HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

Kadri vs Paajarvi-Svensson

View Poll Results: Better? Nazem Kadri vs Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson
Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson (i'm an Oilers fan) 33 16.50%
Nazem Kadri (i'm a Leafs fan) 24 12.00%
Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson (not an Oilers or Leafs fan) 113 56.50%
Nazem Kadri (not an Oilers or Leafs fan) 30 15.00%
Voters: 200. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-29-2009, 07:49 PM
Ward Cornell

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
I voted for MPS mostly because of his speed. But, I do think Kadri is an elite prospect. And, at the end of the day, it would not surprise me if he wound up reaching a higher level than some of the guys who went ahead of him.

This is sort of like choosing between Megan Fox and ScarJo. how can you go wrong?
Kadri also has speed and has speed with the puck!
I've said Kadri originally and I'm more than happy to come back and visit this post 5 years from now!

As far as some are saying MPS and it's not even close.....then why wasn't he chosen first overall, instead of him being number 10?

Ward Cornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 07:54 PM
Chea*

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
I dont see how people can say "MPS and its not even close". Obviously several NHL teams disagree. I admittedly don't know a heck of a lot about either (really, what does the WJC and a few OHL games mean?), but I know enough to say both are very talented and have a lot to prove.

MPS dropped for a reason.....
So did Kopitar.

Chea* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 08:58 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
Kadri also has speed and has speed with the puck!
I've said Kadri originally and I'm more than happy to come back and visit this post 5 years from now!

As far as some are saying MPS and it's not even close.....then why wasn't he chosen first overall, instead of him being number 10?

I'm not saying Kadri isn't fast. And, granted this is based on VERY limited viewing. But, from all I've read, MPS has a faster top end than any other player in the draft.

But, again, I think both are total studs as prospects.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 09:20 PM
It Kills Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by no dice View Post
So did Kopitar.
****.. Paajarvi-Svensson is part Slovenian too?! I knew he was part Finnish and part Swedish.. but wow.

It Kills Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 12:18 AM
mikeo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
And I should also say that practically every single professional in the business had Paajarvi over Kadri before the draft.

Paajarvi-Svensson was well ahead of Kadri on my draft list weeks before the draft and he is now too. So I'm happy.
McKenzie's list showed Kadri was at 8 and MPS was at 10. Real NHL scouts, not wannabes, thought Kadri was ahead of MPS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathFromAbove View Post
I have a gut feeling Kadri will be a bust.
...this pretty much sums it up. Most hfboarders have no idea who Kadri is, they just go with their "gut".

mikeo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 12:48 AM
Chea*

Quote:
Originally Posted by It Kills Me View Post
****.. Paajarvi-Svensson is part Slovenian too?! I knew he was part Finnish and part Swedish.. but wow.
So what you're saying is you believe GM's have a bias strictly against Slovenians?

Chea* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 12:54 AM
Sportacus
:)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsNJ4 View Post
The first Lebanese born about to be NHL player is better.

Who's that? Kadri was born in London, ON.

06-30-2009, 01:22 AM
Smif

[QUOTE=mikeo1;20147791]McKenzie's list showed Kadri was at 8 and MPS was at 10. Real NHL scouts, not wannabes, thought Kadri was ahead of MPS.

Isn't McKenzie's results based on the opinions of 30 scouts or GM's in the league?

Obviously McKenzie doesn't do the scouting himself because he has a full-time job so I believe he gets a bunch of different scouts from a bunch of different teams(maybe all of them) and he uses their ratings to come up with his list.

All I know is I saw Paajarvi around the 3 to 4 hole early in the year and he kept slipping month by month till finally the draft where he goes 10th...that usually indicates something. Kadri was in the 7-10 hole all year and that included the month where he went without solid food because of his broken jaw...that's pretty impressive to me.

Smif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 05:10 AM
the word*

Nothing against Kadri, but if this poll was taken before the draft, it would damn near be close to 100% in MSP's favor. I have nothing but respect for the Leaf fans, who identify themselves, and give their honest opinion. Damn these public polls, I even see some Leaf fans who voted in (not an Oilers or Leafs fan) category, who voted for Kadri. In two or three years it should be pretty clear.

the word* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 05:18 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by the word;2,0149368
Nothing against Kadri, but if this poll was taken before the draft it would damn near be close to 100% in MSP's favor. I have nothing but respect for the Leaf fans, who identify themselves, and give their honest opinion. Damn these public polls, I even see some Leaf fans who voted in (not an Oilers or Leafs fan) category, who voted for Kadri. In two or three years it should be pretty clear.
The poll by the experts who actually saw both players the most happened not right before the draft BUT at the draft!

Ward Cornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 09:09 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo1 View Post
McKenzie's list showed Kadri was at 8 and MPS was at 10. Real NHL scouts, not wannabes, thought Kadri was ahead of MPS.

...this pretty much sums it up. Most hfboarders have no idea who Kadri is, they just go with their "gut".
Real scouts apart from Redline, ISS, THN etc... I get that Leaf fans want to have faith in Kadri and believe that Burke didn't **** up, but really you should be focusing on Burke's trading ability. He is far better at that then drafting, unless he has a top 5 pick.

Kadri will be a fine player, but MPS has more skill speed and size. Before BMac had MPS fall to 10, no one thought that was possible. To paraphrase Pierre McGuire's words, "Not going to happen, anyone passing on MPS to let him fall(to 10) hasn't done their homework" when asked just before the draft about the chance of MPS falling to us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
The poll by the experts who actually saw both players the most happened not right before the draft BUT at the draft!
I can't speak for all, but I had sure seen a number of games of both MPS and Kadri before the draft, and I'm others did too. So why does regular people's opinion not matter in comparing only these two players but it's ok for everything else on this hockey discussion board?

And why was everyone on the leaf board hoping for Burke to call MPS before he called Kadri's name. I've read your draft thread...

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 12:28 PM
Luongo2008*

Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson (not an Oilers or Leafs fan)

Luongo2008* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 11:46 AM
mikeo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post

And why was everyone on the leaf board hoping for Burke to call MPS before he called Kadri's name. I've read your draft thread...
Because MPS was an HFboard sweetheart who's been hyped to death on this board all year. Almost no-one knew anything about Kadri, aside from their "gut feeling" about him. The expectation was that we were going to pick between Cowen and MPS, and given our current needs MPS was the player most wanted. Kadri was a surprise to most Leaf fans, but he shouldn't have been.

And by real NHL scouts, I meant guys in the employ of NHL teams. Not THN.

mikeo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 12:37 PM
arrbez
bad chi

Send a message via MSN to arrbez
Quote:
Originally Posted by no dice View Post
So what you're saying is you believe GM's have a bias strictly against Slovenians?
As Ken Holland once said:

"There's two kinds of people I hate in this world. Intolerant bigots, and Slovenians."

arrbez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 03:03 PM
thefifthsedin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrbez View Post
As Ken Holland once said:

"There's two kinds of people I hate in this world. Intolerant bigots, and Slovenians."
so he hates his own coach?

thefifthsedin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 09:14 PM
Marky9er

Kadri is going to be a popular player in Toronto. MPS is going to **** his pants when he comes to the nhl. This coming from a Detroit fan(I don't hate Swedish players).

Marky9er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 09:26 PM
Professor Dangles

Leafs fan.

I had my heart set on drafting MSP 7th overall, so much that when Phoenix didnt take him at 6th I actually squeeled like a little girl. I was really disappointed in the selection but considering that MSP was passed on by both Dallas and Ottawa the scouts may have seen something that we, members of HFBoards and casual fans did not. I trust the selection made by our staff and have high hopes for NazKad.

Professor Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 09:38 PM
moonknight31

mps not a leafs or oilers fan

moonknight31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 09:44 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 50
Kadri

I Hate Chris Butler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 10:18 PM
camperjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDU View Post
i don;t see kadri as number one centre, not really a two way player, probably a mike comrie like career IMO, but who knows...

MPS is a first line winger IMO, with size
I am a leaf fan, and thats what I think of him too. You took the words right out of my mouth

camperjr is offline   Reply With Quote