HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bolts Owners

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2009, 02:21 PM
DManPreds11

vCash: 500
Bolts Owners

Wish we would've been blessed enough to get those guys instead of the group we have now. I would almost be satisfied if the team moved with an owner that would put money into the team instead of staying around the cap floor hoping "no neck" can get the best out of the group we have. If we do nothing again this off-season I don't want to hear "s"#@! about attendance this season. Oh and the Ellis pick meant to me that Suter is gone after his contract is up, enjoy him while you can, also don't wait to buy his jersey so you can get a few years out of it.

Old
07-01-2009, 03:04 PM
dulzhok

I'd never want the Tampa owners.

But, yeah, our owners/gm certainly aren't putting our team in a position to suceed. Hoping to get lucky with the lowest payroll team in the league will get us nowhere.

Old
07-01-2009, 03:35 PM
Webersmashpuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by DManPreds11 View Post
Wish we would've been blessed enough to get those guys instead of the group we have now. I would almost be satisfied if the team moved with an owner that would put money into the team instead of staying around the cap floor hoping "no neck" can get the best out of the group we have. If we do nothing again this off-season I don't want to hear "s"#@! about attendance this season. Oh and the Ellis pick meant to me that Suter is gone after his contract is up, enjoy him while you can, also don't wait to buy his jersey so you can get a few years out of it.
Are you high? Those owners are terrible, we have owners who are working on the business aspect and with the economy in the ******* kinda got screwed the past two years and yet they still are doing better than Leopold and if this get back up look for us to make some moves. Its much better then SPEND SPEND SPEND then have to deal with a sale because the owners accrued so much debt.

Old
07-01-2009, 03:39 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
blah, blah - contender for worst thread of the decade...
http://www.ontheforecheck.com/2009/6...predators-ever

Old
07-01-2009, 03:44 PM
DManPreds11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webersmashpuck View Post
Are you high? Those owners are terrible, we have owners who are working on the business aspect and with the economy in the ******* kinda got screwed the past two years and yet they still are doing better than Leopold and if this get back up look for us to make some moves. Its much better then SPEND SPEND SPEND then have to deal with a sale because the owners accrued so much debt.
So you like that fact that our Captain the last few seasons has said in the media that the team needs help only to fall on deaf ears not only during the season but in the free agent market as well. Let me clear things up I would like to have owners like the Lighting that isn't scared to spend some money on their team, rather than dwell at the cap floor and hope you team can squeak into the playoffs thus putting you in the middle round of the draft. If we do nothing then don't expect the fans to buy up the teams season tickets because everybody in the central is getting better and we're not so who wants to spend money to go watch your team lose?

Old
07-01-2009, 04:04 PM
Webersmashpuck

Quote:
So you like that fact that our Captain the last few seasons has said in the media that the team needs help only to fall on deaf ears not only during the season but in the free agent market as well. Let me clear things up I would like to have owners like the Lighting that isn't scared to spend some money on their team, rather than dwell at the cap floor and hope you team can squeak into the playoffs thus putting you in the middle round of the draft. If we do nothing then don't expect the fans to buy up the teams season tickets because everybody in the central is getting better and we're not so who wants to spend money to go watch your team lose?
The captain asked for help offensively when we got Sully back, our record after that was pretty good and it that record was played out through the whole year we would have been challenging the Red Wings for the division.

As for us dwelling the cap floor, it is actually around the mid point we will be staying, I think its around an extra 6 million we could spent and while that would get us a good 1st line forward, a bad contract can eat that up just as well. Personally I prefer having owners that keep things safe right now will still having a pretty good chance at the playoffs. Yeah its not sexy like paying 8 million for a Havlat who could get hurt and miss a lot of time, but we have just as good a chance as some of the teams who do that.

Old
07-01-2009, 04:11 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

TBL fan here, our owners are, well, insane. Our recent roster moves have been very good though. So maybe they're turning it around, Prozac ftw!

Old
07-01-2009, 05:12 PM
braindead

I understand the frustration for sure. I nearly drove off of the road this morning when I heard xm204 say that craig liar-pold wanted to open his wallet to help make a big splash for the wild and he had plenty of money to do it. We lived under his tightfisted regime and now, unfortunately, we live with a group that doesn't really have the financial depth to treat this as a toy (or to really even take a risk to invest more in salary in hopes of getting a return on the investment).

Having said that, the Bolts owners are insane. Lots of teams have freespending owners and aren't doing any better than us in the record book. Signing UFA's feels good but it doesn't guarantee that you are any better. Accept the things you can't change and enjoy what we have.

Also, root for a major cap reduction next year as we will be one of the prime beneficiaries of a falling cap.

Old
07-01-2009, 06:53 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Total FAIL.

Old
07-01-2009, 07:22 PM
Jarnberg

If you want to be a hockey fan in Nashville who wants an NHL team, you're going to have to realize that we are not going to be a big payroll team, probably ever. We will not be able to compete with the big dogs when it comes to free agency. We will struggle to resign our young players when they get good enough to warrant big contracts.

In the NHL, there are the haves and the have nots. And of course, we are the have nots. We do not have enough people in Nashville who are willing to pay money to see a NHL team. Scratch that, we don't even have enough people to warrant media attention. The Predators can't even compete with college baseball in terms of media coverage here, because people don't care about hockey. This isn't a hockey market, and likely will never be one.

Our owners aren't rich by NHL owner standards. We depend on revenue sharing to scrape by. We cannot bypass the cap midpoint unless we want to miss revenue sharing.

Our owners don't care about making money with the team. All they care about is not losing the franchise. And they realize that no one in Nashville cares about hockey, save for a few thousand hockey diehards who will support the team no matter what happens. We've thrown out every excuse in the world to try to defend our market. Marketing, good teams, local owners who understand the market, etc. The only thing we haven't had is playoff success. That is our only excuse (well that an a long time to build a fanbase). Color me unsurpised if we ever go on a huge playoff run and it doesn't make a difference here.

Did you honestly wake up today thinking that the team was going to be a player in the free market? If so, you haven't been paying attention. If our owners lose a collective amount of money, they can break the lease. Again, they aren't rich by owner standards.

If you don't want a hockey team here, then do like alot of Nashville does and don't come to games. If you do want a hockey team here, then you need to come to grips with our challenge. Sure, the owners could go blow another $10 million on the lineup. But we were in the red or just making a slight profit this year. Do you feel confident in enough fans showing up to cover the $10 million in new expenses? You better hope so, because else that just added to the ticking time bomb.

I myself want a team here, even if I realize that we aren't going to have the best team always. I realize that we can't compete with the big boys. We have to scrape by. And as painful as this last season was to watch (some of the worst hockey played in our city), it still beats having no team at all. And that is just my opinion.

Now, how to go about increasing fan support is another subject.

Of course, remember, we can improve our team through other avenues beside free agency. And how effective we are at that is another subject too.

Sure, maybe other owners can afford to lose millions. Ours cannot. And I'll take the owners who do what they can to keep the team here.

Old
07-01-2009, 07:58 PM
DManPreds11

Ok Ok so I was p'ed that we wasn't signing anybody again, and I thought we was going to lose Sully. I went overboard by only a country mile with wanting the Botls owners but eh, I love my Preds and don't want them to move EVER!! I know we're not going to sign big free agents and compete with the big boys but atleast keep the ones we have like Sully. I was really goin to be down if he walked, but he didn't so now I'm back in my right mind.... well back in my mind.

Old
07-01-2009, 08:32 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Closed per request