HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Torts tells team "Hank is the only one with a guarenteed spot!

Old
06-29-2009, 03:01 PM
satrabyk

vCash: 500
How could Sather ever say anyone is overpricing there client when he pays his players way more than they deserve. As far as i am concerned the only player that Antro is less worth on this team is Hank and i am completely honest. This is what happens Sather when u pay **** too much money.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 03:03 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
The thing that makes me like this is that Tortorella is someone who WILL follow through on this....he isn't just going to say it for the press and fans. He is definitely a no BS guy.
That's exactly why he'll get much more out of his players than Renney could ever do.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 03:10 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Well he can start with win a playoff series. Or make the playoffs next season. Things that Renney managed to do.
Can't compare. Renney had Jagr, Tortorella doesn't. Had Renney not been fired, he wouldn't have made the playoffs in his first Jagrless year. That's a fact. Sure the team quit on him, but that is what it is.

WhipNash27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 03:12 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Renny had Jagr ....agreed

plus they had an oddity of a super hot start to the season without those first 20 games this team would have missed the playoffs for sure

06-29-2009, 03:13 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Well he can start with win a playoff series. Or make the playoffs next season. Things that Renney managed to do.
true.

he was up 3-1. had it not been for sean avery freaking out and a water bottle being thrown, he probably would have accomplished the first one.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 03:18 PM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
heres the thing though...im not on the "bench gomez and drury" bandwagon. never have, never will be. why? because youre getting from them exactly when they are supposed to give you. 50-60 points, with competent 2-way games. no amount of benchings is going to change that. all i care about is that the players who are playing the best should play the most minutes on a game in and game out basis, and i have seen torts do that already in his time here. ive seen callahans playign time sky rocket, and ive seen colton orrs playing time sink like an anchor...thats the way it should be.

he wanted staal and girardi to match up with AO, they couldnt do it, so he immediately moved to rozsival and redden who did a superb job.

Torts' in game feel is what i love the most. he rewards in game positivity with more ice time, and conversely sits you when you are playing like crap.

i dont think gomez and drury necessarily play like crap on most nights...i think they are what they are. which is why i think we need to get rid of them altogether, not worry about benching them..and that falls on Sather, not Torts.
agreed

I'm most encouraged by that fact that he rewards hard work with ice time. A full season of that is going to be huge for guys like dubi and cally

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 03:21 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
Naslund saw this coming a mile away....

training camp will be Gruelling
I mean, these are what make guy's Stanley Cup caliber coaches. I mean this is a training camp. Not splitting up teams and playing paint ball in the woods so guys can become like family and everyone gets the warm fuzzies.

The team will play 60 minutes. I know the Islanders got rid of Ted Nolan but he always coached good teams as well. Took a similar approach as "Torts" in making sure his team was in tip top. That Isles team he coached had no business being anywhere near the playoffs but yet they got the 8th seed. With a bunch of no names. And then announcers would say something like "this team doesn't give up."

No, they don't give up because they're not conditioned to play 60 minutes. They're conditioned to play at least a 70 minute game this way 60 minutes is like a breeze.

Old
06-29-2009, 03:30 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
Can't compare. Renney had Jagr, Tortorella doesn't. Had Renney not been fired, he wouldn't have made the playoffs in his first Jagrless year. That's a fact. Sure the team quit on him, but that is what it is.
Tortorella is the reason why the team made the playoffs in the first place.The way I look at it. It's the other way around. Jagr and his Czech mates had Renney. Jagr and his home boys could play how ever they wanted to play when they were here. So of course that was a match made in heavan. The big baby couldn't have his way in Washingtion and that's why we picked him up for i think Carter? I can barely remember the name. Lets see if Renney can manage to win a Stanley Cup. Something that Tortorella did do. Renney was not respected by his players.

Old
06-29-2009, 03:38 PM
Gardner McKay
Cupcake schedule.

vCash: 1179
Quote:
Renney didnt win a playoff series in his first year here. As a matter of fact he didnt win a single game.

At least we were on the verge of beating a Washington team that was without a doubt hands and feet above us.

Torts had us in position to take what would have been the biggest upset of the playoffs along with Anaheim/San Jose.

Now, am I saying he has nothing to prove? Hell no, he still has alot to prove but he is off to a good start.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 03:40 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
How is that a fact?

06-29-2009, 03:41 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravytrain6t View Post
Tortorella is the reason why the team made the playoffs in the first place.The way I look at it. It's the other way around. Jagr and his Czech mates had Renney. Jagr and his home boys could play how ever they wanted to play when they were here. So of course that was a match made in heavan. The big baby couldn't have his way in Washingtion and that's why we picked him up for i think Carter? I can barely remember the name. Lets see if Renney can manage to win a Stanley Cup. Something that Tortorella did do. Renney was not respected by his players.
Yeah, Renney did give Jagr and his buddies freedom. However, what I meant was that Renney had Jagr and Tortorella doesn't have anyone with even a remotely similar talent level.

WhipNash27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 03:46 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Dubinsky View Post
Renney didnt win a playoff series in his first year here. As a matter of fact he didnt win a single game.

At least we were on the verge of beating a Washington team that was without a doubt hands and feet above us.

Torts had us in position to take what would have been the biggest upset of the playoffs along with Anaheim/San Jose.

Now, am I saying he has nothing to prove? Hell no, he still has alot to prove but he is off to a good start.
Lundqvist and Jar were both hurt...right?

How many playoff games was Tom Penney suspended for?
Posted via Mobile Device

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 03:54 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
I mean, these are what make guy's Stanley Cup caliber coaches. I mean this is a training camp. Not splitting up teams and playing paint ball in the woods so guys can become like family and everyone gets the warm fuzzies.
That was just Renney's way and it got about as good a result as those teams were capable of getting.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 03:55 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
Lundqvist and Jar were both hurt...right?

How many playoff games was Tom Penney suspended for?
Posted via Mobile Device
Being the gentle man and just the overall nice guy that Renney is. Probably none.

Old
06-29-2009, 03:58 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
That was just Renney's way and it got about as good a result as those teams were capable of getting.
under Renney.

Yes but now I could ask the same question like Singin blues on broadway did. How is that a fact?

Old
06-29-2009, 04:00 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Ugh how did this thread turn into a Renney v. Tortorella pissing match?

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 04:00 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Tortorella is the reason why the team made the playoffs in the first place.
Couldn't be the fact that three of the better players on the team while Tortorella was here weren't here when Renney was. Pretty sure the playoffs had a lot more to do with that.

Quote:
The way I look at it. It's the other way around. Jagr and his Czech mates had Renney. Jagr and his home boys could play how ever they wanted to play when they were here. So of course that was a match made in heavan. The big baby couldn't have his way in Washingtion and that's why we picked him up for i think Carter? I can barely remember the name.
Of course they were allowed to play however they wanted. The team was horrible. Who was going to score? 36 year old Rucchin? Jason Ward? What did you expect them to do? The only chance this team had of winning anything, which unfortunately was the order from above given to Renney, obviously, was to get the most out of Jagr and the players specifically signed to make him happy and elevate his game.

Quote:
Lets see if Renney can manage to win a Stanley Cup. Something that Tortorella did do. Renney was not respected by his players.
Tortorella also had a stacked team, Renney never has. And Tortorella's players quit on him, thus the last place finish at his last job.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 04:08 PM
Chimp

This is also tactics from Torts. The message to the entire team is: come prepared or you will face hell.

What I don't get is why the team doesn't get a sports psychologist to train the players (and staff) in the mental part of the game. Or do they have one? Or is the mentality among macho hockey players that psychology is "lame"?

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 04:16 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Yeah. The Red Wings do that stuff. What could they possibly know about Stanley Cups?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1zpNAbvIgs

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 04:25 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Good to hear.

People love to find faults with Torts though huh? Guy is laying it all out there and even before he has a chance to follow through or demand the most of his players, yet people are writing it off as a joke.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 04:31 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
People love to find faults with Torts though huh?
Oh the irony, FLY!

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 04:32 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
Good to hear.

People love to find faults with Torts though huh? Guy is laying it all out there and even before he has a chance to follow through or demand the most of his players, yet people are writing it off as a joke.
what he is saying is its wide open in camp.......and honestly on D it really will be

Whatever young player comes in and takes the job earns it

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 04:37 PM
gravytrain6t

[QUOTE=Sting36e;20138926]Couldn't be the fact that three of the better players on the team while Tortorella was here weren't here when Renney was. Pretty sure the playoffs had a lot more to do with that. "

Yes because Antropov and Morris came here. That's Tortorella's fault. WOW. You actually like moves that Sather made? Which one was your favorate? Antropov or Morris? Avery came late when the Rangers weren't playing well under Renney as well. So do you actually think Antropov and Morris would have made that much of a difference. The team had nothing. They were flat. Tortorella didn't have Jagr and Straka coming off a lockout. So what.

[B]"[B]Of course they were allowed to play however they wanted. The team was horrible. Who was going to score? 36 year old Rucchin? Jason Ward? What did you expect them to do? The only chance this team had of winning anything, which unfortunately was the order from above given to Renney, obviously, was to get the most out of Jagr and the players specifically signed to make him happy and elevate his game.[/B]"[/B]
I expected them to do like you wanted Sting. Lose, so we can get top ten picks. "The only proven method." At least in Washington, their coach had the balls to tell Jagr how he was going to play. Jagr cried. End of story. Renney let Jagr and his teammates run the show to save his own ass. Do you think Sather is going to tell Tortorella how to coach?

Tortorella also had a stacked team, Renney never has. And Tortorella's players quit on him, thus the last place finish at his last job.[/QUOTE]

Tortorella made Lecavalier and Richards who they were. The team appeared stacked because Tortorella is a terrific coach.

Hold on a sec. That was Barry Melrose's team. Not Tortorella's. And even if it was. Keeenan coached many team in the NHL and was fired. Does that make him a poor coach?
I'll say it again to you. Messier drove Renney out of Vancouver just like he drove Roger Neilson out. I'll take Messier's judgement 10 times out of 10 as opposed to yours.

Last edited by gravytrain6t: 06-29-2009 at 04:43 PM.
Old
06-29-2009, 04:45 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Oh the irony, FLY!

I wasn't on Renney case until a year and a half ago when it was very obvious the guy could not get enough out of his team and coaches walked all over him in the playoffs with his predictable style and inability to change his style over a course of a game.

How about we give Torts a full season at the very least?

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2009, 04:49 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
Yeah. The Red Wings do that stuff. What could they possibly know about Stanley Cups?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1zpNAbvIgs
Thanks for the footage. Although i skipped that part. Renney was not coaching the Red Wings. Maybe after they played paint ball, then they got into shape. It's also not fair to compare Babcock and Renney who will never win a Cup in this league.