HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

No early contract for Stafford

Old
06-28-2009, 05:56 PM
EndlessNameless9319
@NBarry19

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to EndlessNameless9319

Drew Stafford is not a priority? Are you f**king kidding me right now? HOW IS DARCY REGIER STILL THE GENERAL MANAGER OF AN NHL TEAM? Re-signing a young, top-6 rightwing powerforward with huge potential before he can be subjected to ridiculous offer sheets that this team won't match is NOT A PRIORITY?!?!?!?!?!?!? WE MUST BE TRYING TO FINISH 30th! This team, and it's management are ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous. I cannot wait until Darcy Regier is fired, and I hope to God he takes Ruff and Quinn with him. We are never, ever going to win a Stanley Cup with the way this team is managed...er..mis-managed. Epic failure. And, if we do match any offers(You KNOW there are teams out there that are going to throw some sort of offer sheet towards Stafford), Stafford will be over-paid, and we'll have even less cap room to work with. Wow, I guess we are really tanking for Taylor Hall next year. Let's not re-sign Stafford for potentially cheaper, and just wait for some team to offer something ridiculous, and pay 2-3 times as much as you would've had you stopped being a retarded, conservative, procrastinating moron and signed Stafford before July 1st. WOW.

EndlessNameless9319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 05:58 PM
Zip15

vCash: 215
Stafford seems to be a very polarizing player. The opinions of him really run the gamut. No matter what happens, I think we're going to see some fireworks once the situation is resolved.

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 05:59 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

I think we should do exactly what Darcy plans on doing, and that's waiting to see what happens. If he gets an offer sheet, we weigh it at length and decide if the contract is appropriate or if we should take the picks.

Or he doesn't get an offer sheet and his price drops. Either way, nice play by Regier. With Vanek we had no choice because of the Co-Captain situation and got housed by the $$ figure of it in the process. With Stafford, we can take our time because no obligation hovers there to sign him at all costs.

Anyone care to speculate someone who would dare try to give Staff an offer? Edmonton?! Vancouver?!

jBuds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 06:00 PM
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!

Send a message via Yahoo to BUCKSHOT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Stafford seems to be a very polarizing player. The opinions of him really run the gamut. No matter what happens, I think we're going to see some fireworks once the situation is resolved.
i think he needs to find consistency

BUCKSHOT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 06:00 PM
Stone87

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresKings2611 View Post

Drew Stafford is not a priority? Are you f**king kidding me right now? HOW IS DARCY REGIER STILL THE GENERAL MANAGER OF AN NHL TEAM? Re-signing a young, top-6 rightwing powerforward with huge potential before he can be subjected to ridiculous offer sheets that this team won't match is NOT A PRIORITY?!?!?!?!?!?!? WE MUST BE TRYING TO FINISH 30th! This team, and it's management are ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous. I cannot wait until Darcy Regier is fired, and I hope to God he takes Ruff and Quinn with him. We are never, ever going to win a Stanley Cup with the way this team is managed...er..mis-managed. Epic failure. And, if we do match any offers(You KNOW there are teams out there that are going to throw some sort of offer sheet towards Stafford), Stafford will be over-paid, and we'll have even less cap room to work with. Wow, I guess we are really tanking for Taylor Hall next year.
He will be 24 this fall. I wouldn't say he has "huge potential"...more like had.

Stone87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 06:02 PM
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!

Send a message via Yahoo to BUCKSHOT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
I think we should do exactly what Darcy plans on doing, and that's waiting to see what happens. If he gets an offer sheet, we weigh it at length and decide if the contract is appropriate or if we should take the picks.

Or he doesn't get an offer sheet and his price drops. Either way, nice play by Regier. With Vanek we had no choice because of the Co-Captain situation and got housed by the $$ figure of it in the process. With Stafford, we can take our time and there remains no obligation there to sign him at all costs.

Anyone care to speculate someone who would dare try to give Staff an offer? Edmonton?! Vancouver?!
Posted via Mobile Device
I don't see Vancouver having the coin to sign Drew, but you never know ....

BUCKSHOT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 06:10 PM
ColonelForbin

I agree it's a good play by Darcy. His agent is probably asking for 3M+ per, which he probably isn't worth considering his inconsistency.

If he gets an offersheet in the 1st + 3rd range, the Sabres can take the picks and use that 3M+ in free agency to grab a player who would probably contribute just as much in the short term. Not only that, but they'd have the picks.

If he doesn't get an offersheet, his price will go down considerably like others have said.

ColonelForbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 06:31 PM
Dabs21Nike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelForbin View Post
I agree it's a good play by Darcy. His agent is probably asking for 3M+ per, which he probably isn't worth considering his inconsistency.

If he gets an offersheet in the 1st + 3rd range, the Sabres can take the picks and use that 3M+ in free agency to grab a player who would probably contribute just as much in the short term. Not only that, but they'd have the picks.

If he doesn't get an offersheet, his price will go down considerably like others have said.
I think this is being handled the right way. People are complaining now but they'd be flipping out if they signed Stafford to something like a 5 year deal worth $18 million. If he's not signed, then obviously he's asking for more than the Sabres are willing to pay. If someone wants to give him a big offersheet over roughly $3 million a year, then we take the picks use that money to sign a UFA and have an extra 1st rounder to maybe make a move at the deadline. I don't see how this approach isn't the right way to handle the situation.

Dabs21Nike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 06:32 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelForbin View Post

Don't count on that part given the Sabres payroll budget unless they can successfully dump salaries already on the books for next season like Hecht, Tallinder, or Lydman.

Right now, they have about $4 million in budget space with which to work before any of their RFAs are re-signed.

They might need to dump some salary just to fit their RFAs in.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 06:57 PM
sabresfan129103

Quote:

i know edmonton wanted him in a bad way in his draft year. how funny would it be if the oilers threw another OS at us.

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 07:13 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
i know edmonton wanted him in a bad way in his draft year. how funny would it be if the oilers threw another OS at us.
Isn't his uncle the equipment manager in Edmonton, too? And didn't Staff have a hat trick against them this year? Uh oh. I think LA's cap space galore could make him a cheaper option than Heatley. I also worry about Toronto. Burke likes talented wingers with size. I could see Burke throwing a short-term deal at a high number at Stafford (i.e., 2 years, $8.2 million), knowing Darcy and Larry will wince at the cap hit number.

Old
06-28-2009, 07:23 PM
Old Navy Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffnoceros View Post
Stafford can go in a trade or if someone offer sheets him. I'm far from married to signing him, and the reason the Sabres aren't taking it seriously yet is probably because his agent wants too much. Look at what David Bolland just got -- five years, $18 million for one 47-point season. Granted, Bolland is a better two-way player than Stafford and plays a different position, but all these agents care about is numbers. And the bottom line is that Stafford is coming off a 45-point season and is probably looking for $3M-plus.

To that dollar figure, I say no thanks.
Bolland got that much also because Chicago bought out some UFA years. Without those 2 years he gave up, the contract would have probably been .5 mil a less on average.

Old Navy Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 08:59 PM
BCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy Goat View Post
Bolland got that much also because Chicago bought out some UFA years. Without those 2 years he gave up, the contract would have probably been .5 mil a less on average.
Very fair point.

As far as trading partners go, I wonder if LA would take Stafford's rights plus Tallinder (it seems they could use another decent D-man) for Stoll. Probably an unrealistic proposal, but it's worth throwing out there.

BCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 10:15 PM
snieds44

Quote:

Or he doesn't get an offer sheet and his price drops. Either way, nice play by Regier. With Vanek we had no choice because of the Co-Captain situation and got housed by the $$ figure of it in the process. With Stafford, we can take our time because no obligation hovers there to sign him at all costs.

I love this play by Regier. I doubt anyone would want to give up a first and a third to sign stafford but you never know. Stafford is likely looking for some good coin that the sabres will not want to give to him. I would gladly take a first and third for him and as someon mentioned earlier, use them to add to trades to get better players. hope this works out

snieds44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 10:32 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1664
Stafford is probably looking for a number that can only come from an offer sheet and Regier is gambling he won't get one. If he gets an offer sheet it probably won't be much different than what he's asking now and the Sabres will match it. There's no point in rushing into overpaying him when there's a good chance he won't get an offer sheet.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 10:39 PM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Am I the only one who thinks he is pretty overrated? I mean when the kid is on he is definitely on, but he's been on our top line for the better part of 2 years now and doesn't have a whole lot to show for it. He works hard in the corners, scores in groups then disappears for weeks.

When Vanek was out of the lineup, we needed him to pickup his game and if I'm not mistaken he was garbage.

If a team wants to throw a ridiculous contract at him in the way of an offer sheet, then so be it. His inconsistencies kill me.

Although, if he doesn't come back, who the hell are going to take our shootout shots?

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 10:46 PM
billsandsabres
nhl 94 aficianado

his last two seasons have been disappointments. a player who has not improved does not deserve a raise.

billsandsabres is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 12:55 AM
Chayos

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
RFA compensation for last year which will be virtually the same this year due to the cap staying the same:
$1,307,811 - $2,615,623 2nd round pick

$2,615,623 - $3,923,434 1st and 3rd round pick

So, under $2.6 mil, matching is a no brainer. The tough decision would come at $3.5-$3.9 mil but is a team really going to give up a first and third for Stafford?
This is from Strickland:

The average salary in todayís NHL is just under $2 million. Compare that to an average of $1.7 prior to the NHL lockout. Every year the NHLPA and the league get together to determine the dollar amounts and the compensation for signing players to offer sheets.

Offer Sheet (AAV)

$994,433
or below
None (compensation)

Over
$994,433
To
$1,506,717
3rd Round Pick

Over
$1,506,717
to
$3,013,433
2nd Round Pick

Over
$3,013,433
to
$4,520,150
1st, 3rd

Over
$4,520,150
to
$6,026,867
1st, 2nd, 3rd

Over
$6,026,867
to
$7,533,584
(2) 1st, 2nd, 3rd

Over
$7,533,584
to
(4) 1st Round Picks

(Dollar amounts to be increased each year per the increase in NHL Ave Salary)

Thatís a pretty big increase when you consider the 2nd round compensation last season was cut off at $2.5 compared to $3.3 this season.

Chayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 01:39 AM
OpethianSabre20

Wow, that compensation is BS. Some team with a decent amount of cap space can come in and give Stafford $3 million and only have to give up a 2nd round pick?!

I'm getting to the point now where I'm hoping that Darcy is shopping him and they sign a proven vet like Knuble to take his spot.

OpethianSabre20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 08:10 AM
aceface33

That's funny. I was sure RFA compensation was based on a percentage of the salary cap.

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 08:24 AM
Kruschiki

The cap didn't go up and most teams tight against the cap. This is the year the sabres have been waiting for.

Not a bad idea to wait on this underachiever.

Kruschiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 09:10 AM
Zip15

I don't think any team is going to be willing to part with a 1st and 3rd for Drew Stafford. He may be able to get a deal for $3 million/year, but the Sabres will quickly match that. I think $3.0/year is the max they should pay for him, but would like to see less.

Old
06-29-2009, 12:06 PM
zbubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresKings2611 View Post
Drew Stafford is not a priority? Are you f**king kidding me right now? HOW IS DARCY REGIER STILL THE GENERAL MANAGER OF AN NHL TEAM? Re-signing a young, top-6 rightwing powerforward with huge potential before he can be subjected to ridiculous offer sheets that this team won't match is NOT A PRIORITY?!?!?!?!?!?!? WE MUST BE TRYING TO FINISH 30th! This team, and it's management are ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous. I cannot wait until Darcy Regier is fired, and I hope to God he takes Ruff and Quinn with him. We are never, ever going to win a Stanley Cup with the way this team is managed...er..mis-managed. Epic failure. And, if we do match any offers(You KNOW there are teams out there that are going to throw some sort of offer sheet towards Stafford), Stafford will be over-paid, and we'll have even less cap room to work with. Wow, I guess we are really tanking for Taylor Hall next year. Let's not re-sign Stafford for potentially cheaper, and just wait for some team to offer something ridiculous, and pay 2-3 times as much as you would've had you stopped being a retarded, conservative, procrastinating moron and signed Stafford before July 1st. WOW.
There are a ton of assumptions in that paragraph there, most which I don't agree with.

I'd start by saying you never say resigning a rfa is a top priority. All it does is drive up the asking price by the agent. The team holds the upper hand in dealing with Rfas and it should stay that way.

Secondly I don't think an offer sheet is coming. Vanek was a guy coming off a 40 goal season when he got offered. Stafford had 20 and anyone who watches him knows he's inconsistent.

Half the teams in the league are in a worse cap situation than we are and there is a ton of free agent forwards on the market that won't cost any compensation other than dollars.

I see it as no big deal.

zbubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 12:14 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Stafford's agent must love the contract Bolland just got from Chicago. Stafford will never have as much trade value as he has right now.

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 12:19 PM
joshjull

As others have mentioned, most teams are in a pretty tough spot in terms of the cap. Which greatly reduces the odds of an offersheet.

Right now his agent is probably looking for what the Sabres consider an overpayment. So from the Sabres perspective why not wait and possibly gain leverage if no offersheet materializes.

Worst case scenario they end up paying more than they would like (similar to his agents demands). But if they wait and no offer comes they should get him for an amount closer to what they want to spend.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote