HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

B. Schenn still on the table??

Old
06-29-2009, 12:46 AM
cloaked
Go Leafs since '80

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasFrogren View Post
They knew about the Kessel stuff after it was posted on tsn.ca. Give me a break guys.
tsn reported it about an hour after mlhs the morning of the draft according to both their archives.

cloaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 12:48 AM
glucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot723 View Post
How did this thread reach 7 pages? This is ridiculous give it up. Brayden Schenn is not and most likely will never be a Maple Leaf. If anything I think there's a better chance Luke ends up a King rather than Brayden ending up a Maple Leaf.
Yea, it's far more likely that the guy who's already famous in one of the best hockey markets in the world will go to LA, a team that doesn't have as many fans, in a city that for the most part doesn't care about the sport of the players. Especially seeing as this guy has already started entrenching himself in the Toronto community, paying for Canadian soldiers home from Afghanistan to come watch Leafs games. It's far more likely that he goes, when it's well known that Burke loves the brother factor, while Lombardi has not really ever shown that inclination.

Yup, Luke going to LA is far more likely than Brayden coming to Toronto.

Does Brayden really factor in to your team in the near future? How much longer do you think Lombardi plans to spend rebuilding the Kings? You don't think getting a top pairing d-man, a very good 2nd line winger, a 2nd pairing d-man(yea, White is a 2nd pairing guy...right now) who is pure heart and soul versatile player, and next year's 1st is a good deal for a guy who's never played a NHL game, on a team that hasn't even been close to the playoffs since 2002?

You say you don't want to deal Schenn because he's the 2nd line center of the future... he's a few years away from being that, and likely even further away from being a really effective 2nd line center... 2nd line centers aren't hard to come by in the UFA market.

People are reacting as if this trade is a low-ball by the Leafs... when in fact it's a very good deal for the Kings--one that does make sense.

Last edited by glucker: 06-29-2009 at 01:24 AM. Reason: mixed up Schenns :P... changed "Does Luke really..." to "Does Brayden really..."
glucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 12:54 AM
Smif

A couple things...

When this rumour came out I first thought "probably not but I suppose theres a chance". I'll comment on it because what do I know about rumours coming from a good source or a bad one.
I can most definitely see Burke atleast calling DL and talking about it - that is his job afterall (kick the tires).
Now that it's been a couple days and it hasn't been reported on any other site or by anyone else you gotta figure it was made up.

Smif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 01:10 AM
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!

Kaberle is a great defenseman and I think LA would love to have him but salary would have to go back the other way. (JWTFJ) The Kings need to add a key scoring winger while keeping space available to re-sign their young prospects. I still think a demand for Schenn would kill any deal with Toronto.

Last edited by Knight of the Realm: 06-29-2009 at 01:22 AM.
Knight of the Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 01:17 AM
CBGB

Quote:
Originally Posted by glucker View Post
Yea, it's far more likely that the guy who's already famous in one of the best hockey markets in the world will go to LA, a team that doesn't have as many fans, in a city that for the most part doesn't care about the sport of the players.
It's moronic, uninformed, bombastic statements like this that really get my goat.

Isn't Detroit one of the best hockey markets in the world? If Toronto is such a great hockey market, how come you couldn't sign Hossa or any other decent free agent since Curtis Joseph?

If Toronto is such a great hockey market, how come they don't have TWO teams while Los Angeles has supported TWO, one of which has gone to the Stanley Cup finals twice and won once?

Wow! Toronto is one of the best hockey markets! So is Montreal. And Ottawa. And Vancouver. And Calgary! And Edmonton! You're in CANADA! You're SUPPOSED to have one of the best hockey markets.

Much the same as the Lakers are the dominant basketball market.

Quote:
Especially seeing as this guy has already started entrenching himself in the Toronto community, paying for Canadian soldiers home from Afghanistan to come watch Leafs games. It's far more likely that he goes, when it's well known that Burke loves the brother factor, while Lombardi has not really ever shown that inclination.
Tell me, which players in Los Angeles AND San Jose had a player who had a brother also playing in the NHL that Lombardi failed to acquire. Go ahead. Check the teams at hockeydb that Lombardi has been involved in and tell me what players he had on those teams that Lombardi failed to acquire his brother.

As far as "entrenching".... do you think Schenn is going to think about the "community" when he's a UFA and the Kings offer a 12 year 100 million dollar contract that Toronto can't match? Tell me, you could even keep one of the best players to ever wear a Toronto uniform. He wasn't thinking about the "community" when Vancouver offered him 10 million dollars?

My guess is, the Kings are further along than the Maple Leafs are at getting rid of that "haven't won since 1967" tag, and if the Kings are one player away from acquiring that piece that puts them over the top, do you think Schenn is going to be thinking about the "community"? Nope. Money and the Cup. That's all players ever think about. Period. It ain't the "community".

Quote:
Yup, Luke going to LA is far more likely than Brayden coming to Toronto.
True that

Quote:
Does Luke really factor in to your team in the near future? How much longer do you think Lombardi plans to spend rebuilding the Kings?
Well, given Toronto has done it as well since 1967...

Quote:
You don't think getting a top pairing d-man, a very good 2nd line winger, a 2nd pairing d-man(yea, White is a 2nd pairing guy...right now) who is pure heart and soul versatile player, and next year's 1st is a good deal for a guy who's never played a NHL game, on a team that hasn't even been close to the playoffs since 2002?
Since the 2002 season, Toronto has missed 4 times, Lost in round 2 and lost in round 1 - I wouldn't be dissing the Kings if I were you.

And no, a "top-pairing" D-man whose numbers are really NOT that impressive, who has a 4.25 cap hit, PLUS a "2nd line winger"? I think the Kings are STOCKED with those. And White, whom I do like.... for a guy who has never played an NHL game?

Well, considering that players picked in the top 5 AVERAGE playing over 200 games in the NHL, and going back 4 years (the time it takes for a #5 pick to make a difference) you would find Phil Kessel, Carey Price, Blake Wheeler, Thomas Vanek, Ryan Whitney... so yeah, I think I'd rather keep the #5 pick.

Quote:
You say you don't want to deal Schenn because he's the 2nd line center of the future... he's a few years away from being that, and likely even further away from being a really effective 2nd line center... 2nd line centers aren't hard to come by in the UFA market.
Neither are guys like Kaberle

Quote:
People are reacting as if this trade is a low-ball by the Leafs... when in fact it's a very good deal for the Kings--one that does make sense.
No. It doesn't. If it did... Lombardi would have made it.

CBGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 01:23 AM
glucker

Man, I can see why some compare you to Matt Barry...

I'm not even gonna bother

Old
06-29-2009, 01:27 AM
Chea*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruel11 View Post
You got it all wrong. It will be the other way around. Luke seemed more excited than his brother. Hang in there Luke, you'll join you brother and the Kings soon.
LOL Nobody chooses to join the Kings.

Chea* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 01:38 AM
glucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by no dice View Post
this.

My first post wasn't meant to demean the Kings in any way, I was just pointing out that they haven't been near the playoffs in a while, and are probably anxious to get back in... (my second post, comparing the guy to barry might be insulting though )

But this is another thing that you do hear from the Kings more than the Leafs... players wanting out... With the Leafs, it's hard to get our players to leave sometimes, but with the Kings, I can think of Cammalleri wanting out ASAP, as well as apparently Johnson(I could be mistaken) now... that's 2 talented young guys who don't really want to be a part of the team. You'll occasionally hear a player that hasn't really had a good experience in TO speak out against the market after they cut ties with him (*cough* Wellwood) but for the most part you hear guys not wanting to leave/ guys saying they'd love to be back. This lends credence to my claim that TO is a good market. Players know that if they do well, they'll be treated like royalty. Hell, even McCabe, who had a really rough time with the fans, took quite a bit of convincing to actually leave.

Old
06-29-2009, 02:01 AM
Belanger25
ZUES!

Quote:
But this is another thing that you do hear from the Kings more than the Leafs... players wanting out... With the Leafs, it's hard to get our players to leave sometimes, but with the Kings, I can think of Cammalleri wanting out ASAP, as well as apparently Johnson(I could be mistaken) now... that's 2 talented young guys who don't really want to be a part of the team. You'll occasionally hear a player that hasn't really had a good experience in TO speak out against the market after they cut ties with him (*cough* Wellwood) but for the most part you hear guys not wanting to leave/ guys saying they'd love to be back. This lends credence to my claim that TO is a good market. Players know that if they do well, they'll be treated like royalty. Hell, even McCabe, who had a really rough time with the fans, took quite a bit of convincing to actually leave.
It wasn't as much as Cammalleri wanting out as much as Dean Lombardi wanting him out. Cammalleri is a "Me first" player and he will always be one. He's going to go to whatever teams pays him the most money and that's how he'll always be.

Many Kings fans were happy to have him traded, even Dean Lombardi said it, it was only a matter a time, he wanted too much for what he does.

Belanger25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 03:33 AM
aegwillnotwinthecup*

Toronto fans are really offering an established top ten blueliner for an unproven prospect who happens to share the same last name as their golden ray of hope (a shutdown defenseman)? No wonder they've had about as much success as us throughout the last forty years.

aegwillnotwinthecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 03:59 AM
Bandit

Quote:
If guys like Schenn are so easy to come by as UFAs, how about Toronto fans stop wetting themselves at the fantasy that they still might somehow magically acquire him and just go out and get a UFA? This whole "Schenn to toronto" entitlement crap is some of the most ridiculous **** I've ever seen. The pick was never yours. You didn't get him. GET OVER IT.

Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 04:02 AM
Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by no dice View Post
Quote:
this.
Well good thing for you guys the Jason Blakes and Jeff Fingers of the world are beating down Toronto's door. Otherwise you might have to settle for second rate talent...

Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 05:02 AM
Kingsfan1

Can Someone Please Lock This Thread.

How Far Does This Have To Go !!!!

Brayden Schenn Is A King And Will Remain A King , He Is Not Going Anywhere !!

Get The Fuk Over It

Its A Dumb Rumor People Make Up Because They Know Burkie Wanted Schenn Its Not Going To ****en Happen

So ****

Kingsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 07:00 AM
grabo84

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegwillnotwinthecup View Post
Toronto fans are really offering an established top ten blueliner for an unproven prospect who happens to share the same last name as their golden ray of hope (a shutdown defenseman)? No wonder they've had about as much success as us throughout the last forty years.
A few really pathetic Leafs fans. I don't think this deal has a chance of happening, but I wouldn't overpay for Schenn like we'd have to to get Lombardi to listen. If we're overpaying, I'd much rather overpay for a player that can contribute right away, like Kessel.

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 07:22 AM
IBLeaf*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBGB View Post
It's moronic, uninformed, bombastic statements like this that really get my goat.
I think it's the other way around. Here's why!

Quote:
Isn't Detroit one of the best hockey markets in the world? If Toronto is such a great hockey market, how come you couldn't sign Hossa or any other decent free agent since Curtis Joseph?
We are rebuilding. It's not a matter of an unability to sign but a reluctance to sign.

Quote:
If Toronto is such a great hockey market, how come they don't have TWO teams while Los Angeles has supported TWO, one of which has gone to the Stanley Cup finals twice and won once?
Gary Bettman.

Quote:
As far as "entrenching".... do you think Schenn is going to think about the "community" when he's a UFA and the Kings offer a 12 year 100 million dollar contract that Toronto can't match? Tell me, you could even keep one of the best players to ever wear a Toronto uniform. He wasn't thinking about the "community" when Vancouver offered him 10 million dollars?
One of the dumbest things I have ever heard. Too many unreasonable hypotheicals. First, Schenn won't be offered 8.33M for 12 years. Also, Sundin didn't care about the money, as explained by his huge wait to make a decision, and the loads of money he already made in the past. It was strictly about reacquiring the motivation to play hockey and to play for a contender. I guess you like to use major assumptions to support your arguments eh?

Quote:
My guess is, the Kings are further along than the Maple Leafs are at getting rid of that "haven't won since 1967" tag, and if the Kings are one player away from acquiring that piece that puts them over the top, do you think Schenn is going to be thinking about the "community"? Nope. Money and the Cup. That's all players ever think about. Period. It ain't the "community".
Another dumb assumption. Some players don't care about the money. You can figure out some of them all by yourself, I'm sure of it.

Quote:
Well, given Toronto has done it as well since 1967...
This is just trolling now. Luke Schenn is under contract for a few more years and by then, the Leafs wills be reaping the seeds of their draft picks. Plus we have lots of cap space to spend on impact free agents. The 1967 argument shows how focused you are on the argument at hand.

Quote:
And no, a "top-pairing" D-man whose numbers are really NOT that impressive, who has a 4.25 cap hit, PLUS a "2nd line winger"? I think the Kings are STOCKED with those. And White, whom I do like.... for a guy who has never played an NHL game?
Why are you quoting "top-pairing" like you are full of sarcasm (and BS thus far)? His numbers are entirely impressive. Perhaps you can prove me wrong with the few defencemen over the years with better point totals since the lockout (Hint: There's only one). I'm sure rational posters would agree with me anyways.

Quote:
Neither are guys like Kaberle
Wrong.

So in conclusion you really can't tell say whether Brayden will be more likely to join the Leafs in his career or Luke more likely to join the Kings in his career. All you did was expose yourself as a hypocrite with your ignorance, and then proceeded to troll.

Last edited by IBLeaf*: 06-29-2009 at 07:27 AM.
IBLeaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 07:28 AM
mydnyte

Schenn is over rated because his Brother had a decent/good year.

...this reminds me of all the hype over the Staal family, and how over rated everyone is because Eric had ONE great season! (i.e. the Sedins' for example have better numbers over the past 4 seaasons)

mydnyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 07:28 AM
Chea*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
Well good thing for you guys the Jason Blakes and Jeff Fingers of the world are beating down Toronto's door. Otherwise you might have to settle for second rate talent...
Well Jason Blake did have more points than anyone on LA except Kopitar. Heck had he gotten 4 more points he would have been your leading scorer.

Chea* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 07:34 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegwillnotwinthecup View Post

and so what if the prospect could be the next atwcw Yserman!!!

leaf fans--time to move on

Kaberle does not fit in DL plans for the kings--he is builoding a good little war chess of young studs and Schenn fits in with the plans and not a 3 year old d-man

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 07:36 AM
IBLeaf*

I agree. Brayden won't be coming to the Leafs anytime soon. These rumours need to stop.

IBLeaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 08:09 AM
Bryzga lol*

Ridiculous proposal. If L.A. wanted vets they could get better offers from other teams. Adding Teubert in the deal just adds to this proposal. Face it Toronto, Schenn's in L.A. and they couldn't be happier. Their prospect pool is incredibly deep and they'll be cup contenders in a matter of 3 to 5 years.

Bryzga lol* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 08:15 AM
dubey
The Best (per IIHF)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riel View Post
Their prospect pool is incredibly deep and they'll be cup contenders in a matter of 3 to 5 years.
lol

Isn't that what they say every 3 to 5 years?

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 08:17 AM
grabo84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riel View Post
Ridiculous proposal. If L.A. wanted vets they could get better offers from other teams. Adding Teubert in the deal just adds to this proposal. Face it Toronto, Schenn's in L.A. and they couldn't be happier. Their prospect pool is incredibly deep and they'll be cup contenders in a matter of 3 to 5 years.
Contrary to popular belief on HFboards, there's a lot more to becoming cup contenders than drafting a few top ten picks and waiting a couple of years. A lot of things will have to go right, and Lombardi will have to earn his salary in picking up a couple of players for that to happen.

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 08:18 AM
symbology

Quote:
People are reacting as if this trade is a low-ball by the Leafs... when in fact it's a very good deal for the Kings--one that does make sense
It is not a low-ball offer from the Leafs, but that does not mean it makes sense for the Kings.

Quote:
One source claims that Lombardi was later overheard admitting he took Schenn out of spite. The Kings had been targeting Evander Kane, but with Kane off the board at #5, Lombardi took the bold step of selecting the player he knew Burke was desperately after.
This quote of DL's continues to get pulled out of context. WTF, "One Source"? The full text of this interview is available online in multiple locations if anyone cares to read it. The fact that this is being used as "any" basis for this rumor makes this just another very stupid rumor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by symbology View Post
Sorry, but this is just stupid..........
Quote:
And that is just trolling.
I stand by my original post, this is just stupid.

symbology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 08:24 AM
symbology

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabo84 View Post
Contrary to popular belief on HFboards, there's a lot more to becoming cup contenders than drafting a few top ten picks and waiting a couple of years. A lot of things will have to go right, and Lombardi will have to earn his salary in picking up a couple of players for that to happen.
You are 100% correct, and you will not get an argument from most Kings fans. Some of our young players and prospects will have to be moved, and we have been expecting that. However, this deal does not really fit with LA at this time and I don't see DL wasting these assets for this group of players. It just does not make sense.

symbology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 08:25 AM
Darkhorse1280

Quote:

Your calling the OP moronic and uninformed when you're asking a rhetorical question like this one?? Tell you what, if you still don't know, go ask you buddy Gary Bettman why there's a second team in Southern California before Southern Ontario and see if his answer is any less moronic and uninformed than the OP's above. Just because the Clippers are an abysmal failure down there doesn't mean you should assume that another team in or around the Golden Horseshoe area would be as well.

Quote:
As far as "entrenching".... do you think Schenn is going to think about the "community" when he's a UFA and the Kings offer a 12 year 100 million dollar contract that Toronto can't match?
Now I know your anger is clouding your judgment and all but this is a pretty lame comeback here.

Do you really think that the Toronto Maple Leafs, the richest hockey club in the league, will run into this hypothetical problem or just let alone worry if the Los Angeles Kings were to attempt to outbid us for not only Luke Schenn but any player we could match you dollar for dollar for??? Can your team afford to send bad contracts to the minors if need be??? I don't think so, the Lakers and the Dodgers are the rich teams in LA, not the Kings. (no offense Kings fans)

Quote:
Tell me, you could even keep one of the best players to ever wear a Toronto uniform. He wasn't thinking about the "community" when Vancouver offered him 10 million dollars?
Would it kill you to educate yourself about our past issues instead of spouting off your ignorant assertions claiming them to be true???

We were, and still are, rebuilding. Mats knew this and wanted a chance to win the cup somewhere else. It wasn't the fact that he just simply left our organization, but it was HOW he left that gave a sour taste in most Leaf fans mouths.

His hypocritical stance on certain issues, him vetoeing the NTC in his contract etc. It had nothing to do with what we could of offered Mats to stay if we wanted him to stay, but alas, we heading into a new direction so keeping him here wouldn't make much sense now would it? He may have worn Canuck blue (and still might)but Mats will and always be a Leaf for life, we know it and he knows it too.

Quote:

True but let be totally honest here,(no offense to the true Kings fans) but for the most part, no one gives a **** about hockey in LA, so the fact that you've been rebuilding and have missed the playoffs for 8 years hasn't really been in the forefront of most Los Angelinos' minds as you'll always be hidden somewhere in sports section behind the Lakers, Dodgers, even the freakin Clippers for crying out loud!!!. Again, I hate to say it but you guys will always be "the 4th team" and will never have the large following a sports team SHOULD have in a market like LA. And FYI, Some players may think about breaking the bank when they reach UFA status, but some players love to play in a city where their talents are highly regarded and where Hockey is unequivocally the Number #1 sport. So, your right, it ain't the community, it's the community that matters.

Last edited by Darkhorse1280: 06-29-2009 at 12:45 PM.
Darkhorse1280 is offline   Reply With Quote