HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Development Camp thread / July 6 to July 12

Old
07-05-2009, 07:00 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by peperebougon View Post
There are pros and cons...we keep their rights 2 more years before we have to give them a contract. But we have to trust their respective hockey programs and we don't have the chance ( both fans and staff) to see them enough. That bothers me a bit...The amount of games they play is about half than in CHL/AHL. That bothers me a bit too. But hey...nothings perfect!
And as of now, we can't say that since Timmins has been around, that despite picking from there a whole lot, that we were succesful using that NCAA route that much. O'Byrne, Gleed, Wyman, Paquet and Fischer have all either not developed as anticipated or have a lot of questions marks. Even McDonagh because of last year, Timmins had question marks about the coach and the system he was playing into. Remains to be seen how Kishel, Stejskal, Johnson, Quailer, Kristo, Cichy, Bennett and Leblanc will develop into but so far we can't say that we were succesful. The 2 players that look the best as far as our NCAA guys are concerned are....MaxPac and Conboy. 2 guys that have lasted 1 single year with their NCAA program.

By the way, not dissing the NCAA 'cause while I like the Q a whole lot, the NCAA is one of the most interesting league and right up there with what I love to watch. But as far as development of our own players ('cause I do understand that players from other teams that played in the NCAA have developed well...), we haven't been so lucky SO FAR. It can all change though.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2009, 12:06 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
And as of now, we can't say that since Timmins has been around, that despite picking from there a whole lot, that we were succesful using that NCAA route that much. O'Byrne, Gleed, Wyman, Paquet and Fischer have all either not developed as anticipated or have a lot of questions marks. Even McDonagh because of last year, Timmins had question marks about the coach and the system he was playing into. Remains to be seen how Kishel, Stejskal, Johnson, Quailer, Kristo, Cichy, Bennett and Leblanc will develop into but so far we can't say that we were succesful. The 2 players that look the best as far as our NCAA guys are concerned are....MaxPac and Conboy. 2 guys that have lasted 1 single year with their NCAA program.

By the way, not dissing the NCAA 'cause while I like the Q a whole lot, the NCAA is one of the most interesting league and right up there with what I love to watch. But as far as development of our own players ('cause I do understand that players from other teams that played in the NCAA have developed well...), we haven't been so lucky SO FAR. It can all change though.
It's still early though for those NCAA prospects, as Timmins didn't pick many during '03, '04 and '05. Only 3 of 27 picks were tied to the NCAA from his first 3 drafts with the Habs, (O'Byrne 79th, Wyman 100th, Gleed 212th) So the others, while there's been concerns about Fischer, things went great for Pacioretty. Others like Stejskal, Quailer, McDonagh are all looking good in the NCAA with Pateryn doing well. Granted, Johnson, Kishel and Paquet aren't looking good, they were all 7th round picks, so it's not a big surprise then throw in Cepek, Gleed and Korpikari, the 7th round has been brutal for Timmins other then S.Kostitsyn.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2009, 03:25 PM
Top Corner2

Quote:
Originally Posted by peperebougon View Post
My thoughts exactly...
Well technically there is something to lose. $$$ & spots in the 50 man roster.

Top Corner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2009, 05:51 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

it seems like the 1st pratice will be monday at 1:30pm and also on saturday will be the only (i guess??) intersquad game

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2009, 06:22 PM
peperebougon*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Corner2 View Post
Well technically there is something to lose. $$$ & spots in the 50 man roster.
Nope you are wrong... if they are signed by the dogs or by cincy, they don't count on the 50 man roster...

peperebougon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2009, 09:22 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Anybody going tomorrow? And if so, anybody nice enough to post the schedule somewhere so we could have it in advance?

Thanks!

Old
07-05-2009, 09:23 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

Hopefully someone can write a report tomorrow

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2009, 09:26 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Hopefully someone can write a report tomorrow
I wished it would have been me....but there is a thing call work......But I do have some great news!

Chances are I'll schedule one of my vacation week for the rookie camp so you guys would have a daily report.....Not absolutely done yet but it's a strong possibility.

But for this week, let's hope somebody does go and post the schedule. If not, well we'll listen to CKAC and try to have as many reports from journalists that will be there as possible. Though, people shouldn't expect blazing reports out of the first couple of days. If power skating your way from the board to the center ice with an elastic tied to your waist is any fun to describe....though I did find ways to speak about it....

Old
07-06-2009, 12:56 AM
kostitsyn1489

I should be there all week and will try to post a report everyday. Can't wait!

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 01:17 AM
Felix Perreault

I hope that they will invited Andrei Kuchin and Sam Calabrese And Devin MacAusland ... But more Kuchin ... And Ospatchuk was a good idea IMO ...

Felix Perreault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 01:28 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I wished it would have been me....but there is a thing call work......But I do have some great news!

Chances are I'll schedule one of my vacation week for the rookie camp so you guys would have a daily report.....Not absolutely done yet but it's a strong possibility.

But for this week, let's hope somebody does go and post the schedule. If not, well we'll listen to CKAC and try to have as many reports from journalists that will be there as possible. Though, people shouldn't expect blazing reports out of the first couple of days. If power skating your way from the board to the center ice with an elastic tied to your waist is any fun to describe....though I did find ways to speak about it....

You spoil us whitesnake

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 02:20 AM
DaHabMan

what time does the camp start on tuesday and wednesday? Those are the days i'm thinking about going. Thanks in advance guys.

DaHabMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 08:24 AM
ludger

Does anyone know why Gabriel Lemieux is not invited ?

ludger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 08:49 AM
Mustafa*

Does the fact that we dont see Paquet in the invitee list means we realy gave up on him and were not gonna offer him a contract? Or he doesn't qualify for this kind of camp?

I just think we could use a guy like him.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 09:02 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

I'd like to see them sign Lefebvre, he is a good 2 way winger, he should have a nice offensive increase this year in Drum will all the frontline guys leaving.

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 09:36 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
Does the fact that we dont see Paquet in the invitee list means we realy gave up on him and were not gonna offer him a contract? Or he doesn't qualify for this kind of camp?

I just think we could use a guy like him.
Paquet is done as a Hab from what I heard so no he's not getting a contract. I had hoped they would invite him to the camp and at least consider him for an AHL contract and let him play in Cincy next year, but I'm guessing that won't happen.

Old
07-06-2009, 09:38 AM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Interesting choices...

Yes to Wyman, Maxwell, Pacioretty, Weber

No to Chipchura, S. Kostitsyn, D'Agostini, O'Byrne, Stewart

I guess the list mostly makes sense. I'm happy that they're inviting more of our slightly more developed prospects. Hopefully this is an organizational change to work closer with our group of young players and work towards being a great developmental organization like the Wings.

Last edited by Dan K: 07-06-2009 at 09:49 AM.
Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 09:49 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by #11 Saku Koivu View Post
Interesting choices...

Yes to Wyman, Maxwell, Pacioretty, Weber

No to Chipchura, S. Kostitsyn, D'Agostini, O'Byrne

I guess the list mostly makes sense. I'm happy that they're inviting more of our slightly more developed prospects. Hopefully this is an organizational change to work closer with our group of young players and work towards being a great developmental organization like the Wings.
I assume that since there's a new coach in Hamilton, they invited the guys they felt could be in Hamilton and opted not it invite guys that they expect won't be in Hamilton (Chipchura, S. Kostitsyn, D'Agostini, O'Byrne) This way Boucher gets the chance to look at/work with most of his players before training camp opens in september.

Old
07-06-2009, 10:59 AM
JackieChan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHabMan View Post
what time does the camp start on tuesday and wednesday? Those are the days i'm thinking about going. Thanks in advance guys.
They're handing out schedules today in Brossard, I'm sure the info will be here later this afternoon. If it's not, I'll post it when I get back.

JackieChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 11:29 AM
Habsfan18
The Future

Can't wait to read some reports

Old
07-06-2009, 12:32 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

from habsinsideout

Quote:
Is this a great hockey town or what?

It's not yet 1 o'clock, and the parking lot is filling up already at the Canadiens' training centre in Brossard. Admission is free, and the stars (OK, the starters) of tomorrow should put on a good show all week long.

Prospects hit the ice at 1:30 this afternoon. They'll be working on skating drills on Rink 1 and Skills on Rink 2.

That lasts an hour before the Zamboni runs and the groups switch at 2:45. There's off-ice training in the gym from 4 to 6.

Tomorrow's sessions begin at 9 a.m..

Wednesday is devoted to skating tests, which run 1 p.m. to 3:45 p.m.

There will be 9 a.m. starts on Thursday and Friday, and a 10 a.m. scrimmage on Saturday, when the joint will be rockin'.

Camp winds up on Sunday with skating and skills drills that begin at 9:45 a.m.

The Bell training complex is in Brossard. Take the Champlain Bridge south from Montreal, follow the signs for Autoroute 10 East and take Exit 11. The building is huge, and you'll see it from the highway.

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 12:59 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

From HabsInsideOut:

Group A: Alexander Avtsin, Michael Busto, Mathieu Carle, Andrew Conboy, David Desharnais, David Fischer, Olivier Fortier, Mikael Johansson, Ben Maxwell, Tom Pyatt, Ryan Russell, P.K. Subban, Brock Trotter, Yannick Weber, Ryan White, James T. Wyman, Max Pacioretty, Dany Massé, Robert Mayer, Jason Missiaen

Group B: Mac Bennett, Erik Boisvert, Michael Cichy, Gabriel Dumont, Patrick Johnson, Scott Kishel, Danny Kristo, Louis Leblanc, Philippe Lefebvre, Brendon Nash, Joonas Nattinen, Greg Pateryn, Steven Quailer, Joe Stejskal, Michael Testwuide, Dustin Walsh, Gabriel Girard, Joseph Quattrocchi, Petteri Simila

Old
07-06-2009, 01:12 PM
TomPlex

Question: Why was Torp not invited?

TomPlex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 01:19 PM
Amputechture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
From HabsInsideOut:

Group A: Alexander Avtsin, Michael Busto, Mathieu Carle, Andrew Conboy, David Desharnais, David Fischer, Olivier Fortier, Mikael Johansson, Ben Maxwell, Tom Pyatt, Ryan Russell, P.K. Subban, Brock Trotter, Yannick Weber, Ryan White, James T. Wyman, Max Pacioretty, Dany Massé, Robert Mayer, Jason Missiaen

Group B: Mac Bennett, Erik Boisvert, Michael Cichy, Gabriel Dumont, Patrick Johnson, Scott Kishel, Danny Kristo, Louis Leblanc, Philippe Lefebvre, Brendon Nash, Joonas Nattinen, Greg Pateryn, Steven Quailer, Joe Stejskal, Michael Testwuide, Dustin Walsh, Gabriel Girard, Joseph Quattrocchi, Petteri Simila
A lot of very nice names in those groups. I am really glad to see Avtsin in there. This makes me feel like there will be much more of a possibility in seeing him in a Habs jersey one day.

Also, what's the deal with Torp? Has he fallen out of favour with the Habs? Staying in Sweden?

Amputechture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 01:20 PM
Amputechture

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPlex View Post
Question: Why was Torp not invited?
lol...beat me to it! I have been wondering this as well!

Amputechture is offline   Reply With Quote