2009 Dallas Stars Draft Pick Scouting Reports

Old
07-13-2009, 09:18 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistar View Post
good for him, it's not a badge of honor in my book to just accept the scholarship to play hockey and then leave after 3 years or whatever. I would be upset if he said otherwise, because if he doesn't intend to stay the full 4 years then he might as well just go play in the juniors.
I agree it shouldn't be a badge of honor to leave school early. But, I also don't think it is that big of a deal if a player feels like the best thing for his future is to turn professional in less than four years. People have the loyalty debate about college sports all the time, and I really don't think the schools are being screwed over. University programs have sports scholarships for one reason - to put a quality team on the field/court/ice in order to sell tickets/get the schools' name out there. It's all about money. I value higher education very highly and think it's great that right now he plans to play all four years at Miami. He'll learn a lot both off and on the ice. I just don't think it's doing a huge dis-service if he goes and plays 2-3 years of college hockey and then decides he's ready for the next step.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote