HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Why did Olivier Roy fall so far?

Old
06-29-2009, 03:14 PM
Jack Bauer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I just have to completely disagree with you. Pavelec is still a much better pro prospect and he always was.

Roy has just not impressed all season long. There's a reason he slipped down the rankings all year. He just never took the next step he was supposed to take and was simply not as good as advertised.

He may very well make the NHL one day, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him only crack the AHL. He's not a safe prospect at all and I think his talent level was overrated. That and being tiny make him not a great bet.
Not as good as advertised?

Seriously?

Jack Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 03:17 PM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
He is tiny.

If you look at the trend with goalies, its all about big guys with fantastic lateral movement.
Nothing a little Giguere/Nabokov syndrome won't fix

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 03:18 PM
jman66

being from the east coast and able to follow Roy quite closely i will say he probably has a 90% better chance than most of the forward or defensive prospects that were picked outside the 1st two rounds. The reason i'd say Roy dropped isn't becaues of his talent level or potenital but because more teams are realizing that it takes a lot longer to develop goaltenders that are not the "sure thing." The fact is it'll take 3-4 years minimum for him to develop and who knows who any teams starter will be then. It is just as easy to trade for, sign an undrafted free agent or sign a free agent than to spend 4 years developing a goalie. Roy does have a little bit of a size disadvatage but should be able to overcome it no problem as he is technically very good.

if you look at the number of first 2 round goalies in the past 10-15 years that have been busts (backups or AHL starter at best) you will see why most teams don't take goalies earlier. they are a huge gameble either way.

jman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 04:35 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
What the the hell are you talking about, he has a large amount of talent. His agility and lateral movement is not far off from Fleury when he was in Cape Breton and Roy has a very nice glove hand. Where people were scared off is that he is listed at 6 feet, closer to 5`10 and has a very thin frame. Everything else is correctable.
5'11 1/2 to be precise according to central scouting officialdom:

http://centralscouting.nhl.com/link3...rm&app=combine

So, really him being listed at 6' is correct since a fractional inch >= .5 is rounded up traditionally and certainly has been the case with players in this draft as well.

JawandaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 04:42 PM
cantwell7

vCash: 695
Quote:
Roy has just not impressed all season long. There's a reason he slipped down the rankings all year. He just never took the next step he was supposed to take and was simply not as good as advertised.

Roy has not impressed all year long ? Did you even see him play ?
He played in the Top Prospects game and was steller. He played in the ADT challenge vs the Russians and was the MVP in the game he played.

He had a very good season on his club team in Cape Breton . He will most likley be up for a postion on team Canada in December.

cantwell7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 05:40 PM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

vCash: 3500
The guy who did the interviews at the Bell Center ( RDS QJMHL/CHL Hockey guy ) had an interesting story about Olivier Roy today on Montreal sport radio CKAC :

Olivier Roy was ranked high but the rounds went by and he was still in the stands, waiting for his turn. He said Olivier has a lot of pride and he was so disgusted that he went back to his hotel with his Dad. He was not in the building when the Oilers selected him and came back a good half hour later.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 05:58 PM
Bad Will Hunting
It's my fault

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
Olivier Roy was ranked high but the rounds went by and he was still in the stands, waiting for his turn. He said Olivier has a lot of pride and he was so disgusted that he went back to his hotel with his Dad. He was not in the building when the Oilers selected him and came back a good half hour later.
Quitter

Bad Will Hunting is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 06:01 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by schenn29 View Post
Was he not suppost to be a high second round pick,
and one of the top goalies in the draft?
Why did he fall all the way to the 5th round?

Just Wonderin...
Because NHL Scouts don't work for HF Boards or CSB.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 06:02 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bauer View Post
Not as good as advertised?

Seriously?

I looooove all the Q followers jumping on me when I bash a 5th round pick of a guy who, predictably, fell down the rankings like a rock in water.

Love it.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 06:07 PM
Jack Bauer

Quote:
I looooove all the Q followers jumping on me when I bash a 5th round pick of a guy who, predictably, fell down the rankings like a rock in water.

Love it.
You obviously don't get it.

I said he'd fall before the draft. I'm not a puckbunny. But you're saying things that are just ridiculous like he has mediocre talent. I've seen players with good talent not get drafted at all so your whole argument that being mediocre led to his drafting is hilariously flawed.

Like I said, you have no clue the difference between talent and potential. They are 2 different things.

Jack Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 06:11 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:

Love it.
just wondering how many times you've seen him play and in what context? (reg season, playoffs, Prospects game, etc)

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 06:38 PM
cantwell7

Quote:

Love it.

I looooove how you cant answer a question like .. " How many times have you seen him play ? "

Love it

Most people thought he would fall . Your saying he has "mediocore talent " which is bizzare

Old
06-29-2009, 06:41 PM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Because NHL Scouts don't work for HF Boards or CSB.
Well, actually, there have been multiple hires out of CSB by NHL teams, and some scouts cross back and forth.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 07:01 PM
krom13

Quote:
Sorry, but he's just not good. I've said that for a while and I was proven right, once again, at the draft when he fell.
You were proven right that he isn't good because he was drafted later? You do realize how many players (especially goalies) come out of nowhere right?

krom13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 07:20 PM
cantwell7

Quote:
Originally Posted by krom13 View Post
You were proven right that he isn't good because he was drafted later? You do realize how many players (especially goalies) come out of nowhere right?
Very recently - Dustin Tokarski is an example . A guy picked later in the draft . Great find for Tampa

Old
06-29-2009, 07:25 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
Well, actually, there have been multiple hires out of CSB by NHL teams, and some scouts cross back and forth.
But CSB is it's own entity. It's not any different than 30 NHL teams having their own draft board. They may cross back and forth, but they don't do both at the same time. We just know what their draft board is before the draft, and while some people here actually do see these guys play (I know you do too), people tend to take the CSB draft board as gospel. Just as it only takes 1 NHL team to like someone enough to take them in the 2nd round as opposed to the 5th round, CSB (or other scouting services) may be the only ones to have Olivier Roy and Toni Rajala in their top 50. It's really all we have to look at for trying to gauge value of prospects before and during the draft.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 07:29 PM
Brandinho

Send a message via AIM to Brandinho Send a message via Skype™ to Brandinho
Quote:

Love it.
Probably because you're spouting off garbage about him not being talented. Anybody who knows even a little bit about goaltenders can tell by watching him that he has a lot of talent. Oh, right, you've never seen him play, have you?

Brandinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 07:35 PM
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter

Quote:
If he was not far off from Fleury, he'd be at the very least a 2nd round pick.

Sorry, but he's just not good. I've said that for a while and I was proven right, once again, at the draft when he fell.

There are a number of reasons he was not in my top 60. I had him pegged to fall to the 3rd or 4th round at the least.
You werent proven right...if he becomes a top 10 goalie in the NHL would you still be proven right??

Roy fell in the draft because hes ONLY 6'00 (more like 5'10 1/2)...thats it thats all.

LaLaLaprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 11:33 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:

Love it.
Because you haven't seen him play. Stop acting like you have.

Jason MacIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 11:35 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Because you haven't seen him play. Stop acting like you have.
I watched him play a number of times and I always came away underwhelmed. Again. Stop acting as if he's God and should have been taken in the 1st. Comparing him to MA Fleury is silly.

Old
06-29-2009, 11:37 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaLaprise View Post
You werent proven right...if he becomes a top 10 goalie in the NHL would you still be proven right??

Roy fell in the draft because hes ONLY 6'00 (more like 5'10 1/2)...thats it thats all.
So, he fell down in the rankings all year because he was small?

Sorry. Don't buy it. He fell because he was passed over by other goalies who put up similar numbers while he never really improved upon his previous season.

The Q homers are insane right now with this. God forbid a guy fall because he's just not that great.

It's the same with the Rajala homers.

Old
06-29-2009, 11:40 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
I watched him play a number of times and I always came away underwhelmed. Again. Stop acting as if he's God and should have been taken in the 1st. Comparing him to MA Fleury is silly.
If Olivier Roy was 6`2 175 he would have been a top 10 pick, its as simple as that. I will compare him to Fleury because he is very comparable. They are similar in style and athletic skill sets. Tell me what games you seen of him. Every national game he was amazing/lights out.

Why the hell was he invited to the WJC selection camp?

Jason MacIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 11:44 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
If Olivier Roy was 6`2 175 he would have been a top 10 pick, its as simple as that. I will compare him to Fleury because he is very comparable. They are similar in style and athletic skill sets. Tell me what games you seen of him. Every national game he was amazing/lights out.
Jason. I fully get that you love the Q and watch it a lot. I watch a number of games because they are easy to see online. I saw him play a lot because he was pretty hyped early on. Was called a top 10 pick last year and such.

Don't see why it's SO hard to believe that something, other than his size, would keep him out. He barely posted a .900 save percentage and neither you nor I know how he did in interviews.

If it's true that he got up and left during the draft, that kind of shows right there that he's pretty immature.

Old
06-29-2009, 11:46 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Why the hell was he invited to the WJC selection camp?
Well, the current goalie crop kind of sucks right now, all around, Jason. Gotta say, but I don't think there are many great goaltending prospects from Canada or the USA around who are WJC eligible.

Old
06-29-2009, 11:50 PM
VelvetJones

5 years people, go pick on some other kid.

VelvetJones is offline   Reply With Quote