HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Bettman's Unpopularity

Closed Thread

Old
06-28-2009, 02:17 PM
Egblad
I May Be The Stig

vCash: 500
Bettman's Unpopularity

I know a lot of NHL fans are unhappy with the induction of southern franchises in Florida, Phoenix etc. As a reason to not like Bettman, but I'm curious are there many more reasons for the vast majority of NHL fans not liking him?

Old
06-28-2009, 02:20 PM
eric71*

He resembles a weasel more-so than a human being

Old
06-28-2009, 02:21 PM
Bear of Bad News
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 663
Two things immediately come to mind:

(1) He's the most prominent figure in the top league of a sport with very passionate fans, so just about anything the league does (good or bad) is going to be viewed through that light.

(2) People are much more likely to speak up about something if they're unhappy with a decision than if they're happy with a decision.

Old
06-28-2009, 02:45 PM
projexns
Re-tooled and ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booootthh View Post
I know a lot of NHL fans are unhappy with the induction of southern franchises in Florida, Phoenix etc. As a reason to not like Bettman, but I'm curious are there many more reasons for the vast majority of NHL fans not liking him?
22 - 8
or
21 - 9

If that was the ratio of U.S. teams to Canadian teams, then I would have no complaints whatsoever with the NHL trying anything else.

Go ahead and try to grow the game in new markets. Go ahead and try to land that huge network TV deal (although I go back as far as CBS Sunday afternoon games during the Orr-era, and believe that after 40 years, only the most ignorant still cling to this goal). Knock yourselves out. I would support it.

I'm also worried about the current way of thinking (applied to questionable markets) that says that as long as you ice a winner, the fans will support it.

Well, we're now in a situation where only half of the teams will make the playoffs in a 30-team league. In the former 21-team league where 16 made the playoffs, there would be very few periods of non-playoff hockey for any given franchise.

Does this mean that some U.S. teams will be going in and out of crisis, based on whether they are in the top half of the league, or the bottom-half?

The Canadian teams on the other hand encounter problems when one issue beyond their control, the currency exchange rate becomes so extreme. But the fan-support itself is a foregone conclusion.

As long as Canadian fans and Canadian markets are taken for granted, I have a big problem with the present model. Remember your roots, and remember where you came from.

Old
06-28-2009, 02:55 PM
Evil Doctor
Cryin' Hank crying

As a result of a recent court case with the NHLPA, it appears that Gary Bettman also steals from widows and orphans. Not that it surprises me....

Old
06-28-2009, 03:25 PM
r0bert8841

Send a message via AIM to r0bert8841
I hate him because
A) He sets his whole marketing plan around one player, Sidney Crosby, and fans of teams that don't have this player (in this case Sidney Crosby) are often annoyed because they believe the top player on their team is awesome too and deserves to be on comercials but instead it is just Crosby Crosby Crosby.
B) He often avoids answering questions with a negative response by either changing the subject or out-right lying. For example everyone knew their was a problem in PHO yet everytime something was asked about it he would say everything was fine.

Old
06-28-2009, 04:16 PM
GSC2k2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Doctor View Post
As a result of a recent court case with the NHLPA, it appears that Gary Bettman also steals from widows and orphans. Not that it surprises me....
That is slanderous, actually.

Old
06-28-2009, 04:25 PM
Fugu

vCash:
I'm not seeing the relevancy of this thread to the Business board.

I'm open to hearing why it should be re-opened, but for now, I'm locking the thread. It most likely will denigrate into vitriolic hyperbole if some of the posts already deleted are any evidence of a trend.

Closed.

Closed Thread