HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

? about Longterm Injury Reserve

Old
06-28-2009, 10:33 AM
Ugene Malkin
Oh..Well!

vCash: 500
? about Longterm Injury Reserve

It does not state how it works from one season to another.

A player gets hurt in the 08/09 season and gets put on LTIR does he remain on LTIR for the start of the 09/10 season, meaning is his cap hit is still off on day one of the season or do they need to go thru the whole 24 day ten game process again?

Mike Rathje is the player I am talking about.

A fan on another board thinks it comes off the books on day one.

I looked in the CBA and it is really not clear and I thought one of you would know more about it.

Ugene Malkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 01:27 PM
shureshot66
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by odds View Post
It does not state how it works from one season to another.

A player gets hurt in the 08/09 season and gets put on LTIR does he remain on LTIR for the start of the 09/10 season, meaning is his cap hit is still off on day one of the season or do they need to go thru the whole 24 day ten game process again?

Mike Rathje is the player I am talking about.

A fan on another board thinks it comes off the books on day one.

I looked in the CBA and it is really not clear and I thought one of you would know more about it.
there is no LTIR during the offseason, so rathje counts against the flyers' cap number right now. it's not crippling, though, because teams can go 10% above the upper limit until the season starts.

as i understand it though, he goes on LTIR the second the season begins. that "24 days, 10 games" bit you mention just means the injury has to be significant enough to keep him out for at least that length of time -- he doesn't have to be out for that length of time before he can be designated LTIR.

the NHL may send its doctors around in september just to verify that rathje is still pretty messed up, but that would be just a formality.

shureshot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 03:17 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Yeah its not a way to acquire players when under cap trouble. Its made for calling players up when up against the cap. As soon as that player is cleared to play he goes back on the payroll.

I don't know were people got the idea that this is a loop hole to acquire players. There is no doubt the Flyers will have to do some cap management before the season starts.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 06:22 PM
Ugene Malkin
Oh..Well!

Thanks for the responces, I just wanted to know if they have to apply each season. I am guessing yes and His cap will still hurt them at the start which is what I was trying to find out.

Old
06-29-2009, 06:44 PM
shureshot66
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by odds View Post
Thanks for the responces, I just wanted to know if they have to apply each season. I am guessing yes and His cap will still hurt them at the start which is what I was trying to find out.
no, his cap number will not hurt them when the season starts. he'll be immediately placed on LTIR.

shureshot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 07:03 PM
Ugene Malkin
Oh..Well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shureshot66 View Post
no, his cap number will not hurt them when the season starts. he'll be immediately placed on LTIR.
OK, I see now, this is what I was trying to find out. Thanks again.