HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

No early contract for Stafford

Old
06-28-2009, 12:46 PM
Tra La La

vCash: 500
No early contract for Stafford

http://buffalonews.typepad.com/sabres/

Quote:
Sabres right wing Drew Stafford is a restricted free agent, but GM Darcy Regier said signing him before the marketplace opens Wednesday is not a priority despite the fact the 23-year-old could attract an offer sheet.

"I think ownership made a very serious statement in Thomas’ case, and I would hope that would send a signal to the rest of the league that as an organization we’re going to protect the assets we have,

Wasn't Vanc going to Offer sheet Bernier? Didn't that lead to the trade? Matching on Vanek isn't going to keep Stafford or Sekera getting offers.

Tra La La is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 01:01 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Maybe they want the picks? Seems like a pretty stupid sense of logic, there.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 01:08 PM
jpb

It's brilliant strategy, really. Pay more than necessary because you're too lazy to get the deal done before an offer sheet comes in forcing you to match.

Stupid ****tards.

jpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 01:13 PM
Vito_81

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpb View Post
It's brilliant strategy, really. Pay more than necessary because you're too lazy to get the deal done before an offer sheet comes in forcing you to match.

Stupid ****tards.

It really is brilliant.

Stafford isn't somebody we need to overpay. I get the feeling he and his agent are trying to squeeze a juicy contract out of Darcy.

By waiting until after July 1. Darcy's options open. Stafford gets an offersheet, we get some picks for him. He doesn't get an offersheet and his price comes down to a more reasonable number.

I'm fine with this. Stafford is no Vanek here. We can definitely afford to let this guy walk for picks which we could use in trades.

Vito_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 01:14 PM
aceface33

You don't sign RFA's before July 1st unless you are going to throw them a bucketload of cash. See: Pominville, Miller. There's no motivation for an RFA to sign early otherwise. And if the organization is not convinced that he's worth that bucketload of cash, they might as well wait. If no sheets are forthcoming, then they can get him signed to a Paille-esque deal. This is a smart approach.

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 01:15 PM
Clock

Protect the assets you have, Darcy? You HOPE no one offersheets him?

Try protecting your limited salary space, ****wit.

Unless Regier wants the draft picks or honestly thinks no one is going to offersheet him (thus potentially driving his price down)... wtf.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 01:18 PM
Vito_81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post

Unless Regier wants the draft picks .
I sure as hell would rather picks than overpaying Stafford.

Old
06-28-2009, 01:21 PM
aceface33

RFA compensation for last year which will be virtually the same this year due to the cap staying the same:
$1,307,811 - $2,615,623 2nd round pick

$2,615,623 - $3,923,434 1st and 3rd round pick

So, under $2.6 mil, matching is a no brainer. The tough decision would come at $3.5-$3.9 mil but is a team really going to give up a first and third for Stafford?

Old
06-28-2009, 01:24 PM
BCS

Stafford can go in a trade or if someone offer sheets him. I'm far from married to signing him, and the reason the Sabres aren't taking it seriously yet is probably because his agent wants too much. Look at what David Bolland just got -- five years, $18 million for one 47-point season. Granted, Bolland is a better two-way player than Stafford and plays a different position, but all these agents care about is numbers. And the bottom line is that Stafford is coming off a 45-point season and is probably looking for $3M-plus.

To that dollar figure, I say no thanks.

BCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 01:25 PM
jpb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito_81 View Post
It really is brilliant.

Stafford isn't somebody we need to overpay. I get the feeling he and his agent are trying to squeeze a juicy contract out of Darcy.

By waiting until after July 1. Darcy's options open. Stafford gets an offersheet, we get some picks for him. He doesn't get an offersheet and his price comes down to a more reasonable number.

I'm fine with this. Stafford is no Vanek here. We can definitely afford to let this guy walk for picks which we could use in trades.
If it works to his advantage, yes, you could call it brilliant. However, the initial quote seems to indicate that Regier would be inclined to match, which if that is the case and they do want to keep Stafford, it's in their best interest to try and get him signed before a potential offer sheet comes in.

It's just more of the frustrating fiddling while Rome burns that we've seen before. We'll never know how hard they tried to sign Vanek before the Oil offered him, but if they just sat around dithered (which wouldn't surprise me) then it was dumb, dumb, dumb.

The fact that not being proactive has burned this team way too many times it just rankles me to see them do things the way they do.

jpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 01:25 PM
Vito_81

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
RFA compensation for last year which will be virtually the same this year due to the cap staying the same:
$1,307,811 - $2,615,623 2nd round pick

$2,615,623 - $3,923,434 1st and 3rd round pick

So, under $2.6 mil, matching is a no brainer. The tough decision would come at $3.5-$3.9 mil but is a team really going to give up a first and third for Stafford?
That's why this is a good move by Regier. You know that Stafford's asking for 1st+3rd compensation money. I'm sure Regier doesn't want to pay Stafford that much. It's a win-win

Someone offers Drew over 2.6, we take the 1st and 3rd without hesitation. If no offersheet comes in over 2.6, we match and keep Stafford around for a reasonable 2-2.5.

Old
06-28-2009, 01:28 PM
aceface33

Quote:
If it works to his advantage, yes, you could call it brilliant. However, the initial quote seems to indicate that Regier would be inclined to match, which if that is the case and they do want to keep Stafford, it's in their best interest to try and get him signed before a potential offer sheet comes in.

It's just more of the frustrating fiddling while Rome burns that we've seen before. We'll never know how hard they tried to sign Vanek before the Oil offered him, but if they just sat around dithered (which wouldn't surprise me) then it was dumb, dumb, dumb.

The fact that not being proactive has burned this team way too many times it just rankles me to see them do things the way they do.
Being proactive got us Pominville's and Connolly's contracts. You got to know when to hold em, when to fold em, etc. In this case I think waiting it out is the right move.

Old
06-28-2009, 01:32 PM
SiriusBizinuez
Jakub might kill you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito_81 View Post
That's why this is a good move by Regier. You know that Stafford's asking for 1st+3rd compensation money. I'm sure Regier doesn't want to pay Stafford that much. It's a win-win

Someone offers Drew over 2.6, we take the 1st and 3rd without hesitation. If no offersheet comes in over 2.6, we match and keep Stafford around for a reasonable 2-2.5.
Additionally, it depends on WHOSE 1st it is. If he is offer sheeted by someone likely to draft in the top 10, take the picks.

SiriusBizinuez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 01:42 PM
buffalowing88

All I can say about this situation is that, I feel as always, people are underestimating Stafford's ceiling. He really is a jack of all trades and that makes it hard to really appreciate him because he is proficient in everything. He has no glaring weakness and the thing that I really like about him is that, unlike about 90 percent of this team, he seems to have some confidence. He seems like the type of player who wont wilt under pressure and physical play. He's going to be a solid contributor on a Philly or a New Jersey one of these days if we let him walk, he just has the demeanor of a winner and a blue chipper, something I have yet to see from Pominville or Roy or the majority of this team.

buffalowing88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 01:45 PM
Montag DP
Sabres fan in...

Quote:

Well of course he's not going to say, "If he gets a big offer sheet we're going to let him go and take the picks." That would be bad for PR and relations between the organization and Stafford/agent, I'm sure.

If Drew were to get a ridiculous offer I sure hope they would actually let him go though.

Montag DP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 02:06 PM
Vito_81

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusBizinuez View Post
Additionally, it depends on WHOSE 1st it is. If he is offer sheeted by someone likely to draft in the top 10, take the picks.
I'd take any 1st round pick for him to be honest.

Old
06-28-2009, 02:18 PM
sabresfan129103

TBH i really don't care if stafford gets an OS. I'm more concerned about sekera. Young puck moving d-men who can eat up minutes are more sought after.

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 02:26 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
TBH i really don't care if stafford gets an OS. I'm more concerned about sekera. Young puck moving d-men who can eat up minutes are more sought after.
I'm with you for the most part.

The only problem is that if we lose Stafford, our RW ranks are abysmally depleted. We'd almost be forced to bring BZK on board as a young rookie.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 02:26 PM
MacOfNiagara
Blue&Gold from birth

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalowing88 View Post
All I can say about this situation is that, I feel as always, people are underestimating Stafford's ceiling. He really is a jack of all trades and that makes it hard to really appreciate him because he is proficient in everything. He has no glaring weakness and the thing that I really like about him is that, unlike about 90 percent of this team, he seems to have some confidence. He seems like the type of player who wont wilt under pressure and physical play. He's going to be a solid contributor on a Philly or a New Jersey one of these days if we let him walk, he just has the demeanor of a winner and a blue chipper, something I have yet to see from Pominville or Roy or the majority of this team.
Disagree with that statement and I have been and am a fan of Stafford. He has a lot of tools, but a weakness in his game IMO is consistency/effort. When he shows up and works hard he is a force and I would sign him to a 3,3.5 contract. But there seem to be a lot of drift around games for Stafford where he does not initiate play and seems to run at less than full speed. He gives flashes of brilliance, but they have been too rare a sight for 3.5+ IMO.

MacOfNiagara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 04:23 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
I'm with you for the most part.

The only problem is that if we lose Stafford, our RW ranks are abysmally depleted. We'd almost be forced to bring BZK on board as a young rookie.
This UFA group also has the most depth at that position though and it would probably force Darcy into making more moves.

/If Stafford goes and Clowe's price goes down I think we might be in the market for him or another RW who's being dangled.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 04:26 PM
Jeremy2020

I don't understand the logic in signing him to numbers he *may* be offered by another team that the Sabres have the right to match...

Can someone explain it to me? Does anyone think he's going to get *more* than 3.5?

So the worst case scenario is you end up paying him exactly what people want to pay him before we find out?

Being GM is harder than it looks, I think.

Jeremy2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 05:51 PM
EndlessNameless9319
Tank Mode Engaged

Send a message via MSN to EndlessNameless9319
Regier: Re-Signing Stafford Before July 1st NOT A Priority

Quote:
MONTREAL -- Sabres right wing Drew Stafford is a restricted free agent, but GM Darcy Regier said signing him before the marketplace opens Wednesday is not a priority despite the fact the 23-year-old could attract an offer sheet. The Sabres were victimized by a bid two years ago when Edmonton signed Thomas Vanek to a $50 million offer, which Buffalo matched.

"It’s something that we balanced out and weighed, and we want to do what’s right for both the player and the organization, and so I think you’re going to see it go beyond July 1," Regier said today after the draft concluded. "I think ownership made a very serious statement in Thomas’ case, and I would hope that would send a signal to the rest of the league that as an organization we’re going to protect the assets we have, we’re going to make decisions that are best for the organization. I think ownership has made that statement loud and clear."

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/...-stafford.html

Drew Stafford is not a priority? Are you f**king kidding me right now? HOW IS DARCY REGIER STILL THE GENERAL MANAGER OF AN NHL TEAM? Re-signing a young, top-6 rightwing powerforward with huge potential before he can be subjected to ridiculous offer sheets that this team won't match is NOT A PRIORITY?!?!?!?!?!?!? WE MUST BE TRYING TO FINISH 30th! This team, and it's management are ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous. I cannot wait until Darcy Regier is fired, and I hope to God he takes Ruff and Quinn with him. We are never, ever going to win a Stanley Cup with the way this team is managed...er..mis-managed. Epic failure. And, if we do match any offers(You KNOW there are teams out there that are going to throw some sort of offer sheet towards Stafford), Stafford will be over-paid, and we'll have even less cap room to work with. Wow, I guess we are really tanking for Taylor Hall next year.

EndlessNameless9319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 05:52 PM
boots electric

shrug, let stafford walk for the picks. if letting stafford walk would give us enough leverage to land a guy like cammalleri in free agency, i'd do it in a heartbeat.

Vanek - Connolly - Pominville

Roy - Cammalleri - Gaustad

mmmmmm that's good

boots electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 05:53 PM
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!

Send a message via Yahoo to BUCKSHOT
you may want to check this thread out ....

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=656097

BUCKSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 05:54 PM
Zip15

vCash: 326
I don't worry about Sekera getting an OS. I've cited it before, but no defenseman has received an OS since the lockout. Add in the fact he asked out of the lineup at an important time last season and he was our worst even-strength defender, by the numbers, and I don't think he is going to command much interest. Two years, $3 million seems fair to me.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote