HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Brett McLean put on Waivers

Old
06-30-2009, 02:42 PM
aqsw
PM

vCash: 50
Who's Brett McLean???

aqsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 02:54 PM
Rattrick

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqsw View Post
Who's Brett McLean???
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brett_McLean

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 02:58 PM
FlaPanthers7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pukboy5kroner View Post
Nail on the head. I said the same thing when JM was expecting McLean to improve on his goal numbers this past season.
He also scored 15 goals on the Avs' 3rd line before we signed him. Everyone thought he was a blossoming 2nd/3rd liner when we signed him. It's a shame but it happens.

I wonder if the Panthers have Komiserak on the radar come midnight if Leo doesn't sign...

FlaPanthers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 03:37 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
Is it possible to NOT spread out the cap cost to two years? If we have the space next year, why not use the whole 1,133 mill 2009-2010? If you can do that, does it affect payment timetable (since we have a self-imposed cap)?
I don't think so, but I don't know for sure. I don't think it's ever been done before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPanthers7 View Post
He also scored 15 goals on the Avs' 3rd line before we signed him. Everyone thought he was a blossoming 2nd/3rd liner when we signed him. It's a shame but it happens.

I wonder if the Panthers have Komiserak on the radar come midnight if Leo doesn't sign...
Yeah, he scored roughly the same amount of points in 06-07 as he did in 07-08 with us. And he wasn't playing on the top 2 lines with the Avs all the time. We didn't give him 1.7 without good reason, and besides that's a pretty good contract in free agency for a 30+ point guy.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 04:36 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Is it possible to NOT spread out the cap cost to two years? If we have the space next year, why not use the whole 1,133 mill 2009-2010? If you can do that, does it affect payment timetable (since we have a self-imposed cap)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
I don't think so, but I don't know for sure. I don't think it's ever been done before.
I just looked over the NHL CBA and in Exhibit 21 (the Buy-Out agreement) it gives the team the ability to put how many seasons and the amount. Now the way I read & understand it, the reason why no team would NOT spread it out over the 2 yrs is its not just the cap cost but the actual payment cost. So FL's self-imposed cap would probably prevent them from not spreading it out over 2 yrs. If it was just about cap space, I could see teams using that to circumvent the cap and basically against what the whole CBA was about in the first place.

If anyone ever wants to read the CBA, the NHL has it stored on their servers (Exhibit 21 is actually on page 322 if you want to go straight there). Below is the link.

http://www.nhl.com/cba/2005-CBA.pdf

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 05:11 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
I just looked over the NHL CBA and in Exhibit 21 (the Buy-Out agreement) it gives the team the ability to put how many seasons and the amount. Now the way I read & understand it, the reason why no team would NOT spread it out over the 2 yrs is its not just the cap cost but the actual payment cost. So FL's self-imposed cap would probably prevent them from not spreading it out over 2 yrs. If it was just about cap space, I could see teams using that to circumvent the cap and basically against what the whole CBA was about in the first place.

If anyone ever wants to read the CBA, the NHL has it stored on their servers (Exhibit 21 is actually on page 322 if you want to go straight there). Below is the link.

http://www.nhl.com/cba/2005-CBA.pdf
So what you're saying is we'd actually have to pay McLean more to have the buyout count against the cap for only one season?

Old
06-30-2009, 05:16 PM
Georgia Panther

actually I thought a player gets his entire buyout in one lump sum regardess how the club chooses to count it against the cap.

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 05:38 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
So what you're saying is we'd actually have to pay McLean more to have the buyout count against the cap for only one season?
No it will be the same total amount to be paid. I'm just saying that most teams would not want to pay $1.133M in one yr as opposed to spreading it out over 2 yrs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
actually I thought a player gets his entire buyout in one lump sum regardess how the club chooses to count it against the cap.
Nope, not according to Exhibit 21. It clearly states that the team will pay the player in semi-monthly installments assuming a fixed number of pay periods per season. But the player can pledge the payout obligation to a 3rd party in order to receive a lump sum...the team still pays the buyout on a scheduled basis.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 01:48 PM
Tuco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
No it will be the same total amount to be paid. I'm just saying that most teams would not want to pay $1.133M in one yr as opposed to spreading it out over 2 yrs.Nope, not according to Exhibit 21. It clearly states that the team will pay the player in semi-monthly installments assuming a fixed number of pay periods per season. But the player can pledge the payout obligation to a 3rd party in order to receive a lump sum...the team still pays the buyout on a scheduled basis.
Coolburn, thank you for the work you did!!!

Basically it looks to me like they could take the whole hit next year, if they are prepared to make the payments also next year (instead of over two years). So, it's possible, since we are not spending up to the cap next year anyway. And since we are not spending up to the cap, we are not trying to go around the basic idea of a hard cap. Right?

Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 01:49 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Coolburn, thank you for the work you did!!!

Basically it looks to me like they could take the whole hit next year, if they are prepared to make the payments also next year (instead of over two years). So, it's possible, since we are not spending up to the cap next year anyway. And since we are not spending up to the cap, we are not trying to go around the basic idea of a hard cap. Right?
We have a budget though and will be hard pressed to fill out the roster as it is. We can't take the hit in one year.

Old
07-01-2009, 01:57 PM
Tuco

Quote:
We have a budget though and will be hard pressed to fill out the roster as it is. We can't take the hit in one year.
So it looks like, my point was just to know whether it's possible. We seem to have the option if we want to use it. It's up to Sexton (or whoever) to decide whether to use it or not. But basically I agree with you.

Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 04:54 PM
Great8Cam

Why not send him to the Amerks and if he refuses we suspend him and his salary is wiped out all together. If he reports then he will be a good Vet there.

Great8Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2009, 08:22 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great8Cam View Post
Why not send him to the Amerks and if he refuses we suspend him and his salary is wiped out all together. If he reports then he will be a good Vet there.
We won't pay him that much to play in the AHL. We're not a rich team. Rangers can do that. Leafs too. Not us.

Old
07-04-2009, 07:10 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Has McLean been bought out yet? Haven't seen anything official, how long do they have?

07-04-2009, 07:20 AM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Has McLean been bought out yet? Haven't seen anything official, how long do they have?
He's gone. Sexton said so at the time of the Leopold signing that the buyout was completed.

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2009, 07:36 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Thanks GP

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote