HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Why Bashing Kovalev??

Closed Thread

Old
03-27-2004, 09:37 PM
Belarus Rocket

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Belarus Rocket
Why Bashing Kovalev??

Ok guys Im pretty tired of hearing everybody saying Kovalev Is useless,sure he Is not what we were all waiting for but Im still happy BG got him.I just think we should stop crying and say he Is a bust ans useless player because he Is not,he was the kind of player we need and BG got him.I can still remeber the reaction of you Habs fan we we got Kovalev,everybody was hysteric(sp) and was happy with the trade,but only 9 games after we say he Is useless and that BG made a bad trade, sorry I don't get It

Old
03-27-2004, 09:40 PM
electric

Kovalev is the best player on this team by a good margin. He's in a big slump right now but is working hard to get out of it... when he gets this thing together he'll control our offense.

But what can you expect from a guy who just spent a year with the Rangers... when you play alongside guys who don't give a damn for a year you kinda lose your good working habits and it's hard to get back to a serious team.

Old
03-27-2004, 09:41 PM
zzoo

Disappointed Kovalev

I am so disappointed in Kovalev.
For his first few games, I really lower my expectation towards him, knowing that he just recovered from an injury and he had to adjust to the new system. However, adaptation time is over, and his recent games really disappoint me. And there is no excuse for that poor performance. He hasn't made any impressive plays, played poorly in defense, he can't manage to bring the puck in the offensive zone, he seems so slow; moreover, he has even missed a lot of shots.

So far, Kovalev has just a single empty-net goal, and another assist also on empty-net. Normally, I am not worried if a player doesn't have a successful stats during certain period of time; as long as he has some chances, it's fine. As for Kovalev, not only he hasn't produced, but he can't create anything offensively. During those last 3 losses, I'm not worried about Koivu, Ryder and Ribeiro, because they did create some chances, and they played really well although they don't have too many points. To me, even Bulis and Begin are a much better player than Kovalev.

The only hope now is that he will wake up during playoff.

Old
03-27-2004, 09:42 PM
AlexandreTheNotSoGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future=Hossa
Ok guys Im pretty tired of hearing everybody saying Kovalev Is useless,sure he Is not what we were all waiting for but Im still happy BG got him.I just think we should stop crying and say he Is a bust ans useless player because he Is not,he was the kind of player we need and BG got him.I can still remeber the reaction of you Habs fan we we got Kovalev,everybody was hysteric(sp) and was happy with the trade,but only 9 games after we say he Is useless and that BG made a bad trade, sorry I don't get It

Maybe it's because he has been useless in the 9 games since the trade? I think people have a right to disappointed with him. He may turn it around and become dominate, who knows. But, as it stands now, i can understand why some fans are upset, but I still hold hope that Kovalev will turn it around and start competing.

Old
03-27-2004, 09:50 PM
Nielson81

Send a message via ICQ to Nielson81
Either way I still do this deal...especially if we sign Kovy, which I think we will.

You guys wait until game 7 of round 1 of the playoffs....overtime....Kovalev scores, because that is what stars do. Then we will hear the same people who have been bashing him, down on their knees calling him god.

I love have Kovalev in a Habs uni and I think people have to realize that Kovy is adjusting to a system he has probably never played in before....he will get the hang of it then look out.

Unbiased Canadian

Old
03-27-2004, 09:50 PM
Moumni_Bachir

Send a message via ICQ to Moumni_Bachir
Why bash Kovalev? Because he's russian!

No, no, just kidding this player is so great he just wasn't able to fit in the system in like 9 games just like any other player would.

Old
03-27-2004, 09:52 PM
Belarus Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbiased Canadian
Either way I still do this deal...especially if we sign Kovy, which I think we will.

You guys wait until game 7 of round 1 of the playoffs....overtime....Kovalev scores, because that is what stars do. Then we will hear the same people who have been bashing him, down on their knees calling him god.

I love have Kovalev in a Habs uni and I think people have to realize that Kovy is adjusting to a system he has probably never played in before....he will get the hang of it then look out.

Unbiased Canadian

Im praying every night for BG to sign Kovy In the off-season

Old
03-27-2004, 09:55 PM
Vicious

Send a message via MSN to Vicious
Kovalev has played in Pittsburgh and New York Rangers all his career... Neither of them is defensive-minded team. Pens sure weren't a defensive minded team when Kovalev had his 95 points season. After 10 years in the league playing offense-first-systems, of course it's going to take him more than 10 games for him to settle to a completely opposite system. Just think about it for a minute.

Some people really need to cut him some slack. He was far from being our worst forward.. Hell, against the Sens he was even one of the select 2-3 who were actually trying to create chances. I'm not saying I'm overjoyed by his performance but I'm sick and tired of hearing everyone say how disappointed they are in him (especially that clown Alain Chantelois).

Old
03-27-2004, 09:57 PM
Belarus Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Komisarek
Kovalev doesn't have the passion and desire he had in Pittsburgh :--------------(
Don't think you can judge this In 10 games,can you??

Old
03-27-2004, 09:58 PM
Vicious

Quote:
Kovalev doesn't have the passion and desire he had in Pittsburgh :--------------(

How are we to know something like that? And if it was the case. he might have lost that in his stint with the Rangers. However, I'm sure it'll come back if we can actually get something going in the playoffs. It'll be his first time back in the spring dance after few years.

Old
03-27-2004, 09:59 PM
electric

Quote:
He doesn't have Straka, Lang, Jagr and Lemieux either.

Old
03-27-2004, 10:03 PM
Belarus Rocket

Quote:
But he doesn't skate anymore hardly, frankly he seems lost out there IMO, i think he needs a hug. =[
Well,one thing Im pretty sure he Don't need Is stupid fans booing him every time he touch the puck

Old
03-27-2004, 10:04 PM
Nielson81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious
Kovalev has played in Pittsburgh and New York Rangers all his career... Neither of them is defensive-minded team. Pens sure weren't a defensive minded team when Kovalev had his 95 points season. After 10 years in the league playing offense-first-systems, of course it's going to take him more than 10 games for him to settle to a completely opposite system. Just think about it for a minute.

Some people really need to cut him some slack. He was far from being our worst forward.. Hell, against the Sens he was even one of the select 2-3 who were actually trying to create chances. I'm not saying I'm overjoyed by his performance but I'm sick and tired of hearing everyone say how disappointed they are in him (especially that clown Alain Chantelois).
This is the same point that I was trying to get across!!!
Give him time, he will learn to play the system and then the offense will come.

Unbiased Canadian

Old
03-27-2004, 10:07 PM
tinyzombies

I was a bit disappointed when I first heard the trade. I have several friends who are long-time NYR fans and I've seen him play enough to know that he's only interested some of the time and can easily be taken off his game with a little shot.

That said, I'm hoping he'll bust out.

I would have preferred Leetch and then dump Brisebois, but you can't have everything!

Old
03-27-2004, 10:07 PM
Belarus Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbiased Canadian
This is the same point that I was trying to get across!!!
Give him time, he will learn to play the system and then the offense will come.

Unbiased Canadian
YES!!! Why can't people just give player time to adjust???I don't get this??Is It an obligation to score 9 goals In 9 games??

Old
03-27-2004, 10:09 PM
Boardish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious

If every habs fans could have your attitude...

Old
03-27-2004, 10:12 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Kovalev has always been a better player in the play-offs anyways....I would just ignore it....

Old
03-27-2004, 10:13 PM
Vicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boardish

If every habs fans could have your attitude...

Ca serait un monde utopique, non?

Old
03-27-2004, 10:25 PM
Zednik

Quote:
Im praying every night for BG to sign Kovy In the off-season
Are you serious ? You would spend let's say $5.5 M, which is about 10% of your budget, on Alexei Kovalev ? Come on, we could get 2 players at $2.6 M way more useful than Kovalev (a good defenseman and a decent winger). No way BG signs Kovalev unless he has GREAT playoffs.

Old
03-27-2004, 10:30 PM
Belarus Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zednik
Are you serious ? You would spend let's say $5.5 M, which is about 10% of your budget, on Alexei Kovalev ? Come on, we could get 2 players at $2.6 M way more useful than Kovalev (a good defenseman and a decent winger). No way BG signs Kovalev unless he has GREAT playoffs.
Yes I would do It for sure,just tell me a name that Is a UFA at the end of the season and would cost you under 6 million and Is a 30-40 goals scorer???

Old
03-27-2004, 10:36 PM
gohabsgo2010

Send a message via AIM to gohabsgo2010
Anyone who bashes Kovalev should be injured by HF members.

Old
03-27-2004, 10:40 PM
Nielson81

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl.roberts
Anyone who bashes Kovalev should be injured by HF members.
I second this JLR...

Unbiased Canadian
PS Great Game Thread today

Old
03-27-2004, 10:45 PM
Belarus Rocket

Ok here Is the line I would love to see next games

Zednik-Koivu-Kovalev
Perreault-Ribeiro-Ryder
Bulis-Dowd-Ward
Langdon-Begin-Sundstrom

I think Kovalev would probably be more happy and confortable(sp) to play on Is natural side.As for the rest I think It would be pretty good,opinion??

Old
03-27-2004, 10:52 PM
Habs4ever

I uinderstand your guys love for Kovalev but

we gave rangers premier prospect to get services of Kovalev for no more then playoff run if he doesn't contribue and play the way we expect him to then what was the gain in acquiring him in first place, he has to start producing soon or he'll lose CJ confidence.

Old
03-27-2004, 11:05 PM
Belarus Rocket

I know some of you are angry that BG gave a verry good prosepct,Balej,for Kovalev but to you I say,MTL already have alot of verry good prospect,Kastsytsin,Higgins,Perezhogin,Komisarek etc,so why not trade one of these prospect for a verry good hockey player who can help us In the playoff.It was the price to pay If we want to get a good hockey player ex: Detroit gave Fleischman to Was for Lang,La gave Aulin for Carter,Col gave Ballard etc etc....

Closed Thread