HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

B. Schenn still on the table??

Old
06-28-2009, 11:20 AM
kfernandes29

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vagabond View Post
first as I previosuly said 2010is a weak draft and unless it is a top 5 pick--whoever you'd get would be a project

second--poni is one year away from UFA--so he would be a rentel player

Third--Poni stats are misleading IMO-- The only commen ground leaf fans and other fans have in common is that the leafs need to re-boot most of the roster. Did Poni get so much time becuase he earned or because the leafs had no one else that could play.

Kaberle is the most valuable assit to the deal right now-- but according to most scouting reports--Schenn is better then his brother and long term his is by far the best asset in the deal.

It will be a war all summer over just hoe valuable the leaf players are and what they are worth between leaf fans and fans of other teams.

I like white---but he looks like a career 3rd liner. to me atleast
White is a defenceman.

kfernandes29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 11:25 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfernandes29 View Post
White is a defenceman.
While lined up for about the season on the wing

but--he is a third liner--whether it is on the d or on the wing

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 11:30 AM
Savvy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vagabond View Post
While lined up for about the season on the wing

but--he is a third liner--whether it is on the d or on the wing
White lined up on the wing for about 4 games, not the season...

Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 11:54 AM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Johson for Kaberle?

If LA was really intent on moving some young assets for immediate help, and if they were really interested in Kaberle as a player they want to add, why not just trade Johnson for Kaberle?

Everyone who is thinking/hoping that the leafs can land Schenn from L.A. is doing it with the notion that the Kings want Kaberle, which may or may not be the case. If it's not, I don't see the Leafs having enough assets, besides Kaberle, to pull this off. And if L.A. does want Kaberle, they have enough other assets to put together a package that doesn't include Schenn.

And it makes ZERO sense that the Kings would include Teubert as part of the deal. He is a stud and if they're going to trade Johnson, I can't see them moving Colton as well.

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 12:02 PM
T2M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
If LA was really intent on moving some young assets for immediate help, and if they were really interested in Kaberle as a player they want to add, why not just trade Johnson for Kaberle?

Everyone who is thinking/hoping that the leafs can land Schenn from L.A. is doing it with the notion that the Kings want Kaberle, which may or may not be the case. If it's not, I don't see the Leafs having enough assets, besides Kaberle, to pull this off. And if L.A. does want Kaberle, they have enough other assets to put together a package that doesn't include Schenn.

And it makes ZERO sense that the Kings would include Teubert as part of the deal. He is a stud and if they're going to trade Johnson, I can't see them moving Colton as well.
I think that if these bloggers took the time to listen to what Dean has said to interviewers, it is quite clear what he is doing and how Schenn will fit into that plan. (Look at the history of Lombardi interviews on Rich Hammond's blog at insidesocal or at Gann Matsuda's most recent interview with Lombardi). I think the Kings will sign a UFA defenseman who can play in the number 6 spot for a year as a stay-at-home, teach the kids kind of player. Similar to what Sean O'Donnell did for them this year. They're not trading away Schenn for that. The other thing is that the Kings want players with high character in return. What's freaking Kings fans out is that we want a high scoring left winger but he has to have the right combination of offensive talent AND be a character player with a winning history. There may not be any players like that available, and Ponikarovsky certainly isn't that player. I'm not going to devalue him, but I'm quite comfortable saying that he's not what the Kings are looking for. I don't think the Kings want a Kaberle. They're going to sink or swim with their young offensive defensemen. These rumors are wishful thinking. Please, make it stop. Your feel-good story didn't happen. The other guy who's really gotta be feeling like a loser in all of this is Kadri. Here he is, the team's top pick, and all they can talk about is the one who got away. That's a way to welcome a player into the team's culture.

T2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 12:04 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
Actually Burke commented on the trade when he was miked during the draft. Sorry you had to write all of that
I missed Burke's comment. Could you summarize?

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 12:07 PM
dubey
The Best (per IIHF)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
I missed Burke's comment. Could you summarize?
I don't have a youtube clip or anything but he mentioned nothing going on the trade because of confusion regarding draft picks.

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 12:08 PM
Darth Milbury

Little anecdote about an incident that occurred in the US: This charismatic preacher basically started a cult. He convinced a bunch of mindless followers that judgment day was coming. According to him, the world would end an particular hour on a particular day, but because of their faith, they would all be saved. He then went on to convince his followers that a spaceship from another planet would land on a mountain an the appointed time to rescue them.

So, the preacher and all his followers packed up their belongings and headed to the top of the mountain. And, when the time came, no spaceship appeared and the world did not end.

Now, a logical assumption would be that the preacher's followers would realize that they'd been mislead and that their fantasies of a better life were simply an illusion. Unfortunately, that did not occur. They all convinced themselves that their faith had averted judgment day and that they had saved the world. To this day, the preacher and his followers still view that particular day as holy.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 12:28 PM
backofthenet

Should the Kings take out a restraining order on the Leafs?

It is getting very close to stalking.

backofthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 12:38 PM
seanlinden

Well he's problably too young to play in the NHL this year..... maybe leaf fans can hope he holds out for one extra year and re-enters the draft.... show the kings what happens when you draft a player who doesn't want to play for you.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 12:43 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfried View Post
Well he's problably too young to play in the NHL this year..... maybe leaf fans can hope he holds out for one extra year and re-enters the draft.... show the kings what happens when you draft a player who doesn't want to play for you.
and in two years when he re-enters the draft

Murrey takes him two spots a head of the leafs

Old
06-28-2009, 12:49 PM
Cruel11
Son, just don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
Just as your post indicates a very low level of reading comprehension.

Well he'll sign here in a few years when he's UFA anyways. Hang in there Brayden, it will be ok!!
You got it all wrong. It will be the other way around. Luke seemed more excited than his brother. Hang in there Luke, you'll join you brother and the Kings soon.

Last edited by Cruel11: 06-28-2009 at 12:56 PM.
Cruel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 12:50 PM
Fishhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfried View Post
Yep, a kid whose dream has probably always been to play in the NHL will do that.... Talk about wishful thinking.

Fishhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 12:51 PM
SFKingshomer

Schenn is happy to be with Team Canada's Jr. squad, the LA Kings.

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 01:26 PM
JMFJ 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by backofthenet View Post
Should the Kings take out a restraining order on the Leafs?

It is getting very close to stalking.
This.

JMFJ 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 01:53 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Yeah, Schenn is REALLY going to go to Toronto as an FA, like all those other big named free agents who want to play with the Leafs like Niklas Hagman and Jeff Finger

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 02:31 PM
grabo84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughty Number 8 View Post
Yeah, Schenn is REALLY going to go to Toronto as an FA, like all those other big named free agents who want to play with the Leafs like Niklas Hagman and Jeff Finger
Toronto's never had a problem signing free agents. And really, Hagman was a great signing, no complaints there.

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 02:33 PM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

Don't forget Boyd Devereaux.....Leafs fans know him better as "the guy who cost us Brayden Schenn."

Beauty, eh? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 02:34 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabo84 View Post
Toronto's never had a problem signing free agents. And really, Hagman was a great signing, no complaints there.
I think the over paying for finger is the one that has some of us in the cheap seats confused

Old
06-28-2009, 02:43 PM
grabo84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty, eh? View Post
Don't forget Boyd Devereaux.....Leafs fans know him better as "the guy who cost us Brayden Schenn."
Honestly, winning that last game was absolutely worth it. I wouldn't take back a single thing. I really respect that team for coming out and giving their best effort all the way to game 82.

And really, it was hard to begrudge a guy like Boyd Devereaux making good. Especially against the Sens.

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 02:49 PM
Lario Melieux*

The rumor and this thread are retarded. Burke looks upset when schenn is taken, so hey... "let's start a rumor that Burke is trying to trade for schenn and reunite him with his brother. The leaf fans will eat that one up!"

I hate rumor sites.

Lario Melieux* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 02:52 PM
Smif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
Am I the only person who thinks the media is a total bunch of rods?

Best example: D Dreger. At the start of the draft he "reported" that the Bruins/Leafs trades fell apart because of "miscommunication". Somehow, not only could 2 professional GM's not tell who was getting/giving the pick to even out the value, but DD was trying to sell us that Chia thought that he was getting the 7th overall. IMO, this was just a blatant CYA attempt after TSN reporting a deal was basically done. How in the hell does the 7th overall "mistakenly" get included in a trade? It doesn't IMO, and the press was just blatantly making stuff up before the draft. And somehow - the stuff that was being made up was very Pro-Leafs. I know the posters on the board only were repeating what was in the media - but it gets really old when some homeristic crap just gets made up out of thin air and then people run with it.
So if we shouldn't comment on rumoured deals what should we do around here? Do you like reading the countless "proposals" and commenting on those or would you prefer to comment on things reported by people who have contact with GM's?
No matter how unlikely the rumours are I'd much rather comment on them personally.

Smif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 03:16 PM
cloaked
Go Leafs since '80

Quote:
I know the posters on the board only were repeating what was in the media - but it gets really old when some homeristic crap just gets made up out of thin air and then people run with it.
The author, Garrett Bauman, did try and stress that this is, in fact, only a rumor.

Also, MLHS did know about the Kessel deal before TSN broke it.

cloaked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 03:31 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smif View Post
So if we shouldn't comment on rumoured deals what should we do around here? Do you like reading the countless "proposals" and commenting on those or would you prefer to comment on things reported by people who have contact with GM's?
No matter how unlikely the rumours are I'd much rather comment on them personally.
I have no problem on commenting on rumored deal.

I do have a problem when "The leafs have trade Kaberle for a NHL player & a pick", gets converted to "Kessel & BOS's 1st rounder for Kaberle." There were a ton of people (not necessarily anyone in this thread) that were defending the deal.

There were a TON of BS rumors going around on draft day. My only point is that a significant percentage of them included the Leafs, and they usually had the ML's bending someone over and doing them dirty. That's an indictment of the TOR media more than any sort of commentary on the posters here.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 03:42 PM
Schennanigans
HFBoards Sponsor

As a Leaf fan I really hope this doesn't get accepted. Schenn or Teubart could be good, but they haven't played a single NHL game and are gambles to trade a proven puck moving defensemen, a valuable D/F in White who is cheap but decent, and a 1st round pick that could be better than Schenn that we would lose. I would rather us work on moving kaberle seperately for someone like Kessel than Schenn. And I would rather hold onto White. We could deal Poni for a 2nd or 3rd. I'm over it, we don't need Schenn, I hope this rumour doesn't really have any substance.

Schennanigans is offline   Reply With Quote