HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

This year's lineup vs. Last years.

Closed Thread

Old
03-27-2004, 05:50 PM
Dangerdanger

vCash: 500
This year's lineup vs. Last years.

I just wanted to compare last years playoff lineup vs. this years playoff line up, you know, just for the sake of procrastination and all. Well, if i recall correctly it went like this

Smyth - Marchant - Hemsky
York - Comrie - Dvorak
RPM
Isbister - Horcoff - Laraque

Brewer - Smith
Staios - Cross
Ferguson - Semenov

Salo
Markkanen

Now i dont remember the defense pairings all that well, but I recall semenov not getting all that much icetime and bergeron coming in for that last game. Was brewer with smith? I think the forward lines are correct

This year

Smyth - Horcoff - York (should be)
Torres - Nedved - Dvorak
Moreau - Oates - Pisani
Isbister - Stoll - Laraque

Brewer - Smith
Staios - Cross
Bergeron - Ulanov

Conklin/Markkanen

I can't even remember if this was close to the last lineup we had, too much shuffling.

So, who would you take? how do you think we compare?

Old
03-27-2004, 05:52 PM
streetballer03

preety much the same lineup but 1 year older and more experienced.

Old
03-27-2004, 10:39 PM
Allan

It was
Brewer-Cross
Staios-Smith
Semenov-Ferguson(out for Bergeron in the last game)

Brewer had been playing with Semenov, but they wanted him with somebody with experience in the playoffs, so they switched him with Cross.

Old
03-28-2004, 06:08 AM
Dangerdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan
It was
Brewer-Cross
Staios-Smith
Semenov-Ferguson(out for Bergeron in the last game)

Brewer had been playing with Semenov, but they wanted him with somebody with experience in the playoffs, so they switched him with Cross.
yeah i couldnt remember whether that was this year or last year's playoffs, i guess it was the playoffs indeed. Good stuff.

Old
03-29-2004, 12:35 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
Really the only differences in the line up are:

Marchant -> Nedved
Comrie -> Oates
Salo -> Conklin
_____ -> Ulanov

I'd say the team has gotten a lot better.

Old
03-29-2004, 01:16 PM
jadeddog

yeah nedved is a huge upgrade over marchant, but oates is not an upgrade over comrie, hes a downgrade...... ulanov is a bonus.... and conklin is better than salo

i would say that the team right now is better, but without nedved next year we are much worst, because we will lose oates as well...... they will be marginally better due to age/experience, but they wont gain so much of that to offset losing nedved

Old
03-29-2004, 01:37 PM
MrMackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit
Really the only differences in the line up are:

Marchant -> Nedved
Comrie -> Oates
Salo -> Conklin
_____ -> Ulanov

I'd say the team has gotten a lot better.
And also...

_______ -> Stoll
_______ -> Torres

Considering we have Chimera, Hemsky, Reasoner and Semenov on the sidelines and we can still ice the lineup we have - I'd agree that we're a lot better.

Old
03-29-2004, 02:00 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
yeah nedved is a huge upgrade over marchant, but oates is not an upgrade over comrie, hes a downgrade
In a perfect world, you'd get no argument from me. Keep in mind though that Comrie was very ineffective down the stretch last year, and was a hair's breadth from being a HS in the playoffs.

IMO Oates is playing better right now than Comrie was playing at the end of the season last year.

Old
03-29-2004, 04:56 PM
Dangerdanger

Yeah thats definitely a factor that has to be looked at. And this is all a huge if mind you. Last year we had dvorak and isbister who were just getting used to playing here. This year we have nedved who has proven chemistry with dvorak and torres is along for the ride.

Also last year, we had Comrie and York being largely ineffective. I remember york missing a perfect feed cross crease for an open net that he never would have missed if healthy. Hopefully this year will be a bit different.

Cross was ok, but he has gotten much better this year. Was Jason smith's ankle broken in playoffs last year or a couple before that?

Ulanov replacing ferguson if you will, well that looks a heck of a lot better.

We also are not relying on hemsky on the top line, as he was pretty ineffective last year in the playoffs.

We are missing reasoner though, I hope that doesnt hurt too much. Hopefully if we make it oates' faceoff ability makes up for reasoner's loss. This team is much much deeper to me, and everyone has much more chemistry and experience with each other. Conklin/markkanen hopefully won't let in any puck a defenseman with a good shot touches. And i think we were really still missing niinimaa last year come playoffs, which hurt.

Still, i just hope we make the playoffs. oh please.

Old
03-29-2004, 11:37 PM
Blatherblah

Let's see...

Wingers: Better
Hemsky - hasn't been consistent this year. Slight decrease.
Dvorak - a full season of Dvorak. Better than last year.
Pisani - Until recently, hasn't been that much better than last year. But he's replaced Moreau as Mr Clutch of late. Slight increase.
I think the rest of the wingers are about the same as last year, though surprisingly, most of them have better +/- this year
Torres - He's been a great addition.

Centers: Worse
Horcoff - About the same as last year.
Marchant/Comrie/Reasoner replaced by Oates/Nedved/Stoll
I think Stoll kind of replaces Reasoner, which is okay.
Nedved/Oates replacing Marchant/Comrie should have been a big improvement, since Nedved/Oates are better offensive players, but since Nedved came late in the season, I'd say we lost a bit here. Let's not forget the failed experiments at center early in the season

Defense: Better
Brewer/Smith/Staios/Cross: About the same as last year
Bergeron/Ulanov replace Ferguson/Semenov. Big improvement recently. Too bad their emergence happened fairly late in the season. Moreover, Semenov played about half a season and was about the same as last year.

Goaltending: Worse
Now it's better, but looking at the season as a whole, it's been rough at times. Since moving Salo, goaltending has been more consistent I think.

Overall, I'd say this year's bunch is a bit better. We have better depth, and thanks to Nedved, a bit of star power. Unfortunately, not much to show for it until March. But now, the Oilers are hot and that's all that matters!

Closed Thread