HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Manny Malholtra: going, going, gone?

Old
09-17-2009, 08:03 AM
Skraut

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Y'know, I have to admit, I was extraordinarily bitter about that call for a very long time. Drove me absolutely up a wall that someone could somehow think that was some kind of deliberate "distinct kicking motion". I couldn't understand it in any context outside of a deliberate attempt to do us wrong, and so I raged about it for a long time.

But after a while, things calmed down, and eventually, given time and healing, I received something of a revelation. And suddenly it just didn't seem to matter anymore. I gained perspective on the situation, and I realized that in the long run it didn't really matter all that much, and I like to think that thanks to that revelation, I have grown and matured as a hockey fan. I have put that ugly time behind me, and I go forward, more secure in my love of the game and with less anger.

What was that revelation, you ask?

Simplicity itself:

We made the playoffs.
They didn't.

Time, and playoff hockey, cures all wounds.
That "Kick" was the difference between playing Detroit and playing Vancouver. Would there have been the same outcome, probably, but we will never know.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2009, 08:10 AM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
That "Kick" was the difference between playing Detroit and playing Vancouver. Would there have been the same outcome, probably, but we will never know.
That kick, that screwjob we got in Minny and that sketchy call vs. the Devils were 3 points...okay, we still would have faced Van. instead of Detroit, but all three of those had me fuming for a long time.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2009, 08:22 AM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post

We made the playoffs.
They didn't.

Time, and playoff hockey, cures all wounds.
Admirable peace.

But that extra point could've put the Jackets in 6th in the west and given them a matchup with the Nucks instead of Detroit. Maybe Columbus fares better, maybe not. Just saying ...

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2009, 08:26 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Manny uses his superhuman ability to skate on one leg and kick in a goal with the same leg, all in a Herculean effort to get the CBJ a better seed and matchup in the playoffs, and look how the team treats him.

Old
09-17-2009, 08:29 AM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
Manny uses his superhuman ability to skate on one leg and kick in a goal with the same leg, all in a Herculean effort to get the CBJ a better seed and matchup in the playoffs, and look how the team treats him.
Maybe if we'd gotten that call, things would be different.

Distinct kicking motion while on one leg.
It isn't puck-in-breezers, but its pretty ridiculous.

My Buffalo Bills fandom has trained me to expect and accept ridiculous ways of losing. It's been a handy skill at times with the CBJ.

Old
09-17-2009, 08:34 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe View Post
Maybe if we'd gotten that call, things would be different.
Ah. Punishment for not better hiding his intent.

Double-Shift Lassť is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2009, 01:18 PM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
Ah. Punishment for not better hiding his intent.

Pahlsson could have kicked it in without even touching the puck, all the while shutting down the other teams top 3 lines.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2009, 01:21 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
Pahlsson could have kicked it in without even touching the puck, all the while shutting down the other teams top 3 lines.

That's ridiculous Nord!

If all three lines were on the ice, the other team would get called for a penalty before Pahlsson could even shut them down.

Old
09-17-2009, 01:27 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe View Post
That's ridiculous Nord!

If all three lines were on the ice, the other team would get called for a penalty before Pahlsson could even shut them down.
Triple-shift Sammy!

Double-Shift Lassť is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2009, 02:25 PM
CBJCougar

So is Manny going to the Sharks?

CBJCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2009, 02:27 PM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJCougar View Post
So is Manny going to the Sharks?
He had a tryout with them, and rumors are suggesting a deal is in the works. Of course, this is the NHL, so who the H knows.

Old
09-17-2009, 02:31 PM
CBJCougar

Quote:
He had a tryout with them, and rumors are suggesting a deal is in the works. Of course, this is the NHL, so who the H knows.
What I read on Yahoo suggested it was imminent and he would be 3rd line for them. Kinda took me back a little because everything I see here suggests that he feels he's 1st line material.

I hope he finds a good home. I liked him. I'll miss him in the face offs, if nothing else.

Old
09-17-2009, 02:35 PM
dru
Jarmo Unchained

Send a message via AIM to dru
Quote:
What I read on Yahoo suggested it was imminent and he would be 3rd line for them. Kinda took me back a little because everything I see here suggests that he feels he's 1st line material. .
I agree. If Manny signs with the Sharks and ends up being on the 3rd or 4th line there making around $1 million dollars or so I would sure like to know what happened this offseason. I'm starting to wonder if Scott Howson even talked to Manny about a contract at all. Guessing no.

dru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2009, 02:40 PM
CBJCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dru View Post
I agree. If Manny signs with the Sharks and ends up being on the 3rd or 4th line there making around $1 million dollars or so I would sure like to know what happened this offseason. I'm starting to wonder if Scott Howson even talked to Manny about a contract at all. Guessing no.
Does make you kinda wonder, don't it? I dunno. Maybe the hockey world is like everything else and it's hard to find a job now. Maybe the grass looked greener...but really wasn't. Still, being a Shark would not be the worst thing in the world...

Old
09-17-2009, 02:48 PM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dru View Post
Manny was offered a contract and he declined.

Quote:
Does make you kinda wonder, don't it? I dunno. Maybe the hockey world is like everything else and it's hard to find a job now. Maybe the grass looked greener...but really wasn't. Still, being a Shark would not be the worst thing in the world...
He priced himself out of a job and now any job is better than no job. It won't be much of a surprise at all to see him end up playing for less, and on a shorter team, than was offered by the jackets.

It is almost a week into camp, so to suggest that he will be getting now what he initially asked the jackets for would be faulty.

Old
09-17-2009, 02:50 PM
dru
Jarmo Unchained

Send a message via AIM to dru
Quote:
Originally Posted by hashmarks View Post
Manny was offered a contract and he declined.
You don't happen to know the details for that contract do you? Just wondering....

dru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2009, 02:54 PM
hashmarks

Quote:
What I read on Yahoo suggested it was imminent and he would be 3rd line for them. Kinda took me back a little because everything I see here suggests that he feels he's 1st line material.
You must not have read the whole thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feicht View Post
I feel bad that now he thinks he's a 1st line center.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
I have no doubt that Manny realizes that he's not a 1st line center.
Quote:
He's a solid 3rd line center, thats imo is being picky about where he locates with his new family.
Quote:
They both feel like he is a better player than Pahlsson and can't understand why the gave Pahlsson the money they did and we wouldn't sniff 2 million per for him. His numbers were better than Sammy's last year, and from his perspective, I can understand why he is on that line of thinking.

However we are 4 days into camp and he has turned down 3 respectable offers and he is jobless. Something has got to give if he wants to play in the league.

Next year there will be that many more Manny type players flooding the market and he will be a year older and a year out of the league (although I don't see him going all year without a job, but he might).

Even though he has made his bed, I feel bad for him. I really liked Manny as a guy and he was a big help for us last year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renion View Post
Brings versatility to a team. He can be put into any number of positions if a player is injured, including the top six--as long as it isn't for a great length of time. He usually gets an initial boost by playing higher than he should, but his production will drop off. Ideally, he's on the third line.
Edit: And I'd love it if he gets a spot on the Sharks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz View Post
Howson decided we needed an actual shutdown center, one with a Selke nom, and ponied up the money for him. What Malhotra and his agent missed is that not all contracts are based on the amount of points you make, there are other areas to the game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugg View Post
Comparing their numbers is almost like apples and oranges. Manny centered Nash and Juice for most of the year. I saw many instances in where he was out of place on that line. He's meant for the third or fourth line.
Quote:
Versatile player, and like Renion said, can play higher in the lineup for a period of time and won't hurt you, but won't always help either. He is a 4th line center that is a good pk'er, not a 3rd liner (that is if you use your 3rd line as a shutdown line) because he can't shut a game down.

I wonder if he is taking less to play in SJ. SJ would be a good place for him and might make his 'holdout' worthwhile. They are a good team and could go places.

I agree, and I hope Pahlsson turns out to be worth the 600 000 more than Manny was asking.

Old
09-17-2009, 02:58 PM
blahblah

Quote:
because everything I see here suggests that he feels he's 1st line material.
Ok, this gives me real pause. Neither Manny nor his agent could make the case he was top line material. There is no evidence to support the line of thinking that he thought he was.

Some suggesting that he is are, likely, just playing the greedy player/agent card.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2009, 03:27 PM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:

I hope he finds a good home. I liked him. I'll miss him in the face offs, if nothing else.

I know this isn't the easiest thread to follow, and its mostly speculation Cougar. We know from the paper/blogs that he and Howson met and exchanged offers in June/July, but no deal was made. Howson has made comments basically saying the gap between what is being offered and what is being asked for is significant. Does that mean Manny asked for 4.5 million? Does that mean Howson offered 1 million? Who knows, we'll probably never know.

The other bit of info I remember reading was that Manny turned down an offer to go to ATL for 2 million a year. Again, this is all hear say and I can't back it up with hard facts.

Old
09-17-2009, 03:29 PM
Stej
Good Canadian Kid!

My 2 cents: Howson is using Manny as the poster boy for "agree to a reasonable contract quickly, or we'll move on without you". The fact that Howson stuck to his guns with Manny has to put a bit of fear into the other players that need to be extended in the near future (assuming they want to stay with Columbus), meaning they'll be less likely to screw around playing hardball. I think Manny wanted to stay, he just didn't make up his mind quick enough and Howson moved on.

Howson obviously has a plan and he's sticking to it. I really liked Manny, but I like Howson's plan better.

Stej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2009, 03:33 PM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ--A--N View Post
Howson obviously has a plan and he's sticking to it. I really liked Manny, but I like Howson's plan better.
"Like the player, love the team".

Old
09-17-2009, 03:42 PM
Stej
Good Canadian Kid!

Quote:
"Like the player, love the team".
True dat. Fits well with my relationship with the Jackets - started following them because a buddy got drafted in 2001 and now I'm a fan for life regardless...

Stej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2009, 03:44 PM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ--A--N View Post
My 2 cents: Howson is using Manny as the poster boy for "agree to a reasonable contract quickly, or we'll move on without you". The fact that Howson stuck to his guns with Manny has to put a bit of fear into the other players that need to be extended in the near future (assuming they want to stay with Columbus), meaning they'll be less likely to screw around playing hardball. I think Manny wanted to stay, he just didn't make up his mind quick enough and Howson moved on.

I like your theory, and makes sense too.

Old
09-17-2009, 03:48 PM
gonegonegone*

First Shelley and now Malhotra, we seem to like your bottom fwds.

What would be your guess on his offensive upside on the third line, playing with Mitchell (he's hit 20 pts, maybe good for 30 this year if he stays healthy) and McGinn (probably good for 20 pts)?

gonegonegone* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2009, 03:52 PM
Feicht

Send a message via AIM to Feicht
I'd say 20 pts maybe.

Feicht is offline   Reply With Quote