HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cowen/Filatov or Schenn/Kadri? *** BUMPED Thread ***

Old
07-05-2011, 11:19 PM
keonsbitterness

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar View Post
What has Cowen or Hodgson done in the NHL?
Hodgson had an injury, and a misdiagnosed one at that. I think he'll pan out if he can stay healthy.

keonsbitterness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 11:19 PM
Stephen

I would have liked to see the Leafs pick up Filatov for that mid round pick. He still has a ton of potential and we could use that wild card upside in our forward ranks. But of course it looks like Schenn was the right pick out of the two.

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 11:27 PM
thehockeysong
BJ elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by itscameron View Post
Bump.

Well, this is awkward.
oh man that's funny lol

I read this entire thread not realizing it was an old thread. I was losing it.

thehockeysong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 11:30 PM
Tonka
8.5%?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka View Post
Filatov is good, but the problem with Russians are, a lot are very inconsistent in the playoffs. They show up for some games, and some games they disappear. That was the same case for Malkin last year (for some games), Yashin, etc. Nonetheless, I think Nikita Filatov would have been the smarter player to choose last year since he is going to be a player that is going to be worth a lot. Everyone knows he has the skills to get 50 goals, he is a Russian, and they're known for their goal-scoring presence...At the same time, I can really see Filatov disappearing in the playoffs especially when he plays against guys like Niedermayer and Lidstrom in the western conference.
In my defense...I said "he has the skills to get 50 goals".

Tonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 11:38 PM
edwardslane

OMG.. I can't beleive anyone is picking COWEN and FILATOV over..

Luke schenn.. LEADS the WHOLE NHL defence in hits.. plays 20 minutes a game.. lots of blocked shots. and still is slowly increasing his point totals 3 years in a row.

Vs a prospect in cowen?? LOL that has proven absolutely nothing at the NHL level.

Filatov traded from columbus for a 3rd rounder.. once drafted high but who cares. the kid hasn't scored much at the NHL level. Cried about his playtime as a rookie.. seriiously..

Kadri has lots of upside so does filatov.. at least kadri has a great attitude has put up 1ppg in the AHL.. came back strong at the end of the NHL season last year and contributed.

It's not even close luke schenn alone > cowen and filatov. 30 out of 30 Gm's would not trade schenn for those 2 kids.

Lol all that rage only to see it was a bump! Looks like Burke and fletcher drafted the right players

Last edited by edwardslane: 07-05-2011 at 11:50 PM. Reason: didn't know it was a bump Lol
edwardslane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 11:51 PM
arrbez
bad chi

Send a message via MSN to arrbez
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika Zibanejad View Post
Nikita Filatov looks like Topher Grace.
No, he looks like Kristen Stewart.

arrbez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2011, 11:59 PM
S2S
Come at me bros

I wonder what Joepeps thinks. Haven't seen him around in a while, but I remember he was livid at the Leafs taking Schenn over Filatov. Absolutely livid.

S2S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 12:03 AM
KesselLooksLikeRadar*
The People's Champ

Schenn and Kadri. Why is this a question? It's not even close.

KesselLooksLikeRadar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 12:04 AM
JMcLeaf
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by KesselLooksLikeRadar View Post
Schenn and Kadri. Why is this a question? It's not even close.
Check when the question was asked.

JMcLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 12:11 AM
Kulemon

I love how ppl think Filatov will be good. Guy was absolute garbage in Columbus and a cancer in the locker room. If you thought Kadri in year one was bad at defense wait until Sens fans get a load of Nikita LOLOLOLOL!

Kulemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 12:14 AM
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMapleDawg View Post
There's also something to be said for integrity.

Including integrity:

Schenn >>>>>>>> Filatov

He's Canadian. He's not going to the KHL. And he's a man's man. A guy you wanna have a beer with.

Kadri > Cowen

Kadri won't abandon his religious beliefs. Now I'm slightly concerned about him fasting for 40 days, and how it will affect his performance, but the point stands.

Both of our players have tons of potential and tons of character. No wonky knees or questions of fleeting the continent.

Plus we needs Schenn's size, especially over a small guy like Filatov.
With that said I can see Filatov contributing similar to what Kane is playing right now.

Schenn + Kadri >>> Filatov + Cowen

it's 30 days not 40. i'm a muslim like kadri. it won't affect his performance. y would it.

mikebel111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 12:15 AM
Bills09

im shocked but i think Kadris getting a bit underrated.

Schenn and Kadri all day erryday

Bills09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 12:17 AM
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzerlady View Post
Schenn and Kadri.

We got our future captain and our future 1st line centre.

Another positive is we managed to convert about 100 habs fans with this pick.

where did you hear we converted 100 habs fans. oh yeah wait because kadri used to be a habs fan

Old
07-06-2011, 12:20 AM
KesselLooksLikeRadar*
The People's Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLeaf View Post
Check when the question was asked.
OOHHHHH

Makes sense. My bad, didn't see that. Weird thread bump.

KesselLooksLikeRadar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 12:32 AM
Cleatus

Send a message via MSN to Cleatus
Kadri and Schenn easily, and I would've said the same thing two years ago.

Bryan Murray wanted to trade up for Kadri, and there's a reason Burke denied him. Murray is great at drafting, so if he wants to move up for a player he likes, you know that player is really special.

As much potential as Filatov has (he's the Russian Phil Kessel), Schenn was my 2nd favorite d-man of the 2008 draft, and I
wanted him on the Leafs extremely bad.

You guys have no idea how hard I
celebrated when Fletcher traded
up and drafted our future king.

Cleatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 12:41 AM
Kamal007
A$VP

This is perfect, this shows perfectly how each year, HF picks a few prospects with cool names and cool potential to run with. This year it was Mika Zibenzad (cool name, hype from everyone for some reason, even though no ones seen him), Adam Larrson (the Crosby of defensemen, supposedly) and could have been Vicktor Rask, if he didn't fall. The year before it was Nino Niederreiter (AKA El Nino) and the year before that it was Magnus Paarjarvi-Svennson (hyphenated name = bonus hf points). In Filatovs year, it was him. I was caught in the hype as well and I didn't even know why, until I realized years later it was because of this HF thing.

Ya, that's my crazy theory.

Kamal007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 01:02 AM
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient

y are we getting into a fight about kadri's religion. focus on his play then his race. he said at combine. don't worry about my religion just draft me. he needs to pray and fast for ALLAH. he can't help it. Allah will reward him for that. give it a rest. BB cares less about a person's religion and more about his skills. this kid will silence alot of his racist critics with his performence. just watch

Old
07-06-2011, 01:07 AM
Pi

Well one thing I remembered again from this bumped thread is that...2008 was a DEEP draft. Not as deep as 2003 but it's good news for Leaf fans because we also have Colborne/Gardiner who took the NCAA route drafted in 2008.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 01:15 AM
-DeMo-

Send a message via MSN to -DeMo-
Edit: nm didn't realize it was an old thread

-DeMo- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 01:16 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamal007 View Post
This is perfect, this shows perfectly how each year, HF picks a few prospects with cool names and cool potential to run with. This year it was Mika Zibenzad (cool name, hype from everyone for some reason, even though no ones seen him), Adam Larrson (the Crosby of defensemen, supposedly) and could have been Vicktor Rask, if he didn't fall. The year before it was Nino Niederreiter (AKA El Nino) and the year before that it was Magnus Paarjarvi-Svennson (hyphenated name = bonus hf points). In Filatovs year, it was him. I was caught in the hype as well and I didn't even know why, until I realized years later it was because of this HF thing.

Ya, that's my crazy theory.
nice theory was only interested in MPS but even then i was more into tavares and god damn still hope he comes here

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 01:18 AM
Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by -DeMo- View Post
Edit: nm didn't realize it was an old thread
This is an old thread that was bummmmmped by somebody.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 01:29 AM
Nathan Dempsey

That there's this much debate should tell us that this is a pretty even matchup. Here's what will unfold.

Leafs fans will say:
- Luke Schenn was clearly more NHL ready, and, as a result, is farther along in his progression. At 21, he's already accumulated three years in the league, an astounding feat in itself, nevermind his draft position.
- While not the hitter everyone expected — he's not Scott Stevens, who prided himself on career-ending open-ice hits — he leads the league in hits, mostly neutralizing opponents on the boards.
- He's trending upwards in point totals, indicating that, while not an offensive dynamo, he has more skills than he's shown thus far.
- Nazem Kadri is one of the best east-west players the Leafs have seen in a very, very long time. There's vision, confidence and creativity here. But he's also not afraid to be hit or be hit — the hallmark of your typical good-ole Canadian north-south player.
- Despite size concerns — frankly, bulking up may or may not have limited his game — he has translated his abilities to the pro levels, or at least the AHL levels. For an OHLer to be a PPG player in his rookie AHL season is impressive; he's showing signs that he's not out of place in the NHL, either. This doesn't look like a bust to me.
- He has the ability to make players better. His AHL linemates were up to snuff, but playing he made Darryl Boyce look like a legit third liner. Boyce, at this point, is not.

Sens fans will say:
- Jared Cowen has the raw physical tools to be a force: He's a behemoth, and an excellent skater, at that. Where was Zdeno Chara at that age? Way behind Cowen's development, that's for sure. Remember what people thought of Tyler Myers — admittedly, a different type of D-man — in his draft year?
- He rebounded off an injury — and, perhaps, a poor WJC showing as a result — with an excellent season, indicating that he's fully recovered. His injury history, at this point, may not be as significant as it seemed in his draft year, making him a steal.
- He's NHL ready now, or soon. He'll get that experience very, very soon, which should only raise his stock more.
- Nikita Filatov was one of the best pure offensive players in his deep draft year, and he has defensive awareness, too. Once he becomes more acclimatized to the North American game, which, if his AHL stints are telling, is happening, he'll be a force. The shiftiness, creativity, vision and hands can't be taught. Learning how to play in traffic, however, can.
- He came from a system that didn't emphasize, or encourage, his capabilities. It's been said that one of his assets is the ability to cut in off the rush — the east-west game. In Columbus' former D-heavy system, that's considered risky. Given the chance to flourish, he very well just might.
- He's demonstrated the willingness to stay here. He's tenacious, talented and willing to improve as a player — if he actually requested a trade, it's because Columbus wasn't a place to actualize his enormous potential. At the cost of patience and a 3rd rounder in a shallow draft year, Ottawa is the place for Filatov to prosper.

TL;DR I'm a Leafs fan. I choose Kadri and Schenn (and know Nazem and Luke better. You needn't remind me, Sens fans). But biases aside, this is a close one.

Nathan Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 01:38 AM
Eternal Leaf

I'd take Schenn and Kadri.

Even minus the 'homer' aspect of choosing the two Leafs.

Eternal Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 01:42 AM
Canehdian Bacon

Cowen > Schenn?! ARE YOU F***ING RETARDED?

Kadris overall game kills Filatovs. The guy is a one way threat and can't backcheck. Watch Kadri next year and you'll be biting your tongue. I'd take Schenn/Kadri ANYDAY over Cowen and KHLatov.

Go Leafs Go

Canehdian Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2011, 02:19 AM
jughead42*

Its pretty obvious, there's 3 turd sandwiches and a good defenceman. I'm glad we have Schenn, and therefore the winning pair. I'd rather have Schenn/Ellis, or Schenn/Kassian than Schenn/Kadri but you can't win em all.

jughead42* is offline   Reply With Quote