HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

July 1: Free Agency Day -- (Knuble update #598)

Closed Thread

Old
06-30-2009, 10:27 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerX View Post
I'd give my right arm to make three quarters of a million dollars a year as a backup goalie. Not to mention all the money I'd make from my motivational book about being a one-armed NHL goaltender.
Nice

Old
06-30-2009, 10:28 PM
billandsebastian

Does anyone know if the Bruins are considering bringing Rex back? Just thinking in terms of potential suitors for Knuble and last-choice possibilities for us replacing him.

Old
06-30-2009, 10:29 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Eklund now rubbing his jade monkey off on the side. LOL ... I have no idea, but it sounds dirty.

Old
06-30-2009, 10:30 PM
FlyerX

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
No one, sadly.

No he's not. He will be, I think, but not yet. I just don't see the Flyers thinking there going to win a Cup with a second year defenseman logging 25 minutes.
He won't play 25 minutes. I'd rather use forwards at both points on a power play than him unless I've got a big lead late in a game. He's already really good defensively. He handles elite players especially well.

Old
06-30-2009, 10:30 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
I like Knuble, and want him to stay, but if he thinks hes worth more than Lehtinen, Guerin, and Tkachuk, then let someone else pay him

Old
06-30-2009, 10:31 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
If anyone wants to listen to Edmonton sports radio, there is discussion about the trade -- http://player.theteam1260.com/player

I put on Ottawa radio and Joe Morgan said "Manny Ramirez" three times in eight seconds. I assume the trade isn't being discussed.
I detest Joe Morgan, even more than he hates the Phillies... but I'm not supposed to be unbiased.

Old
06-30-2009, 10:32 PM
billandsebastian

Quote:
He won't play 25 minutes. I'd rather use forwards at both points on a power play than him unless I've got a big lead late in a game. He's already really good defensively. He handles elite players especially well.
I feel like he got stronger on the puck this past year. He's not the most physical, so I'd like to see him grow into that role maybe a little bit more, along with working on the outlet pass. I think he's going to be a great #3/4 for us for awhile.

Old
06-30-2009, 10:32 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by billandsebastian View Post
Does anyone know if the Bruins are considering bringing Rex back? Just thinking in terms of potential suitors for Knuble and last-choice possibilities for us replacing him.
http://www2.nesn.com/boston-bruins/2...n-free-agency/

Quote:

As far as what Chiarelli will be dealing with from the rest of his 2008-09 roster, Phil Kessel, Byron Bitz and Matt Hunwick become restricted free agents Wednesday. Mark Recchi, P.J. Axelsson, Stephane Yelle and Manny Fernandez will become unrestricted free agents. Peter Schaefer was bought out Tuesday, which adds $700,000 back to the pot in 2009-10 and 2010-11.

Chiarelli said that he has spoken with Recchi, Axelsson, Yelle, Bitz and Hunwick and — if the situation is right — expressed an interest in bringing all of the UFA’s back except Fernandez. He’s also focused on bringing Hunwick and Bitz back into the fold as well. The latter two can receive offer sheets from other teams, but despite admitting that he has enough cap room, Chiarelli surprisingly stated he would still wait until Wednesday or later in the week to lock them in.

“We have room to sign our guys at what they’re asking tonight, but we’re not going to do it,” he said in the conference call. “There’s a risk allowing these guys to go out unsigned into the market place, I understand that. That’s a risk we’re willing to take and we’re also willing to continue to negotiate.”

Recchi told the Inside Hockey Radio Show Saturday that he would love to come back and is willing to wait until Chiarelli figures everything else out first.

“We talked to Peter and he just left me a message a few minutes ago,” Recchi said. “The situation with Boston (is that Chiarelli) has got some things to figure out cap-wise. But Boston is my first choice and I’m going to give them every opportunity in the world to figure things out so I can go back there. They treated me great after I came there at the trade deadline, and I’m more than willing to give them a little extra time to figure things out.”

So Recchi — along with his veteran leadership and his ability to continue scoring — is ready if the Bruins want him back. But it appears that while they may want Recchi, Bitz, Hunwick and even some of the other free agents, Chiarelli needs to take the next 24 to 48 hours to get all of his pucks in the bucket.

Old
06-30-2009, 10:34 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
I like Knuble, and want him to stay, but if he thinks hes worth more than Lehtinen, Guerin, and Tkachuk, then let someone else pay him
It getting more than ONE year that's the hold up... I don't think he's as worried about the money... but he doesn't want to give up too much -- he has a family to consider.

Old
06-30-2009, 10:36 PM
billandsebastian

MSE. You bring the mind-blowing promptness.

So if there's no Knuble and we don't go after Pahlsson/Peca/Madden/etc, do we try to find a young kid in camp or look into Recchi?

Old
06-30-2009, 10:38 PM
billandsebastian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersJunky View Post
It getting more than ONE year that's the hold up... I don't think he's as worried about the money... but he doesn't want to give up too much -- he has a family to consider.
You forgot the sarcasm. He's been making millions of dollars for 10+ years. Unless he has a closet midget hooker and blow fetish, I think his family will be just fine whether he's making 1.5 or 2.5 for one or two years.

Old
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:

So if there's no Knuble and we don't go after Pahlsson/Peca/Madden/etc, do we try to find a young kid in camp or look into Recchi?
If Recchi is free to sign............

Old
FlyerX

Quote:
I feel like he got stronger on the puck this past year. He's not the most physical, so I'd like to see him grow into that role maybe a little bit more, along with working on the outlet pass. I think he's going to be a great #3/4 for us for awhile.
I was very pleased with what I saw this year compared with 07-08. He played mostly on the right side, which is tough for a L-handed shot. He does well in the physical end of things, because I think he reads plays and skates well so he gets good position on guys most of the time. He protects the mid-ice lane very well. That might be what he does best.

Old
06-30-2009, 10:42 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:

I'm not sure there is a need for a quick fix. Don't get a player for the sake of getting a player. Interesting, Edmonton radio mentioned signing Hossa and if that happens that someone like Souray would have to be dealt. Other teams could be in the same situation as moves are made. They are also talking Potulny as the 13th forward there.

I do like Pahlsson. When Chicago signed him, I had them as the trade deadline winner. Not that they were but I thought it was a good pickup for them.

Old
06-30-2009, 10:43 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
You forgot the sarcasm. He's been making millions of dollars for 10+ years. Unless he has a closet midget hooker and blow fetish, I think his family will be just fine whether he's making 1.5 or 2.5 for one or two years.
Being a late bloomer I don't think he cracked the million until be got it here after the Lockout... If you are talking giving up a million+ and taking a 40-50% discount to stay in Philly, who would not want their family to have that money? We are not talking you and I; we are talking about a person with a finite talent that has one contract left in him... He is not Terrell Owens and his many millions.

Old
06-30-2009, 10:50 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersJunky View Post
Being a late bloomer I don't think he cracked the million until be got it here after the Lockout... If you are talking giving up a million+ and taking a 40-50% discount to stay in Philly, who would not want their family to have that money? We are not talking you and I; we are talking about a person with a finite talent that has one contract left in him... He is not Terrell Owens and his many millions.
He's gotta feed his family, man.

Old
06-30-2009, 10:53 PM
FlyerX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
He's gotta feed his family, man.
Somebody will give Knuble what he's looking for. The Flyers had to upgrade the blueline and that costs money and cap space. They've got Maroon and JVR in the pipeline as wingers with size.

Just remember . . . Chad Larose.

Old
06-30-2009, 11:00 PM
flyersguy33*

whoops its 12 pm eastern

Old
06-30-2009, 11:06 PM
flyersguy33*

So is the Heatly deal official. He had to waive his no trade clause by 12 and if he didn't Ottawa owed him 4 million.

Reports are Heatly rejected the deal and I guess is now owed 4 million by Ottawa which means he will be harder to get. Am I right with all of this?

Old
06-30-2009, 11:09 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersguy33 View Post
whoops its 12 pm eastern
I think the thread should be changed now to Free Agency Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersguy33 View Post
So is the Heatly deal official. He had to waive his no trade clause by 12 and if he didn't Ottawa owed him 4 million.
On nhl.com, theres a headline saying Heatly to Edmonton

Old
06-30-2009, 11:11 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Actually... I have no idea. Half the sites said its done, the others said it is rejected. I dont know who to believe, so Im going to bed lol

Old
06-30-2009, 11:12 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Somebody will give Knuble what he's looking for. The Flyers had to upgrade the blueline and that costs money and cap space. They've got Maroon and JVR in the pipeline as wingers with size.

Just remember . . . Chad Larose.
It not always, 'size matters'... It's what one does with the size that does matter.

Seriously... Knuble brings more than size. His size did help him when he was a grunt of the 4th lines of Detroit and the Rags.

Old
06-30-2009, 11:15 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Actually... I have no idea. Half the sites said its done, the others said it is rejected. I dont know who to believe, so Im going to bed lol
Edmonton radio is still waiting, too.

One just called it a "cluster-blank."

"There is definitely some miscommunication somewhere."

Now they are making a parallel to the Lindros-Quebec-Philly-NYR trade.

Possibility on at what time the trade was made and that affects who pays the bonus to Heatley.

Old
billandsebastian

TSN confirms Heater deal is dead. Sucks to be an Oilers fan. That was a good trade for them.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=283382

Old
flyersguy33*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
The Heatly thread's in the rumor forum are so epic. Well worth the read.

Deal seems to be officially killed by Heatly. He should be well loved in Ottawa next season

Closed Thread