HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Archer to ECHL

Closed Thread

Old
03-26-2004, 06:25 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
Archer to ECHL

Andrew Archer has been sent down to Columbus of the ECHL. Maybe he can be paired with Shasby.

Old
03-26-2004, 06:47 PM
Brisson11

Send a message via MSN to Brisson11
who's Archer

Old
03-26-2004, 06:52 PM
scosar

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
Andrew Archer has been sent down to Columbus of the ECHL. Maybe he can be paired with Shasby.
I hope so. Archer to me is like the kid Harrison in Saint John. I saw both of them play in junior and they seemed like bonafide stay at home dmen types who are both struggling in the AHL. I had hopes for Archer but he didn't seem to have the pace for the AHL. I would like to expect him to pick it up next year as the first year in a mens league is tough for a young dman.

Old
03-26-2004, 06:58 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisson11
who's Archer

2001 Habs picked Andrew Archer in the 7th round, 203rd overall. He's a big stay at home defensemen, who will turn 21 in May. He's got good size and he's solid in his own end, but one concern I have is his lack of offensive and he needs to be more physical for his size, imo. This move should help him and the cottonmouths who are fighting for a playoff berth. We'll see what he can do next year as their might be a few spots open in Hamilton.

Old
03-26-2004, 07:03 PM
Mike8

That's too bad. I thought Archer's made some good strides in his game and looked solid in the AHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisson11
who's Archer
Montreal's 7th round pick in the 2001 draft. Large rangy defenseman, decent potential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scosar
I hope so. Archer to me is like the kid Harrison in Saint John. I saw both of them play in junior and they seemed like bonafide stay at home dmen types who are both struggling in the AHL. I had hopes for Archer but he didn't seem to have the pace for the AHL. I would like to expect him to pick it up next year as the first year in a mens league is tough for a young dman.
I don't know about that comparison. Despite being injured for a good chunk of this season, Archer's made some good improvements in his game. He's a better skater and has much more mobility than he had in camp, positioned himself better so he wasn't easily beaten to the outside and was seemingly more confident in moving the puck and carrying it to center ice.

I thought he was more impressive than Plante or Vydareny.

Old
03-26-2004, 07:09 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
That's too bad. I thought Archer's made some good strides in his game and looked solid in the AHL.

Montreal's 7th round pick in the 2001 draft. Large rangy defenseman, decent potential.

I don't know about that comparison. Despite being injured for a good chunk of this season, Archer's made some good improvements in his game. He's a better skater and has much more mobility than he had in camp, positioned himself better so he wasn't easily beaten to the outside and was seemingly more confident in moving the puck and carrying it to center ice.

I thought he was more impressive than Plante or Vydareny.

Mike I liked what I saw from Archer as well, but Jarvis seemed to not have much confidence in him. I liked the Hainsey Archer duo, as they played together at the last game I was at. Archer backed up Hainsey's mistakes while Hainsey would shoot the puck at will and Archer did little in the offensive zone.

I don't think he missed a good chunk cause of injury, as I don't recall he being injured after he came back from the hernia injury, but he hardly ever played, and even when he was it seemed he was on the bench most of the game.

I have the dogs/moose game on tape, and I'd swear Archer played 1 shift all game in a 6-0 win. He may have played a lot more, but I never saw him on the ice outside of one play. I think next year will be much better for him.

Old
03-28-2004, 03:43 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Archer picked up an assist in his first game with Columbus of the ECHL. Good way to start off down there.

Old
03-28-2004, 05:34 AM
Rather Gingerly 1*

I thought Archer was playing alright in the few games that I saw. He looked better than Dykhuis or Traverse to me. And, at 20 years old, compared to two veteran NHLers, that was quite good.

Closed Thread