HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Where were all the Czech draft picks?

Old
06-28-2009, 08:33 AM
Tony Piscotta
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Where were all the Czech draft picks?

Why were there so few players from the Czech Republic taken? For awhile it seemed like they were producing many more players than Sweden and even their Slovak neighbors.

Has Czech hockey fallen on hard times or are these players merely choosing to stay at home or go elsewhere rather than playing in North America?

Tony Piscotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 09:24 AM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
How many were drafted? I know Dallas took Vincour, not sure which of the others were Czech or Slovak (Tatar, Panik, etc.).

06-28-2009, 09:35 AM
jcbio11

Tatar and Panik, both Slovak. From Slovakia also drafted Jaroslav Janus (goalie), Radoslav Illa and Marek Viedensky.
From czech rep. Nestrasil, Vincour and Horak.
Overall bilance - 5 drafted from Slovakia, 3 from czech rep. and two highest profile prospects of the 8 both from Slovakia (Tatar and Panik)
Nothing strange about that, just a weak year from the czech lands. Hockey in both countries ain't doing anything good lately. Hopefully something happens because ice hockey can't lose two critical countries like that.

jcbio11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 09:54 AM
Qvist

If only that was the case. The number of Czechs drafted has been dropping steadily and inexorably for many years.

2009: 3
2008: 3
2007: 5
2006: 8
2005: 12
2004: 21

This is no isolated off-year, this is a steady and gradual decline in the production of Czech talent that has been in evidence for several years, to the point where the CR will become a minor hockey power unless it is reversed, as we must all hope it will be. It would probably be a good start if the top czech talent stopped crossing the atlantic to play in the CHL.

cheers

Qvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 09:56 AM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

Where did Horak end up going?

Vincour was supposed to be their boy... Didn't work out too well.

This draft went to Canada and Sweden easily.

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 10:11 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
Where did Horak end up going?

Vincour was supposed to be their boy... Didn't work out too well.

This draft went to Canada and Sweden easily.
Maybe the first round, but the U.S. had the second most picks overall (behind Canada) with 55.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 10:14 AM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

And the USA...

Canada 106
USA 51
Sweden 24
Finland 10
Russia 7
Slovakia 5
Czech Rep. 3
Germany 1
Belarus 1
Italy 1
Denmark 1

1st rnd
CAN 17
SWE 7
USA 5

2nd rnd
CAN 13
USA 9
SWE 5

ChiGuySez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 10:36 AM
yanokovich

This is scary for the czech,only 3 players.How many good prospects they have for 2010?

yanokovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 10:46 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
The problem with Czech kids is they're not interested in sports of any kind these days and the coaching in juniors is basically done by players fathers who don't know how to teach skills.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 10:53 AM
Pentothal
Listen with one ear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qvist View Post
If only that was the case. The number of Czechs drafted has been dropping steadily and inexorably for many years.

This is no isolated off-year, this is a steady and gradual decline in the production of Czech talent that has been in evidence for several years, to the point where the CR will become a minor hockey power unless it is reversed, as we must all hope it will be. It would probably be a good start if the top czech talent stopped crossing the atlantic to play in the CHL.

cheers
It's a sad state of affairs. I really hope they can turn it around.

Pentothal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 11:15 AM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
The problem with Czech kids is they're not interested in sports of any kind these days and the coaching in juniors is basically done by players fathers who don't know how to teach skills.
This describes kids from an another Central European country as well.

Though you´re right and the Czechs right now face problems in almost all sports, not just hockey, the most significant besides hockey is definitely soccer, which is maybe in even bigger trouble right now over there.

slovakiasnextone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 11:24 AM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:

cheers
Well, I don´t think it´s such a problem when the top players actually come over, worse is the average players coming over.

But, you know, to step them, it would require at least two things:
1. Create conditions for young players in the Extraliga
2. Change the philosophy in the development of young players in many ways, first of all change the attitude "get outta here us soon as you can", though that would require Number 1 to be realized.

Old
06-28-2009, 11:41 AM
Qvist

Quote:
Originally Posted by slovakiaforever View Post
Well, I don´t think it´s such a problem when the top players actually come over, worse is the average players coming over.

But, you know, to step them, it would require at least two things:
1. Create conditions for young players in the Extraliga
2. Change the philosophy in the development of young players in many ways, first of all change the attitude "get outta here us soon as you can", though that would require Number 1 to be realized.
Well, when you regularly lose the top players, that also affects the quality of the junior competition and probably also the mentality of the senior teams, since you will be missing many of the guys who could have shown that using home-produced youngsters in the lineup can actually give some results. Besides which, history strongly suggests those players do not tend to develop well in North America.

Other than that, agree 100%. The Swedish experience may be something to look at. Their resurgence over the past few years is no coincidence. Or for that matter, the Germans in football. It seems to come down to a combination of investing in the quality of training in junior and below, of special development programs on a national and regional level for the most talented players (ref. also the USNTDP) and as you say, a willingness of clubs in the top leagues to use their own homegrown talent.

cheers

Qvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 12:00 PM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Well, when you regularly lose the top players, that also affects the quality of the junior competition and probably also the mentality of the senior teams, since you will be missing many of the guys who could have shown that using home-produced youngsters in the lineup can actually give some results. Besides which, history strongly suggests those players do not tend to develop well in North America.

Other than that, agree 100%. The Swedish experience may be something to look at. Their resurgence over the past few years is no coincidence. Or for that matter, the Germans in football. It seems to come down to a combination of investing in the quality of training in junior and below, of special development programs on a national and regional level for the most talented players (ref. also the USNTDP) and as you say, a willingness of clubs in the top leagues to use their own homegrown talent.

cheers
The things is the quality of the junior competitions would be affected even if the top players stayed at home, because I´m talking here about the players who would have played in the Extraliga if they weren´t in NA.

You now we do have something like the USNTDP over here now with the U20 team in Slovakia and I´m not covinced that it is the things the Czechs need, because in the end it is just a must because of the teams not giving room to young players, but it is always better when a young player learns from the older players rather than playing on a team with a bunch of kids of the same age.

But yeah, the question still remains, how do you make the young players stay at home if you have an about 30 y.o. players saiyng that he would rather play in France than Slovakia. (That´s just an example about a certain Slovak player)

But to saz something positive as well, the financial crisis might be the best thing ever to happen to young players in Czech republic/Slovakia.

Old
06-28-2009, 12:17 PM
cagney
cdojdmccjajgejncjaba

I don't know why the Czechs and Slovaks (Russians too, though they haven't fallen off the way the latter two have) always blame players leaving for the CHL for thier current development problems. To me, it seems the problem must start at the youth level. There simply aren't as many quality players as there used to be. Players don't leave until they're 17 and at that point, the problem is already there. If all these guys stopped going over there I don't think that would change things.

cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 12:29 PM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
I don't know why the Czechs and Slovaks (Russians too, though they haven't fallen off the way the latter two have) always blame players leaving for the CHL for thier current development problems. To me, it seems the problem must start at the youth level. There simply aren't as many quality players as there used to be. Players don't leave until they're 17 and at that point, the problem is already there. If all these guys stopped going over there I don't think that would change things.
We do not blame EVERYTHING on the CHL. But it is a big part of the whole problem, 17 is not an early age but one of the most important times of a player´s development and even in times when Czech republic/Slovakia were still good there was a big number of players who went over to the CHL and later played in the ECHL/AHL and after a few years came back disappointed and lesser players than they were when they left. Just check the IIHF studies on Europeans in the CHL.

Look at Sweden´s draft class, when did most of their kids develop? Oh yeah, the SEL.

Old
06-28-2009, 12:30 PM
Selanne08*

they are all playing soccer

Selanne08* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 12:33 PM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne08 View Post
they are all playing soccer
And what was the last time you checked the results Czech soccer has had lately, they´re in big trouble there as well. It would be better like this:

they are all playing ball hockey, that one is more probable.....

Old
06-28-2009, 12:41 PM
Selanne08*

Quote:
Originally Posted by slovakiaforever View Post
And what was the last time you checked the results Czech soccer has had lately, they´re in big trouble there as well. It would be better like this:

they are all playing ball hockey, that one is more probable.....
dont bash on ball hockey.

maybe they're all playing video games

Selanne08* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 12:47 PM
Lui One Hall

After 2014 Olympics "the Big Seven"(Canada, Russia, Sweden, Finland, Czech Rep., USA and Slovakia) will be "the Big Four"(Canada, Russia, Sweden, USA). It's sad, but hockey is really declining in Finland, Slovakia and Czech Republic.

Lui One Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 12:50 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyduck View Post
After 2014 Olympics "the Big Seven"(Canada, Russia, Sweden, Finland, Czech Rep., USA and Slovakia) will be "the Big Four"(Canada, Russia, Sweden, USA). It's sad, but hockey is really declining in Finland, Slovakia and Czech Republic.
Think any countries are doing the opposite, and rising as the Czechs fall? Germany or Switzerland, perhaps?

I doubt either will start pumping out players of the Jagr or Hasek levels that the Czechs once boasted, but maybe in the future hockey will be more common.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 12:52 PM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne08 View Post
dont bash on ball hockey.

maybe they're all playing video games
I was not bashing ball hockey, I was totally serious, look up the results of Czechs in all categories and you´ll see what I´m refering to

The video game scenario is the most likely one and I´d say it i even more applying for Slovakia. The society in both countries is to blame on this big time, because it is not like they don´t have video games in other countries as well.

Old
06-28-2009, 12:54 PM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Think any countries are doing the opposite, and rising as the Czechs fall? Germany or Switzerland, perhaps?

I doubt either will start pumping out players of the Jagr or Hasek levels that the Czechs once boasted, but maybe in the future hockey will be more common.
Though looking at the draft, we have 1 German drafted and no Swiss, I´m not denying their progress but I doubt they´ll ever be much more competitive than they are today. It´s always up and down betwen the elite and Division 1 for their U18/U20 teams as well.

Old
06-28-2009, 01:06 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyduck View Post
Hockey in Finland isn't declining like it is in Slovakia and Czech Republic. 8 Years ago, Sweden were in a similar position to the Slovaks and Czechs. Things can change, and may well change.

The Czechs are definitely struggling right now, but they do have some very good younger players. Krejci, Hemsky, Frolik and Voracek is a good group. They are in decline in terms of juniors at the moment, but at senior level, they will remain quite competitive, and defnitely way above Germany/Swiss/Denmark for the forseeable future.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 01:15 PM
TMLeafer

I saw on a draft recap on one of the TV channels (TSN or Sportsnet, not sure) and they had a graphic up of how many kids were selected from each country. They had one from the UK. Born in London, England Thomas Larkin went in the 5th round to Columbus. But NHL.com has his country as "IT" which I'm assuming is Italy?

TMLeafer is offline   Reply With Quote