HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

How Would You Rate This Draft?

View Poll Results: How Would You Rate This Draft?
A 4 2.84%
A- 11 7.80%
B+ 46 32.62%
B 35 24.82%
B- 23 16.31%
C+ 12 8.51%
C 5 3.55%
C- 3 2.13%
D+ 0 0%
D 1 0.71%
D- 0 0%
F 1 0.71%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-28-2009, 01:16 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
I gotta give the Rangers a high grade. Whether that means it's a B or an A-, the alphabet doesn't matter. What matters is they made 3 solid picks with their first 3 selections and Stajcer is a goalie with promise and good value where they got him. I don't know much about the Euros and I wouldn't have drafted Maggio but it's hard to argue with a draft when your first 3 selections are solid.

Kreider is the guy I thought could fall to us that I wanted. The kid has skill, can really skate and has plenty of drive - throw in the size and it's a very attractive package. Werek's a guy who I thought could go late first/early second. No problem with that pick. Bourque isn't the guy I necessarily would have taken when the Rangers took him but it's not like it's some insane selection. There's some offense there. I must say it's nice to see the team take some forwards with upside.

Glad to say the Kreider has your approval, too. Again, 6-3, 200, great skater, highly skilled, plus every scouting report I've read mentions his hockey sense and ice awareness. To me, it's not a matter of if, but, when with Kreider. Clark seems to think he's a two-and-out at BC...which should mean one year at Hartford.

I'm fine with Werek, as he fits the need for a PF this team has..the question becomes does he improve his skating...Dubi did, why can't Werek. If the Rangers are lucky, we get Corey Perry.

Ryan Bourque...not on my radar, but good offensive upside, so, you hope develops, so you get depth and a quality trade asset...same goes for Horak.

I was glad to see the Rangers draft to shore up areas of the organization...like last year's selection of three D-men, grabbing Stajcer and trading for Johnson makes me feel a logt better of that area of the prospect pool.

Maggio's size is intriguing.

I have nothing to say about Pashnin, other than, if the kid develops, it gives the organization added depth to make deals.

Overall, I say B+, due to Kreider, Werek, Stajcer, and the trades for Boyle and Johnson.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 01:23 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

B- stricktly on kreiders speed and skills and the stajcer pick- i like this kid alot.

overall i was not happy yesterday and less so today. as a caveat, these are kids and who knows what will happen 2-4 yrs from now. its all speculation. my opinions are based soley on whom I wanted them to pick and I am a no one. like i needed to tell you guys that........

kreider pure skills and a great kid from all reports. given time, hes going to be a difference maker and certainly top 6 fixture. he would have gone right after us had we skipped him. this pick gets a solid grade A

do not like the werek pick at all. he doesnt skate that well. hes a power forward guy but of those available, he wasnt at the top of my list. would have preferred we put 1 or 2 of our 5th rounders in play along with pick 3 and grabbed carter ashton who fell to 30 or jeremy morin who went a few picks before us. i liked anton rodin, panik and even orlov better than werek. and im bummed we didnt make a play for klingberg. not trying to move up and grab another 2nd rounder was a mistake. tons of good players were available form 30-50 and we didnt get any of the ones i liked. grade C-

the bourque pick again i thought was poor. 5'8 170 is fine but he plays like hes bigger. hes a pest and although he can flat out fly, hes another setup type guy who creates with hustle and energy. not a terrible talent, just not crazy about the pick in the 3rd round. undersized guys are ok if they are scorers like a gionta or a parise. im not sure this kid is that kinda player or not. this is the worst pick we made imo, not just on his size but the value that was still on the board at the time. just on his smurf like size alone i give this pick a grade C-

roman horak. meh. once were into round 5 its hit or miss. no problem here going with a high talent, extremely fast skater whos all offense and not much else. hard to give this a grade but well say since hes offensive and again has great speed well go grade C+

scott stajcer is going to be a good netminder., hes big, hes technically sound and hes cool under pressure, he doesnt get rattled and has an air of confidence about him. i liked this kid all along and im please we chose him. grade B+

but as much as i liked this pick, i absolutely do not understand the johnson move. makes no sense and we gave up a 5th rounder for a kid who wa a 5th rounder 2 yrs ago with numbers that arent great. to me, this was one of those moves. this move gets a grade D from me

would have preferred that pick be put in play to move up a few spots ahead of the werek pick.

the rest of the draft is a whatever. i dont know those kids so i cant comment. the whole boyle thing is another attempt to reclaim a career. would prefer to give a kid a chance. and if this 6'7 sloth keeps grachev off the team ill tweak.

overall the draft was so-so after kreider. we made no attempt to move up and grab good, solid players early to mid second round. we did nothing. and the johnson thing was stupid, we ended up with 2 5th round goalie picks. ugh.

i wanted kreider in my top 4 kids. after that not one of my others was picked. guys like palmieri, morin, klingberg and ashton carter are all going to be solid players.

Last edited by offdacrossbar: 06-28-2009 at 01:29 PM.
offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 01:54 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Gave it a B+ only because of the deals we made at the draft as well.

Loved the Boyle pick up and this goalie seems like a wild card.

The picks seem ehhh kinda safe picks which i'm fine with, I think that Bourque pick could turn out good....the rest i'm just gonna forget em and see how they are doing in two years.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 02:31 PM
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to BlueShirts88
I voted C+. Right smack in the middle. Ask me again in a few years, then I'll give you a better answer.

BlueShirts88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 08:28 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Happy with the Krieder pick. There was one guy I wanted over him and that was Schroeder. But, not so much that I would stomp my feet when they didn't draft him. I like that Clark too a bit of a risk here to potentially get a player with game breaking speed. Overall, I am happy weith the pick. And for whoever is saying they didn't draft size, at 18, this kid is 6'2". He's god a solid frame already. Not too shabby.

I had a fishing tournament on Saturday, so I missed day two, but when I got back I was shocked to see Werek at 47. I thought for sure he would have been gone by then. I thought he was actually going to go in the first round. Very happy he was still on the board at 47.

I am not the biggest fan of bloodlines, and this club already has it's share of waterbugs! Hopefully Bourque continues to progress.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 10:04 AM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Kreider has more talent then any other forward in our system, including our NHL roster.
hahahaha yeah no

Grachev is much better pal. Sorry

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 10:30 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

our draft was mediocre imo. although krieder is a great pick, hes still unproven against anything but prep players.

werek i can live with but still preferred others at that pick. i will say, werek does have alot of positive intangibles like his character, his intelligence and his compete level and i believe he can improve his skating, but im not sure hes a top 6 talent. to me, hell peak as a rugged, banger who has a nice set hands and works well down low. 3rd line type who may get 25 a year. time will tell. didnt know, not that this matters in the least, but hes jewish. not many jewish players that i can think of.

the bourque pick looks worse every day when i consider what was still there when we grabbed this 5'8 170 flea. this is the pick i would have package with the 5th we used for johnson- ugh and tried to move up into late 2nd round. we didnt- oh well.

would rather have atlantas top 3 over ours. they did very well.

Evander Kane, Carl Klingberg and Jeremy Morin >>>>> Kreider, werek and bourque.

sorry but true.

Last edited by offdacrossbar: 06-29-2009 at 10:40 AM.
Old
06-29-2009, 10:34 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post

Evander Kane, Carl Klingberg and Jeremy Morin >>>>> Kreider, werek and bourque
I would hope they did better than us - they had the 4th overall and two picks before our second rounder.

06-29-2009, 10:52 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan444 View Post
I would hope they did better than us - they had the 4th overall and two picks before our second rounder.
as a package of 3 players they did better.

i like kreider alot. his skill set and size make him potentially a difference maker. i see his upside as equal to say scott glennie perhaps, so thats pretty good value at 19.

but klingberg and morin v. werek and borque isnt even close imo.

i was dissapointed we chose to do nothing in the second when we had 3 5th rounders. maybe we tried, who knows. i am just not a huge fan of the bourque pick.

then again, what do i know?

Old
06-29-2009, 11:00 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
as a package of 3 players they did better.

i like kreider alot. his skill set and size make him potentially a difference maker. i see his upside as equal to say scott glennie perhaps, so thats pretty good value at 19.

but klingberg and morin v. werek and borque isnt even close imo.

i was dissapointed we chose to do nothing in the second when we had 3 5th rounders. maybe we tried, who knows. i am just not a huge fan of the bourque pick.

then again, what do i know?
Trading up in the 2nd round with 5th rounders as enticement is not an attractive offer.

Either way, I loved the Werek pick, he's alot better than people think and he just turned 18 a few weeks ago.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 11:48 AM
dank

Quote:
our draft was mediocre imo. although krieder is a great pick, hes still unproven against anything but prep players.

werek i can live with but still preferred others at that pick. i will say, werek does have alot of positive intangibles like his character, his intelligence and his compete level and i believe he can improve his skating, but im not sure hes a top 6 talent. to me, hell peak as a rugged, banger who has a nice set hands and works well down low. 3rd line type who may get 25 a year. time will tell. didnt know, not that this matters in the least, but hes jewish. not many jewish players that i can think of.

the bourque pick looks worse every day when i consider what was still there when we grabbed this 5'8 170 flea. this is the pick i would have package with the 5th we used for johnson- ugh and tried to move up into late 2nd round. we didnt- oh well.

Evander Kane, Carl Klingberg and Jeremy Morin >>>>> Kreider, werek and bourque.

sorry but true.

now i like him so much more

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 11:54 AM
The Thomas J.*

I dunno, I can't get to excited about these drafts anymore, we did not draft a can't miss guy like we did with MDZ last year, it's a wait & see with this one.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 12:01 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Trading up in the 2nd round with 5th rounders as enticement is not an attractive offer.

Either way, I loved the Werek pick, he's alot better than people think and he just turned 18 a few weeks ago.
Exactly. He patterns himself after Corey Perry and I can see it.

They have the same knocks at the same age. Skating ability and some inconsistency.

Though Werek's inconsistency levels aren't anywhere near as bad as Perry's were, his skating is about equal to Perry's at the same age.

He is truly a great pick.

Like I said. We got 3 of my top 60. I have to give the draft an A right now because of that. Horak is a great boom or bust player. I'm not sold on Stajcer, but Edge likes him.

Ocho Cinco is a very solid goalie. Don't understand the bashing of him by some. He was buried on one of the worst college teams around and when he finally got a chance to start full time, he was lights out. He's a good depth goalie who is more skilled than his numbers and team would show.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 12:28 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post

with the number of guys i had going off the board early, and then seeing some of them drop enough to be within reach had we done some dealing, i was kinda bummed we didnt get a morin, klingberg, zach budish or even orlov.

a package of our 3rd round pick and a 5th for a mid 2nd would not entice a team to do something? im not so sure thats that bad a deal. even our own 2nd and a 5th for a higher 2nd seems reasonable.

im just thinking out loud here as i would have liked us to go hard after some more of that top 60 talent.

and for the record, the werek pick may very well turn out to be a good move. if he gets bigger we may have a 6'2 -3 210 guy who can be that power forward down low guy we need in the system.

its that 3rd pick thats stuck in my beak.

Old
06-29-2009, 12:49 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Exactly. He patterns himself after Corey Perry and I can see it.

They have the same knocks at the same age. Skating ability and some inconsistency.

Though Werek's inconsistency levels aren't anywhere near as bad as Perry's were, his skating is about equal to Perry's at the same age.

He is truly a great pick.

Like I said. We got 3 of my top 60. I have to give the draft an A right now because of that. Horak is a great boom or bust player. I'm not sold on Stajcer, but Edge likes him.

Ocho Cinco is a very solid goalie. Don't understand the bashing of him by some. He was buried on one of the worst college teams around and when he finally got a chance to start full time, he was lights out. He's a good depth goalie who is more skilled than his numbers and team would show.
I had Johnson down as a late round sleeper in my 2006 draft preview, always thought he was a good prospect. We need depth in goal and adding a good one at a small cost is a good deal to me.

Quote:
with the number of guys i had going off the board early, and then seeing some of them drop enough to be within reach had we done some dealing, i was kinda bummed we didnt get a morin, klingberg, zach budish or even orlov.

a package of our 3rd round pick and a 5th for a mid 2nd would not entice a team to do something? im not so sure thats that bad a deal. even our own 2nd and a 5th for a higher 2nd seems reasonable.

im just thinking out loud here as i would have liked us to go hard after some more of that top 60 talent.

and for the record, the werek pick may very well turn out to be a good move. if he gets bigger we may have a 6'2 -3 210 guy who can be that power forward down low guy we need in the system.

its that 3rd pick thats stuck in my beak.
I don't think our 2nd and a 5th moved us up much, its still the 2nd round, pretty sure teams wouldve wanted that 3rd rounder. Werek just turned 18. I think he'll definitely grow to 6'2 or more. He's a talented kid with a good head for the game, can't wait to see his game progress.

Yeah, the Bourque pick is a little surprising and underwhelming, but I'll reserve judgment until he fills out and plays a season or two in the CHL.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote