HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Why did Olivier Roy fall so far?

Old
06-29-2009, 11:51 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Jason. I fully get that you love the Q and watch it a lot. I watch a number of games because they are easy to see online. I saw him play a lot because he was pretty hyped early on. Was called a top 10 pick last year and such.

Don't see why it's SO hard to believe that something, other than his size, would keep him out. He barely posted a .900 save percentage and neither you nor I know how he did in interviews.

If it's true that he got up and left during the draft, that kind of shows right there that he's pretty immature.
Say what you want about save %. When it comes down to it, in 14 shootout attempts he didn't give up a goal. He posted much better numbers in the playoffs then his regular season stats, both years. Will he be effective at the pro level? If he adjusts his style a little bit yes,. When your athletic, track a puck well and have a strong mental game on the ice, you will be effective. You don't believe me? Thats ok. Scouts don't beleive me? They have been wrong more then right when it comes to goaltenders.

Jason MacIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 12:20 AM
SuperUnknown

Quote:
So, he fell down in the rankings all year because he was small?

Sorry. Don't buy it. He fell because he was passed over by other goalies who put up similar numbers while he never really improved upon his previous season.

The Q homers are insane right now with this. God forbid a guy fall because he's just not that great.

It's the same with the Rajala homers.
Roy fell because he is small and teams are shying away from drafting goaltenders early for various reasons, including that by the time they're developed, they're almost UFAs.

If you take the top 25 starters from last year, only seven were past 1st round picks. Eleven goaltenders had been drafted in the first three rounds, and 14 had been drafted in round #4 or up. If those 14 (56%) are now in the NHL, why weren't they picked earlier?

I've seen Roy play as well and he looks like MA Fleury (who according to many posters on HF was a bust just two years ago). He is extremely competitive and was a standout on his team. Regardless of stats, he was one of the best QMJHL goaltenders (not like stats matters much for goaltenders as SV% and GAA are flawed stats anyway).

In the end, I don't really care who rated him where, but from my own eye, if I had to bet on a goaltender making it as a starter, I would have bet before the draft on Olivier Roy. Why wasn't he picked earlier, who knows, and my only guess is that he is small and tends to go down early. He is, without a doubt, better than say Jason Missiaen, who was picked for his size last year (I can't think of any other reason). I liked Roy better now and for the future than JF Berube.

SuperUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 12:24 AM
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter

Quote:
So, he fell down in the rankings all year because he was small?

Sorry. Don't buy it. He fell because he was passed over by other goalies who put up similar numbers while he never really improved upon his previous season.

The Q homers are insane right now with this. God forbid a guy fall because he's just not that great.

It's the same with the Rajala homers.
You have no clue what you are talking about...cut bait while u still can.

How is going from 3rd rd to 5th rd a drop?? You refer to us as Q homers...but who honestly had him going in the 1st rd? If you asked most knowledgeable Q fans theyd say middle 3rd rd. He went in the 5th...claiming victory is asinine. You think you know what youre talking about but you're looking like a fool. Keep up the good work.

LaLaLaprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 12:29 AM
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter

Quote:

You using numbers to gauge goalies...priceless...keep talking, making yourself look like a bigger fool.

LaLaLaprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 01:33 AM
oil slick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperUnknown View Post
Roy fell because he is small and teams are shying away from drafting goaltenders early for various reasons, including that by the time they're developed, they're almost UFAs.

If you take the top 25 starters from last year, only seven were past 1st round picks. Eleven goaltenders had been drafted in the first three rounds, and 14 had been drafted in round #4 or up. If those 14 (56%) are now in the NHL, why weren't they picked earlier?
I agree -- unless a goaltender is crazy good, it's not great strategy to draft them with good picks. They're too hard to predict, and even if they turn out, they'll be UFA's soon after they start to really help teams. The new CBA changed drafting of goaltenders.

oil slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 02:03 AM
Spamhuis

In the new NHL you have to be 6"2 plus to be an elite goalie. Don't say Tim Thomas, he got lucky with the real legit starters injured or on ****** teams. MAF > Osgood in the playoffs.

Spamhuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 03:48 AM
Brandinho

Send a message via AIM to Brandinho Send a message via Skype™ to Brandinho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Kesler View Post
In the new NHL you have to be 6"2 plus to be an elite goalie. Don't say Tim Thomas, he got lucky with the real legit starters injured or on ****** teams. MAF > Osgood in the playoffs.
Tim Thomas stats in the NHL (219 games): 2.62 GAA, .918 save %

He's improved by leaps and bounds every year.

Yeah, he's totally lucky.

Brandinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 06:52 AM
IBLeaf*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaLaprise View Post
You using numbers to gauge goalies...priceless...keep talking, making yourself look like a bigger fool.
Once again Jonathan doesn't know what he's talking about. Blaming the homers for his ignorance... hilarious.

IBLeaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 06:56 AM
grabo84

I've only seen Roy a few times, away games and stuff like that, but I was never too impressed. I wouldn't have expected him to go any higher than at most the third round, so he really didn't drop. His size was a knock against him, I have no idea why so many people (primarily on the Leafs board it seemed) thought he was a first round talent throughout the year.

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 07:22 AM
cantwell7

vCash: 695
Jonathan since your an expert on goalies .. how would you compare him to J-F Berube , just based on numbers like you were saying .

cantwell7 is offline   Reply With Quote