 5 years ago. Maybe we should just sign Betts. At least we know he can kill penalties.

Ed Giacomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 12:30 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by _AC_ View Post
Sather: "He shut down Anisimov last year," said Sather.

Boyle supposedly shutdown Anisimov.
Boyle faced Anisimov in 5 games last season. He held him scoreless in two, but Anisimov put up 5 points against him in the other three.

1/31 HFD @ MCH 0g 2a 2p
2/4 MCH @ HFD 0g 1a 1p
2/22 HFD @ MCH 0g 2a 2p
2/27 MCH @ HFD 0g 0a 0p
3/6 HFD @ MCH 0g 0a 0p

Five points in five games. Not necessarily my definition of "shut down".

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 12:32 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Boyle faced Anisimov in 5 games last season. He held him scoreless in two, but Anisimov put up 5 points against him in the other three.

1/31 HFD @ MCH 0g 2a 2p
2/4 MCH @ HFD 0g 1a 1p
2/22 HFD @ MCH 0g 2a 2p
2/27 MCH @ HFD 0g 0a 0p
3/6 HFD @ MCH 0g 0a 0p

Was Boyle in all of those games and playing against him?

I don't know, i'm honestly asking.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 12:32 PM
Ed Giacomin

I'd rather have a 3rd round pick next year then more potential 4th line depth on the rangers or 2nd line depth in Hartford.

Next year when the draft hits the third round, most of the people will be going crazy on this board about players who are slipping.

Old
06-27-2009, 12:33 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Well I think it serves a few purposes actually.

He could be a fourth line center on the big club.

And he's a proven AHL scorer who could replace Anisimov if he makes the NHL.

Whether he covers for the loss of someone via free agency or trade, makes the NHL as a bottom six forward or replaces Anisimov in the AHL, he could serve a purpose.

It's a depth move and it's not bad.
My thinking exactly, Edge. There's no downside - and a 3rd is fair value.

Here are his stats:

2003-04 Boston College 35G, 5-3-8, 36 PIM
2004-05 Boston College 40G, 19-8-27, 64 PIM
2005-06 Boston College 42G, 22-30-52, 90 PIM
2006-07 Boston College 42G, 19-34-53, 104 PIM
2006-07 Manchester Monarchs 2G, 0-0-0, 2 PIM
2007-08 Manchester Monarchs 70G, 31-31-62, 87 PIM
2007-08 Los Angeles Kings 8G, 4-1-5, 4 PIM
2008-09 Los Angeles Kings 28G, 4-1-5, 42 PIM
2008-09 Manchester Monarchs 42G, 10-11-21, 73 PIM

When did they try the ill-advised shift him to D move?

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 12:34 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Giacomin View Post
I'd rather have a 3rd round pick next year then more potential 4th line depth on the rangers or 2nd line depth in Hartford.

Next year when the draft hits the third round, most of the people will be going crazy on this board about players who are slipping.
Or the team could have a third round pick from another trade. After all, Los Angeles was able to get a third round pick for Brian Boyle.

I think that your statement is absurd, though, so we'll just leave it at that. Picks beyond the first and second rounds are never more valuable than players who can help your system tomorrow.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 12:35 PM
Edge

Quote:

EG, this board will go crazy no matter. It's one of the reasons I don't post as often anymore.

Every move and every decision is reacted to in such an over the top fashion, it gets annoying.

There's nothing more annoying than a bunch of guys acting like over dramatic teenage girls.

As for Boyle, we have to wait and see. This deal does have some potential upside here. Boyle isn't exactly struggling to stick in the AHL. If nothing else, he's our top center in Hartford because Anisimov makes the jump.

If the Rangers want a third round pick back so badly, they'll get one. They always have in the past.

Old
06-27-2009, 12:37 PM
Shake and Bake

I don't like this trade...

Shake and Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 12:37 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:

1/31 HFD @ MCH 0g 2a 2p
2/4 MCH @ HFD 0g 1a 1p
2/22 HFD @ MCH 0g 2a 2p
2/27 MCH @ HFD 0g 0a 0p
3/6 HFD @ MCH 0g 0a 0p

What are the circumstances? For one, he went scoreless as in did not score a single goal. Two, where did he rack up those assists? It's less of an indictment on Boyle if they were on the PP. Even moreso if they were BS secondary assists.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 12:39 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
EG, this board will go crazy no matter. It's one of the reasons I don't post as often anymore.

Every move and every decision is reacted to in such an over the top fashion, it gets annoying.

There's nothing more annoying than a bunch of guys acting like over dramatic teenage girls.

As for Boyle, we have to wait and see. This deal does have some potential upside here. Boyle isn't exactly struggling to stick in the AHL. If nothing else, he's our top center in Hartford because Anisimov makes the jump.

If the Rangers want a third round pick back so badly, they'll get one. They always have in the past.

THis proves exactly why you are King Prawn !

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
FromDubiToZherdev*

Send a message via AIM to FromDubiToZherdev* Send a message via MSN to FromDubiToZherdev*
I was thinking the NYR will have a bad season next year. That 3rd will be really high...

FromDubiToZherdev* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:

.... QFT...

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 12:40 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

He scored a goal against us last season in the game where the Kings came in and beat the heck out of us for two periods ( i think at one point they were outshooting us by a 3 to 1 margin)

I like the fact that he is immovable, but a 3rd in 2010 is too much. I would have rather they used that pick to move up a couple of spots in the 1st or 2nd round than on a guy who is on the verge of being a complete bust after being drafted 6 years ago.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 12:42 PM
squishy

Quote:
Was Boyle in all of those games and playing against him?

I don't know, i'm honestly asking.
Yeah, the teams played 8 times, I only pulled the stats for the ones Boyle played in.

Edit to add (in response to MB): I didn't pull the stats with the goal of being an indictment against Boyle. Just making the point that Slats has a tendency to exaggerate at times. Just cause Slats says he "shut down Anisimov" doesn't mean he's a guaranteed Blair Betts replacement.

Last edited by squishy: 06-27-2009 at 12:49 PM.
squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 12:43 PM
Ed Giacomin

Quote:

Understood. In general, I always like to see us with more bullets in the gun come draft day. Draft day is supposed to be a day of optimism. It seems so easy to get wrapped up in the negative stuff. If Lou L. made the trade I'd probably be saying it was a genious move. It's just so easy to complain about anything that Sather does.

Old
06-27-2009, 12:44 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:

1/31 HFD @ MCH 0g 2a 2p
2/4 MCH @ HFD 0g 1a 1p
2/22 HFD @ MCH 0g 2a 2p
2/27 MCH @ HFD 0g 0a 0p
3/6 HFD @ MCH 0g 0a 0p

From those stats, not a single goal. All points off of assists it seems.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 12:49 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather

MARTY!

Glen Teflon Sather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 12:51 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

I'm all right with this, would have been far more all right with it if it was a 4th going the other way. Haha, I can already see Tortorella getting furious at this kid the way he did in Tampa at Artyuhkin.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 12:58 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Terrible.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 01:03 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
Terrible.
If it means we lose out on a Brandon Dubinsky type with the 3rd rounder we gave up I'd agree with you. I'll hold off on final judgement for a year or so, but I can't say I like it.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 01:09 PM
Edge

Quote:
Understood. In general, I always like to see us with more bullets in the gun come draft day. Draft day is supposed to be a day of optimism. It seems so easy to get wrapped up in the negative stuff. If Lou L. made the trade I'd probably be saying it was a genious move. It's just so easy to complain about anything that Sather does.
I think there's no real way to please everyone in a draft. There's just too many variables.

This was a draft where the Rangers rolled the dice more. Which some people wanted.

Other people felt this wasn't the time to do that.

I think 2 of the 3 Rangers top picks have great speed and the potential to be dangerous players in the NHL.

I think their second pick is the safe pick. He's certainly got room to improve and while I'd love for him to be a top player, i see him as potentially a very nice bottom six player who helps a team win.

This is a draft that gives the team some options. it isn't without risk and there is certainly a chance it doesn't work like we would hope. but there is a chance for a serious payoff.

With this draft and last year's, you can say the Rangers at least have a handful of POTENTIAL impact players. That's not something we could have said a few years ago when we had guys who had higher odds of being NHL'ers but were less likely to play on the top two lines. My guess is that in a few years is that we have to alternate back to safer picks to balance things out again.

Old
06-27-2009, 01:09 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Boyle adds depth, size and other intangibles. We'll most likely pickup another 3rd for next year so this deal is fine with me.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 01:15 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:

I think their second pick is the safe pick. He's certainly got room to improve and while I'd love for him to be a top player, i see him as potentially a very nice bottom six player who helps a team win.
Personally, I see Werek a bit like Korpikoski in the fact that he's going to be a dependable third liner who you'll hope for more, better offensive efforts.

Last edited by Anthony Mauro: 06-27-2009 at 01:21 PM.
Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 01:16 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

This also makes sense from a cap perspective - if I'm not mistaken, his QO is $918,500. I'm guessing that Betts gets at least one offer in the neighborhood of 2 years for $3MM - so, if I'm right, that's $600K you've saved right there.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 01:17 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Maybe another option would be to try and put that big body in front of the net on the PP. Seems like everyone is saying that he has good hands..

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote