HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Why did Olivier Roy fall so far?

Old
06-29-2009, 12:00 PM
Schenn
Dirt Road Scholar

vCash: 500
Why did Olivier Roy fall so far?

Was he not suppost to be a high second round pick,
and one of the top goalies in the draft?
Why did he fall all the way to the 5th round?

Just Wonderin...

Schenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 12:02 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Because he is just a mediocre goalie in a really terrible crop of goalie prospects.

I'm shocked that one went 31st overall, to be honest. I didn't really see any of them that should have been picked before the 50th pick.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 12:04 PM
Skobel24
GO IGGY GO!

vCash: 50
when was Roy drafted anyways?

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 12:15 PM
Cush
-inator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skobel55 View Post
when was Roy drafted anyways?
Edmonton (5/133)

Cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 12:15 PM
Bulis hit

That's not true. Olivier Roy is a legit talent and, although he has ways to go before being a number 1 goalie in the NHL, it is a possibility he could reach that level. However, goalies, unless they have clear star potential, don't seem to be too interesting for teams. Especially if they have to wait 3-4-5 years before finding out if they can help or not. In the meantime, the team can probably find a Cristobal Huet who is not worth much, but is doing the job really well.

Also, I think it has to do with the Red Wings sucesses even though they don't have a really solid goaltender.

Bulis hit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 12:16 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulis hit View Post
That's not true. Olivier Roy is a legit talent and, although he has ways to go before being a number 1 goalie in the NHL, it is a possibility he could reach that level. However, goalies, unless they have clear star potential, don't seem to be too interesting for teams. Especially if they have to wait 3-4-5 years before finding out if they can help or not. In the meantime, the team can probably find a Cristobal Huet who is not worth much, but is doing the job really well.

Also, I think it has to do with the Red Wings sucesses even though they don't have a really solid goaltender.
He might be a "legit talent" but his talent is pretty mediocre.

So I guess he is "legit[ly] mediocre"

Old
06-29-2009, 12:18 PM
MitchRobichaud

Send a message via Skype™ to MitchRobichaud
I, for one, was totally shocked he dropped to the 5th round. I thought he was at wrost gonna be picked in the 3rd. He does have a ways to go, but i believe he could very possibly be the only legit NHL starter chosen in this draft.

MitchRobichaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 12:20 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

He is tiny.

If you look at the trend with goalies, its all about big guys with fantastic lateral movement.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 12:24 PM
Heaters not lazt*

I've heard a good bit of hype around him for a few weeks. Some mocks had him as high as a later-1st rounder... Anyone know if he had any attitude problems or were people just overrating him because of his last name?

Heaters not lazt* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 12:46 PM
Schenn
Dirt Road Scholar

icic

Schenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 01:15 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
He might be a "legit talent" but his talent is pretty mediocre.

So I guess he is "legit[ly] mediocre"
What the the hell are you talking about, he has a large amount of talent. His agility and lateral movement is not far off from Fleury when he was in Cape Breton and Roy has a very nice glove hand. Where people were scared off is that he is listed at 6 feet, closer to 5`10 and has a very thin frame. Everything else is correctable.

Jason MacIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 01:21 PM
Moseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
What the the hell are you talking about, he has a large amount of talent. His agility and lateral movement is not far off from Fleury when he was in Cape Breton and Roy has a very nice glove hand. Where people were scared off is that he is listed at 6 feet, closer to 5`10 and has a very thin frame. Everything else is correctable.
Agreed. By every scouting report I read on the guy he is both fairly technically sound and quite athletic. I wasn't big on any of the goalies this year but from what I've seen of him he looks to be as good as any of them.

Moseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 01:23 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
If he was not far off from Fleury, he'd be at the very least a 2nd round pick.

Sorry, but he's just not good. I've said that for a while and I was proven right, once again, at the draft when he fell.

There are a number of reasons he was not in my top 60. I had him pegged to fall to the 3rd or 4th round at the least.

Old
06-29-2009, 01:26 PM
Bonzai12

vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
It was preference. His draft position isn't so much about his ability as it was about the quality of the crop. Teams were probably just selecting who they thought fit their system or what their prototype of a goalie is. It's not like Roy was 5x better than the rest of the tenders out there.

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 01:32 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

He's small by today's standards, and didn't really progress this season and he was expected to. He was expected to take a big step forward, and instead only took a small step, if any. Also, he still hasn't corrected his bad habit of going down too early. And for a smallish goalie, that's a problem. Scouts probably expected he would work on and correct that problem this season, but he didn't. Yes, some things he does can be corrected, but that doesn't necessarily mean they will be, and scouts probably prefered bigger goalies with slightly better technique, even if talent-wise they might have been about the same.

That said, I expected that maybe he would fall to the 3rd round, but not 5th. He still has plenty of time to really improve his game to where a lot of people thought it would be right now looking one year ahead from the end of last season. If he does, the Oilers probably get the steal of this draft.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 01:40 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:

Sorry, but he's just not good. I've said that for a while and I was proven right, once again, at the draft when he fell.

There are a number of reasons he was not in my top 60. I had him pegged to fall to the 3rd or 4th round at the least.
Jonothan I have nothing against any goaltender who has played for the Eagles and Roy has the talent somewhere between Fleury and Pavelec, just no size. He plays nets much better then Pavelec who relied on his size and quickness down low to stop the puck. When Roy challenges the shooter he is very similar to Martin Biron when playing well. The difference between that three is that Roy has a cockyness about him which I love in goaltenders and a strong mental game. 30 NHL scouts always make mistakes with goaltenders. Roy, Hasek and Lundqvist. More recently Ray Emery and Mike Smith.

Old
06-29-2009, 01:49 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Jonothan I have nothing against any goaltender who has played for the Eagles and Roy has the talent somewhere between Fleury and Pavelec, just no size. He plays nets much better then Pavelec who relied on his size and quickness down low to stop the puck. When Roy challenges the shooter he is very similar to Martin Biron when playing well. The difference between that three is that Roy has a cockyness about him which I love in goaltenders and a strong mental game. 30 NHL scouts always make mistakes with goaltenders. Roy, Hasek and Lundqvist. More recently Ray Emery and Mike Smith.
I just have to completely disagree with you. Pavelec is still a much better pro prospect and he always was.

Roy has just not impressed all season long. There's a reason he slipped down the rankings all year. He just never took the next step he was supposed to take and was simply not as good as advertised.

He may very well make the NHL one day, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him only crack the AHL. He's not a safe prospect at all and I think his talent level was overrated. That and being tiny make him not a great bet.

Old
06-29-2009, 01:55 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Quote:
I just have to completely disagree with you. Pavelec is still a much better pro prospect and he always was.

Roy has just not impressed all season long. There's a reason he slipped down the rankings all year. He just never took the next step he was supposed to take and was simply not as good as advertised.

He may very well make the NHL one day, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him only crack the AHL. He's not a safe prospect at all and I think his talent level was overrated. That and being tiny make him not a great bet.
Well I have seen him over 30 times and beg to differ. I seen all those three goaltenders in junior well over 100 times combined.

Old
06-29-2009, 02:41 PM
mapes

Quote:
Well I have seen him over 30 times and beg to differ. I seen all those three goaltenders in junior well over 100 times combined.
I agree with you. I've only seen him about 6-8 times and as much as I hate Cape Breton (my teams rival) I always liked Roy. The kid has quite a bit of talent, just he's a bit small. He moves very quickly and potentially could be a big steal for Edmonton.

For the guy saying "why do you think he fell to round 5" remember Lundqvist and where he was picked? or Halak? Cujo and Belfour were never even drafted into the NHL. I think it's more because he's a goalie and teams don't normally pick them until late. Longer to develop and more questionable.

mapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 02:53 PM
ugotmybeef*

he doesn't have the makeup of a starting goaltender.

ugotmybeef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 02:59 PM
daethfromabove1979

i've seen this kid play quite a bit and was amazed at how far he fell

daethfromabove1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 03:04 PM
MitchRobichaud

Send a message via Skype™ to MitchRobichaud
Quote:

Hmmm... so when have you seen him play? I've seen him about 15 times live in the past 2 seasons and 10 or so on tv and 2 games isolation videos. I guess we'll have to wait and see, but in my eyes, Edmonton got a hell of a 5th rounder.

MitchRobichaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 03:05 PM
JrHockey89

Goalies are a crap shoot. A goalie that went undrafted this year and has what people on this board may call "the wrong makeup", "no amazing skills" or "the wrong body type" will probably be the best goalie from this years draft eligible goalies.

Goalies are the hardest prospects to get a read on, and their actual potential is not normally known until long after their draft year. Olivier Roy may end up not making the NHL, but to write him off at this point as a potential NHL goalie would be completely ridiculous.

JrHockey89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 03:06 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

vCash: 50
I think Mikko Koiskinen at 31st is a reach...but he's a good goalie prospect and could do well in this league.

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 03:11 PM
Jack Bauer

Quote:

Talent and potential are 2 different things.

Roy, due to not being a huge goalie, is projected as being the type of goalie who will get picked apart at a higher level. I don't think anyone will argue that.

But to say he has mediocre talent, as you've done, and to call him a mediocre goaltender, as you've also done, makes me question what you actually know about him.

To call Olivier Roy mediocre is nothing short of laughable since the kid's done nothing but impress for the past 2 seasons. Where the hell did he play hockey where he was mediocre, because it sure as hell wasn't Cape Breton.

Jack Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote