HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Cowen/Filatov or Schenn/Kadri? *** BUMPED Thread ***

Old
07-08-2011, 06:01 AM
4thliner*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeastOfTheBunch View Post
Take a look at Burke's 1st round track-record, and then compare it with Murray's.

Burke almost everytime picks up a solid NHLer and the BPA in the 1st round.. Can't say the same thing about Murray.
Erik Karlsson 15th overall
Ryan Getzlaf 19th overall
Corey Perry 28th overall

I will agree with you however that GMs get way too much credit on draft picks. Best GMs are those that let their head scouts do their job and stay out of the way IMO.

4thliner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 07:07 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thliner View Post
Corey Perry 28th overall

I will agree with you however that GMs get way too much credit on draft picks. Best GMs are those that let their head scouts do their job and stay out of the way IMO.
Burke never drafted Getzlaf or Perry.

Or are you referring to Bob Murray in Anaheim?

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 08:24 AM
EazyB97

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post

Brian Murray was Anaheim's GM from 02-04

EazyB97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 08:37 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Corey Perry 28th overall

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
Brian Murray was Anaheim's GM from 02-04
Wow, it has been 8 years hasn't it.

Yes, Brian Murray was the man then.

Bob was still scouting for the Canucks then. Time flies I was thinking they were drafted middle of 2000 decade.

Geez only seems like a couple years ago.

Nice picks by Brian Murray there. Who was on his scouting staff then? Let's hope the Leafs guys are as good ...

Old
07-08-2011, 08:42 AM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

vCash: 50
Quote:
Corey Perry 28th overall

Those were great picks, but he missed out on better players in the 1st round when he was the Wings' and Panthers' GM.

The point is, questioning Burke's track record of picking up talent in the later rounds, when he was the 'Nucks and Ducks' GM, is a bit ridiculous considering it's mostly his scouting staff's job in unearthing talent with later picks.

I don't think Burke touched any members of our scouting staff when he came in (infact I think he hired more personnel, although I could be wrong), and they have had success picking up talent in the later rounds.

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 08:59 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeastOfTheBunch View Post
Those were great picks, but he missed out on better players in the 1st round when he was the Wings' and Panthers' GM.

The point is, questioning Burke's track record of picking up talent in the later rounds, when he was the 'Nucks and Ducks' GM, is a bit ridiculous considering it's mostly his scouting staff's job in unearthing talent with later picks.

I don't think Burke touched any members of our scouting staff when he came in (infact I think he hired more personnel, although I could be wrong), and they have had success picking up talent in the later rounds.
It was interesting to read that Burke acquiesced to the scouting staff this year wrt Biggs and moving up to ensure he was landed.

This one is all on the scouting staff. Funny how Burke gives power to his staff and cya's all in one gesture of appreciation.

Burke's the lawyer.

Old
07-08-2011, 09:13 AM
sparxx87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezle View Post
he got a chance with arneil too and he screwed up. Moped in the AHL and for a guy supposedly so skilled, failed to put up the points expected from him.
This.

A cry baby is a cry baby.

This guy couldn't crack the Blue Jackets roster, so rather then busting his ass he fled to Russia.

Kadri is likely as skilled, but has heart to go with it. I lol'd at this thread because it's not even close.

Philly wanted Kadri in both potential deals, Burke said no. Filatov was acquired for a 3rd round pick..... At 18 Luke Schenn made an NHL roster an played top 4 minutes with men.... Cowan was the 7th d man for the junior team.

Anything can happen and all players develop at different rates.... But right now it's not even close.

sparxx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 10:00 AM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

I'm pretty sure that religious fasting is only during certain hours of the day. I believe you can eat after 9pm, up until sunrise.

indigobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 10:03 AM
Pitlick*

Even if Cowen is as good as Schenn, which you can't say as he isn't in the NHL yet, the worth of a guy picked 7th overall (Kadri) whose value has remained the same is far higher than a guy just traded for a 3rd round pick.

Filatov could surprise everyone and become they player he was expected to be, but right now you go with Kadri quite easily.

Pitlick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 10:16 AM
Disclose

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by indigobuffalo View Post
I'm pretty sure that religious fasting is only during certain hours of the day. I believe you can eat after 9pm, up until sunrise.
i believe is when the sun goes down.
without never really asking. they would always mention they were waiting till the sun goes down to "smoke their weed" during the Ramada . i guess its the same for food and all that stuff.

Disclose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 01:10 PM
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigobuffalo View Post

it's true but it will go down everyday

mikebel111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 02:07 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitlick View Post
Even if Cowen is as good as Schenn, which you can't say as he isn't in the NHL yet, the worth of a guy picked 7th overall (Kadri) whose value has remained the same is far higher than a guy just traded for a 3rd round pick.

Filatov could surprise everyone and become they player he was expected to be, but right now you go with Kadri quite easily.
I was quite caught up in the filatov hype but he disappointed me big time three coaches and it still didn't work out for him. So let's see if he has a brighter future in ottawa, I never want to see a good prospect with potential screw up, it's always great to hockey bring new players. So let's see if he shines in your team and organization, but atm the future is bleak.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote