Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Notices

2009 Dallas Stars Draft Pick Scouting Reports

Old
06-27-2009, 10:00 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
2009 Dallas Stars Draft Pick Scouting Reports

The info is spread out on multiple threads right now. I thought it would be nice if we could locate the information. If it's a bad idea, Lobo can lock the thread.

Anyway, if someone posts info on a draft pick, I'll update the first 3 posts. I already have quite a few things I've located on the internet. I'll periodically update that tonight.

Scott Glennie
1st Round - 8th Overall

Quote:
Name: Scott Glennie
Born: February 22, 1991 in Oakville, Ontario
Height/Weight: 6-1/177 pounds
Position: Right Wing
Shoots: Rights
2008-09 Team: Brandon (WHL)

"Combines nice hands and strong work ethic. Tremendous improvement in skating and is now one of the fastest players in the draft. ... Players with energy and isn't afraid to mix it up in the heavy going or take a hit. Will need to improve overall strength - is very slight and gets knocked down a lot. ... Good penalty killer and smart defensively."
- Red Line Report 2009 Draft Guide

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Glennie is a very determined player with a non-stop motor. He is fearless in his approach and thrives in going into the dirty areas to dig out pucks for his teammates. Glennie often comes out with the pucks and has the vision to spot his teammates going to the slot. His ability to play in traffic is top-notch...
- McKeen's 2008 Draft Guide

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"A highly skilled offensive forward who can set it up and also finish. Great passer and shooter. ... He needs to improve the defensive and physical side of his game to create more room for himself at the next level. Strength
will come naturally with maturity."
- International Scouting Services 2009 NHL Draft Guide

"He has great hockey sense. He competes hard and has good offensive instincts."
- A scout, quoted in The Hockey News 2009 NHL Draft Guide

“Scott brings a lot of speed and skill. He has very good vision and sees the ice well. He’s a right wing but he’s also a centerman so we don’t know what he’ll play down the road. His coach said he will play center next year and he’s played a lot of center before. But we’re very pleased that we were able to draft Scott.”
- Stars director amateur scouting Tim Bernhardt

"He has all the Dallas Stars qualities we look for. He's a team guy first. He has speed and skill, which is what everybody obviously strives for these days. A right shot doesn't hurt because we are lacking a few of those right now. He has real good growth potential, he's a solid kid and hard working kid. He's the type of kid, like a Brenden Morrow, that we want to build around."

"He's a got a couple years left in juniors. We're going to watch him closely and monitor his progress. "He's a phenomenal player already. He's got some growing to do, but we'll we see. Kids are jumping in all the time these days."
- Stars General Manager Joe Nieuwendyk
http://www.andrewsstarspage.com/inde...k/1737-2008-09

Quote:
"He is a good hockey player, highly skilled with natural goal scoring instincts," said a veteran NHL scout from an upper echelon Western Conference team. "I've seen him play on the wing and in the middle, but I think I like him down the middle because of his creativity."
http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/arch...n-glennie.html

Quote:
Glennie, Scott - RW - Brandon WHL

RW-R / 6-1.25, 177 / 22-Feb-91

Skating: 75 / Skill: 65 / Sense: 60 / Compete: 60 / Tough: 45

Strengths: Fantastic skater with excellent pure speed. Plays an energetic game. Versatile puck skill and good offensive sense. Stepped up with great post-season performance after returning from broken elbow.

Weaknesses: Awfully easy to knock down/off the puck (if you can catch him). Turned into more of a perimetre player this season - that worries me a bit. Slight build and needs to get stronger.

Terrific skating ability - dangerous top speed, very shifty. Frequently beats d-men with that extra gear. Can handle the puck at speed. Had a lot of full- or partial-breakaways. When he didn't beat the d-man, he'd often have to take it around behind the net to wait for his linemates to catch up. Skating and high energy level allows him to be a really effective forechecker and penalty killer. Underrated skill level and hockey sense. Will take a hit to make a play, but will need to get stronger to survive the pro game.

My notes on him from last season vs. this season look like two totally different players. Great improvement in skating ability transformed him into a puck-rushing finesse speed demon. Kept hoping the gritty grinder from his rookie year would resurface this year, but didn't see much of that. Almost never drops the gloves (only 1 fight the whole year, in an after the whistle crease scrum).

Summary: Erased all the doubts about his status as a pro prospect coming into this season - legitimate mid-first rounder now. Slight nagging question in my head about where the gritty physical game went, but don't really care too much given the great improvement in skating and offensive creativity.

Draft Day: I think he goes somewhere in that 10-20 range. I think he could come off the board in the 10-13 area, which would surprise some people. Hard to imagine him falling lower than about 20-22nd overall.
http://nhldraftnotes.blogspot.com/20...andon-whl.html

Last edited by BigG44: 06-28-2009 at 02:27 PM.
BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 10:01 PM
BigG44

Alex Chiasson
2nd Round - 38th Overall

Quote:
Name: Alex Chiasson
Born: October 1, 1990 in Montreal, Quebec
Height/Weight: 6-4/187 pounds
Shoots: Right
2008-09 Team: Des Moines (USHL)

"Alex shows a real strong competitiveness and willingness to go to the net. He takes the hit to make the play, yet at the same time can stickhandle in a telephone booth and find the open man. Night in night out, he comes to play - the effort is always there."
- NHL Central Scouting's Jack Barzee

“Chiasson has all of the tools to become a productive prototypical power forward. Has a long reach and hard shot. He will accumulate points through hard work, crashing the net and paying the price. Given time he should be a power forward with the ability to put up good offensive numbers. He loves to compete and shows the grit that any coach would want for his team. A very good skater for his size who can finish with flash or grit.”
- International Scouting Services 2009 Draft Guide

"Huge winger with fine offensive tools. Still shows some inconsistencies in his game, but has improved in a lot of departments since his prep season last year. Big, physical kid will bang and grind anywhere on the rink and has increased his willingness to compete hard on a consistent basis. Has good knack around net and will outmuscle defenders or space around the crease. Snaps off heavy wristers coming down the wing, but tends to telegraph his shots a bit. Good puckhandler with exceptionally long reach - uses his body to shield the puck. Not the quickest skater in terms of lateral movement, but effort and straight line power are there."

"He uses his speed on the forecheck and is becoming a nightmare for defenseman as he finishes his checks with considerable force."
- Kevin Wey, McKeen's Hockey
http://www.andrewsstarspage.com/inde...e/1745-2008-09

Quote:
“He obviously has real good size, and he is a physical power-type of player. He's aggressive, big and goes hard to the net. We saw him early last season and he's really committed to becoming a good player. His skating has improved quite a bit under J.P. Parise in Des Moines, and its gone from a concern into a positive for him. He's good down low and makes good decisions. He'll go to Boston University and we are really excited about his potential.” – Stars scout Bob Gernander

"Alex Chiasson is a big player, he has tremendous size. He has shown vast improvement since the beginning of the season and therefore his quickness has improved and is evident on the ice and in his statistics. He's got a competitive attitude and has great potential as a professional hockey player." - J.P. Parise, Des Moines Buccaneers Head Coach and General Manager
http://stars.nhl.com/team/app/?servi...ticleid=431981

Quote:
Chiasson:
"BU is a hard offensive team and that's the way I see myself," Chiasson said. "I define myself as a power forward. I like hitting, going hard to the net and I love scoring goals. That's what coach Parker wants me to come and do, and make an impact as a freshman."

"My parents (Serge and Marilyn) are models for me," said Chiasson. "They stop me a lot and show me how life goes. As much as I care about hockey, when I go home I have to do my homework, study and get ready for the next day in school. Without them, I wouldn't be where I am right now. I can't thank them enough for what they did.

"When I was younger I was an 'A' student. I chose college for studies and because I thought it was the best thing for me in hockey at the same time. You never know what's going to happen after hockey, whether you're not good enough or something bad happens."

"It was the best decision for me," said Chiasson. "Boston University hockey -- what can I say? What a great team they had this year, national champions. It's a great team with great coaching. It's an amazing atmosphere at the school. It's the best fit for me. I visited for three days in October, visited the rink and hung out with the guys. I fell in love with it.

"(Trainer) Mike Boyle is there and he's known around the world for what he's done with hockey players. It was a big decision, but at the end it's the best thing for me. I met Mike -- he's pretty intense for a little guy. He has character and leadership. He's one of the main reasons that I'm going there."

"I was a senior in high school this year and I had good grades," Chiasson said. "I had straight A's two years ago at Northwood but I had B's and A's this year. I had to work a little harder in class because there was only four classes a day and sometimes I'd be gone for a couple of days because of hockey. It was different, but I did well."

"I was used to success when I was younger," Chiasson said. "This year was hard with the losing. When you are losing, you're not focusing on doing the right thing -- you're trying to find solutions and sometimes that takes you away from your game. It was good it happened to me. It showed me things aren't going to be easy all the time. You have to work hard through it and do the best you can do.

"It showed me more than hockey. It showed me about life, too. Life isn't easy. You have to finish what you start and you have to work hard at it."

"Maybe my skating is above-average," said Chiasson, "but if I want to make it to the NHL, I have to work on it this summer and get a better stride and more strength in my legs. That's what makes you a good hockey player and I'll make sure it goes well for me."
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=426154

Adding this to Alex Chiasson:

Quote:
"I went through everything with them," Chiasson said, with a knowing smile. "They talked to my teachers, they talked to my parents, they talked to my housing parents, coaches, my friends. I went through a lot, more than with any team. I knew it would be Dallas."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I'm actually headed out to BU tomorrow, so I'll work out there," he said with determined look on his face. "Ya know I'm 6-3, 195 right now and to take it to the next level I need to get bigger, put on some pounds."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I think I'm going to keep both [goal scoring ability/physical play], I think that's what makes me a good hockey player. When I play physical, that's when I score goals. It's great to say, but that's where it is. I like to go hard and play physical. I think they [Dallas Stars] really liked my work ethic on the ice. I'm a power forward that really likes to go to the net and they really liked me a lot."

"It's not bad being in the top 40 in the world. I'm happy about it."
http://www.defendingbigd.com/2009/6/...ex-chiasson-is

Quote:
• Chiasson led the Des Moines Buccaneers in assists (33) and points (50) in 50 games in his first season in the USHL and was selected to participate in the 2009 USHL Prospects All-Star Game.

• The Montreal, Quebec native has committed to attend Boston University in the fall of 2009.

• He patterns his game after Ryan Getzlaf and Vincent Lecavalier because of their effective style - combining physical play with skill. His favorite player growing up was Alexander Radulov.

• Nicknamed “Cheese”, he played his minor hockey for Quebec North Shore and started skating at the age of four – “my dad and sister left me on the ice. I was crying because I didn’t want to leave my dad and skate by myself.”

• If he could invite any three people to dinner he would choose Tiger Woods, Sidney Crosby and President Obama and the most embarrassing song on his iPod is “Circle of Life” from the Lion King.

Favorites
NHL Team: Montreal Canadiens
NHL Player: Sidney Crosby
Shootout move: “Zach Parise style – coming on the right side backhand top left”
Goal celebration: Jumping into the glass
Video game: NHL ’09, Call of Duty 4
Movie: The Gladiator
TV Show: Prison Break, Lost and Heroes
Actor: Will Ferrell and Pierce Brosnan
Cartoon: Tom and Jerry
Book: The Secret
Pump up song: “Don’t Stop Believing” by Journey
Restaurant: Le Baton Rouge and the Metropolitan
Sport (other than hockey): Golf and Tennis
Breakfast food: Mom’s eggs, potatoes, bacon and toast
Superhero: Batman
http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospect...sort=finalRank

Some info about his coach in the USHL:

Quote:
J.P. Parise was a two time all-star for the Minnesota North Stars in the early 1970's, and after retiring from hockey wernt on to become a long-time coach in organization. After spending several years as an assistant coach for the North Stars, Parise moved on to become the coach and hockey director at Shattuck-St. Mary's. Under Parise, future NHL stars Jack Johnson, Jonathan Toews, Zach Parise (his son) and Sidney Crosby played for the Sabres before moving on to junior hockey.

Chiasson is #9 in the clips:

Reilly Smith
3rd Round - 69th Overall

Quote:
Name: Reilly Smith
Born: April 1, 1991 in Toronto, Ontario
Height/Weight: 6-1/157 pounds
Shoots: Left
2008-09 Team: St. Michaels (OJHL)

“Has excellent puck skills and thinks the game very well offensively - instinctive and aware of game situations. Very good skater with speed and agility. Sees the ice well and can thread the needle with soft touch passes. ... Has a laser beam wrist shot that he can pinpoint to corners, but if he’s not scoring, he has little impact on the game. Several clubs are staying mum on their interest in the kid because they're hoping to steal him with a mid-round pick."

"He is primarily a swift skating playmaker but can also finish off plays, he also possesses some feistiness to his game."
- Future Considerations 2009 Draft Guide

"Needs to bulk up ... Good offensive upside ... Good speed and hands ... Creative with the puck ... Ineffective in high traffic areas."
http://www.andrewsstarspage.com/inde...e/1749-2008-09

Quote:
"He is a high-energy skilled forward who competes very hard and is just a worker. He plays bigger than he looks, and he is definitely going to fill out at Miami Ohio. He definitely brings what we are looking for." - Stars scout Jimmy Johnston
http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/arch...ft-wrapup.html

Quote:
Reilly did an online podcast with Toronto-based hockey show.

Reilly’s interview starts at 49:30.

• This year’s playoffs were the best he ever played (9G 6A 15PTS in 6 games).
• Played 4th line minutes last year in 13 games and still managed 9 points.
• He was selected 1st overall in a lacrosse league.
• Lacrosse helps his hands and endurance.
• Started lacrosse at age 4, hockey at 5.
• Why he chose Miami-Ohio: Love the campus, great atmosphere, driven by hockey, NCAA tournament had an impact.
• Defensive abilities: Played defensive role with St. Michael’s first. Grew into offense.
• Fitness: Work on endurance (lacrosse), physical training/weight training
• Lack of size: Not much of an issue so far. Thought it would.
His coach’s opinion: Reilly Smith wants to be a hockey player. He’s in the gym, he works after practice, he’s a hard working guy. I saw a lot of improvement from the first day I was there to the end of the year where he absolutely dominated the games in the playoffs that we played. He’s a kid that’s going to put on 25 pounds of muscle, and he’s not done growing. He’s got it in his genes. His brother got drafted in the first round by Detroit ……. I think someone is going to get a steal a late round with him.
• Helped his confidence with the faith his coach showed in him.
• More physically tiring after game, hockey/lacrosse? Hockey.
• Why? Lacrosse is fast pace, but more breaks.
• Biggest impact on hockey? Dad. Pushed me. Had faith in me.
• Nickname? Smitty or Filthy.
• One skill needed to be hockey player? Determination. Hockey has a lot of ups and downs.

Ended at 1:12:30

Go to the following webpage to find a link to hear the show. The link is at the bottom of the webpage: http://afootinthecrease.com/index.php?post_id=482932

Last edited by BigG44: 06-28-2009 at 02:55 PM.
Old
06-27-2009, 10:02 PM
BigG44

Tomas Vincour
5th Round - 129th Overall

Quote:
Name: Tomas Vincour
Born: November 19, 1990 in Brno, Czech Republic
Height/Weight: 6-2/203 pounds
Position: Center/Right wing
Shoots: Right
2008-09 Team: Edmonton (WHL)

"Good mix of size and skill – quick, intense, smart and strong. ... A strong physical presence, Vincour has a good set of hands and follows the puck well in the offensive zone but also works his tail off to get back into his end to break up plays."

"Skating is a serious flaw. Short, choppy stride and poor balance really hampers his game even at the junior level. Has some straight line speed, but it takes him forever to wind it up. ... Best assets are his soft hands and projectable body. Excellent hands from anywhere below the circles. Jumps on rebounds near the crease. Can create for himself with excellent stickhandling ability in tight spaces. Plays with a lot of energy and desire, but poor skating doesn't allow him to get to loose pucks. ... Doesn't do much defensively. Has more offensive upside, but probably more bust potential."

"Vincour is an exciting and talented offensive player .. skating is his strength, as he has a great first step and climbs quickly to high acceleration .. prone to injuries, he was limited to 49 games this season but put up good numbers with 36 points, including 17 goals .. he's improved on his defensive game but needs to work on man to man defense .. needs to be involved more physically to be effective and utilize his 6-foot-2 frame .. great hands, as he has a quick release off the half ..."
- Randy Gorman, McKeen's Hockey
http://www.andrewsstarspage.com/inde...e/1751-2008-09

Quote:
"He projects to be a power forward. He's a big, strong kid who skates and shoots the puck very well. He plays up and down and a physical brand of hockey and he's very effective. He uses his skating to drive the net and he takes the puck to the danger areas." – Edmonton Head Coach Steve Pleau.

"He is a big power winger with very good hands. He is really a two-way guy that uses his size extremely well. He was the first pick in the European Draft and is in his second year in North America. He's a good young player with a lot of potential." - Stars scout Shane Churla

"I would say I like North American hockey better than Europe. In Europe it's more of a technical game, but in North America it's a more physical game, which I like better. I think since I played in Edmonton it helped my draft ranking. Playing in Edmonton made me a different person than I was before. It was a tough move for me because I left my whole family, my friends and my girlfriend back home, but it made me a stronger person and it turned out well in the end." - Tomas Vincour
http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/arch...ft-wrapup.html

Quote:
Vincour:
"I am a big player and I like to play a physical style," Vincour said. "If I play physically then I will get the attention of everyone and that's the first thing, but also I like to play physical because it feels nice to hit someone and it knocks them off the puck."

"At first when I came to North America there was a big difference for me because I didn't speak English," Vincour said. "There is also a different hockey style in North America because there is a smaller rink here than in Europe, so it took me a while to adjust. But after a while I got better playing in our system in Edmonton and I felt more comfortable in Edmonton."

"Playing on a young team doesn't bother me because if you're a young player you can still make a big difference," Vincour said. "Sometimes it pays for you to be on a younger team. If you're on an older team you can learn a lot of things from the older guys, but it doesn't matter to me because I'm just happy that I still get the opportunity to play hockey."

His coach:
"I think he's done very well adjusting to the WHL,"' he said. "He's certainly not intimidated by his new surroundings. Like any kid it takes some time to adjust to the schedule and the number of games we play and the travel. He's an exceptional kid, he's outgoing and he has a great personality. His teammates have really enjoyed him and all of those things are positives for Tomas.

"He's very outgoing. He's a fun-loving kid that often has a smile on his face and I think he's really thrived over here. He gets along really well with his billets; he's a great teammate and a great friend to our other players."

"Being an expansion team, we are very young," Pleau said. "He's played quite a bit, but I think that no matter what team that Tomas played on this year he would've been in your top-six forwards and playing a lot. He played a lot of minutes this season."
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=424941

Quote:
Vincour, Tomas - RW/C - Edmonton WHL

RW/C-R / 6-2.0, 203 / 19-Nov-90

Skating: 30 / Skill: 60 / Sense: 50 / Compete: 65 / Tough: 45

Strengths: Nice hands in tight areas. Big frame. Gives a good effort and competes physically.

Weaknesses: Very rough skater. Needs to get a lot stronger. Did not improve much this season.

Has some nice hands and can really stickhandle in tight areas. Good shooting accuracy. Likes to go to the net and isn't afraid to battle for position near the crease.

Short skating stride is a real problem. First step quickness is just not there at all. Takes a long time to stop and re-start. Doesn't turn very well and poor balance. Only plus about his skating is some okay speed once he finally gets going.

I like that he's not afraid to throw the body around, but he just isn't physically effective at all. Lack of strength and poor balance usually means he ends up on the ice even when he's initiating the contact.

Summary: Might have been a victim of high expectations and playing on a bad team. But the skating issues are the real problem. However, if he's still available in the 3rd or 4th, you won't often find this kind of skill level still available in the middle of the draft. And I really like his competitiveness and desire to be physical.

Draft Day: I'll be surprised if he goes before the 3rd. A slide as far down as the 5th will be surprising, but not impossible.
http://nhldraftnotes.blogspot.com/20...onton-whl.html

Quote:
• Vincour represented the Czech Republic at the 2009 World Juniors, recording three assists (0-3-3) and a plus-two rating in six games. He lists making the team as his most memorable hockey moment.

• Playing only 49 games this season due to the World Juniors and an injury in January, he posted 36 points (17-19-36) for the Oil Kings, helping them make the playoffs.

• The Edmonton Oil Kings selected Vincour with the first overall selection in the 2007 Import Draft – he made his debut for the Oil Kings in 2007-08. In his rookie season he finished in the top 15 in WHL rookie scoring, posting 16 goals and 39 points (16-23-39) in 65 games.

• His cousin, Libor Zabransky, was drafted by St. Louis (209th overall) in the 1995 NHL Entry Draft.

• Vincour got started in hockey at the age of six when his mom first bought him skates and took him to watch his hometown team. He credits his family for having the most influence on his career “because they all love hockey and played hockey”.

• His childhood hockey idol was Jaromir Jagr – “he was the best player in the NHL when I was young”.

Favorites
NHL Team: Detroit
NHL Player: Ales Hemsky
Shootout move: Slapshot, high glove
Goal celebration: Arm pump
Video Game: Call of Duty 5
Movie: Step Brothers, 300
TV Show: Entourage
Actress: Jessica Alba
Music Artist: Taylor Swift
Book: History about Egypt
Pump-up song: “Right round” by Flo Rida
http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospect...d=5713&tab=prf

Curtis McKenzie
6th Round - 159th Overall

Quote:
Name: Curtis McKenzie
Born: February 22, 1991 in Golden, British Columbia
Height/Weight: 6-2/192 pounds
Position: Left Wing
Shoots: Left
2008-09 Team: Penticton (BCHL)

“A player that earned his draft position as the year went on. He would go through the wall for a teammate. After being named captain late in the season, McKenzie elevated his game. Very dangerous on PK. Very aggressive on forecheck - takes good angles and looks to finish checks. Skating is just average. Gives a good effort and does not give up on loose pucks. Good player in both ends of rink – strong on puck and will battle along the boards.”
http://www.andrewsstarspage.com/inde...e/1752-2008-09

Quote:
“He is an ‘in-your-face’ heart and soul type of winger who loves to play in traffic. He shows some good finish and will pay the price to get the job done. He is going to play at Miami next year. – Stars scout Dennis Holland
http://stars.nhl.com/team/app/?servi...ticleid=431981

Quote:
McKenzie, Curtis - RW/LW - Penticton BCHL

RW/LW-L / 6-1.5, 192 / 21-Feb-91

Skating: 55 / Skill: 60 / Sense: 55 / Compete: 65 / Tough: 65

Strengths: Gritty two-way game. Underrated skill. Plays with a lot of fire and likes to throw the body around.

Weaknesses: Skating is so-so at best.

There's so much to like about this player - he can score, he can hit, he drops the gloves, and he shows just enough finesse skill to be really projectable. Scores goals in lots of ways. Has a knack for tips and deflections out front. Doesn't get enough credit for his finesse ability. He can pick the corners on the move or thread some nice passes through traffic.

First step quickness and speed could be better. But has good balance and agility. For the style he plays, I don't think his skating is going to be a problem.

Will go into the dirty areas and compete physically. Plays in all situations and is very responsible defensively. Throws some pretty big open ice hits. Sticks up for his teammates and is pretty good when he drops the gloves.

Summary: I love this guy and don't know why he doesn't get more attention. I may have him way higher than most, but I'd probably start arguing for him with a 2nd round pick. And if I lost that argument and it came back around to the 3rd round and he was still there, I'd flip over the table to get this guy.

Draft Day: I have to believe there's a team or two who see the same things in this guy I do and will take him in the top 75 picks or so.
http://nhldraftnotes.blogspot.com/20...cton-bchl.html

Quote:
McKenzie could turn out to be the best of the three. The book on him is that he’s a mediocre skater whose stride and glide style gives the impression that he’s a lazy player at times, but he has the kind of offensive instincts and powerful, accurate shot that make him impossible for scouts to ignore. He also plays a physical style and has a willingness to drop the gloves to defend teammates that has a tendency to impress NHL teams and their fans. McKenzie is headed to NCAA runner-up Miami in the fall.

Red Line Report WHL and West Coast scout Mike Remmerde, who operates his own “NHL Draft Notes” blog at compared McKenzie to Kelowna Rockets standout forward Jamie Benn, who led his team to the WHL championship, paced the Memorial Cup tournament in goals (8) and is considered one of the Dallas Stars’ top prospects after being a fifth-round choice in 2007.
http://www.hockeyjournal.com/Article.php?ArtID=1000057

Quote:
Talent Analysis: McKenzie shows his leadership on the ice and his coach validated that by making him captain part way through the 2008-2009 season with the Pentiction Vees. His skating could use a little work but what he lacks in top speed he makes up for in effort. His great work ethic makes him a threat at both ends of the ice and almost very dangerous when it comes to the penalty kill. Uses his size well to win battles in the corner. Some needed strength should come along as his 6'1 frame continues to fill out.

Future: McKenzie had an opportunity to play in the Western Hockey League but chose to go the college route and has committed to the University of Miami-Ohio for 2009-2010.
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/5819

Austin Smith and Curtis McKenzie were teammates in the BCHL.

Quote:
C-Mac made huge strides this year as he earned a scholarship out of training camp, earned a silver medal at the World Jr. ‘A’ Challenge with Team Canada West, played in the CJHL Prospects game in P.E.I., was named a BCHL All-Star, and earned an alternate captaincy in the Fall, after which he was named the Captain of the club when Denver Manderson went down to season ending injury at the end of January. The Golden, BC product also lead all 1991 born BCHL players in point production.

“Curtis has grown a lot in his two years in Penticton… He’s leaving a much better player and we’re proud of that… It couldn’t happen to a better kid. He’s a great teammate, and is an enjoyable kid to coach.” - Vees Head Coach and GM Fred Harbinson
http://pentictonvees.podbean.com/200...fted-by-stars/

Last edited by BigG44: 06-29-2009 at 11:16 AM.
Old
06-27-2009, 11:33 PM
Captain Awesome

vCash: 500
The scouting reports on Vincour kinda suck, some of them have him being an awful skater, and some state it as a strength. WTF?

Quote:
"Skating is a serious flaw. Short, choppy stride and poor balance really hampers his game even at the junior level. Has some straight line speed, but it takes him forever to wind it up. ... Best assets are his soft hands and projectable body. Excellent hands from anywhere below the circles. Jumps on rebounds near the crease. Can create for himself with excellent stickhandling ability in tight spaces. Plays with a lot of energy and desire, but poor skating doesn't allow him to get to loose pucks. ... Doesn't do much defensively. Has more offensive upside, but probably more bust potential."

"Vincour is an exciting and talented offensive player .. skating is his strength, as he has a great first step and climbs quickly to high acceleration .. prone to injuries, he was limited to 49 games this season but put up good numbers with 36 points, including 17 goals .. he's improved on his defensive game but needs to work on man to man defense .. needs to be involved more physically to be effective and utilize his 6-foot-2 frame .. great hands, as he has a quick release off the half ..."
- Randy Gorman, McKeen's Hockey

Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 12:02 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
The scouting reports on Vincour kinda suck, some of them have him being an awful skater, and some state it as a strength. WTF?
I think that is why he fell to the 5th round. He was inconsistent. One scout said that he lacked effort because he's playing on a bad team. The Edmonton Oil Kings are an expansion team. He was their 1st overall pick in 2007, and he's been with them since the beginning. I think some scouts so a motivated Vincour while others so I guy not putting forth his best effort.

If he's giving 100%, I imagine he's a pretty good skater. Plus, he has quite a bit of pressure as a 17 and 18 year old to perform well without many veteran players on the team. The team was very young his first 2 years. They made the playoffs last you, and I hope we can expect an even better team next year for him to play with.

Old
06-28-2009, 12:43 AM
Captain Awesome

I guess that'd make sense but the difference in the reports are so dramatic, one say it's a strength while the other says it is his glaring weakness. Kind of a head scratcher.

Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 09:33 AM
piqued
Global Moderator
go

vCash: 27750
The first positive thing his coach lists in Vincour's video is his skating. I think he has the type of deliberate stride that can trick you visually into thinking he's slow, yet he gets where he needs to go.

Thanks for compiling all this. I'm shocked you couldn't find Reilly Smith video.

piqued is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 10:00 AM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
I'm liking that Vincour pick more and more now. One of only 3 Czechs chosen in the whole draft, here's hoping we picked the best one!

06-28-2009, 12:25 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
The first positive thing his coach lists in Vincour's video is his skating. I think he has the type of deliberate stride that can trick you visually into thinking he's slow, yet he gets where he needs to go.

Thanks for compiling all this. I'm shocked you couldn't find Reilly Smith video.
..... but I managed to dig up some audio ...... ....... even if the hosts are annoying.

Old
06-28-2009, 01:44 PM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

BigG doing yeoman's service. Thanks. Also note with Vincour he came over from the Czech Republic and didn't speak English. He had a huge transition from Europe and I imagine that he still has consistency problems do to culture, homesickness, health, youth and quality of linemates, not to mention just the normal ups and downs of being a teenager.

I won't say he's going to make it and be a fantastic pick but I will say that he's very talented and exactly the type of boom or bust player the Stars should be taking late in the draft. They won't hit on all of them but if they hit on a couple then Les Jackson will once again show that he's an excellent talent evaluator. It should be fun to watch.

Smith and Chiasson need to go to college to work on bulking up and adding core strength. I would be much happier if McKenzie followed Jaime Benn (the Stars should put them in contact with one another so Benn can talk to him about his experience in the WHL) and go on to play for Red Deer. His body is much more physically mature and he could use the stiffer competition, long season of the WHL more than the other two. I won't expect him to make that call but I hope the Stars indicate that's their preference.

As a whole I was surprised by the draft but I've come to learn and trust Jackson's knowledge and feel for young players. His track record is very good overall and there's no reason to doubt him now.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 02:26 PM
BigG44

Great assist and 2 goals from Glennie.

Old
06-28-2009, 02:52 PM
BigG44

Adding this to Alex Chiasson:

Quote:
"I went through everything with them," Chiasson said, with a knowing smile. "They talked to my teachers, they talked to my parents, they talked to my housing parents, coaches, my friends. I went through a lot, more than with any team. I knew it would be Dallas."

"I'm actually headed out to BU tomorrow, so I'll work out there," he said with determined look on his face. "Ya know I'm 6-3, 195 right now and to take it to the next level I need to get bigger, put on some pounds."

"I think I'm going to keep both [goal scoring ability/physical play], I think that's what makes me a good hockey player. When I play physical, that's when I score goals. It's great to say, but that's where it is. I like to go hard and play physical. I think they [Dallas Stars] really liked my work ethic on the ice. I'm a power forward that really likes to go to the net and they really liked me a lot."

"It's not bad being in the top 40 in the world. I'm happy about it."

Some info about his coach in the USHL:

Quote:
J.P. Parise was a two time all-star for the Minnesota North Stars in the early 1970's, and after retiring from hockey wernt on to become a long-time coach in organization. After spending several years as an assistant coach for the North Stars, Parise moved on to become the coach and hockey director at Shattuck-St. Mary's. Under Parise, future NHL stars Jack Johnson, Jonathan Toews, Zach Parise (his son) and Sidney Crosby played for the Sabres before moving on to junior hockey.

Old
06-28-2009, 09:17 PM
Chad_

I have nothing to add at present, but rather I just wanted to thank BigG44 for a job well done on putting the above together.

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 11:14 AM
BigG44

Austin Smith and Curtis McKenzie were teammates in the BCHL.

Quote:
C-Mac made huge strides this year as he earned a scholarship out of training camp, earned a silver medal at the World Jr. ‘A’ Challenge with Team Canada West, played in the CJHL Prospects game in P.E.I., was named a BCHL All-Star, and earned an alternate captaincy in the Fall, after which he was named the Captain of the club when Denver Manderson went down to season ending injury at the end of January. The Golden, BC product also lead all 1991 born BCHL players in point production.
Quote:
“Curtis has grown a lot in his two years in Penticton… He’s leaving a much better player and we’re proud of that… It couldn’t happen to a better kid. He’s a great teammate, and is an enjoyable kid to coach.” - Vees Head Coach and GM Fred Harbinson
http://pentictonvees.podbean.com/200...fted-by-stars/

Old
06-29-2009, 11:23 AM
Starsdude

kudos BigG44-Was out of town with no internet for the draft and you helped me catch up-all in all not that anyone asked I thought the draft was reasonable-MSP seemed to be the choice but Glennie is a good player who would have likely gone at 10 to EDM. Cannot say about the other guys but clearly size is important now-would like to have seen us grab Roy once he dropped out of the fourth round but goalies are a crapshoot- defense will be important at some point but the reality of course is that unless they are top 4 quality they are cheap-

Starsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 01:33 PM
map94

Useless fact of the day...

Scott Glennie and Curtis Mckenzie were both born 2/22/1991. Lasts years draft pick Scott Winkler was born 2/22/1990.

That's 3 out of the last ten draft picks with the same birthday...

map94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 01:48 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by map94 View Post
Useless fact of the day...

Scott Glennie and Curtis Mckenzie were both born 2/22/1991. Lasts years draft pick Scott Winkler was born 2/22/1990.

That's 3 out of the last ten draft picks with the same birthday...
That'll be a hell of a party if they are all ever in Austin or Dallas together.

Old
06-30-2009, 01:23 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Sawada scored on his birthday last year, maybe these guys can do the same when they make the team.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2009, 07:33 PM
BigG44

http://www.stmichaelsbuzzers.com/buz...w/default.aspx

If I have a chance, I'll pull some quotes, but this article about Reilly Smith is great. Some quotes from his coach, and a little insight to the Stars scouting process.

Old
07-05-2009, 08:18 PM
Starsdude

Interesting article on Smith thanks. It seems they really scouted for upside. Guys with international clout like Rajala passed over for Smith. Skating and size look to matter again

Starsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2009, 09:41 AM
BigG44

http://www.bclocalnews.com/sports/50053277.html

_________ found this.

Quote:
For now, McKenzie says his future plans include heading to Miami University in Ohio to play with the Redhawks and study business and accounting. Very maturely, he says that while his ultimate goal is to play in the NHL, he puts equal importance on getting a post secondary education so he has another career to fall back on.

McKenzie says he plans to play a full four years for the Redhawks in order to keep developing his skills in the hopes of signing a contract with the Stars in the future.

Old
07-07-2009, 12:44 PM
Alistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
good for him, it's not a badge of honor in my book to just accept the scholarship to play hockey and then leave after 3 years or whatever. I would be upset if he said otherwise, because if he doesn't intend to stay the full 4 years then he might as well just go play in the juniors.

Alistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 06:56 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
go

vCash: 27750
Some player comps in this recent thread about Glennie. No Stars fans posted in there so I don't know if you guys caught it.

piqued is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 07:32 AM
Sony Eriksson*

New article on Glennie
http://stars.nhl.com/team/app/?servi...ticleid=442496

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2009, 09:43 AM
BigG44

Curtis McKenzie: http://www.bclocalnews.com/okanagan_.../49551937.html

Pretty good article. Talks about how he found out Dallas selected him. He's been working on his skating this summer, and he may join Austin Smith in Dallas for training.

We finally learn why Dallas drafts well late in the draft ...... lol:

Quote:
The next call McKenzie received was from Stars regional scout Dennis Holland, brother of Detroit Red Wings general manager Ken. Holland told the silver medalist with Team Canada West that they were happy to get him that late in the draft.